Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Call him Arthur.

Trust me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kallev posted:

I don't want to be the guy who posts those half-spoilers with the sly wink, but I must say something. We've just been introduced to the shadiest, most mysterious character in the Rune Factory series. And it isn't Arthur. Well, I guess the most mysterious, for all I know the game lays everything out about this character and I just never had the right conversation in my game.

But we haven't actually visited the request box yet? :confused:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, i do have the entire game's english script in a text file somewhere, if that would help :v:

Sadly i can't just put it into pastebin, because apparently pastebin has a 512KB file limit. The things you learn...

(the game's script has 99,572 entries, this does not include strings like names, people, items, their descriptions etc)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, crazy huge for a text file. :v: It's 3.6 MB of plain text.

I've removed the in-game linebreaks and gave each "dialogue entry" its own line. Aside from that, though, it's just like i ripped it straight from the game files. Which means you'll have to do some search&replace when copying from it, since the lines can look like this:

@しゅじんこうくん@, +Happy Birthday+!

Where the @-enclosed words are placeholders for items or character names, or just gender-specific words. And the +-enclosed ones are highlighted words.

Though they're not labeled in any way, as far as i can tell consecutive lines for dialogues and such are usually in order, so if you search for a line at the start of a dialogue, you'll usually find the rest of the dialogue, too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkmdl5inimgpt6n/RF4_Script.txt?dl=0

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, there's.... Arthur? The boring choice, but a decent guy. Can surprise you in little ways. Not really exotic, but a solid husband. also, royalty
Basically all other bachelors can eat a dick, though. Endless bumbling and failure aren't funny. Get hosed, horse dude. And don't get me started on ~mysteriously mature riddling koan wannabe~ or dwarves.
The only other good choice is sadly a kid. :gonk:

edit: the most charming and :3: choice for bachelorettes is sadly also a kid, so at least there's gender equality, i guess

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 2, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think Margaret might be the closest to being "a real person" instead of a walking talking stereotype. And apparently she's some kind of reference / throwback to an earlier RF? I have only played this one.
I want to like Xiao Pai but she's too relentless on her gimmick. She uses it kinda effectively most of the time, to be fair, but TOO MUCH

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
A golden cabbage!? :eyepop:
I didn't know that was possible!

For reference, when he says it "takes 4 months to grow", he means more like "4 seasons". The game's year is separated into 4 seasons, each one 30 days long.
That said, it takes 90 days to grow, which is 3 seasons or "only most of a year".

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tarezax posted:

Raven still cute.

By the way, you guys may enjoy a little manga called The Delicious Dungeon (or Dungeon Meshi). It's about a party of adventurers who lose one of their members in a battle gone wrong and have to dive the dungeon to rescue her, eating dungeon flora and fauna along the way. There's a Rune Factory-esque bit where they harvest vegetables grown on the back of earth golems.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/dungeon-meshi-r13871

Funny you would mention that here. I've just come to the conclusion that the author can basically do no wrong. I wish she was born 20 years earlier, so i'd have access to many more of her works.
Dungeon Meshi is real, real loving good in what it does: Being a fantasy world that works like common RPGs, but with the main character being Naked "But how does it taste?" Snake. Even if you've normally got no interest in manga, if you're here to read this LP you'll probably enjoy this.

It also has interesting spins on the usual adventure challenges and troubles: Okay, beating a living armor is one thing, but... what about the most important thing?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

silversatyr posted:

Seriously, why can't we date the flower detective?!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe it'll be an allusion to immigration, and soon you'll have older town-peoples complaining about all the newcomers stealing their jobs.

Heh, funny you should say that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Aesclepia posted:

Not to get too off-topic, but that's been grinding my gears for years that Harvest Moon couldn't move past 1950 in gender relations. Let me date whoever the gently caress I want to! Then again, I resort to naming my main character very gendered names or very neutral ones and pretendings, so.

I think our hero should be a little more surprised that he punched a butterfly monster and a girl popped out, btw.

Look the main character just got amnesia and their first memory is falling 300 feet onto the head of the mayor of a town, who's a dragon and also a divine figure.
Then they step outside and the mailbox starts talking to them.

If this is you first conscious experience: all bets are off, nothing else is strange, you have no internal arbiter for weirdness anymore.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

thetruegentleman posted:

Also, come on Art, there's literally one loving person/thing in the town with V-e-n at the start of their name, and you already know they like casual nicknames; this is not hard. Ask the obvious questions:

1. Why was there a bridge there in the past.
2. Why isn't it there now.

..don't ask about the names though, because badgering a dragon when it doesn't want to talk about it is probably a bad idea.

In a twist nobody expects, Ven is actually shorthand for Ventriloquist

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i mean it's not exactly subtle just look at her, she has inhuman eyes, she's talking about a Dolly *wink wink* and always speaks in quotation marks, oh maybe we've seen something like that before?

oh yeah it's when someone's trying to talk as someone else, like Eliza impersonating Dylan here

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Truthkeeper posted:

I wish I had audio clips for stuff like that. And music, I would kill to be able to link the relevant bits of the soundtrack, but I've never had any luck finding it.

Well, the entire audio folder for the game is ~860 MBs big, and that's in the compressed sound format the 3DS uses, so not exactly easy to ferry around on the net. I can zip you up the Volkanon lines though http://www115.zippyshare.com/v/4Bw8g8Pz/file.html

You'll need some way to play back these "Gamecube" adpcm files though, like VGMStream https://www.hcs64.com/vgmstream.html

edit: May i recommend the voice line 0097a

edit2: also the best Ho-ho-ho is at 0137

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 22, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, Dolce. Not far off from a strange fetish caricature.

Margaret is the one who comes closest to being an actual person instead of an amalgam of kinks, and that's saying a lot considering she's an elf. The only sensible choice.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So would you prefer that the literal god in the setting with a vested interest in how it turns out actually does nothing, instead

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's much more effective if you don't take away the twist that the game isn't over ahead of time like Truthkeeper did. The game's kinda open-ended in its farming business and it took me like 20 hours to arrive at that point anyways, so i wouldn't have batted an eye if the more out-there plants were a thing for the post-game.
It doesn't really come across well in just screenshots either, but the overly melodramatic forced heroic sacrifice with that music, rising into a floating, fading background, complete with credit roll that then gets interrupted mid-way, is extemely funny the first time you see it. Especially with the stereotypical buildup throughout the whole preceding level, dreamlike vanishing landscapes, echoes of your friend's voices and all that. Even if you can kinda see it coming, the game pushes the act just far enough along that you start to doubt yourself, and then pulls through.

It's one of my favorite fake-outs in motion, actually. Shame it gets mangled by the format here. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Truthkeeper posted:

Oh come on now, 90% of their dialogue is the same, it's only in the gender based scenes (so the romance and sleepover scenes, and a small number of others) that are different. Frey's romantic dialogue is better, I'll admit. And I will definitely give you that Frey has better voice acting than Lest, but it's hard to take seriously a woman that wears soda can tabs on her nipples.

This is the entire reason why i unlocked the night gown or whatever it's called ASAP for Frey and basically wore it as the default clothes from then on. It works as a surprisingly convincing "summer dress" as well, and isn't ridiculously overdesigned garbage.

• Locked thread