Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

Clearly, I need to start posting updates more often. Pulling the screenshots since I last updated, over 2400 files and still climbing. Mind you, I'll lose at least 2/3 of those to deduplication, and use less than half of what's left, but still, I usually don't have nearly this many.
Screenshotting long game sessions: Not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Dylas doesn't just contain tsundere. He's tsundere incarnate. With horse ears.

Missed some img tags.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

There will be no development for Illuminata. She pretty much just has the one layer. If you scratch under that detective surface, you just find another detective.
Makes you wonder how she doesn't get sick of her own schtick over the however long an elf lives in RF land.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:eng101: That giant tree can also give you fruit tree seeds, which are marginally more useful. At least if you're like me and can't be assed to gamble on random fruit drops out in the dungeons.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And use scrap metal and iron(seriously, you'll have a shitton more iron than you'll ever use) to grind upgrades for skill. The only reason to use turnip seeds is if you have literally nothing else to use, but lower tier metals are so plentiful that problem quickly solves itself.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly I'm wondering how they even got into this situation in the first place. It sounds like divine dragons run out of runes to generate after a long time, so there's not actually a rune crisis, it's just that the guardians have been keeping Ventus alive long past her natural lifespan. Ventus was apparently out of the loop on the whole thing, so what did the guardians do, all get together and find an Earthmate and decide they should force Ventus to live forever? And so let's assume that we find some magic plot bullshit that lets us fix the rune problems and Ventus gets to keep living, what happens when she inevitably outlives everyone in the town? She says she tried not to be friends with people so no one would try to become a guardian ever again, but has she forgotten that people can die from other reasons than becoming guardians?

I've got a lot of questions for Rune Factory 4 :colbert:
The answer is always that people love Ventuswill way too damned much. To the point of not letting the natural cycle take its course. Even when she's insisting that she should be allowed to die.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Forte. Anyone who can hold their own in combat while wearing a visor instead of an actual helmet is alright by me.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
This new area is basically the game bonking you on the head and reminding you to stay current on crafting. It's really obvious about it too, even aside from the difficulty spike. Fire dungeon, sudden availability of water weapons. Hint hint.

Truthkeeper posted:

...I just wanted to try a new place for fishing. I know it's dangerous... but I couldn’t resist. Fishing's not only about the fish itself, but finding the right spots to catch 'em, you know? Deciding what bait to use, and where to throw it... It's all part of the fun of the sport!
That should be Dylas' portrait.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Every RF game has at least one eligible-seeming character you're unable to date for no apparent reason. It's the law.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Honestly at this point it's in the same vein of "why does a character's well-being always have to be referred to as HP?" Like sure you could call it DYCTBYD (damage you can take before you die) but HP is just such an ingrained video game term that pretty much anyone who has played a game before will know what it means so why bother calling it something that will confuse people just for the sake of being different? People just inherently know that bronze is less valuable than silver, and attaching crafting to that eases the burden of knowledge where you would otherwise be memorizing some weird hierarchy of obscure metals or pretend metals.
On the flip side you get games like Dwarf Fortress, where the metal system is detailed to the point of having to remember what's better for blunt vs edged weapons. Which is fine in DF, where excessive attention to detail is part of the charm, but wouldn't really work in other games.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Changing my vote from Forte to Dolce, since she's more interesting than Margaret and actually stands a chance of winning.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
It makes a bit more sense with some event-only backstory: Forte's fear of ghosts started after she, her dad, and Kiel regularly visited the spooky mansion to train, where Kiel was a bit too insistent on trying to lure ghosts out. Forte is heavily implied to have been freaked the gently caress out by actually seeing some, and coincidentally that's when she started being afraid of them. The end.

RF4 has a bad habit of putting explanations like that in events(which are completely random, so you might never see them), and oftentimes events for one bachelor/ette. So if you don't date the right person(or look up their events on youtube), or get lucky with events, a lot of this stuff will pass you by. It's not always stuff that's a major plot point in the events, either - what I spoilered is from a few throwaway lines in Kiel's and Forte's marriage events.

silversatyr posted:

It's one thing to be scared, it's another to deny that fear through denial of the existence of the thing you're very clearly afraid of.
I'm pretty sure that part's just Rune Factory exaggeration, though. Like Bado's laziness, or Porco's appetite, or Xiao managing to screw up basically everything she does.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Although clover takes forever to grow, and is useful in a few recipes, so you might as well just use corn for your field-healing needs.

...although I'll admit I had no idea you could till the clover after harvest and still get the effect. The more you know.

Zagglezig posted:

What exactly was Doug requesting with the clover? Partly grow some clover and shovel it down into the fields instead of harvesting? Does that actually work and is there a min growth level required?
The corn/clover has to be fully grown before tilling it into the ground does anything.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

thetruegentleman posted:

It's also pretty telling that the developers went with "all fantasy holidays are the same as Japanese holidays" instead of "maybe some holidays on this planet are a bit more like Europe's": no no, gotta be Glorious Nippon all the way. It's not like anyone actually knows where Art is from, so this might be perfectly normal for him or anything...
Eh, that's pretty much how Harvest Moon did things too. Except Valentine's Day/White Day were more awkwardly translated in the early games("Spring Thanksgiving" and "Winter Thanksgiving" from BTN, anyone?).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You take villagers along with you because they give you extra dialog during dungeon plot, which is the important part. :colbert:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

I've been acting this way for a long time. And you know, a sort of...system has developed. It's like a tradition. It's who I am to them. Trying to change that now would only cause confusion.
There's always two that slip by you. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
:10bux: says she knows they have an expiration date, and is just waiting for the deaths of the people who refuse to let her die.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

Just don’t tell her it’s genetically modified.

Of course.
Got some duplicate screenshots there.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Fun fact: You actually can grab some of the fruit used to keep score, you just have to be really quick.

There's not a huge point since it's easy to have fruit trees by now, but you still can.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

I suspect this scene was originally deciding on honorifics.
It probably did - when I dated Forte in my run, one set of name options was the normal names. As a separate option from "just like always is fine."

They could have put a little more effort into translating that one.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
This update has A+ timing with the end of the Rune Factory 1 LP. (Go read it if you haven't, the game itself is bad but it makes RF4 Ethelberd seem even more hilariously petty)

quote:

Slightly regretting not bringing Dolce along to more plot events. :allears:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
You still can, there's just no reason to spend the resources on extra rooms if you're not putting anything in them. :v:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

Clorica, every single person in this town has seen you while you sleep. You have frequently fallen asleep while in mid-conversation with me. This is something you should have long
I think that was supposed to be 'long known'?

And while I'm nitpicking:

quote:

Again, these are all thigns everybody is used to from you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Art should expand his dating horizons, mostly because more content is better. I really don't care who as long as it's not Amber(:gonk:).

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

quote:

And naturally, the boss is another really big tank. Sure Ethelberd, because this worked out so well for you last time.
And this time he's up against an Earthmate who's not battling against terrible game mechanics! I'm really not sure how he thought this would pan out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
The thing is it's (game mechanic spoilers) based off a random event trigger, like basically every character event in the game. You only have a chance for one event a day, and if it doesn't roll the Progress the Plot event, you're poo poo out of luck. You can cheese it by inviting Dylas and Amber to your party, saving, and going to bed. Reload until they leave your party, since that means the event triggered. So it's sort of better since you can get it with minimal in-game waiting if you're patient enough, but sort of worse since there's no definite amount of time to wait if you don't cheese it.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

YggiDee posted:

Well, if Dylas and Amber leave the party, that just means some event has occurred, not necessarily the one you're aiming for. Also there may be hidden friendship requirements for it to trigger. It took over an in-game year for me, long enough to get married and have a kid.
IIRC the only villagers who leave the party are the ones directly involved in the event. There might be some other Dylas/Amber events, but not many since they don't really run in the same NPC circles. But yeah, make sure you actually got the relevant event before saving again!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
And the moral of the story is, nothing is free from the circle of life. Not even your god dragon king mayors. :rip:

Truthkeeper posted:

Ooh, did you fly to Alvarna to grab Kyle? Or hunt down Raguna? More Earthmates would probably turn the tide of this fight, and a teamup between the RF protagonists would be cool. I’d even settle for Micah.
Wow, racist.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
That just makes me want a new RF game where you get to travel through the towns of earlier RFs and help them coordinate their new era of peace(until something inevitably goes wrong, because there needs to be dramatic tension).

Or any new RF game, really. :smith:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
So Earthmate is fantasyspeak for "person who's capable of selectively breeding for better produce." Got it. :v:

That is an important ability(especially for a highly rural medieval-ish society), but not as all-consumingly important as Ethelberd's making it out to be.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Zagglezig posted:

So, as someone who has no context for the "elves eat humans" thing, is this a matter of actively hunting people down or more of a "well, they aren't elves, so I don't see why we shouldn't eat them if the meat presents itself"?
I figured it was a Dwarf Fortress reference since most races hate elves for having no issues eating sentient beings, and elves hate other races for murdering innocent trees.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Everyone gets Volkanon. Everyone.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I mean, this whole thing is everyone refusing to accept death just because they can. The natural cycle of things isn't really high on their priority list. :v:

And considering how many Guardians Venti's gone through, there should have been a bunch of replacement wind dragons between Leon's time and now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Truthkeeper posted:

My reward is an actively harmful accessory I’m more used to seeing come from the blacksmith date.
But it's unshipped! Volkanon is helping. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Dogwood Fleet posted:

For someone who trolls people all the time, he is amazingly easily flustered.
It's a defense mechanism, obviously. :v:

• Locked thread