Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I've been trying to downgrade a n3ds for about 2 hours now and no luck. It never finds the .cia files for the downgrade... from some looking through of the thread on gbatemp it appears to be a pretty common issue with people on a n3ds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

Are you using OSX?

Nope, windows

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

Strange. What's the exact error message it returns? You should have the .cia files inside a folder named "updates" on your sd card.

Yeah, I keep checking and rechecking thinking this is the issue. It's at e:\updates\xxxxx.cia. 9.2-20U, there are 102 files and the MD5 hash checked with what is on gbatemp, so that all looks to be good. I've tried unzipping using the windows default zip tools and 7zip and neither have helped.

I'm on a N3DS XL, 10.3-28 and using both Ironhax and MenuHax to try and get it to work. Some people on GBATemp think that by opening up certain apps is what helped them but I think it's more just stupid coincidence that the last thing they tried was just the last thing they tried before it decided to just work for X reason.

edit: Few other info, I don't get the 8 checks up at the top of the screen when I launch the sysupdater. It just lists what version it is and then what buttons to update/downgrade/exit. The red text isn't a warning to not update a N3DS, but "IMPORTANT: Don't run this in sysNAND Gateway mode or it will brick!"

shaitan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 11, 2016

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

The downgrader isn't the most stable for initially launching. For me it took a good hour of trying random things to launch it to get it to work. In the end what worked for me was booting in using menuhax, going to ftpbrony, hitting B twice right when it loaded and then loading the downgrader.

Are you getting any error message at all or? I did get "failed to retrieve cia list in .cpp" or something along those lines once. Just required more tries.

Yeah, that's what I am trying now, I added the following to my last reply:

Few other info, I don't get the 8 checks up at the top of the screen when I launch the sysupdater. It just lists what version it is and then what buttons to update/downgrade/exit. The red text isn't a warning to not update a N3DS, but "IMPORTANT: Don't run this in sysNAND Gateway mode or it will brick!"

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

The 8 checks were removed from the safer downgrade version. It's really obnoxious because it's hard to tell if it crashed or not without just sitting and being patient and wasting time.

bah, I never even try since I don't see those checks and it's in all the guides....

edit: Yep, just tried it a few more times and it seems to be working now

shaitan fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 11, 2016

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Switching gears. I'm getting a WiiU this week, and since I sold my xbone I don't have a blu-ray player anymore. If I hack the vWii portion of the WiiU, is it possible to install something to play back Blu Ray discs?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

marauderthirty posted:

I could be completely wrong, but I think blu-ray players have a special kind of laser that operates on a different wavelength than CD/DVD. So like the red laser in a CD/DVD player is a broader wavelength but the blue laser in a blu-ray player (hence the name) is a narrow wavelength so it reads the same amount of data (or more maybe) in a smaller space at one time, so more data can be packed onto the same size disc. Please correct me if this wrong. (You might also be talking about modifying the hardware in which case I really have no idea)

You are correct here. However, I'm pretty sure the WiiU has a Blu Ray drive and uses Blu Ray discs, but because of licensing fees they can't play movies out of the box.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

After you have CFW setup you should use the tubehax dns servers on your connection. This will block all traffic to Nintendo including updates, eshop, online, etc but it stops your system from trying to download updates. It's handy for Nu3DS since emunand is stuck on 9.5.

Can you explain what you mean by emuNAND being stuck at 9.5? If I continue to buy new games will I still be able to play them on the CFW?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Ok so it's sounding like maybe probably possibly... the N3DS can't play new games even if legit. Which kind of makes this pointless for me, thanks! I'll just reupdate to 10.3 and keep my current homebrew emulation.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

CatSFC was better than blarghSNES for me because it had compatibility for one game I wanted to play that blargh didn't. They're both stable/smooth, though, just try the game you want with either and use the other if it doesn't work.

PocketSNES works better and faster for some games too. There is no one stop solution currently.

The Iron Rose posted:

No, that's not the case. Most games don't require >9.5, and those that do there are generally cryptofixed versions floating around. You can even do it yourself quite easily.

Ahhh. Excellent, thanks!

shaitan fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 11, 2016

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I followed these instructions to install CFW on my N3DS: http://hackinformer.com/2016/01/12/3ds-rxtools-tutorial/. At the end it states to "update the system as you normally would". So I did that... which brought me to 10.3 and now I can't access RXTools anymore. When I boot without the SD card it is back up to 10.3, do I have to downgrade and everything again and redo it all?

shaitan fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 15, 2016

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Stink Terios posted:

You're supposed to update while in emunand. Sounds like you updated sysnand, which means you're back to square one.

I was pretty sure I was still in emunand when I did the update, but you are probably right. Is the right way to tell if you go to the system settings and it has the RX next to the system update version?

Should I instead download the 9.5 system update and use sysupdater to get it to that?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

sharktamer posted:

Sounds like you might as well wait until rxTools supports 10.3. Either downgrade your emunand so you can use it with rxTools again or use Reinand until rxTools supports 10.3

Ok, I'm leaving for a trip overseas in a few hours so I was hoping to get it as much set as I can before I head out, but I think I'll just downgrade the sysNand down to 9.2 again and just see if I can do it at a later date. I should be able to use all my eshop games in the meanwhile in 9.2...I hope.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

So long as you didn't split your emunand/sysnand yet then the saves/eshop should still work fine

I'm really not sure what that means, I did install rxTools and formatted my SD card so it had the hidden partition and an emuNand right before I did the update. If splitting is a seperate process then I am fine. Ironfall doesn't boot anymore but some other eshop games (early Sega 3D ones) still launch fine.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

Splitting the nands is when you go into MSET and reformat the 3DS with the sd card ejected. If you have not formatted the 3ds via MSET yet it should be fine.

Ok Perfect, I didn't get that far. I'm guessing that things like ironfall (1.1) and my newer eshop games don't work because they are expecting a higher firmware.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

Gateway released a new patch that has 10.3 EMUNAND support :toot:
http://www.gateway-3ds.com/

Does this mean anything for non-gateway using folks?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Since so much has changed in the last 2-3 weeks (or so it seems). What's the ideal way to install a new CFW from 9.2 on a n3DS? Last time I did it, I upgraded to 10.3 and had to re-downgrade everything since that upgraded both my emuNAND and sysNAND which didn't seem like the correct thing to do.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I thought that emuNAND and sysNAND weren't to be affected by one or the other? Last time I downgraded, I was in emuNAND and I upgraded to 10.3 and it also upgraded my sysNAND. This time, I was in emuNAND and deselected a theme to deactivate menuhax for it and now I can't load menuhax on my sysNAND. Is this normal?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Substandard posted:

In the tutorial i used (linked a few posts up) there is a step to unlink your emuNAND and sysNAND using TinyFormat. Did you do this? (If you did you should have two folders inside your Nintendo 3DS folder)

Thanks. I did follow that tutorial but didn't unlink my NAND. I thought I read earlier in the thread that it caused issues and the only advantage was that you can use the GBA firmware. I can unlink though if that'll solve my "unwrapped gifts" issue and this menuhax when booting into emuNAND issue.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Andrast posted:

SNES and GBA emulation on a downgraded n3DS is actually really good. Everything I've tried to run has worked perfectly.

I haven't tried Genesis though.

Yeah ever since I downgraded and then installed emuNAND and was able to run the emulators through cia's, I have been seeing much better compatability/speed out of SNES/GBA games.

edit: Can SDHC cards be used on a WiiU with the Wii portion hacked? Just to hold emulators and roms.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

ChaosArgate posted:

Wii U mode doesn't use the SD card at all, except for certain games like Smash Bros. You can just leave an SD card with homebrew stuff for vWii in your system with no ill effects.

Yes but does it support SDHC? I had to use an SD card for the hack, but after the inital hack does it support SDHC?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Every single time I think I have it all figured out... I keep hitting a new roadblock. Today I discovered I can no longer install .cia files through FBI, either I get a "File can not be opened" if I launch HBL from within emuNAND, and I get a "invalid signature" error if I enter HBL before emuNAND..... annoying.

Mind you I was able to install about 3-4 .cia files (retroarch) just two days ago, but I don't remember if that was before I updated emuNAND to 10.5 from 9.2 or what else I may have done in between that stopped it from working.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Flagrama posted:

To install CIAs on emuNAND, you need to have FBI installed as a CIA on emuNAND, or have FBI injected into emuNAND Health and Safety. If you launch from HBL it will not have the required permissions.

Thanks this was what I suspected. Sounds like I'm going to have to figure out how to inject it into the H&S since I don't know how I can install FBI as a CIA if I can't install CIA files right now :D

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I just got the HBC installed on the vWii partition of the WiiU. I'm trying to get a usb loader to work, is there a recommended app for that?

Also, will some HDD work with just a single usb plug or will It require a second for power? The HDD does get recognized when I plug it in (asks if I want to format it on the WiiU)

shaitan fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Mar 25, 2016

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Can I use any old DS flashcart if I have a cfw installed?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You know what? I totally forgot Cyclo had to make the CycloDSi Evolution because the DS Evolution was totally incompatible with DSi and the 3DS acts like a DSi when in DS mode. I'd expect the DSi Evolution to work however. But yeah, after a having a semi-current R4 or the DSTWO, not really a problem.

Ok thanks, I have an old Cyclo so I'll look into getting a DSTWO or whatever at some point.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
So this means that cubic ninja has finally been patched out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
No downgrade past 9.2? Well my sysnand is still on 9.2 so it's looking like it might finally be time to buy a 64gb card and make the switch from my old Emunand hack.

If I'm switching SD cards and hacks, should I back up my saves first, or should I be able to keep everything intact? Granted I'll probably just back up my saves first anyway....

• Locked thread