Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

It's time again for the Cinema Discusso film awards, where the posters in CineD discuss and vote on the best in film from the previous year. Here are the current nominees, with winners underlined with a link to the relevant post once announced:

Best Picture
Beasts of No Nation
The Big Short
Chappie
Creed
Ex Machina
The Hateful Eight
It Follows
Mad Max: Fury Road
Sicario
Tangerine

Best Director
Cary Joji Fukunaga, Beasts of No Nation
Denis Villeneuve, Sicario
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight
Ryan Coogler, Creed

Best Actor in a Leading Role
Domhnall Gleeson, Ex Machina
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael B. Jordan, Creed
Samuel L. Jackson, The Hateful Eight
Tom Hanks, Bridge of Spies

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
Benicia del Toro, Sicario
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Oscar Isaac, Ex Machina
Tom Hardy, The Revenant
Walton Goggins, The Hateful Eight

Best Actress in a Leading Role
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina
Cate Blanchett, Carol
Charlize Theron, Mad Max: Fury Road
Emily Blunt, Sicario
Kitana Kiki Rodriguez, Tangerine

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Jessica Chastain, Crimson Peak
Rooney Mara, Carol
Tessa Thompson, Creed
Yolandi Visser, Chappie

Best Vocal or Motion Capture Performance
Amy Poehler, Inside Out
Jennifer Jason Leigh, Anomalisa
Julia Pott, World of Tomorrow
Shalto Copley, Chappie
Tom Noonan, Anomalisa

Best Animation
Anomalisa
Inside Out
Shaun the Sheep Movie
World of Tomorrow

Best Film Editing
Claudia Castello and Michael P. Shawver, Creed
Hank Corwin, The Big Short
Julio C. Perez IV, It Follows
Margaret Sixel, Mad Max: Fury Road
Stephen Mirrione, The Revenant

Best Makeup and Costuming
Crimson Peak
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Best Original Score
Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight
Jóhann Jóhannsson, Sicario
Junkie XL, Mad Max: Fury Road
Ludwig Göransson, Creed
Rich Vreeland, It Follows

The Echoplex Award for Art Design
Beasts of No Nation
Chappie
The Hateful Eight

Best Documentary
Best of Enemies
Call Me Lucky
The Look of Silence
The Nightmare
Winter on Fire: Ukraine's Fight for Freedom

The Moral High Horse Award: Most Reprehensible Film
Entourage
Get Hard
Jurassic World
Knock, Knock
The Ridiculous 6

The Not-Crash for Socially Forward Filmmaking
The Big Short
The Look of Silence
Magic Mike XXL
Tangerine

Best Food/Meal Scene
The Big Short, dinner with Wing Chau
Bone Tomahawk, cave butcher
The Gift, dinner at Gordo’s
The Hateful Eight, the stew
The Revenant, the buffalo

The Armond White Award for best film under 60% on Rotten Tomatoes
American Ultra (43%)
Blackhat (34%)
Chappie (31%)
In the Heart of the Sea (43%)
Terminator: Genisys (25%)

The Golden Winnebago: Best Trailer
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Comic-Con Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WWzgGyAH6Y

The Revenant | Official Teaser Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRfj1VCg16Y

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer (Official)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Suicide Squad Comic-Con Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI3hecGO_04

Tangerine - Red Band Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALSwWTb88ZU

The Michael Bay Award for Best Noises or Lack Thereof (Sound Design)
The Hateful Eight
The Revenant
Sicario

Best Ensemble Cast
The Big Short
Furious 7
The Hateful Eight
Spotlight

Best Action Choreography
Creed
Furious 7
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Sicario

Best Adapted Screenplay
Adam McKay and Charles Randolph, The Big Short
Drew Goddard, The Martian
George Miller, Brendan McCarthy, and Nico Lathouris, Mad Mad: Fury Road
Mark L. Smith and Alejandro G. Ińárritu, The Revenant

Best Original Screenplay
Alex Garland, Ex Machina
Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight
Sean S. Baker and Chris Bergoch, Tangerine
Taylor Sheridan, Sicario
Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer, Spotlight

Best Visual Effects
Chappie
Ex Machina
The Revenant

Best Cinematography
Emmanuel Lubezki, The Revenant
John Seale, Mad Max: Fury Road
Robert Richardson, The Hateful Eight
Roger Deakins, Sicario

CineD MVP
Alicia Vikander
Domhnall Gleeson
Jennifer Jason Leigh
Oscar Isaac
Tom Hardy

Best Musical Direction
The Big Short
Creed
Magic Mike XXL
Straight Outta Compton

The awards are conducted in two rounds. In a first, three to seven nominations are submitted by each judge in each of the listed categories. Any movie with an initial theatrical or digital release in 2015 is eligible. Any trailer released in 2015 is eligible even if the movie doesn't release until 2016 or beyond. The five most mentioned nominees will be the finalists for the award in each category, with the exception of Best Picture which will have ten finalists. In the second round, one vote is submitted by each judge in each of the listed categories for one of the nominated films.

Anyone who has posted at least one comment about a movie in CineD prior to this post is eligible as a judge. This thread can be used to remind people of the films, performances, and so on that deserve attention. Please try to avoid posts that are just a list of suggestions in every category, and instead narrow in on a particular film, performer, some other elements, or provide some commentary.

The third contest. The second contest.

Voting is Open

Votes are due end-of-day Sunday, February 14, 2016.

Votes can be submitted either by private messaging me, or emailing goonys2016@gmail.com. If you're going to email, include your user name in the email. All that's required to judge is to have any sort of presence in the CineD forum. You do not have to have submitted nominations to vote.

List your selection in each category. If you don't feel comfortable making a selection in a category, that's fine. Please do the categories in the same order I have them here to make compiling the votes easier.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hmm, yes, glad we got rid of that good film that had impeccable spectacle and good performances right away. Wouldn't want any of that in these here awards, no sir.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The basic thinking was that there was literally no one on this forum who needed an opportunity to discuss Fury Road or who needed to be reminded how good it was. However, if people really want the opportunity to vote for it, say so here and it'll be let back in. The goal was to make things more interesting by allowing some question as to what would win, but if it's more interesting to have another opportunity to talk about an admittedly fantastic film, I'm open to allowing it in.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Hmm, yes, glad we got rid of that good film that had impeccable spectacle and good performances right away. Wouldn't want any of that in these here awards, no sir.

I don't know if you've read the Fury Road thread, but goons are way less interested in discussing the movie and way more interested in talking about their avatars that show how much they liked it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Sir Kodiak posted:

The goal was to make things more interesting by allowing some question as to what would win, but if it's more interesting to have another opportunity to talk about an admittedly fantastic film, I'm open to allowing it in.

We have nominations anyway so I don't really see what the big difference would be. Just include it because otherwise it's a major stick-in-the-mud move.

Anyway, I think the best film of the year is The Look of Silence. Joshua Oppenheimer is not only a deeply-committed and intelligent humanitarian, but one of the most gifted filmmakers alive today. What he accomplishes with his anonymous co-director and star is a true act of bravery with a camera, with a level of craft unparalleled in documentary. The title of the film gives away its strongest moments, when the story pauses to just soak up the bugs chirping in the village and the human suffering that doesn't make a single sound yet permeates everything about these characters' lives. If The Act of Killing drew you in at all, The Look of Silence will change your life. Never seen a flick like it, honest.

For your consideration in the categories of: Best Film, Best Director (Joshua Oppenheimer & Anonymous), Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Documentary, The Not-Crash for Socially Forward Filmmaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA_ZHAs4M9k

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 10, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Alright, Mad Max is in. I've asked GonSmithe to change the thread title when he gets a chance.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

For my own part, I think the best film of the year is The Big Short. An adaptation of the book The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis, it breaks down the corruption and outright criminality of the 2007-2008 financial crisis into a story that's funny, illuminating, and infuriating.

Never letting the movie fall into the trap of just being a lecture, Director Adam McKay has created an inventive mix of narrative, direct explanation, and pop collage to maintain the energy of its illumination of the finance industry in the early 21st century. Partway between The Wolf of Wall Street and Natural Born Killers, this movie would be a standout even if it didn't also provide the valuable service of breaking down the incompetence and immorality of people who weren't only shielded from the consequences of their behavior, but rewarded for it.

For your consideration in the categories of:
Best Picture
Best Director: Adam McKay
Best Film Editing: Hank Corwin
The Not-Crash for Socially Forward Filmmaking
Best Food/Meal Scene: Dinner with Wing Chau
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Adapted Screenplay: Adam McKay and Charles Randolph
Best Musical Direction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgqG3ITMv1Q

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 11, 2016

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What's a CineD MVP? Would I nominate a specific person, like "Ryan Gosling for his performance in The Big Short and his directorial work on Lost River"?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the MVP is someone who did great work in more than one thing. My nominee would be Jennifer Jason Leigh who was outstanding in both Hateful Eight and Anomalisa.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Yeah, Gosling, Jennifer Jason Leigh and Domhnall Gleeson are the MVP's that stick out to me the most.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I want people to consider – or at least watch – Bone Tomahawk. It's a Western with some very funny moments and truly horrific scenes. It has an appropriately dusty atmosphere, the cinematography is dry and arid and makes for some striking shots. Kurt Russell, Patrick Wilson and Richard Jenkins are as great as expected and even Matthew Fox turns in an affecting performance. The dialogue is definitely stylized, butting the matter-of-fact and the whimsical up tight against each other. And, unlike Snak, I really liked that.

It's a movie that wasn't exactly what I expected but more enjoyable than I anticipated. I can definitely see why people find the long journey until the final act tedious, especially if they weren't a fan of the dialogue, but it gives The Big Moment that much more impact. It's not my favourite movie of the year but it's one of them and it's a hell of an impressive directorial debut.

For your consideration in the category of: Best Picture, Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Kurt Russell, Richard Jenkins), Best Food/Meal Scene, Best Cinematography, Best Original Screenplay

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sicario

The latest film from director Denis Villeneuve, Sicario is a haunting look at the War on Drugs from the perspective of a good cop caught up in events beyond her control. Emily Blunt plays Kate Macer, whose curiosity and sense of duty take her further than she ever expected, led by the hand by the anti-Cartel operative Matt Graver, played by Josh Brolin in a alternatingly laid-back and grimly threatening performance. Benicio del Toro plays Alejandro, a government advisor who manifests as a force of nature with questionable loyalties and unspeakable methods of getting the job done. The film is a thematically-dense examination of power and authority, and of the consequences of shepherds becoming too much like wolves. Roger Deakins' rich cinematography is breathtaking at points, and creates a darkly beautiful tone for the film when paired with Jóhann Jóhannsson's droning score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0SDT2GeFg

For your consideration in the categories of

Best Picture
Best Director: Denis Villeneuve
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Emily Blunt as Kate Macer
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Benicio del Toro as Alejandro
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Josh Brolin as Matt Graver
Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins
Best Original Screenplay: Taylor Sheridan
Best Original Score: Jóhann Jóhannsson
Best Food/Meal Scene: Silvio's breakfast with his son

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 11, 2016

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I'm going to do some nominations for my top four movies and will probably come back to post some individual nominations with more detail.

George Miller created what many would consider to be a perfect action movie. The editing, the plot, the setting, the characters, and the art design are all perfectly executed in order to produce what are probably the best car chases in film and a grand spectacle that will be remembered and studied for years. The film that has won a few best picture contests so far and will undoubtedly go on to sweep the Golden Globes and Academy Awards. It's so good it almost got banned from these awards? Roflmao

Best Picture
Best Director: George Miller
Best Film Editing: Margaret Sixel
Best Original Score: Junkie XL
Best Action Choreography
Best Adapted Screenplay: George Miller, Brendan McCarthy, Nico Lathouris
Best Visual Effects
Best Cinematography: John Seale

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, the eleventh Star Wars movie, had a lot of expectations to meet. Thankfully, The Force Awakens ended up being a solid, entertaining release that provided plenty of space-fantasy adventure and spectacle. Of particular note is the fantastic creature and character designs that nail the Star Wars aesthetic while bringing something new to the universe.

Best Visual Effects

Ex Machina

Ex Machina is an original film in the science fiction genre, a pleasant surprise in a year of franchise films and sequels, that managed to impress and be one of the best films of the year. The movie relies on its three very talented performers and luckily they knock the material out of the park. The film has picked up a few nominations here and there during the awards season, but still not enough recognition in my mind.

Best Picture
Best Director: Alex Garland
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Domhnall Gleeson
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Oscar Isaac
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Alicia Vikander
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Original Screenplay: Alex Garland

CineD MVP: Domhnall Gleeson (Ex Machina, Brooklyn, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Revenant)
CineD MVP: Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Danish Girl)

It Follows

I generally do not watch or even enjoy horror movies, but I found myself going to see this film based on good word of mouth and it became one of my favorite films of the year and one of my favorite horror movies ever. This movie has a novel concept and is quite gorgeous.

Best Picture
Best Director: David Robert Mitchell
Best Original Score: Disasterpeace
Best Original Screenplay: David Robert Mitchell
Best Cinematography: Mike Glouakis

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What films are eligible for these awards? Is it just any film with a 2015 U.S. theatrical release date? Because that would include films like Testament of Youth and Kingsman, both released in the UK in 2014 but in the US in 2015.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The first release anywhere in the world must have been in 2015. Testament of Youth and Kingsman are 2014.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'll nominate Creed for best film, beat lead actor (Michael B. Jordan), best supporting actor (Stallone), best adapted screenplay, best action choreography, and best sound design - it was reminiscent of Raging Bull in this regard.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Agreed with Michael B. Jordan as best lead actor for Creed. He puts forward an interesting character for the lead of a sports movie in a really charming performance.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The first release anywhere in the world must have been in 2015. Testament of Youth and Kingsman are 2014.

I think this rule needs to have exceptions. If a movie saw a limited release that's one thing, but there needs to be exceptions for movies that were only accessible through festival attendance (or piracy).

Kingsman was released in a festival in the UK in December 2014, and didn't see a real release until 2015. It's a little unfair to disqualify a movie just because a few hundred people saw a screening. It follows debuted in the festival scene in 2014 as well. Is it eligible?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Kingsman was released in a festival in the UK in December 2014, and didn't see a real release until 2015. It's a little unfair to disqualify a movie just because a few hundred people saw a screening. It follows debuted in the festival scene in 2014 as well. Is it eligible?

I'd thought Kingsman had had a limited theatrical in 2014 in UK. If it was really just a festival than I'm fine with it being included. Same for It Follows.

But a limited theatrical release is enough. Hateful Eight and The Revenant are eligible this year if anyone wants to nominate them for things. Also, a theatrical release isn't necessary if you want to nominate something that was digital-only. Beasts of No Nation got a limited theatrical release, I think, but it would be welcome even if it hadn't, and there might be something good that didn't that I'm unaware of. But it should be movie-like, so no Making a Murderer in the documentary category.

On this subject, as before, 2015 trailers for 2016 movies are eligible. And if you're nominating a trailer, please post it. The award is for a particular trailer, not for the movie.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 11, 2016

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also, a theatrical release isn't necessary if you want to nominate something that was digital-only.

That's good because I definitely want to nominate Ridiculous 6 for the Moral High Horse award.

Some additional considerations:

Everest

Best Ensemble Cast
Best Visual Effects (does 3D fall under this category as well?)
Best Cinematography

Shaun the Sheep

Best Animation
Best Original Score
Best Food/Meal Scene (sheep in the restaurant)

Macbeth

Best Director: Justin Kurzel
Best Actor: Michael Fassbender
Best Actress: Marion Cotillard
Best Cinematography

As well as some miscellaneous ones:

Not-Crash Award Magic Mike XXL (for celebrating female sexuality)
Armond White Award: Chappie and Tomorrowland
MVP: Tom Hardy (for his excellent perfomances in Fury Road, The Revenant, London Road, and Legend)

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 11, 2016

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Samuel Clemens posted:

Best Visual Effects (does 3D fall under this category as well?)

Sure. I'd nominate The Walk here as well, at least in part because of the 3D.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

For Your Consideration: Crimson Peak

Best Actress in a Leading Role - Jessica Chastain
Best Visual Effects

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Having been reminded of the abomination that is Ridiculous 6 I'm sure that's gonna take the Moral High Horse, but I'd like to at least submit some competition for consideration in Concussion, a movie which not only has a 'love interest' so nonexistent in character that I literally did not know her name until it appeared on an ultrasound machine two-thirds of the way through the movie, but also features a scene where she basically says she's okay with being raped when she first arrived in the US because it must have been part of God's plan, and this is used to make Will Smith feel better about continuing with his work because obviously that's all part of God's plan too.

Also Crimson Peak for best Art Design is legit.

Edit: Also also The Revenant for Best Meal for the Pawnee man sharing the raw buffalo with Glass.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 11, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bone Tomahawk for best food scene is inspired

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Four years and still no one will call it the Goonys.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I probably don't need to remind people of Ruffalo's performance in Spotlight...so I'll try to get as many people as possible to watch 'Dragon Blade' for the Armond White award.

This movie is like face/off as in the greatest, but set in historical China and starring Jackie Chan, John Cusack, and Adrien Brody. Chan, though, is mostly comic relief/physical comedy and despite getting the most screen time, takes the movie the least seriously. At no point in the movie, which is extremely long, will you have any idea what's going on, but bodies are flying, the gongs of war are sounding, and little blind boys are screaming. There are multiple musical numbers.

The movie comes into its own once Cusack and Body share the screen. They do their best Cage and Travolta and loving hit it out of the park, becoming such hams that they absorb the camera. Adrien Brody is easily the most ridiculous/satifying lovely action movie villain I think I've ever seen, he treats this like a 70s kung fu script. There is a death scene that rivals Boromir's from LOTR.

Please watch this movie and post funny things about it and consider it for the AW award.

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 11, 2016

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Consider This Number One Gangsta gently caress Mother - Chappie

Best Actor in a Leading Role - Sharlto Copley
Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Hugh Jackman
Best Actress in a Leading Role - Yo-Landi
Best Vocal or Motion Capture Performance - Sharlto Copley as Chappie
Best Animation
The Armond White Award for best film under 60% on Rotten Tomatoes
Best Visual Effects

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Since people have already nominated some of my other favorites already, I'm going to go to bat for Beasts of No Nation.

This is a sad, gripping, unflinching movie that still manages to leave the viewer with a faint glimmer of hope and trust in basic human goodness despite dealing with some of the most depressing subject matter possible. For my money, this is Idris Elba's best performance, and Abraham Attah puts on an incredibly good performance (and a killer monologue) even before you consider that this is his first time acting. Fukunaga's cinematography is gorgeous - the infrared shots and the long take in the trenches are some of the most impressive scenes of the year.

I am nominating it for:

Best Picture
Best Actor in a Leading Role - Abraham Attah
Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Idris Elba
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Cinematography - Cary Joji Fukunaga

I am also going to nominate High-Rise for The Golden Winnebago: Best Trailer, and Michael Fassbender for CineD MVP for his performances in Slow West, Steve Jobs, and Macbeth.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Throwing in a Best Director nom for Cary Joji Fukunaga for Beasts of No Nation.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Would it be a stretch to nominate Oscar Isaac for CineD MVP? Ex Machina and Star Wars were definitely this year, but Most Violent Year is right on the cusp, literally coming out on new year's eve '14 in the US.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Eligibility for MVP isn't the sort of thing I can really police, though I'd prefer arguments on someone's behalf focus on films that are actually 2015.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 12, 2016

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You could always hype Oscar Isaac being in Mojave if you're the guy who saw that.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The miniseries Show Me a Hero (for which he just won a Golden Globe) was 2015, has anyone seen that?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Slate Action posted:

The miniseries Show Me a Hero (for which he just won a Golden Globe) was 2015, has anyone seen that?

Yeah, I really liked it. Very David Simon.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Slate Action posted:

He's really good in it. It's good but not great and also I don't know if it falls under the purview of this thread.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

He's really good in it. It's good but not great and also I don't know if it falls under the purview of this thread.

It's fantasy football for movie nerds, I don't feel like the rules need to be that ironclad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I also feel a mini series is not a movie no matter how you want to slice it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

I Before E posted:

Consider This Number One Gangsta gently caress Mother - Chappie

There should be some sort of award for making a movie that gets you kicked out of the ALIEN franchise I think.

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Since people have already nominated some of my other favorites already, I'm going to go to bat for Beasts of No Nation.

Am I alone in thinking this was a documentary? Learning that it's a fictional film suddenly makes me more interested in it.

Anyway, on to some FYCs.

Spotlight
Best Picture
Best Director
, Tom McCarthy
Best Original Screenplay, Tom McCarthy and Josh Singer
Best Actor in a Leading Role, Mark Ruffalo
Best Actor in a Leading Role, Michael Keaton
Best Actress in a Leading Role, Rachel McAdams
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Film Editing
, Tom McArdle

Chi-Raq
Best Picture
Best Director
, Spike Lee
Best Adapted Screenplay, Spike Lee and Kevin Willmott, based on Lysistrata by Aristophanes
Best Actress in a Leading Role, Teyonah Parris
Best Actor in a Supporting Role, John Cusack
Best Cinematography, Matthew Libatique
The Not-Crash Award for Socially Forward Filmmaking
Best Musical Direction

[There is no category listed for Best Original Song, but I would like to nominate "Pray 4 My City" by Nick Cannon preemptively in case this changes.]

Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck
Best Documentary
Best Musical Direction

The End of the Tour
Best Picture
Best Director
, James Ponsoldt
Best Adapted Screenplay, Donald Margulies, based on Although of Course You End Up Becoming Yourself by David Lipsky
Best Actor in a Leading Role, Jason Segel
Best Actor in a Leading Role, Jesse Eisenberg
Best Food/Meal Scene, literally any scene with food in this film, but especially the junk food scene and the diner scene

The Hateful Eight
Best Picture
Best Director
, Quentin Tarantino
Best Original Screenplay, Quentin Tarantino
Best Actor in a Leading Role, Kurt Russell
Best Actor in a Leading Role, Samuel L. Jackson
Best Actress in a Leading Role, Jennifer Jason Leigh
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Cinematography
, Robert Richardson
Best Original Score, Ennio Morricone
The Golden Winnebago: Best Trailer, Official Trailer
Best Food/Meal Scene
, stew scene

Inside Out
Best Picture
Best Director
, Pete Docter and Ronnie del Carmen
Best Original Screenplay, Pete Docter and Ronnie del Carmen
Best Vocal or Motion Capture Performance, Amy Poehler
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Animation
Best Visual Effects
Best Original Score
, Michael Giacchino

Spy
Best Original Screenplay
, Paul Feig
Best Action Choreography

Love & Mercy (This film may be considered ineligible because it premiered at TIFF in 2014, but was not released widely until 2015)
Best Picture
Best Director
, Bill Pohlad
Best Adapted Screenplay, Michael Alan Lerner and Oren Moverman, based on Heroes and Villans by Michael Alan Lerner
Best Film Editing, Dino Jonsäter
Best Original Score, Atticus Ross
Best Musical Direction

Anomalisa
Best Picture
Best Director
, Charlie Kaufman and Duke Johnson
Best Adapted Screenplay, Charlie Kaufman, based on Anomalisa by Charlie Kaufman (as Francis Fregoli)
Best Vocal or Motion Capture Performance, David Thewlis
Best Vocal or Motion Capture Performance, Jennifer Jason Leigh
Best Animation

dreadnought fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I'm gonna throw some ace documentaries you guys' ways to check out.

Dwarves Kingdom
https://vimeo.com/54232520

Dwarves Kingdom is the story of a real life theme park in China where the main attraction is none of than little people! Bizarre, sad, and unique look into the world of one of the park entertainers who decides to leave to try to make it in the real world. Available to rent on iTunes and other services.

Call Me Lucky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FChmOC-Qjw

Bobcat Goldthwait's heartfelt biography of his friend and mentor Barry Crimmins, a little known stand-up comic who built the Boston stand-up scene in the 80s. But Crimmins was more than a comic - he was an activist and a rape survivor, fighting against abuse of government and church. You don't know it, but you can thank him for having a major role in passing modern child pornography laws. Hilarious and tragic, it should be considered for Best Picture and Best Doc. Available on Netflix.

The Thread
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4cd_thaLcA

Remember when Reddit pinned the Boston Marathon Bombing on an innocent kid? Yeah, this is about that. On Netflix, only an hour long. Well well well worth the watch.

Heart of a Dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v37BnyHefnY

Laurie Anderson's essay film tribute to her dead dog Lolabelle. And also all the other passed loved ones in her life. It owns. Find it, watch it, hug your dog.

• Locked thread