Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sicario

The latest film from director Denis Villeneuve, Sicario is a haunting look at the War on Drugs from the perspective of a good cop caught up in events beyond her control. Emily Blunt plays Kate Macer, whose curiosity and sense of duty take her further than she ever expected, led by the hand by the anti-Cartel operative Matt Graver, played by Josh Brolin in a alternatingly laid-back and grimly threatening performance. Benicio del Toro plays Alejandro, a government advisor who manifests as a force of nature with questionable loyalties and unspeakable methods of getting the job done. The film is a thematically-dense examination of power and authority, and of the consequences of shepherds becoming too much like wolves. Roger Deakins' rich cinematography is breathtaking at points, and creates a darkly beautiful tone for the film when paired with Jóhann Jóhannsson's droning score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR0SDT2GeFg

For your consideration in the categories of

Best Picture
Best Director: Denis Villeneuve
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Emily Blunt as Kate Macer
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Benicio del Toro as Alejandro
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Josh Brolin as Matt Graver
Best Cinematography: Roger Deakins
Best Original Screenplay: Taylor Sheridan
Best Original Score: Jóhann Jóhannsson
Best Food/Meal Scene: Silvio's breakfast with his son

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Throwing in a Best Director nom for Cary Joji Fukunaga for Beasts of No Nation.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
My nominations are in! Some categories were surprisingly hard -- there were tons of great and great-looking films last year.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sad to see Bridge of Spies didn't get more love in the nominations. Guess it didn't make the same impression on everyone that it did on me.

Sicario deserves all the awards it gets. Hands down my favorite film of the year. It even gave us the best CineD thread of 2015!

Just realized I didn't nominate Cartel Land for best documentary :negative:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ewar Woowar posted:

Just saw this list. No Revenant as best picture or best director?! No Brie Larson or any awards for Room? Crazy.

Judging by the reactions in its thread, CineD overall wasn't impressed with The Revenant. I don't get it either. Chappie somehow made the best picture list though. This forum is full of weird cranks and that's what makes it fun.

Also, like one person saw Room.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

TrixRabbi posted:

I nominated Room for a ton of awards and y'all failed me.

This process has shown me how many good films I missed this year even though I saw more of them than ever before. 2016 will be different.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Great showcase of Sicario's cinematography. I was really hoping it would win that category, and you goons didn't let me down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
How many people voted this year? Do these awards reflect the opinions of ivory tower film snobs or the great unwashed moviegoing masses?

• Locked thread