Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
I'm going to do some nominations for my top four movies and will probably come back to post some individual nominations with more detail.

Mad Max: Fury Road

George Miller created what many would consider to be a perfect action movie. The editing, the plot, the setting, the characters, and the art design are all perfectly executed in order to produce what are probably the best car chases in film and a grand spectacle that will be remembered and studied for years. The film that has won a few best picture contests so far and will undoubtedly go on to sweep the Golden Globes and Academy Awards. It's so good it almost got banned from these awards? Roflmao

Best Picture
Best Director: George Miller
Best Film Editing: Margaret Sixel
Best Makeup and Costuming
Best Original Score: Junkie XL
The Echoplex Award for Art Design
The Golden Winnebago: Best Trailer
The Michael Bay Award for Best Noises or Lack Thereof (Sound Design)
Best Action Choreography
Best Adapted Screenplay: George Miller, Brendan McCarthy, Nico Lathouris
Best Visual Effects
Best Cinematography: John Seale

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens, the eleventh Star Wars movie, had a lot of expectations to meet. Thankfully, The Force Awakens ended up being a solid, entertaining release that provided plenty of space-fantasy adventure and spectacle. Of particular note is the fantastic creature and character designs that nail the Star Wars aesthetic while bringing something new to the universe.

Best Makeup and Costuming
The Echoplex Award for Art Design
Best Visual Effects

Ex Machina

Ex Machina is an original film in the science fiction genre, a pleasant surprise in a year of franchise films and sequels, that managed to impress and be one of the best films of the year. The movie relies on its three very talented performers and luckily they knock the material out of the park. The film has picked up a few nominations here and there during the awards season, but still not enough recognition in my mind.

Best Picture
Best Director: Alex Garland
Best Actor in a Leading Role: Domhnall Gleeson
Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Oscar Isaac
Best Actress in a Leading Role: Alicia Vikander
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Original Screenplay: Alex Garland

CineD MVP: Domhnall Gleeson (Ex Machina, Brooklyn, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, The Revenant)
CineD MVP: Alicia Vikander (Ex Machina, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Danish Girl)

It Follows

I generally do not watch or even enjoy horror movies, but I found myself going to see this film based on good word of mouth and it became one of my favorite films of the year and one of my favorite horror movies ever. This movie has a novel concept and is quite gorgeous.

Best Picture
Best Director: David Robert Mitchell
Best Original Score: Disasterpeace
Best Original Screenplay: David Robert Mitchell
Best Cinematography: Mike Glouakis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Sir Kodiak posted:

Please post a link to or, even better, embed whatever trailer you're talking about. I know more than one of these had multiple trailers.

Mad Max: Fury Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWNWi-ZWL3c

Star Wars: The Force Awakens
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Sent my nominations in. I left some categories blank because I didn't see any or enough eligible films, and I only nominated from the films that I did see. I also had some trouble coming up with nominees for Best Supporting Actress, I didn't see Carol or The Danish Girl but that wouldn't have mattered if I had because those are cases of category fraud anyways.

Would it be kosher to post the nominations we sent?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Kangra posted:

No Room anywhere? Now I feel bad for not submitting a nomination.

lol at Charlie Theron getting on there for Mad Max and Brie Larson is nowhere to be found.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Vegetable posted:

The list had loving Domhnall Gleeson, it wasn't a very competitive category

I will not allow Domhnall Gleeson to be besmirched in this way. Though I will note that the actual Best Actor winner, Jacob Tremblay, was not on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Sir Kodiak posted:

Sicario was one vote behind.

:eyepop:

• Locked thread