Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What films are eligible for these awards? Is it just any film with a 2015 U.S. theatrical release date? Because that would include films like Testament of Youth and Kingsman, both released in the UK in 2014 but in the US in 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

For Best Actress in a Leading Role, I'm nominating Alicia Vikander in a film few here saw -- The Danish Girl. A lot of talk about this film has centered on it being "Oscar bait," whatever that means. But what Hooper does do, for better or worse, is train his camera on his actors and let them propel the story. With this technique, you get to observe Vikander in what I consider the best leading performance from an actress this year -- and I've seen all the heavy-hitting female-starring vehicles: Room, Brooklyn, Carol, Mad Max: Fury Road...

Vikander puts forth a performance that is in turns moving and devastating, capturing the passion, confusion, and frustration of coping with her partner's turbulent transition. Furtive glances at her partner's enthusiasm for feminine clothing, intense looks of passion in youthful romancing, and heart-rending concern for her partner's declining wellbeing combine to produce a dramatic tour de force.

Indeed, it is in part due to this performance that I nominate her for CineD MVP. No other actor has had a better year. In the two wildly different pictures The Danish Girl and Ex Machina, she demonstrates remarkable breadth. In her first blockbuster The Man From UNCLE, she steals the show with a confident, captivating performance that is perhaps more than the film deserves. And if you had seen her little-known World War I vehicle Testament of Youth, released in the U.S. this year to little fanfare (albeit critical acclaim), you'd have anticipated Vikander's emergence, as she elevates the classical biopic with a resonance and poignancy few living actresses can muster.

2015 would have been an even more astonishing year for her if Derek Cianfrance's The Light Between Oceans, a complete work ready for theatrical screening, hadn't been delayed to 2016 in part to avoid saddling her with even more publicity duties during award season. But we have four tremendous performances from her (three if you exclude Testament of Youth, released in Britain end-2014), and that's better than anybody else this year.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Rooney Mara in Supporting Actress? CineD sure embraces the Weinstein Company's category fraud practices.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The list had loving Domhnall Gleeson, it wasn't a very competitive category

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lol at The Hateful Eight having a better ensemble than Spotlight

• Locked thread