Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Hmm, yes, glad we got rid of that good film that had impeccable spectacle and good performances right away. Wouldn't want any of that in these here awards, no sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Sir Kodiak posted:

The goal was to make things more interesting by allowing some question as to what would win, but if it's more interesting to have another opportunity to talk about an admittedly fantastic film, I'm open to allowing it in.

We have nominations anyway so I don't really see what the big difference would be. Just include it because otherwise it's a major stick-in-the-mud move.

Anyway, I think the best film of the year is The Look of Silence. Joshua Oppenheimer is not only a deeply-committed and intelligent humanitarian, but one of the most gifted filmmakers alive today. What he accomplishes with his anonymous co-director and star is a true act of bravery with a camera, with a level of craft unparalleled in documentary. The title of the film gives away its strongest moments, when the story pauses to just soak up the bugs chirping in the village and the human suffering that doesn't make a single sound yet permeates everything about these characters' lives. If The Act of Killing drew you in at all, The Look of Silence will change your life. Never seen a flick like it, honest.

For your consideration in the categories of: Best Film, Best Director (Joshua Oppenheimer & Anonymous), Best Cinematography, Best Editing, Best Documentary, The Not-Crash for Socially Forward Filmmaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA_ZHAs4M9k

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 10, 2016

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Gotta sling some love to some indies I adored this year:

Heaven Knows What is a 21st-century Panic in Needle Park where the scuzzy vérité of New Hollywood is replaced with its modern offspring, a menagerie of neon lights, unsavory characters, and occasional glints of magical realism. The plot, centered on Holmes' Harley, is mostly just about getting to that next fix, but also features one of the mostly oddly affecting dysfunctional romances I've ever seen with the cruel, repulsive Ilya, played with pinache by Caleb Landry Jones. Based on lead actress Arielle Holmes' actual experiences as a heroin addict in NYC, and featuring a cast of non-actors, many of whom are also addicts, the line between documentary and fiction is meshed into that perfect degree of blurry that delights my inner cinephile. The photography is incredible, the main performance is a mind-blowing debut, and the Safdie brothers have finally taken it to the next level as American indie auteurs to watch. It's a hell of a film.

:nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxWMc7iHt8Q

For your consideration in the categories of: Best Film, Best Actress (Arielle Holmes), Best Cinematography (Sean Price Williams), Best Editing, Best Musical Direction, Best Directors (Safdie bros.), Best Adapted Screenplay (Ronald Bronstein & Joshua Safdie), Golden Winnebago for Best Trailer.

I must also give major props to Tangerine, the funniest film I saw this year. It's got a tight storyline revolving around a singular journey and purpose: Sin-Dee Rella, a trans prostitute, finds out her boyfriend has been sleeping around on her, and spends the whole picture tracking him down. Meanwhile, there's this weirdly endearing subplot about a married Armenian cab driver who loves to frequent these corners for action. Kitana Kiki-Rodriguez, much like Holmes above, is a knockout first-time performer whose intense energy drives the whole experience. By the way, the whole film was shot with an iPhone (with rigs and lenses), a budgetary affordance that not only gives the film a uniquely authentic look of the streets of Los Angeles with that big blue and orange sky, but without which the movie likely never could have been made. This one's on Netflix and it's only 90 minutes so you have no excuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALSwWTb88ZU

For your consideration in the categories of: Best Film, Best Actress (Kitana Kiki-Rodriguez), Best Director (Sean Baker), Best Original Screenplay (Sean Baker, Chris Bergoch), Best Cinematography (Sean Baker, Radium Cheung), Best Production Design, Best Editing, Best Musical Direction, Not-Crash Award for Socially Forward Filmmaking.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 14, 2016

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Quick last minute note: Don Hertzfeldt's World of Tomorrow is on Netflix. I think it deserves not only Best Animated Film consideration but also Best Film and Best Musical Direction. It's the best work of science fiction I saw in 2015.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Proposition Joe posted:

didn't see Carol or The Danish Girl but that wouldn't have mattered if I had because those are cases of category fraud anyways.

:confused: Carol's pretty danged good. It's primarily a Cate vehicle and she slays it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TrixRabbi posted:

Wait what?

Cate won an Oscar for Blue Jasmine.

Also my b. above. Vikander still deserves best supporting for Ex Machina, if you ask me.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Proposition Joe posted:

lol at Charlie Theron getting on there for Mad Max and Brie Larson is nowhere to be found.

Brie Larson is already a Cinebyte winner.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think it's a pretty cool list for an aggregate, although I'm surprised Mark Rylance got left out.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Why is Mad Max under Musical Direction? Doesn't it just have a score? I thought the category was referring to soundtrack curation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Nice. I loved It's a Mad Mad Fury Road.

• Locked thread