Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Critterquest 2016! Post pictures of weird creatures you've stumbled across.

I found this smug little bastard yesterday. What kind of critter is it? Some type of crane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
might be a spot billed pelican, op.

In any case, here's a strange creature. The Pangolin

Not_Rainbow_Horse
Nov 11, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

twofive1 posted:

I bet if this guy was 10 times that size he'd make a great war mount.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Jesus Christ posted:

I found this smug little bastard yesterday. What kind of critter is it? Some type of crane?

house sparrow

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

twofive1 posted:

Aren't these things going extinct because people want to make boots and wallets and poo poo out of their skin?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:
eat up

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

I had sea urchin once at some 11-course dinner at Uchiko and it was weird. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, nobody else could finish their serving so I ate about half a pound of it 'cause I figured "when the hell else am I ever going to eat urchin again?" but man... I'd never pay for it. It basically tastes like if you walk into the ocean, reach down and grab handful of sand, and shove it in your mouth. It's about the same texture too.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Jesus Christ posted:

I had sea urchin once at some 11-course dinner at Uchiko and it was weird. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, nobody else could finish their serving so I ate about half a pound of it 'cause I figured "when the hell else am I ever going to eat urchin again?" but man... I'd never pay for it. It basically tastes like if you walk into the ocean, reach down and grab handful of sand, and shove it in your mouth. It's about the same texture too.

i wonder if it feels pain? eating animals alive seems like a bad time all around

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

A misanthrope posted:

i wonder if it feels pain? eating animals alive seems like a bad time all around

I ate your mom last night, she didn't seem to mind. :shrug:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

VendaGoat posted:

I ate your mom last night, she didn't seem to mind. :shrug:

vendagoat i would be proud to call you dad

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus Christ posted:

Aren't these things going extinct because people want to make boots and wallets and poo poo out of their skin?

They're going extinct for the same reason 90% of animals bigger than a mouse are going extinct: Chinese people think eating some part of them will make their dick hard.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Jesus Christ posted:

think of just about any animal you like that is not a dog or cat or animal we factory farm for food. google that animal to see if it is endangered. it will be endangered.

study just came out that showed we've killed half the wildlife on the planet in the last 40 years. i do nt have a joke here because it isnt very funny imo

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

A misanthrope posted:

think of just about any animal you like that is not a dog or cat or animal we factory farm for food. google that animal to see if it is endangered. it will be endangered.

study just came out that showed we've killed half the wildlife on the planet in the last 40 years. i do nt have a joke here because it isnt very funny imo

Though, it is incredibly metal.

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

satanic splash-back posted:

Though, it is incredibly metal.

true :black101:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Some birds eating other birds from the past couple days:

Peregrine Falcon (it was being chased by a bunch of hungry crows that wanted the grebe it caught)

peregrine-grebe by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Red-shouldered Hawk with a decapitated coot:

rsh-coot1 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 5, 2016

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

We'll always have Paris

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Hector Beerlioz posted:

We'll always have Paris
Oh boy.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
:nws:

Fighting or loving? :iiam:

e: :ms:

stubblyhead fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 4, 2016

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Jesus Christ posted:

Funny bird the pelican, its bill can hold more than its belly can.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Mad Monk posted:

Funny bird the pelican, its bill can hold more than its belly can.

They're hilarious alright!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILX53I4DsYw

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

My brother took this picture in the FL. Keys, he was testing out a new lens when this happy guy just happen to jump into the middle of the viewfinder.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL
These would be all over the house in the winter when I was growing up. We just called them stink bugs because they smelled like goat poo poo fire when you stepped on them. Jesus H Christ help you if you ever vacuumed one up.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mad Monk posted:

My brother took this picture in the FL. Keys, he was testing out a new lens when this happy guy just happen to jump into the middle of the viewfinder.

i didnt know that turtles could hover like that. nice find!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
d

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

same

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

I love the fact that he's in the lower right hand corner watching me jack off.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

My scorpion was looking a little hungry so I tossed him a cricket this evening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhKuLLCDj3s

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

Fighting or loving? :iiam:

No mystery they're loving

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yay, a new thread for a new year. :neckbeard:

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I know GBS is more about LOL SHITPOSTING than threads like this but Critterquest was one of the long-running GBS megathreads that was actually worth keeping.

Contributions:

Big gator

Anhinga

Can any Bird Nerds identify this little blue guy? I caught him mid-fluff. He was gorgeous but didn't stick around for long unfortunately

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

It's got the white thighs of a tricolored heron, but the bill and legs look blue like a little blue heron so idk? Maybe a little blue that's molting from the white immature to the dark adult, because the tricoloreds apparently have distinctly yellow bills and legs.

Here's one of the pseudoscorpions that keep popping up in my bathroom, little thing wouldn't sit still long enough to get a good shot:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Jesus Christ posted:

i ate a pelican similar to this in a fancy restaurant once. it was quite tasty but the bill was MASSIVE

lmao 😁

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Cuckoo posted:

I know GBS is more about LOL SHITPOSTING than threads like this but Critterquest was one of the long-running GBS megathreads that was actually worth keeping.
Last time around we were debating moving it to PYF, and GBS has become more saturated with shitposting since then. I'm all for moving the thread - any thoughts on the subject?

In the mean time, Humboldt County has its first confirmed Great Gray Owl visitor since 1982. I went out to see it on the first clear morning of the week, and the first active vole of the morning happened to come out of its burrow a few feet in front of where I was standing. The owl flew in to the fence along the road to get a closer look, and I thought I had my closest shot of the owl for the day, then it dove right toward me when the vole came out again. It looked startled when I started moving my camera back, so I just filmed the rest of the encounter on my phone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx0D-G5PSbE

Some stills from later in the day:

ggo-dive by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ggo-closeup by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

ggo-landing by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

And some Short-eared Owls from Arcata Bottoms:

diving-at-dusk by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

owl-tall-grass by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

moon potato how the gently caress.

are you a bird whisperer? that owl is so close

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

GreyPowerVan posted:

moon potato how the gently caress.

are you a bird whisperer? that owl is so close
The Great Gray Owl gave no fucks about approaching people. For the Short-eared Owls, I have to go out in a field and sit quietly until they start to hunt in the late afternoon. After a couple passes, they're usually willing to come in pretty close to me if they find prey nearby. The Great Gray Owl also thought it was a dangerous elk.

wild-elk by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

naem
May 29, 2011

Moon potato may I have permission to use your photos as drawing references thank you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
old nooner would have empty quoted something and then synpaed the thread 10 seconds later, but I have be changed by my latest stint in kitty jail and am cleaning up my act

• Locked thread