Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Floof mode...engaged.
Excellent floof. I wish I didn't have to drive a few hours north to find magpies.

A school of smelt made its way into Arcata Marsh's brackish pond, so the egrets and herons have been feasting there.

They also engage floof mode after fishing.

A river otter mother has been raising her three pups by the fishing pier in Trinidad, California this year.

There were a few people casting crab pots off the pier while I was there, and the otters would swim in to retrieve all the small ones that got thrown back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Made a new friend in my basement:

Shined a flashlight in her face. S/he appears to have two big forward-facing eyes and the characteristic wolf spider eye mustache underneath, but I couldn't tell for sure.

Northern Virginia, in case anyone cares.

Edit: sorry, tables.

Not a wolf spider. Probably a grass spider.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MrSlam posted:

Most of the humpback whales were taken off the endangered species list :unsmith:

I know this probably means "most populations" but I can't help but think of a government / UN official making this statement then following with

But THESE individuals are still on the list.
*puts up photographs of whales on slide-show projector*
OPEN SEASON!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

also, im preapproved for a capital one card!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:kimchi:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

he tried to burrow between the envelopes for safety :shobon:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

poverty goat posted:

also, im preapproved for a capital one card!

And all this time I've been calling it "snail mail."

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Neither snow nor rain, nor tiny turtles, nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

Erethizon_dorsatum
Nov 14, 2009

Chinston Wurchill posted:

After seeing three beavers, a muskrat (bunking in their lodge), a coyote, a porcupine, and a bald eagle on my run yesterday morning, I was motivated to get out this morning with my SLR for some critterquesting, in spite of the rather chilly weather.

Almost immediately after stepping on the trail I caught these porcupines fraternizing. Unfortunately it was still too dark to get decent close up shots.

Luckily there was more light on the walk back, but the female was gone by then.

Don't dox me pls

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Potato pics, but awesome bush-full-of-emerging-butterflies:

There were dozens of them, in all stages, but I had my hands full of stuff.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

mr hawk really made a mess this time

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A couple of these bugs appeared in my office window:

Not a clue what they are...I should probably put them in a cup and bring them outside or something, poor guys keep crawling on the window, not understanding why they aren't outside.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not a clue what they are...I should probably put them in a cup and bring them outside or something, poor guys keep crawling on the window, not understanding why they aren't outside.

Set 'em free. A fly that was alive in my office this morning just keeled over and died :(

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

DrBouvenstein posted:

western conifer seed bug, they feed on tree sap but around this time of year they'll probably be looking for somewhere to hibernate

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

vaguely posted:

western conifer seed bug, they feed on tree sap but around this time of year they'll probably be looking for somewhere to hibernate

I like that it's referred to as a "true bug."

"Ralph, let me tell you... you are a true bug, my friend." :cheers:

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

vaguely posted:

They're also an invasive species outside of the western United States, but don't squash them because they smell a lot worse than stink bugs do. Shame that they're so prolific and destructive, because they sure are attention-grabbing!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Abyssal Squid posted:

They're also an invasive species outside of the western United States, but don't squash them because they smell a lot worse than stink bugs do. Shame that they're so prolific and destructive, because they sure are attention-grabbing!

Well, I'm in the eastern US, so I guess I'll...uhh...do nothing?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The easiest, most-humane option for insects and other small inverts you don't want to / can't set free is to pop them into a freezer. Household freezers typically run at -20C and a less-than-1g bug is going to be a bugscicle in a few minutes. If you have a change of heart after 30 seconds they'll just be slowed down rather than dead.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

And then you mail them to DrBouvenstein! :getin:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

The easiest, most-humane option for insects and other small inverts you don't want to / can't set free is to pop them into a freezer. Household freezers typically run at -20C and a less-than-1g bug is going to be a bugscicle in a few minutes. If you have a change of heart after 30 seconds they'll just be slowed down rather than dead.

How is slowly freezing them to death more humane than turning them into pulp instantly with your shoe

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

poverty goat posted:

How is slowly freezing them to death more humane than turning them into pulp instantly with your shoe

Freezing to death is like falling asleep. Being crushed to death is like having your body explode from pressure and force.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

MrSlam posted:

Freezing to death is like falling asleep. Being crushed to death is like having your body explode from pressure and force.

But as soon as it begins its over and there's nothing left to feel pain

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I have no way to evaluate the pain of a shoe-splat vs. a freezer from the point of view of an insect.

I do have a way to evaluate the humaneness from the point of view of a human - the aforementioned smell isn't going to happen in the freezer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Have you smelled my freezer? :colbert:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

poverty goat posted:

But as soon as it begins its over and there's nothing left to feel pain

Personally I think freezing is both much more hygienic and much more humane. I've never seen a bug twitch after being frozen.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Xposting from herp thread for ID help.

gandhichan posted:

Does anyone here know turtles? We found one swimming aimlessly in our pool a couple weeks ago, and I don't want to torture it in a watery hellchamber if, say, it's actually a terrestrial species.

I took it to the vet yesterday, who indicated that it was Most Definitely a pond turtle that likes bigass tanks of water and basking on a hot rock. Some guy at turtle forum dot com says gently caress that it's a box turtle. What's the main difference I should be looking for in babies? Idk jack about turtles.

No location posted yet.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

my cat is norris posted:

Xposting from herp thread for ID help.

No location posted yet.

I'd like a top down shot but that little dude does look a lot like a hatchling 3 toed box turtle. The cupped shell shape, dorsal ridge, and flared edge is characteristic of box turtles in general afaik. OP needs to tell you where they are and preferably post better pics.

E.g.,
http://s222.photobucket.com/user/shelledfriends/media/August_2013/DSC_0430.jpg.html
http://s222.photobucket.com/user/shelledfriends/media/August_2013/DSC_0425.jpg.html

I personally wouldn't necessarily trust a vet to ID anything unless they were enthusiasts in the particular area.

Edit: "Pond turtle" isn't necessarily a useful ID in any case; the Western Pond Turtle doesn't look much like this (and has a hella narrow range) and it's definitely not a painted turt, slider, or cooter. It could be a yellow mud turtle (hatchling) maybe, but again range constraints.

Edit edit: Wikipedia doesn't reflect this clearly but I guess there's a northern western and southern western pond turtle (loving lol) the southern species seems to be more similar to OP's turt but I'd still want to see a clear overhead photo.

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 19, 2016

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

This is a very helpful post, thank you. Turns out the guy was found in central California, which looks to have box turtles galore. Your post is in agreement with enthusiasts from a turtle forum, so I think a consensus has been reached.

Another pic has been shared in the herp thread and you can still see the egg tooth. :kimchi:

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 19, 2016

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the tiniest house centipede ive ever seen is hiding in my bathroom sink

he just stood next to the drain and wiggled his antennae at me when i brushed my teeth and now he's hiding v conspicuously under the stopper w/ his appendages hanging out. better get your act together little guy

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Green anole? I found this in a cemetery in New Orleans

Nola Cemetary Anole-3293 on Flickr

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

:eng101: Brown anole! That wide cream dorsal stripe indicates female I think. I didn't actually realize they had moved out of Florida but it looks like their (invasive) range is expanding.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

:eng101: Brown anole! That wide cream dorsal stripe indicates female I think. I didn't actually realize they had moved out of Florida but it looks like their (invasive) range is expanding.

Thanks! I wasn't sure- the online info I found suggested Brown would have some sort of crest but then this one seemed not big enough to be an adult(?)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Can anyone identify this bug?

It's about 1/4" long. Not a great image I realize, had to use my flatbed scanner so see any detail. This is the second one I've caught. Just came back from vacation where I'm pretty sure one of the three hotels I stayed at had bedbugs. Thanks to the internet I think this is PROBABLY not a bedbug, but while cleaning every inch of my bedroom I found this. This is the second once I've found since I returned from my trip, the other one I found in my bathroom (where I had been unpacking, instead of on my bed, aware that my luggage may contain bedbugs). Any ideas??

Edit: Well a helpful goon has told me its a (spoiled in case you like the challenge of identification?) Black-spotted brown click beetle http://bugguide.net/node/view/990286 Now I feel a little bad about sticking him to a piece of paper. :(

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 20, 2016

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Thanks! I wasn't sure- the online info I found suggested Brown would have some sort of crest but then this one seemed not big enough to be an adult(?)

Yeah I think it's the males that can develop a head and back crest (They also seem to have stripes down the sides instead of dorsally)

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Can anyone tell me what type of caterpillar this is? I found it on a brussel sprout and since this photo was taken has started to become a pupa or just build a blanket and sleep.

It's less than a centimeter long.

Edit: It doesn't look like anything labeled green at http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Caterpillars

dirby fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 22, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Can anyone identify this bug?

It's about 1/4" long. Not a great image I realize, had to use my flatbed scanner so see any detail. This is the second one I've caught. Just came back from vacation where I'm pretty sure one of the three hotels I stayed at had bedbugs. Thanks to the internet I think this is PROBABLY not a bedbug, but while cleaning every inch of my bedroom I found this. This is the second once I've found since I returned from my trip, the other one I found in my bathroom (where I had been unpacking, instead of on my bed, aware that my luggage may contain bedbugs). Any ideas??

Edit: Well a helpful goon has told me its a (spoiled in case you like the challenge of identification?) Black-spotted brown click beetle http://bugguide.net/node/view/990286 Now I feel a little bad about sticking him to a piece of paper. :(

My family had a dog that was fascinated by anything that clicked, these beetles in particular.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

dirby posted:

Can anyone tell me what type of caterpillar this is? I found it on a brussel sprout and since this photo was taken has started to become a pupa or just build a blanket and sleep.

It's less than a centimeter long.

Edit: It doesn't look like anything labeled green at http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Caterpillars

might be a sawfly larva

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

The otter family has moved on from Arcata Marsh's western pond, so Double-crested Cormorants are gathering to fish there now.

Sometimes cormorants upset the grebes and send them dashing off across the pond.

Bitterns are returning from their breeding grounds.

There's been a crab population explosion, so everyone's eating them now.

A young Northern Harrier has been chasing flocks of shorebirds and coming up empty.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poverty goat posted:

the tiniest house centipede ive ever seen is hiding in my bathroom sink

he just stood next to the drain and wiggled his antennae at me when i brushed my teeth and now he's hiding v conspicuously under the stopper w/ his appendages hanging out. better get your act together little guy

That's one cute centipede. :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I went to refill the bird feeder so the red breasted nuthatches that've been hanging around would have something to eat, and one of the nerds landed on the feeder while I was still holding it! I sat down nice and close and got some out-of-focus phone pics.

And to give a sense of how close I was sitting, I just had to slide forward in the chair a little bit to touch it:

Those are some bold little Canadians.

• Locked thread