Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
if you don't know muv luv and read visual novels like the lovely goon you are, read muv luv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5JICa_ZxBk

guess who's back back back

back again gain gain

Beings of the Terrestrial Origin which is Adversary of human race are back

tell a friend

If you know Muv Luv you're probably hype and begging for anything that isn't Total Eclipse, and if you don't know Muv Luv then based on the first episode this will be drat near nonsense to you and you probably don't need to watch it. Episode one was okay.

if this ends up being bad im going to be pretty pissed off...

klapman fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I mean, it's the OP a MuvLuv product deserves

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
I don't know the first goddamn thing about Muv Luv but I like the Cold War and I like anime, so I'm probably going to like this.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Once again the communists are so cartoonishly evil to the point of parody.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just about the only believable aspect of this setting is how all the countries are just barely willing to cooperate to avoid complete human extinction. They would all much rather get into pissing matches than try to accomplish much of anything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Just about the only believable aspect of this setting is how all the countries are just barely willing to cooperate to avoid complete human extinction. They would all much rather get into pissing matches than try to accomplish much of anything.

If only the other countries would act like mature adults, like the imperial house of Japan!

Even though I enjoyed Muv-Luv, it is pretty hilariously nationalistic/right-wing (the main games, I know some other Muv-Luv media apparently aren't as bad about this). I like how the shogun and her family are just super honorable and presented as being basically morally perfect*, while the true impediment to Japan is the corrupt, civilian-elected government. Even the uber-patriotic perpetrators of the coup d'etat are basically portrayed as being correct but using the wrong methods to achieve their goals. I have no problems with portraying the US as being morally questionable and acting in its own self-interest, since that's pretty realistic, but it becomes dumb when you do that while simultaneously having another country/leader be a paragon of moral virtue. At least they laid off of the dumb nationalism after the coup d'etat arc.

* no exaggeration, I think the shogun is portrayed as being literally perfect in every way, while Meiya's only imperfection is the fact that she is too selfless or something

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I read muv luv just out of high school, which is probably the best time you can possibly read it. Looking back on it its greatest strength lies in its ability to go on for dozens of hours without entirely losing you

like you can talk poo poo about its glacial pacing, and you'd be right to, but hell if it doesn't get you to be invested in watching people play cats cradle of all things

the fact that it has the audacity to include a subplot about someone playing a game for too long is just icing on the cake

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
"I watched TE to the very dumb and ridiculous end, this should be a breeze in comparison" "I'm gunna defect to East Germany for absolutely no real thought out reason" :psyduck:
Ok, guess I'll prepare for a hell of a ride, but at least the historical clothing will be cool, and maybe they'll be a subplot about the protag's Trabant breaking down.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

"I watched TE to the very dumb and ridiculous end, this should be a breeze in comparison" "I'm gunna defect to East Germany for absolutely no real thought out reason" :psyduck:
Ok, guess I'll prepare for a hell of a ride, but at least the historical clothing will be cool, and maybe they'll be a subplot about the protag's Trabant breaking down.

Haven't seen the episode yet, but defecting to crazy dictatorships out of misplaced idealism is something people who should know better occasionally do in real life.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Silver2195 posted:

Haven't seen the episode yet, but defecting to crazy dictatorships out of misplaced idealism is something people who should know better occasionally do in real life.

Yeah, but this isn't a case of gently caress you dad, as a communist who believes capitalism is inherently exploitative it's more like Uhh, I want to make East German friends and get to know you Even the idiot US servicemen who defected to North Korea (thinking they'd just let them leave and get back to the US and somehow avoid desertion charges) weren't quite that dumb. I mean FFS, the girl is even :downs: enough to talk aboutGerman Reunification in public and doesn't understand the idea of Stasi informants I mean, I'm sure it's more a case of being an audience stand in so they could provide exposition, but I feel like this poo poo is gonna be ham handed as all hell.

I'd much rather be seeing an exploration of how the East German leadership handling being cut off from their main USSR support and having to collaborate far more with NATO while still maintaining control. Although we probably know the answer is gonna be purges for everyone. A bit that made me sad though was the fact that apparently pilot suits have not evolved at all between the 1980s and the 2000s, it would have been pleasant to see a marked difference in design aesthetics, especially differing Warsaw Pact and NATO equipment :sigh:

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 12, 2016

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

klapman posted:

if you don't know muv luv and read visual novels like the lovely goon you are, read muv luv

It's also coming to Steam soon, so keep your eyes out.

But you probably already backed this poo poo on Kickstarter and got a hug pillow, didn't you?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

Not to say this isn't a dumb show, but the conversation outdoors made it clear she was bullshitting in order to survive unfamiliar and hostile territory. The protagonist ranting at her about how horrible the country really was let her know she could trust him with the real reason she was in the GDR. The clumsy, idealistic ingenue was a mask, and we see her take it off in that long pause when she had her back turned to him.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 12, 2016

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Mordaedil posted:

It's also coming to Steam soon, so keep your eyes out.

But you probably already backed this poo poo on Kickstarter and got a hug pillow, didn't you?

i apologize i had to spend all my money in the kickstarter just to get the actual game extra things were out of the question

didn't one of their backer reward model kits only end up shipping like a single one

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

That's what I get for blanking out. Thanks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of Total Eclipse and this, even if the stories/characters are dumb do they at least have cool combat between the mechs and the BETA (or between mechs I guess)?

klapman posted:

like you can talk poo poo about its glacial pacing, and you'd be right to, but hell if it doesn't get you to be invested in watching people play cats cradle of all things

the fact that it has the audacity to include a subplot about someone playing a game for too long is just icing on the cake

I actually enjoyed the pre-"poo poo begins to go down" parts the most in Unlimited and Alternative, which is apparently an uncommon opinion. While the dramatic/action-packed parts are done pretty well (particularly the way they managed to simulate action using still images), I found them kind of predictable.

One thing I did like in Alternative is how Takeru is acting like billy badass because he comes from the future and has Seen poo poo, but then you end up finding out that all he did was stand guard and had never been in a real battle (other than the - presumably first - one that killed him that he can't even remember), so he flips out after encountering his first real battle.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
I hope they discuss why the leader of an East German elite fighter squadron is allowed to wear Christian imagery in public, when in the real East Germany military, officers with Christians in the extended family were told to cut off all contact and actual Christians never made it as far as becoming officers in the first place.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

ArchangeI posted:

I hope they discuss why the leader of an East German elite fighter squadron is allowed to wear Christian imagery in public, when in the real East Germany military, officers with Christians in the extended family were told to cut off all contact and actual Christians never made it as far as becoming officers in the first place.

A bunch of freakshow monster bugs invading the world might make it easier for them to accept religion, if only to allow people to scream "JESUS CHRIST!" more often.

That might just be my western worldview talking, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Command Ant posted:

A bunch of freakshow monster bugs invading the world might make it easier for them to accept religion, if only to allow people to scream "JESUS CHRIST!" more often.

That might just be my western worldview talking, though.

Also, they've been mauled to the point where most men of fighting age have been killed off and they're throwing everyone up to and including screechy PTSD head-cases onto the front lines just so they have extra guns. Dictatorships' laws are porous at the best of times, designed more to regulate and exploit than ban certain behaviours, and the dire situation the GDR is in here makes it pretty likely that someone would go 'yeah, she's useful, and we can always bring the hammer down on her for displaying that Christian crap if she does something we don't like'.

That's way more thought than the creators of an anime that includes this screenshot have likely put into their setting, but it's still within the realm of plausibility.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The second episode of Total Eclipse still gives me that :stonk: feeling when I remember what happened to that one friend of Yui.

The Alternative VN is still pretty much my favorite part of the whole franchise, though.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, they've been mauled to the point where most men of fighting age have been killed off and they're throwing everyone up to and including screechy PTSD head-cases onto the front lines just so they have extra guns. Dictatorships' laws are porous at the best of times, designed more to regulate and exploit than ban certain behaviours, and the dire situation the GDR is in here makes it pretty likely that someone would go 'yeah, she's useful, and we can always bring the hammer down on her for displaying that Christian crap if she does something we don't like'.

That's way more thought than the creators of an anime that includes this screenshot have likely put into their setting, but it's still within the realm of plausibility.

Having worked with different types of devout Christians, I can tell you that it's on a case-to-case basis. Also, probably most people aren't looking at the cross. :pervert:

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any book recommendations on the actual history of real not-anime East Germany? It occurs to me I'm not nearly as well read on the subject as I'd like to be.

I do kind of expect that Muv Luv GDR would turn out an entirely different beast than the real world one. WWII ended differently somehow, with Germany getting nuked, didn't it? Couple that with their Soviet ally being torn to shreds and the threat of imminent BETA annihilation and I really doubt that they'd have the leeway to be particular about ideology. If anything they'd have a strong incentive to make up with the west, both due to a common enemy and the practical need to secure an evacuation route.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

Does anyone have any book recommendations on the actual history of real not-anime East Germany? It occurs to me I'm not nearly as well read on the subject as I'd like to be.

I do kind of expect that Muv Luv GDR would turn out an entirely different beast than the real world one. WWII ended differently somehow, with Germany getting nuked, didn't it? Couple that with their Soviet ally being torn to shreds and the threat of imminent BETA annihilation and I really doubt that they'd have the leeway to be particular about ideology. If anything they'd have a strong incentive to make up with the west, both due to a common enemy and the practical need to secure an evacuation route.

Yeah but the worldbuilding exposition bit at the start said that the Stasi went full-on Stalinist purges (which I can absolutely see them doing, those guys were the hardest of the hardcore).

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Bakanogami posted:

Or they could double down because doing otherwise would mean admitting that they were wrong about all of the terrible things they'd done. Stressful situations leading to internal conflict and purges is a very human response.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

Yeah but the worldbuilding exposition bit at the start said that the Stasi went full-on Stalinist purges (which I can absolutely see them doing, those guys were the hardest of the hardcore).

Paracelsus posted:

Or they could double down because doing otherwise would mean admitting that they were wrong about all of the terrible things they'd done. Stressful situations leading to internal conflict and purges is a very human response.

I guess it could be. It's just that most Muv Luv media we're used to everyone being so drained of human resources they're drafting pre-teens. I guess that's the difference here, it's only been 10 years since the Kashgar landing.

In other news, watching the response to the show in Japanese is amusing because of the small but substantial minority who never even knew Germany was split.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this show has started on a very good premise and is working with a lot of good parts that I can see moving in interesting directions. The first two episodes of Total Eclipse also did not seem too bad though, so I just hope it stays at this quality.

Bakanogami posted:

In other news, watching the response to the show in Japanese is amusing because of the small but substantial minority who never even knew Germany was split.

Oh jesus, I'd be embarrassed if I were them.

Where do you follow the Japanese response anyway?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

I feel like this show has started on a very good premise and is working with a lot of good parts that I can see moving in interesting directions. The first two episodes of Total Eclipse also did not seem too bad though, so I just hope it stays at this quality.

Oh jesus, I'd be embarrassed if I were them.

Where do you follow the Japanese response anyway?

A couple lovely anime blogs, comments on the niconico stream, and sometimes a small section of reddit some Japanese users moved to from 2ch.

I've heard that the novels this is based on are very good, but some people actually like Total Eclipse, so you never really know.

From episode 1, it seems to be following a much more accurate portrayal of Muv Luv's combat, with not much flying around, lasers never missing and taking 2-3 seconds to burn through armor, etc. That gives me a lot of hope on that end, at least. Total eclipse was 90% aerial dogfight training and was just all around sloppily made.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The theme song for this show is called "white forces".

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The second episode was pretty gripping and it seems to at least have better production values that TE (or at least is better directed) so I'm sticking with it for now.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I was pretty pleased overall; the crew interacted pretty believably, the combat was top notch (as was the training session), and the fortress looks like it will make for a cool plot point in the following episodes.

I'm not sure where they are going with the Stasi letting the Hannibal unit get wiped out though, I feel like wasting state resources because you don't like one specific commander is wildly inefficient.

Funnier point, if you look at the scrolling articles that were censored, the "dissapeared" major general's name pops up once or twice without being blacked out. I guess censors in the Muv-Luv world are as incompent as they are IRL.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

From episode 1, it seems to be following a much more accurate portrayal of Muv Luv's combat, with not much flying around, lasers never missing and taking 2-3 seconds to burn through armor, etc. That gives me a lot of hope on that end, at least. Total eclipse was 90% aerial dogfight training and was just all around sloppily made.

Yea, this at least. Everything else seems to be very rushed.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nine of Eight posted:

I'm not sure where they are going with the Stasi letting the Hannibal unit get wiped out though, I feel like wasting state resources because you don't like one specific commander is wildly inefficient.

Congratulations, you have solved the mystery of why the Stasi were bad.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nine of Eight posted:

Military outcomes are the army's problem. If it further reinforces that the Stasi are above everyone else and can get away with anything, that's all that matters.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

The theme song for this show is called "white forces".

It is snowing a whole lot in this show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Military outcomes are the army's problem. If it further reinforces that the Stasi are above everyone else and can get away with anything, that's all that matters.

Also, to adopt a insane Stasi perspective, they're thinking long-term. If an elite unit has been compromised by a West German infiltrator, they need to obliterate it fast before the sedition spreads and cripples their war effort against the BETA. They're taking a significant loss now to avert a gigantic loss down the line.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Congratulations, you have solved the mystery of why the Stasi were bad.

I feel like there's much easier ways of pointing out the Stasi are evil though, just look at anything they did in real life.

For example, here's a somewhat more effective depiction of the Stasi being jerks (Amazing movie by the way)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu-NJA4Y1RI

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, to adopt a insane Stasi perspective, they're thinking long-term. If an elite unit has been compromised by a West German infiltrator, they need to obliterate it fast before the sedition spreads and cripples their war effort against the BETA. They're taking a significant loss now to avert a gigantic loss down the line.

So you dissappear the infltrator and very clearly suggest to the rest of the unit that you know exactly where they poop and how many times per day. I feel like killing off units whenever a single member is ideologically impure is a good way of running out of units.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 19, 2016

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Anime is cool

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

Nine of Eight posted:

So you dissappear the infltrator and very clearly suggest to the rest of the unit that you know exactly where they poop and how many times per day. I feel like killing off units whenever a single member is ideologically impure is a good way of running out of units.

Please don't do this. Please don't be Cinema Sins to a bunch of cartoon villains.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So that episode wasn't great, but some real bad poo poo is going down next episode and I'm curious to see where it goes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So I haven't read ML, but I'm basically aware of the premise (aliens invade, poo poo goes down, also there's time travel/alternate history fuckery and robots). How lost am I gonna be?

I have time to watch anim but reading 3 full VNs is a much taller order at the moment (though I plan to do it at some point)

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So I haven't read ML, but I'm basically aware of the premise (aliens invade, poo poo goes down, also there's time travel/alternate history fuckery and robots). How lost am I gonna be?

I have time to watch anim but reading 3 full VNs is a much taller order at the moment (though I plan to do it at some point)

not very since this story apparently takes place before the VNs and most of the metaphysical stuff just involves the VN's protag and is irrelevant outside that. Knowing that there's aliens and robots is pretty much enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

You probably know everything you need to enjoy this just fine. Just don't try to educate yourself by watching Total Eclipse, that was a total poo poo-show.

Also, the nice thing about the VN's is that they feel like a feature film anime movie, but where you can take breaks whenever you get fatigued.

• Locked thread