Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The first two episodes of Total Eclipse were pretty cool I guess. But no more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
to people who backed the kickstarter translation like i did, a question:

uhhh, was i supposed to have given them the name of my steam account by now? because I sure haven't gotten any prompt to enter that in

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
I didn't receive any notification saying you had to, so I guess no? You can always fire off a tweet to @muvluvseries over on twitter if you're a hip kid for the new age of social media or whatever.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I sure hope not since I haven't either. Presumably they just email you keys to activate it on steam.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
i'm astonished Lise survived even one episode, i'm placing her odds on not being the next person to die at about 3%

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
she can't betray them somehow, be mortally wounded, and be made vaguely sympathetic by showing a flashback depicting her torture at the hands of the stasi while implying that she was trying to protect her brother all along in the space of one episode.

3 episode arc, probably around the middle of the season

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
yeah that's probs the direction they're going with her but the first second she just suddenly showed up i was like 'ohhhh there is noooo way she is keeping all of her organs'

because when the hell has the innocent younger sister character, whose tragic fate gives the hero a complex about protecting innocent young girls, reappeared out of nowhere and had a happy and merry time of it all

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Was that actually good? I can't tell when this was the bar that Satelite set.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
thus far all signs point to 'this is probably not going to be as awful as total eclipse'

there have been boats and they look like okay boats. so far the visual quality has been alright? nothing impressive but it's doing the job fine

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
That TSF carrier was looking pretty QUALITY though. And those Katyushas weren't so hot either. But it's ok. I don't expect Muv-Luv anime to have great production values.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Muvluv animes.jpg

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Largepotato posted:

Muvluv animes.jpg

what a vibrant and colorful town,

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gyra_Solune posted:

yeah that's probs the direction they're going with her but the first second she just suddenly showed up i was like 'ohhhh there is noooo way she is keeping all of her organs'

because when the hell has the innocent younger sister character, whose tragic fate gives the hero a complex about protecting innocent young girls, reappeared out of nowhere and had a happy and merry time of it all

Naw, she's clearly a traitor.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe the whole thing is a long con and the MC is the real traitor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nine of Eight posted:

Maybe the whole thing is a long con and the MC is the real traitor.

That would be a deeply silly and unnecessarily grimdark twist.

In the context of this show, I'm all for it.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
this week on muv luv:

:wtc:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Gyra_Solune posted:

this week on muv luv:

:wtc:

And they were doing so good on not being poo poo.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I'm guessing Gretel isn't long for this world.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Well. If you just shut off your brain and ignore the fact that Theodor admits to banging his sister so he can hopefully control her this is actually a pretty good episode. It even involves alt universe Angela Merkel commanding a fortress!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

If only they didn't have that sideplot, if it was literally any other combination of characters it'd be mostly fine. :sigh:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

If only they didn't have that sideplot, if it was literally any other combination of characters it'd be mostly fine. :sigh:

I mean, I get what they were going for, it's East Germany and you gotta do hosed up poo poo to survive, but still :gonk:
That said, I laughed my rear end off when Theodor realised his hosed up plan to keep the unit safe didn't even work.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I honestly have no problems with anything, because they are literally just childhood friends and siblings in but name.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I honestly have no problems with anything, because they are literally just childhood friends and siblings in but name.

My issue comes from the fact that SHE STILL CALLS HIM ONII CHAN.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

yeah like if they were really close childhood friends it'd be one thing but theodor has clearly an enormous sister complex

man oh man oh man what is this show

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gyra_Solune posted:

yeah like if they were really close childhood friends it'd be one thing but theodor has clearly an enormous sister complex

man oh man oh man what is this show

It is called Muv Luv after all.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

It's been a while, but didn't the same thing happened in Total Eclipse with Yui and Yuuya? And Yui still totally had the hots for her 'onii-chan'. Like this seems like a thing that comes with the territory. :suicide:

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Wark Say posted:

It's been a while, but didn't the same thing happened in Total Eclipse with Yui and Yuuya? And Yui still totally had the hots for her 'onii-chan'. Like this seems like a thing that comes with the territory. :suicide:

They were zero related at all and never met at any time in their childhood unless I had a cerebral aneurysm sometime while I was watching the show.

EDIT: Welp, I was wrong. Half-siblings.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 24, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nine of Eight posted:

EDIT: Welp, I was wrong. Half-siblings.

I think that's a VN only thing. But also Total Eclipse outside of episodes 1 and 2 is just bad and I wouldn't be surprised if it did cause you to have a cerebral aneurysm.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I think that's a VN only thing. But also Total Eclipse outside of episodes 1 and 2 is just bad and I wouldn't be surprised if it did cause you to have a cerebral aneurysm.

For the most part, yeah. An almost-complete turd. Although I usually found it funny whenever Gin-chan Vincent or someone else in their social circle gave Yuuya poo poo for being an unlikable dullard or to chill out. Also, I found it impossible to not hear Gintoki any time Vincent spoke, which I guess explains why I survived watching the show.

The Total Eclipse VN is slightly better, though. Although nowhere near as :black101: as Alternative.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
On one hand, I thought it was kind of interesting because it's a hosed up situation with hosed up people and a hosed up thing happening like quasi-incest makes more sense here than it does in say, a high school harem romance

On the other hand, I'm unable to divorce it from the creepy Japanese imouto fetish that haunts anime like a really stinky ghost

and then on a third, weirdly misshappen hand, I'm pondering the sense of the onii-chan poo poo even being in there. I mean it's a Japanese story written by Japanese people, so it's self-evident, but still... I can't help but wonder if there's some next gen localization poo poo that could be accomplished by having there be English subs and a German dub for this. I can't remember the last time I watched an anime that explicitly took place in a real world location (alternate sci-fi history or not) that had absolutely no Japanese characters. Not even fractionally Japanese!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

On the other hand, I'm unable to divorce it from the creepy Japanese imouto fetish that haunts anime like a really stinky ghost

Oh man, if only it was only anime. I think it actually started as a thing in dating sims during the 90's, but for all I know, it could be older than that too. As a fetish, I mean.

It must be pretty loving weird to be siblings in Japan and get this constant cultural perspective that puts you together.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm pretty sure only otaku creepos think that in Japan too

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm pretty sure only otaku creepos think that in Japan too

That's kinda naive with how much we see of it as a cultural export from Japan, how prevelant it is, how much product is produced around it and how many of these creepos get publisher deals to produce mangas, animes and games all based around this thing. It's too big to just throw away as "well, only a certain niché in Japan cares". Some people with serious clout must care about this poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Otaku creeps have a lot of disposable income, lol if you think any of that is remotely mainstream in Japan though

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Mordaedil posted:

That's kinda naive with how much we see of it as a cultural export from Japan, how prevelant it is, how much product is produced around it and how many of these creepos get publisher deals to produce mangas, animes and games all based around this thing. It's too big to just throw away as "well, only a certain niché in Japan cares". Some people with serious clout must care about this poo poo.

I'm not a fan of American comics, and I wouldn't say that I feel any pressure to conform to the weird poo poo that happens in them. I don't even pay attention to them beyond watching big superhero movies sometimes

Why would the average Japanese person be any different with weird manga/anime stuff

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Mordaedil posted:

Youre right. Those wacky orientals love loving their siblings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It'd be dumb to extrapolate from a particular niche art-form to the entirety of a country's culture. On the other hand, it seems reasonable to note that a fair amount of adult-geared anime is pitched towards a weird, insular otaku community that compensates for its lack of size with astonishingly deep pockets, and that catering to this niche audience involves playing to an unusual number of strange fetishes, including incest, that may have some small, distorted roots in broader Japanese culture (like how a low birth rate means less odds of having a sibling, so otaku weirdos are more likely to fetishise sisters they've never had).

It's very much like the bizarre poo poo we've seen in Western superhero comics with the aging and shrinking of their demographics. It's easy to compare the more unpleasant excesses of late-night anime to stuff like Ultimatum or Mark Millar's nastier outpourings, even if their particular audiences may be more or less tolerant of particular forms of hideousness.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Your average Japanese person doesn't watch all that much anime, assuming they even watch anime at all. Of the subset which does, even fewer feel the need to buy DVDs/Blu-Rays. You buy those only if you really, really like a show and want to be able to rewatch it whenever. Fewer still pay attention to the visual novel scene.

Those shows keep getting made because they keep turning just enough of a profit from people who are into that stuff to justify making more, because - surprise, surprise - it turns out the kind of person who would be into that stuff would be really into that stuff and willing to pay through the nose for it. That demographic in no way maps to a substantive portion of Japan's population any more than, say, furries do in the United States.

Please refrain from making blanket statements and assumptions in the future. Thanks!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know Boss Seafood. Not speaking for anyone else here, but my guess is that some people just wish that the whole thing wasn't as persisting as it's come to be.

In my case, though, I just wish more little sisters were awesome, like Komachi from SNAFU. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I never said you (using the royal you here) couldn't complain about its inclusion or fetishization, both of which are pretty tasteless, just that there tends to be a line that gets crossed when discussing anime where anything deemed bad or weird or regressive or whatever is somehow an indictment of the Japanese people as a whole - usually by people who don't actually understand how things operate over there. That's without getting into the minefield of values dissonance between cultures and what is or isn't deemed acceptable and why.

You can criticize and complain, but don't make it a "Japanese" thing.

• Locked thread