Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

klapman posted:

if you don't know muv luv and read visual novels like the lovely goon you are, read muv luv

It's also coming to Steam soon, so keep your eyes out.

But you probably already backed this poo poo on Kickstarter and got a hug pillow, didn't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like this show has started on a very good premise and is working with a lot of good parts that I can see moving in interesting directions. The first two episodes of Total Eclipse also did not seem too bad though, so I just hope it stays at this quality.

Bakanogami posted:

In other news, watching the response to the show in Japanese is amusing because of the small but substantial minority who never even knew Germany was split.

Oh jesus, I'd be embarrassed if I were them.

Where do you follow the Japanese response anyway?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

The theme song for this show is called "white forces".

It is snowing a whole lot in this show.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BUTT posted:

So I haven't read ML, but I'm basically aware of the premise (aliens invade, poo poo goes down, also there's time travel/alternate history fuckery and robots). How lost am I gonna be?

I have time to watch anim but reading 3 full VNs is a much taller order at the moment (though I plan to do it at some point)

You probably know everything you need to enjoy this just fine. Just don't try to educate yourself by watching Total Eclipse, that was a total poo poo-show.

Also, the nice thing about the VN's is that they feel like a feature film anime movie, but where you can take breaks whenever you get fatigued.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gyra_Solune posted:

yeah that's probs the direction they're going with her but the first second she just suddenly showed up i was like 'ohhhh there is noooo way she is keeping all of her organs'

because when the hell has the innocent younger sister character, whose tragic fate gives the hero a complex about protecting innocent young girls, reappeared out of nowhere and had a happy and merry time of it all

Naw, she's clearly a traitor.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I honestly have no problems with anything, because they are literally just childhood friends and siblings in but name.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Gyra_Solune posted:

yeah like if they were really close childhood friends it'd be one thing but theodor has clearly an enormous sister complex

man oh man oh man what is this show

It is called Muv Luv after all.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

OnimaruXLR posted:

On the other hand, I'm unable to divorce it from the creepy Japanese imouto fetish that haunts anime like a really stinky ghost

Oh man, if only it was only anime. I think it actually started as a thing in dating sims during the 90's, but for all I know, it could be older than that too. As a fetish, I mean.

It must be pretty loving weird to be siblings in Japan and get this constant cultural perspective that puts you together.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm pretty sure only otaku creepos think that in Japan too

That's kinda naive with how much we see of it as a cultural export from Japan, how prevelant it is, how much product is produced around it and how many of these creepos get publisher deals to produce mangas, animes and games all based around this thing. It's too big to just throw away as "well, only a certain niché in Japan cares". Some people with serious clout must care about this poo poo.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What, time travel?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I dunno, my grandpa seems to enjoy it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All in all, I think we can call this successfully a better representation for Muv-Luv than Total Eclipse. Not perfect, but neither was Muv-Luv.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
That ended like a fart, which is at least a step up from Total Eclipse. Why can't they just make an anime of the original visual novel instead, it had way more pazang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GyroNinja posted:

Most anime adaptations aren't about selling the show itself, but about selling more copies of the original manga/LN/VN. It's hard to pitch an adaptation for something that was released a decade ago (unless its as popular as Fate or JJBA).

It is a pretty good opportunity now with the re-release on Steam coming in. Albeit, it'd make sense to still wait a bit, I suppose.

Luceid posted:

i dunno if you can make lightning strike twice with this series but god bless their hearts for trying

Agreed.

Rangpur posted:

I just wanted something better than the complete disaster of Eclipse. Lo and behold, they did in fact make a show that cleared my very, very low bar. Good for you, production company.

That is how I feel as well. It still isn't good enough for me to go "oh hey, if you wonder if you should read the visual novel, check out this anime first".

• Locked thread