Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The second episode of Total Eclipse still gives me that :stonk: feeling when I remember what happened to that one friend of Yui.

The Alternative VN is still pretty much my favorite part of the whole franchise, though.

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, they've been mauled to the point where most men of fighting age have been killed off and they're throwing everyone up to and including screechy PTSD head-cases onto the front lines just so they have extra guns. Dictatorships' laws are porous at the best of times, designed more to regulate and exploit than ban certain behaviours, and the dire situation the GDR is in here makes it pretty likely that someone would go 'yeah, she's useful, and we can always bring the hammer down on her for displaying that Christian crap if she does something we don't like'.

That's way more thought than the creators of an anime that includes this screenshot have likely put into their setting, but it's still within the realm of plausibility.

Having worked with different types of devout Christians, I can tell you that it's on a case-to-case basis. Also, probably most people aren't looking at the cross. :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

My issue comes from the fact that SHE STILL CALLS HIM ONII CHAN.

It's been a while, but didn't the same thing happened in Total Eclipse with Yui and Yuuya? And Yui still totally had the hots for her 'onii-chan'. Like this seems like a thing that comes with the territory. :suicide:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I think that's a VN only thing. But also Total Eclipse outside of episodes 1 and 2 is just bad and I wouldn't be surprised if it did cause you to have a cerebral aneurysm.

For the most part, yeah. An almost-complete turd. Although I usually found it funny whenever Gin-chan Vincent or someone else in their social circle gave Yuuya poo poo for being an unlikable dullard or to chill out. Also, I found it impossible to not hear Gintoki any time Vincent spoke, which I guess explains why I survived watching the show.

The Total Eclipse VN is slightly better, though. Although nowhere near as :black101: as Alternative.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I know Boss Seafood. Not speaking for anyone else here, but my guess is that some people just wish that the whole thing wasn't as persisting as it's come to be.

In my case, though, I just wish more little sisters were awesome, like Komachi from SNAFU. :3:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

I never said you (using the royal you here) couldn't complain about its inclusion or fetishization, both of which are pretty tasteless, just that there tends to be a line that gets crossed when discussing anime where anything deemed bad or weird or regressive or whatever is somehow an indictment of the Japanese people as a whole - usually by people who don't actually understand how things operate over there. That's without getting into the minefield of values dissonance between cultures and what is or isn't deemed acceptable and why.

You can criticize and complain, but don't make it a "Japanese" thing.

Yeah, my travels to Japan have been kinda eye-opening in that respect, leaving me like "well, okay"

Here's a funny thought: One of my 1st cousins used to HATE Kevin Myers from the American Pie movies, precisely because he felt that "Oh, that jackass worships his older brother. Big loving surprise".

But I digress. Something I find weird about Schwarzesmarken and all other Muv-Luv spin-offs outside of the Main series ("Main series" meaning Takeru, Meiya and co / Extra-Unlimited-Alternative): I'm a sucker for world/universe-building, but how come they consistently cock up the one thing that worked for the Main series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mordaedil posted:

That ended like a fart, which is at least a step up from Total Eclipse. Why can't they just make an anime of the original visual novel instead, it had way more pazang.

A generic slice-of-life / harem anime tacked on at the beginning of a PTSD-tastic tale of despair, misery, cute anime ladies, aliens and mechas seems like a recipe for whiplash... and I'm okay with that.

• Locked thread