Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any book recommendations on the actual history of real not-anime East Germany? It occurs to me I'm not nearly as well read on the subject as I'd like to be.

I do kind of expect that Muv Luv GDR would turn out an entirely different beast than the real world one. WWII ended differently somehow, with Germany getting nuked, didn't it? Couple that with their Soviet ally being torn to shreds and the threat of imminent BETA annihilation and I really doubt that they'd have the leeway to be particular about ideology. If anything they'd have a strong incentive to make up with the west, both due to a common enemy and the practical need to secure an evacuation route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ArchangeI posted:

Yeah but the worldbuilding exposition bit at the start said that the Stasi went full-on Stalinist purges (which I can absolutely see them doing, those guys were the hardest of the hardcore).

Paracelsus posted:

Or they could double down because doing otherwise would mean admitting that they were wrong about all of the terrible things they'd done. Stressful situations leading to internal conflict and purges is a very human response.

I guess it could be. It's just that most Muv Luv media we're used to everyone being so drained of human resources they're drafting pre-teens. I guess that's the difference here, it's only been 10 years since the Kashgar landing.

In other news, watching the response to the show in Japanese is amusing because of the small but substantial minority who never even knew Germany was split.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

I feel like this show has started on a very good premise and is working with a lot of good parts that I can see moving in interesting directions. The first two episodes of Total Eclipse also did not seem too bad though, so I just hope it stays at this quality.

Oh jesus, I'd be embarrassed if I were them.

Where do you follow the Japanese response anyway?

A couple lovely anime blogs, comments on the niconico stream, and sometimes a small section of reddit some Japanese users moved to from 2ch.

I've heard that the novels this is based on are very good, but some people actually like Total Eclipse, so you never really know.

From episode 1, it seems to be following a much more accurate portrayal of Muv Luv's combat, with not much flying around, lasers never missing and taking 2-3 seconds to burn through armor, etc. That gives me a lot of hope on that end, at least. Total eclipse was 90% aerial dogfight training and was just all around sloppily made.

• Locked thread