Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

Just about the only believable aspect of this setting is how all the countries are just barely willing to cooperate to avoid complete human extinction. They would all much rather get into pissing matches than try to accomplish much of anything.

If only the other countries would act like mature adults, like the imperial house of Japan!

Even though I enjoyed Muv-Luv, it is pretty hilariously nationalistic/right-wing (the main games, I know some other Muv-Luv media apparently aren't as bad about this). I like how the shogun and her family are just super honorable and presented as being basically morally perfect*, while the true impediment to Japan is the corrupt, civilian-elected government. Even the uber-patriotic perpetrators of the coup d'etat are basically portrayed as being correct but using the wrong methods to achieve their goals. I have no problems with portraying the US as being morally questionable and acting in its own self-interest, since that's pretty realistic, but it becomes dumb when you do that while simultaneously having another country/leader be a paragon of moral virtue. At least they laid off of the dumb nationalism after the coup d'etat arc.

* no exaggeration, I think the shogun is portrayed as being literally perfect in every way, while Meiya's only imperfection is the fact that she is too selfless or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Speaking of Total Eclipse and this, even if the stories/characters are dumb do they at least have cool combat between the mechs and the BETA (or between mechs I guess)?

klapman posted:

like you can talk poo poo about its glacial pacing, and you'd be right to, but hell if it doesn't get you to be invested in watching people play cats cradle of all things

the fact that it has the audacity to include a subplot about someone playing a game for too long is just icing on the cake

I actually enjoyed the pre-"poo poo begins to go down" parts the most in Unlimited and Alternative, which is apparently an uncommon opinion. While the dramatic/action-packed parts are done pretty well (particularly the way they managed to simulate action using still images), I found them kind of predictable.

One thing I did like in Alternative is how Takeru is acting like billy badass because he comes from the future and has Seen poo poo, but then you end up finding out that all he did was stand guard and had never been in a real battle (other than the - presumably first - one that killed him that he can't even remember), so he flips out after encountering his first real battle.

• Locked thread