Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Citizen Tayne posted:

I have ~2850 MS DOS games here and they come out to about 8.7g all said.

yeah I've got ~150mb of atari 8-bit apps such as mac 65 and visicalc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmx84SkG0O4

Slow-Scan Shep
Jul 11, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

rf is the most shameful video connection method, always replace it asap

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Digital cable boxes should have used clearqam output on rf so olds wouldnt be confused by a new connector

But ~*~MY DIGITAL RIGHTS MANAGEMENT~*~

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

craisins posted:

not exactly related, but my alma mater (UAlbany) has/had their own exchange 518-442-xxxx, and own zip code 12222

it was p cool

I got mail addressed to:
<name>
<quad name>
Albany, NY 12222

and the mail room found it and routed it to my mailbox. it was awesome

that's not even the best zip in albany (GE's 12345)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i am shamefully bumping my own post because nobody acknowledged the 1990s radness in this video

it is a rap/r&b combination celebrating HP UNIX workstations

i wonder what happened to the poor bastard in the zoot suit

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

same thing that happened to every other poor bastard in a zoot suit in the 90s

nothing

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

i figure others here may appreciate this

man everything to do with lisp machines is just so loving weird

apparently the dod is still paying to support symbolics stuff. i can only begin to imagine what for

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am shamefully bumping my own post because nobody acknowledged the 1990s radness in this video

i cut my teeth on hp-ux in the early 1990s at school so that was a good video and thank you for posting it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

SO DEMANDING posted:

man everything to do with lisp machines is just so loving weird

apparently the dod is still paying to support symbolics stuff. i can only begin to imagine what for

they probably have some piece of software they rely on that's extremely hard to port to any other environment

a port of a complex system that includes UI would probably have to go via a bunch of iterations:

ZetaLisp on Genera
→ ZetaLisp on OpenGenera
→ Common Lisp on OpenGenera with UI in Dynamic Windows
→ Common Lisp on OpenGenera with UI in CLIM
→ Common Lisp on UNIX with UI in CLIM

and involve significant manual changes at every stage

I hope the CL-HTTP dude who bought the Symbolics IP at probate actually does the work to open source what he can, or even just manages to issue a free "hobbyist license" instead of trying to milk the few people still interested for $3000 per seat

all Symbolics' patents are expired at this point, and their trade secrets (compiler technology, interface technology, microarchitecture, etc.) are so outdated as to be worthless, the only non-historical value is in maintenance contracts for those couple DoD sites

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I hope the CL-HTTP dude who bought the Symbolics IP at probate actually does the work to open source what he can, or even just manages to issue a free "hobbyist license" instead of trying to milk the few people still interested for $3000 per seat

didn't this guy die

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

didn't this guy die

no, John C. Mallery (CL-HTTP) is rumored to have bought the Symbolics IP at probate when Andrew Topping, the scammer who claimed to own it, died

except supposedly Andrew Topping might not really have acquired it, or acquired it properly, or something so it's potentially in some sort of weird legal limbo

someone needs to buy the Lisp Machine, Inc. assets from the Canadian government, they were seized (after being reincarnated as GigaMos Systems) as a result of the Guy Montpetit scandal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

no, John C. Mallery (CL-HTTP) is rumored to have bought the Symbolics IP at probate when Andrew Topping, the scammer who claimed to own it, died

yeah, i thought Mallery was also dead

but i can't find an obit. so maybe not

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this commercial is ownage as hell

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

eschaton posted:

except supposedly Andrew Topping might not really have acquired it, or acquired it properly, or something so it's potentially in some sort of weird legal limbo

someone needs to buy the Lisp Machine, Inc. assets from the Canadian government, they were seized (after being reincarnated as GigaMos Systems) as a result of the Guy Montpetit scandal

this is seriously at least half of what makes lisp machine stuff so weird, the incredibly hosed up state of all the bits of IP from various companies involved

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

SO DEMANDING posted:

this is seriously at least half of what makes lisp machine stuff so weird, the incredibly hosed up state of all the bits of IP from various companies involved

at it's peak, the lisp machine market was a few thousand units a year, and 99% of them sold to government institutions.

there were a grand total of four hardware vendors (xerox, TI, symbolics, lmi). the biggest lisp business unit was still smaller than a modestly successful internet startup.

it didn't take very much to make it all scatter to the wind

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
why was the govt so interested in them

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

A Pinball Wizard posted:

why was the govt so interested in them

in the 1980s govt research labs had serious money to spend on anything they fuckin wanted

ai research was briefly the new cool thing, and lispMs were tightly associated with ai research. it was the "big data" of the 1980s. it didn't matter what your problem was, somehow "ai research" was gonna fix it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

eschaton posted:

they probably have some piece of software they rely on that's extremely hard to port to any other environment

a port of a complex system that includes UI would probably have to go via a bunch of iterations:

ZetaLisp on Genera
→ ZetaLisp on OpenGenera
→ Common Lisp on OpenGenera with UI in Dynamic Windows
→ Common Lisp on OpenGenera with UI in CLIM
→ Common Lisp on UNIX with UI in CLIM

and involve significant manual changes at every stage

all Symbolics' patents are expired at this point, and their trade secrets (compiler technology, interface technology, microarchitecture, etc.) are so outdated as to be worthless, the only non-historical value is in maintenance contracts for those couple DoD sites

remember how LISP was the AI language, and how the AI field died down and LISP machines died with it?

that was actually the DoD suppressing the technology and keeping it for themselves after the researchers invented the other kind of AI

all wars are run by a self-aware generalist expert system. that's how the US hasn't lost any wars since 1989

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in the 1980s govt research labs had serious money to spend on anything they fuckin wanted

ai research was briefly the new cool thing, and lispMs were tightly associated with ai research. it was the "big data" of the 1980s. it didn't matter what your problem was, somehow "ai research" was gonna fix it

in more seriousness this is a good read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expert_system

and this is a better one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AI_winter

yellow borders
Jan 7, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ycx9hFGHog

:razz: IT'S THE SAME DATA :iamafag:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

found someone on Craigslist who has a trs-80 model 102 for sale. let's see if I can get it for a reasonable price, or if she goes on ebay, sees the dreamers asking $300, and gets stupid.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

found someone on Craigslist who has a trs-80 model 102 for sale. let's see if I can get it for a reasonable price, or if she goes on ebay, sees the dreamers asking $300, and gets stupid.

lmao why would you buy a TRS-80, they're the discarded used condoms of the computing world

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Citizen Tayne posted:

lmao why would you buy a TRS-80, they're the discarded used condoms of the computing world

owns

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

32k :eyepop:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's bad.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
trs-80 lol

more like trash-80 amirite???

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

apple ii lol

more like crapple ii amirite???

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

commodore 64 lol

more like commiedore 64 amirite???

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i think "commode door" was what you wanted

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Dunnydoor 64

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I think commode 64 works fine

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Don't disparge the old computers, please, Tori

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think commode 64 works fine

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

now this is some funy computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewz4RAzQTOk&hd=1

those aren't RAM modules, they're DC->DC converters

Ren and Stimpire