Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

has everyone read racing the beam

not yet I really need to

my old computers I have are a V-Tech Pre-Computer 1000 and 2000 which are toys but are little z80 boxes that can be programmed in Basic that I've had since I was a wee tot

I also have a TI-99/4a in storage I should go get; I have a huge pile of cartridges for it and one of those recently-built serial/floppy emulator/ram addition things that I really haven't yet played with. o should eBay the terminal emulator cartridge and post via Lynx or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Prenton posted:

Usbourne have scanned in a load of their 1980s books so you can learn how to old computer

nice! I spent so much time typing programs from these into my Pre-Computer 1000's little 1x20 display

e: seriously thanks for this, I just amazon'd Practical Things to Do With A Microcomputer after looking at the PDF and realizing it was the book I had read a hundred times.

my partner has been trying to figure out how to actually introduce kids to computers, I figured I'd show him what I got started on. definitely time to dig out the TI-99/4A and he can get frustrated by weird BASIC dialect incompatibilities like we all did when we were kids

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 8, 2016

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I amazon'd the manual to the Pre-Computer 1000 since mine vanished long, long ago (even back when I hacked bad basic into it on a regular basis)

I remembered this quote vividly

computers without writeable storage need to come back as learning tools

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

a real non-trolling reason is that that appears to not be a SE FDHD (pronounced fudd-hudd) which means it will only accept 800k double-sided floppies

if you get one that takes HD floppies you can read/write them in a "modern" computer, and if you install the appropriate extension you can even read/write FAT16 disks

e: the usual indicator of that is that there will be a FDHD or SuperDrive stamp near the floppy drive. there's nothing that prevented a previous owner of that Mac from installing an upgraded drive, though.

minivanmegafun fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 12, 2016

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

trilljester posted:

You should get it and immediately install The Grouch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE7EWDKVM1Y yesss

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

A Pinball Wizard posted:

programmers switch

no that's a reset button.

the SE didn't support that button there anyhow iirc, the classic macs all had a button on the side with a reset button and programmer's switch instead

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the ti-99/4a's video output is dead simple. hack off the Video Modulator and solder on a pair of RCA connectors and you'll get composite video and mono audio in no time.

https://www.99er.net/TIvideoadapter.htm

e: post teddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the 2600 is kind of an interesting case because it puked RF output instead of composite

• Locked thread