Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

That level he cloned the star in is basically the only one you can do it because it's the only place where there is a loading zone you can carry objects through. Since you can only clone an object as it loads, most stars in the game aren't cloneable because they are always loaded or only load when you complete the objective that spawns them.

oh wow, ty for the breakdown i didnt know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

pannenkoek is one of the most win people alive and he should do more commentated videos

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

his ability to visualize complex concepts is really impressive. i wish i could make presentations like that.

hes made custom software specifically for ripping mario 64 apart and seeing all the changing variables

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Thinking about how revolutionary it was for the developers to come up with all this stuff

it's super insane

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

with the limited hardware and knowledge at the time its probably all kludgey stuff to present things to the player as efficiently as possible, ocarina of time was another game built on the 'same engine' as mario 64 and speedrunners have discovered countless sloppy-n-fast design choices that would never be found by someone just playing the game normally.

its really cool poo poo to read about and watch, modern engines like UE4 are thousands of times more complicated and watching videos on how exactly you program dynamic lighting for smoke and particle effects is totally crazy as well

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i do wonder if the same tricks are being used today (everything being made out of triangles to communicate positional data) and its just all been smoothed out and looks more convincing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

itd be neat to see pannen break down a more modern mario game but i wanna see how deep the 64 hole goes

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

jumped and said 'WHAT" at :26

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

theres something really satisfying about seeing this guys more recent videos where he's finding more A press efficient ways to grab specific stars, seeing all the tricks he's explained in excruciating detail in past vids (item cloning, PU speed etc.) all combined seamlessly. very powerful

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

American McGay posted:

Randomly thought about this YTD today and figured it was lost to the sands of time but I was surprisingly able to find it with a pretty simple google search. Still one of the greatest things ever.

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/58a3405f936cc-gently caress-you-i-wont-do-what-you-tell-me.php

lmfao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

wormskull clip where hes running around as mario and going "wooahh...his rear end his huge! daaamn!"