Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This guy has some real Mario devotion and good for him. While I was drowning in the poison water stream of Mario Sunshine repeatedly, he was zooming across the universe to land on chekhov's scuttlebug, and who am I to criticize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Why the gently caress has no institution of higher learning awarded this man a doctorate for his work in unraveling the secrets of Super Mario 64.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

rediscover posted:

I wish there was more of them where he talked. I'm pretty sure theres only like 3

Yeah, he's easily one of the easiest to listen to, most self-aware commentators for this kind of thing. The little bit of smugness he has is like "Well, he earned it."

The way he explains the 1/2 A press Hazy Maze Cave video with a bunch of "BUT WAIT..." building up the complication until he gets to Chekhov's scuttlebug owns.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh Don Piano posted:

Nice, normal person: Hey this new game is pretty good.
Twisted loving Autist: What would happen if I held run against this wall for three hundred years

Actually, bless this guy for doing these things, so that we don't have to, but we still know how many hours (five and one half, approx.) we have to wait for the indices to cycle.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ahahahahahaha

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Enlighten me, please

*raises hand* Misses Peach, cheetah is trying to copy my Mario homework again!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If he accomplishes it, it will be the greatest achievement since a perfect score in Pac Man was achieved, and will only be eclipsed when someone manages to compile a full set of gifs for every way that Pac Man can die in Pac Man 2: the New Adventures.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wife was watching a mario 64 speedrun and someone ran by a scuttlebug and I thought of pannenkoek and called the scuttlebug "The Aristocrats."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

net cafe scandal posted:

Super Mario ODyssey is going to be like Super Mario 64 but at least 10 times more complex, and not even Pannenkoek will be able to grasp its full depth of design.

One day he is going to try, and Mario will throw his hat right out of the screen and possess Pannenkoek, so that Mario can use his powers to stop Bowser once and for all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

extremebuff posted:

itd be neat to see pannen break down a more modern mario game but i wanna see how deep the 64 hole goes

Imagine somebody doing this with a Bethesda game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Color Printer posted:

Apparently Ocarina of Time was made on a heavily modified Mario 64 engine. I'd love to know in what ways they're still similar but I doubt he would ever look into that

The parallel universes thing definitely exists within Legend of Zelda. I might be wrong, but I think it's part of how speed runners can do that trick where they take child Link from the Deku Tree straight into Ganon's Tower.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The logical guess would be this: child Link would be unable to access Ganon's Tower, as the vertical and horizontal surfaces of that building will not exist for another seven years. However, that guess is incorrect. When it comes to parallel universes, time works the same way.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ArfJason posted:

sorry for being a computer yospos human being but, from what i understood from pannenkoeks videos, if the collision detection position variables are stored in shorter sized integers, while the actual model's position is stored on a larger integer, then the collision one will loop/wrap around, allowing you to still collide with the original world while existing in the void. If this is the case for oot then yes, there are parallel universes in oot

i think there are mostly because it's built of the mario 64 engine, but that it matters a lot less in oot because you do a lot less jumping. speedrunners have definitely cracked the game wide open, but maybe nobody has quite done the pannenkoek treatment, because the wrongwarp i mentioned earlier eliminates the need for any percent runners and it probably wouldn't cut much time off a 100 percent run.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BBJoey posted:

this is cool, thank you for explaining. is there a pannenkoek equivalent for zelda tricks like this?

speedrunners for OoT and MM are usually pretty good at explaining what exploits they're using if you just look a few up on twitch, but nobody really does what pannenkoek does where you try to beat the game without pressing buttons. even in 100 percent runs, it tends to be more about sequence breaking than figuring out how the actual surface link is standing on is built.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

qkkl posted:

Sunshine 0x A presses aren't that impressive considering there's a nozzle attachment that lets you jump.

They do take the nozzle away for at least one shine per level.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ahahaha

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Knew it was going to be this as soon as I'd seen that the thread updated

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bullshit that our resident Mariologist is listed last.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

He posted 8 more videos today

when he dies, it's going to be decades before people actually understand what he was doing, even with the aid of his videos.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

the videos will continue to release

[E / N] Just bought a used laptop and suddenly can't stop thinking about Scuttlebugs? please help

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They'll get to negative -9999 A button presses. I can feel it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

going to write a heartfelt biopic called Schrodinger's Scuttlebug starring Timothy Simons, with a dark scene in which he tearfully smashes one fo those clear N64 controllers yelling "Why dont they understand what a half button rpess is! it's like I'm living in some Parallel Univer... Wait.... Eureka! Letsa go!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/PannenNoContext/status/1013648691939500032

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

that twitter account is good

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nintendology PhD student walking into a committee meeting to present his dissertation on ways to get the inaccessible coin begins sweating when he sees the committee members are watching a new pannen video

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

sector_corrector posted:

not panenkoek or mario 64, but check out this detailed guide to a dude figuring out how to run ROMs in the GC animal farm NES furniture, and how that could be used to run arbitrary code on a GC:

https://jamchamb.github.io/2018/07/11/animal-crossing-nes-emulator-hacks.html

quote:

It turns out that this generic console item actually attempts to scan the memory card for specially constructed files that contain NES ROM images! The NES emulator used to play the built-in games is apparently a complete, generic NES emulator for the GameCube, and it’s capable of playing most games thrown at it.

holy poo poo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In Training posted:

I like that the initial run through was 211 a presses which seems like somebody just focusing on not jumping that much.

Makes me wonder how many presses I have in my average run of Mario 64. Must be in the thousands.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

elf help book posted:

myself, i enjoy jumping, but respect those who avoid it, just how i am

same here, i gotta hear that resounding "yahoooooooo!!," but you gotta give it to those who eschew it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

I'm sorry but we cannot rule out the possibility of a negative A press. There's still work to be done.

people laugh at this, but i bet they would have laughed at the idea of a half-press as well.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

was about to comment on the same part, lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

after pannen dies, people will study and train on mario 64 for decades and decades trying to find something he hadn't already discovered in vain. it will come to be considered an exercise in futility, that he knew every last corner and glitch, across all forms and emulations, that's it, so long gay bowser. one day some hot shot, someone who's been living since the old days, will find it, the one shaved A button press that the Master missed, the one secret coin that was never found... but he'll keep it to himself and take the secret to his grave. on his death bed, next to a portrait of a shuttlebug, he'll chuckle as he watches one of the videos, say "thank you so much-a for-to playing my game," and that will be the final end, the last accomplishment, of TJ "henry" yoshi.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mycophobia posted:

this it looks like

drat, there's so much I didn't notice in Mario 64

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

got really scared at the end he was going to drop off the plank there

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

dirby posted:

As "Daro" on Bismuth's Discord said:

oh for sure.

:confused:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wonder what they're saying about this on ol' big ears's discord

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

Didn't one of the completely normal and cool Yazuka guys end up posting like 3 paragraphs about how they were gonna kill themselves if they didn't get to be a mod and how being a mod on this website was the only bright spot in their miserable life?

sadly, we may never know, due to the fact that imp zone posters destroyed the epic PYF sagas thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay posted:

It wasn't an IZ poster (thankfully). I got noted good Yakuza thread poster IGgy IGsen confused with this guy for some reason. Apologies IGgy IGsen!

to be fair, this was in service to the unquestionable noble and normal cause of trying to save the vtuber thread.