Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

program666 posted:

only 25 seconds in the op video there is a perfect good explanation to what is a half-press, and I agree with his notation

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lmao. This guy fuckin rules. "After all. I'm going to build up speed for 12 hours, but first, we need to talk about parallel universes"

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Evil Eagle posted:

I think the insane zelda 64 runners are epic in their own right. The way they use the exact spacing of link's moves to set up tricks is badass to me. ZeldaFreakGlitcha is the man and I watched his 100% world record over the past few days.

I agree, I do like how detailed the Mario guy is though, it seems like some TSA or speedrunning stuff is just really hard to find info on or almost entirely glossed over by some shrieking guy on twitch.

While some Zelda 64 glitches require a lotta work, the simple ones that are great are infinite sword glitch, and how no target shield low stab doesn't have it's own damage value, but uses the last damage value of the last weapon. Jumping deku stick attacks are like, biggoron sword hits and the shield stab comes out lightning fast

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

ArfJason posted:

after waking up i remembered about tj "henry" yoshi's attempts at spreading misinformation and savagely punched my pillow

Lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the rec on zeldaglitchfreaka, he actually has videos where he explains or talks about speed running and breaking ocarina over his knee.

Also Mario man taught me how binary notation works in his 255 coin video. God drat.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
He also puts the ocarina on right c as God intended

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
the thing that rules about this guy is he's so good at explaining the bonkers poo poo he understands in the engine. Like, it doesn't come off like the rambling of a psychopath, but like a great teacher.

That PU rotational displacement thing is loving insane. As soon as he was like, "the pivot point is the real ship" :eyepop:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Ocarina and majoras use the same engine as Mario 64 right?

One of the things that this dudes videos also show off is how bonkers game development transitioning from 2D and sprite work to 3D with physics was in the late/ mid 90s. The fact that any of these companies are still making games after surviving that transition is awesome

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Some cool early dev shots of ocarina here

http://www.zeldaelements.net/games/c/ocarina_of_time/development_history

This is what almost ended up being the temple of time

:eyepop:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Watching a tool assisted demonstration of beating ocarina in three pause menus.

They mentioned half a pause in the docs

Comments delivered

Zfg is a co commentator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01J-0suWISk

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I'm convinced that twin rova respawning invisible if you wait the the boss room for eight minutes has something to do with PUs

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
So he loving made his own item loading viewers
:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I liked it but mostly cause I thought it was real because I'd KILL for a Zelda guy that was equal to his Mario guy

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Did he purposely lose the last one? I couldn't tell.

Now I wanna see him actually soundly destroy all the challenges.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yes I'm aware, that was very obvious. I meant was there something else to it that I missed, cause the crawling to water for 8 min was clear on intent, or the five bomb salute

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Soral posted:

that was the only real speedrun entry he made. i looked it up he came in second place for it

Thanks! I prob should have just looked it up. It looked like a real attempt. That's cool.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

that ivy guy posted:

sadly he's still reeling over how memed-on he got from Watch for Rolling Rocks 0×. the internet is loving brutal

Which is bullshit cause he's surprisingly easy to follow and great at explaining these mechanics to the naive which seems like a baffling trait to have with a man whose mind is a steel trap

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

The parallel universes thing definitely exists within Legend of Zelda. I might be wrong, but I think it's part of how speed runners can do that trick where they take child Link from the Deku Tree straight into Ganon's Tower.

I believe evidence of this is in the 3 pause run of ocarina in the spirit temple boss room

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
For those interested

2 hours 31 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01J-0suWISk

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

loving glorious

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Kongming posted:

Now he's getting stars without pressing any buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPDQnUDTWu0

jfc lol

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
it’s beautiful

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

b_d posted:

lmao. I love pannenkoek

ziasquinn