Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

muscles like this? posted:

The technology gulf was only because the Mountain Men held them back. Now that they're gone they can actually start advancing again.

Yeah, you could miss it because it was like a ten second scene but the Grounders explained that every time one of them got their hands on a say, a gun, the reprisal from the Mountain Men was huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Basically every single character in the show has lost someone close to them, family a friend a loved one etc. And they're getting along fine. Jasper knew Maya for 3 weeks. Pull yourself together you freak.

To be fair she did melt into irradiated goo in front of his eyes

Great start for the season. Clarke is basically Conan the Barbarian now

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Iron Rose posted:

Good God I love this show.

gently caress Clexa though I'm shipping ClarkexTrader Girl.

Trader girl is just a random lay. Every self-respecting Barbarian hero has a ice queen lusting for them, only to stand apart because of her position/their need to murder standing in the way of their tragic love.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Troposphere posted:

drat there's so much death in this show I love it

The 100 is firing on all cylinders and getting better and better by every episode. I loving love it, it's Continuum all over again. Finally humanity has discovered how to make good sci-fi without meandering around on unplanned weightless plots and character death fakeouts that never lead up nowhere (Looking it at you Lost and BSG).

Kane continues to be the best person in the show in so many ways.

Bellamy should just take Pike in the back and shoot him in the head, he's going to gently caress something up at some point. Clarke is going to end up slitting his throat or genociding the living half of the Farm Station sooner or later, so its no loss.

Troposphere posted:

of course bellamys gf existed only to die

Everyone except like a dozen people do

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 5, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Rocksicles posted:

3 eps in and we are what... 50 dead? i loving love this show.

Official The 100 Season 3 Kill Count

1! 1/2!

1 + 1/2!

2 + 1/2!

3!

A motherfucking panther!

Psyke!

5!

6!

7!

8!

9!

10!

11!

12!

13!

14!

50! (13 people + 1 panther + 36) CLARKIN' SPREEEEE

VagueRant posted:

OH! Most hosed up part of the episode. There are some totally reasonable grounder guards who are technically on the protagonists' side but they have to be MURDERED because they're in the way? It makes sense for Pike, but for Bellamy to condone/do it?

Could've just come out and been like "yo, we got info for your boss".

He thought it was a grounder-wide conspiracy with Lexa on it.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

hope and vaseline posted:

His character progression really has been my favorite so far, just how he got to where he is as such an empathic and capable leader from all the poo poo he started off with, that I'm just dreading the catch 22 they'll eventually have to face him with because no one on this show is safe from making decisions where there's no easy out.

I love it. All his life he has been operating on "We must sacrifice these people so ALL of us can survive." and it made complete sense because he was right based on their knowledge at the time. But all that is because he just believes in survival of humanity above all else. Then he lands down on the ground, gets that humanity is a much bigger thing, and just extends that same protection to everyone. His character never does a turn, nobody talks to him and turns him to the right side - the circumstances make it so that he has the opportunity to do positive things to further humanity's survival.

And while that is going on, the viewer realizes that he was never a bad guy. In fact I don't think there is a character more willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good in the show.

He was always empathetic and capable, it's just that in the Ark empathy means death and capable means calculating the odds to survive.

(In comparison Mount Weather has no excuse. Monty was right, they should have committed suicide. :shrug:)

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 5, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

What about the two dudes in the car with their necks slit?

Oh yeah, you're right! I guess it's 51 (and one panther)

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

ya it feels oddly racist too. she stops liking lincoln because he's giving up his grounder ways to live with "them"

These are people who would have executed her for being born and executed her mother for her being born. It's been only like half a year in the show - she's known Lincoln about as long as she's known everyone except Bellamy. I don't blame her :shrug:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Noctone posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get a global perspective at some point. I gotta imagine there have to be plenty of places around the world that weren't completely destroyed and also maybe not everyone reverted back to tribal asshattery.

In an human exchange, sure, but I figure the evil computer program was pretty thorough. And even if not, after the initial nuclear exchange there is the radiation, changes in climate, illnesses without modern healthcare, post-nuke conflicts for power.

But tribal or not Polis is seemingly a pretty solid piece of civilization. I wouldn't call it completely destroyed even if things have regressed. And hey, they aren't racist/sexist! They do hate people who are born in space or inside mountains though but I wouldn't really call that racism.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Agree that they should have given Pike more time to develop but then again he is pretty much slated for death.

The Polis stuff was great though.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Snak posted:

I mean, it does make sense that if you were trying to save the human race with a small population of survivors, that language barriers would result in inefficiencies that you would want to get rid of as early as possible.

It wouldn't be surprising if the first culls of non-english speaking people because they couldn't contribute as much.

Thirteenth Station had a really big hard-on for Esperanto

EDIT: The last survivor made it to Earth but blew his brains out upon hearing Grounder language

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DarklyDreaming posted:

Better yet, they are "aware" of the goings on in the east but only in a sense that if they drive their jeeps past a certain point they get hit by cruise missiles and marked the whole area as No Man's Land. At some point they realize it's not happening anymore and make contact just in time for season 4 :v:

"Hi, uh...wow. Hello there. Is that...is that a...nevermind, anyway I have kind of a complaint about the noise? I mean I've had some wild parties myself and all, hehe, but we recently had our first baby and...well, all the tortured screaming has really been keeping the little guy awake, you know? And us too? There...there really is a lot of screaming. And bones keep washing on our beach. But nobody wants to involve the cops or anything, am I right? Just keep it a bit down on nighttime and we're all good!"

"Jus drein jus daun!"

"Is that German? My great-grandmother was German!"

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 25, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Xoidanor posted:

BSG was good for like all of half of the first season until you realized that the writers had no loving idea how to actually drive the premise anywhere meaningful.

Most of Season 2 and early season 3 were enjoyable TV

the ending was rat poo poo

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Troposphere posted:

just because something doesn't matter to you doesn't mean it doesn't matter to a whole lot of people, people who made up probably the majority of the fiercely loyal fanbase of the show, and are probably going to quit watching now.

Uhh they kissed in the second-to-last episode of the second season, I would imagine most people were fans long before then. Pretty sure in a post apocalyptic show about murder teens from outer space fighting blood tribes, cannibals and mountain vampires, romance forms about the #67th reason to watch it. The vast, vast majority will not quit watching a show they've invested considerable time in in if a character dies, especially in a show as infamous about murdering characters left and right.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 7, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
The Pike stuff honestly sucks and Lexa's actress leaving sucks, but the City of Light plot, which I first thought would be the bad one, is more then making up for it. I like the new mythos.

Also holy gently caress the Ark were just total dicks from second one, huh

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FiestaNinja posted:

Yeah Pike is stuck in the "humanity (us) must do whatever is necessary to survive" way of acting whereas Kane has realised that since there seems to be thousands of humans left, being so exceptionalist doesn't make much sense.

I just think it's basic tribalism. Every single authority figure in this show always goes on about "their people" and is willing to do horrible things to other people in order to keep them alive. Pike isn't really that much different then Mount Weather or really any grounder leader except Lexa. I mean the show is basically how the world was for most of human civilization (albeit with less people). :shrug:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VagueRant posted:

Holy poo poo, that was actually Lindsey Morgan (Raven) doing the voice when she was possessed by ALIE? I totally assumed they dubbed it and she just nailed the physical mannerisms.

Dubbed, but the acting was still awesome

CODChimera posted:

It really was perfect. I had kinda forgotten just how split up they'd become so seeing their arcs crash together like that was amusing.

Not sure what the general consensus is but I'm enjoying this season a lot.

Me too, its still better then the vast majority of stuff on TV. I keep being surprised & entertained.

Murphy is the best. See Clarke, this is the sort of poo poo a proper barbarian hero would be doing right now. I also think Ontari is great, a psycho killer in a society of psycho killers would act exactly like she is acting.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

steinrokkan posted:

How much more spinal surgery will Raven go through in this goddamn show

Or how much bullshit in general

Heart condition
Fell from the sky
Got shot by Murphy
Wide-awake surgery
Got the whole death by thousand cuts started on her
Drilled by the Mountain Men
Debilitating leg pain
Mentally tortured by an AI
Taken over by AI
Wrists slit
Broke arm
The most recent spinal surgery

:stare:

Raven is hardcore.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 16, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Everyone in this show is retarded sexy, except Murphy (not that he doesn't get to hit it left and right either). They must have murdered all the non-supermodels on the ground and prevented anyone not-hot from getting into space.

Ironically enough the actor was also the only non retarded-sexy character on Continuum and was also cast as a surly dick who was evil at one point but got better (but also got evil again, sort of).

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 19, 2016

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

On other hand, pike deserved it.

Yeah, I had a problem with her trying to kill him in a life-or-death situation but once it's over yeah waste that fucker

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Spergatory posted:

Oh, I agree that no amount of post-facto justification will make what happened this season good. This is just the seasoning that allows me to swallow the lovely dish I've been served. I watched Glee for five of the six years it cursed the airwaves. When it comes to mental gymnastics justifying baffling character choices, I'm loving Olympic level. :shepface:

As someone who has probably watched at least the few first episodes of everything remotely related to the word "sci-fi" on TV made since 2000, my tolerance for "OK this is total bullfuckingshit" is high too indeed. And season 3 was still better then a good 90% of TV sci-fi I've seen so I'm happy enough.

On individual stuff though Bellamy was still in top 10 worst character treatments I've ever seen

INH5 posted:

But the real standout is Lindsey Morgan. She faced enormous challenges as an actress this season. She effectively had to play 3 different characters: normal Raven, chipped Raven, and ALIE directly controlling Raven's body. Lindsey did a phenomenal job with each of these roles and knocked all of her scenes out of the park. She deserves to end up with an Emmy someday.

Also agree with this

EDIT: Also agree with the whole post really

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Acacia REI posted:

Nah, stuff like that won't turn me off to a series. I like The Walking Dead and that show's chocked full of stupid poo poo. If I like the overall concept of a show enough and it doesn't bore me I'll stick with it. :downs:

But I'll still laugh at things like acid fog that only burns flesh and armband devices that are less functional than 20th century ankle monitors.

They spent the last century in a giant haphazardly constructed creaking space station so it's not like they don't have better uses for high tech then monitors for bunch of juvenile criminals sent to a suicide mission...

• Locked thread