Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

To be fair Jasper would also be dealing with that whole 'I brutally murdered people with an axe' thing on top of Maya/Mt Weather. Even if he was doing it to save his people that's some poo poo, man. That is some poo poo.

e: He's like a reverse Finn. Instead of turning into an unhinged spaz for kind of super flimsy reasons and then going on a murdering spree, Jasper is being an unhinged spaz after dealing with going on a murder spree. Impovement imo.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I have a weird vibe about what really happened to Monty's dad, though. When Pike cut in to finish the story and his mum went silent it got me wondering how true all of it was.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

that's where I thought they were going with it when they mentioned the snow. like they ran out of food and had to cannibalize people

Slowly starving and freezing while being picked off by ice nation would be the shits.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

There's no way that Abby receives a single vote for chancellor.

A single vote.

From Kane.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hope and vaseline posted:

Severe lack of Murphy this episode :(

Which means a lack of Jaha, which makes a better episode imo. I was all aboard the Murphy train until it turned into a road trip with the only character on the show I haven't been able to like.

I am interested in the weird SOMA-esque plot with the AI and wherever it will end up leading, at least.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

I didn't say Octavia wanting to be a Grounder (or more specifically, not an Arker) didn't make sense, it's the time frame that makes it funny.

She actually did become a badass basically overnight. All her dialogue this season so far is as if she grew up with them when the show's time frame means she could only have been with them for like 2 weeks.

Months passed between 2 and 3 alone iirc. I honestly think it's likely been coming up on close o a year now since the 100 landed, unless there's some official timeline somewhere and I am way off.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It feels like they're in a place where they could slow down and take their time with things, but instead they're just rushing through at the same clip as seasons one and two so the added characters and conflicts that didn't carry over from S2 feel out of place and rushed as gently caress.

Like if they had spent a couple more episodes on the Pike stuff or let us get to know Bellamy's GF more (or switched her out for a minor character from seasons past so we have a small connection already) this would all be well and good. Pike makes sense he's just moved so fast, and Bellamy makes sense but it seems flimsy because of how much is focused on that GF dying rather than the parts of him that make his decision work.

Almost feels like they're speeding past this stuff to leave more room for the City of Light story, or hurrying to split the arkers into two factions or whatever so they can get on to that bit already.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

ohnoes... Lincoln AKA Ricky Wittle has been cast in American Gods.

Unfortunately for American Gods. Or maybe he'll actually be compelling in that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

no!! that's another brunette

well technically Regina is Emma's ex step grandmother who also shares a son with her but literally everyone on that show is related in some way or another once upon a time is dumb as hell

The Charming family tree is the one of the best best/most hilarious parts of that show, at least. Especially when the show itself started making jokes about it a couple seasons back.

I wonder who they'll add in the back half this year.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

https://vine.co/v/iv1QhP2L9vA

Aw yeah.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like where this thread is going.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Dalael posted:

To be fair, people here are focussing on the gf dying a lot more than the show did.
You see the GF, She gets stab, she makes a call and then she dies. The end, she's never brought up again. Bellamy doesnt even mention her when talking to Pike.
You guys are literally making this poo poo up.

He mentions to Pike, or it may have been Kane or Abby, it was someone anyway, that she's dead because of him telling her to stay and help with the missile system, or whatever they were trying to get up and running at the time.

I wasn't trying to say it was the singular focus of his going with Pike. I'm one of the people who thinks it makes perfect sense, just that the pacing was kind of whack and that the whole girlfriend thing (while not the crux of it all like some may think) got a fair bit of focus to draw some sympathy points for a character it's hard to care about, since we knew nothing about her beyond she was banging Bellamy and seemed good with tech.

Bellamy has a lot of reasons for going with Pike. Some to do with his own feelings about grounders, some to do with feeling betrayed by one of the grounders he thought be could trust, because of his dead gifriend, because of all the people who died in the mountain and-- most importantly, in my opinion-- Bellamy is a soldier and when he's too emotional or doesn't know what to do it's very easy for him to fall in line behind someone who seems to have a plan and some strong conviction.

e: went back to check since it was bothering me, and yeah it's Kane and Abby he's talking to about how it's his fault 49 people he was protecting died, when he goes to turn in his guard uniform, and when Kane tries to reassure him it's not his fault he shifts the focus to how Gina only died because he told her to stay there.

So yeah, Bellamy himself wasn't playing it up as the sole reason like some people (or other people think they) assume. But it would be silly to pretend the show didn't include her in that to help show the event breaking Bellamy down enough to go with Pike. The issue is I think he could have easily gone with Pike even if Gina never existed and it still all happened the same way. And it would have been more emotional a thing if Gina had been a character we knew or cared about.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 18, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sober posted:

I think regardless it's still disappointing to me that they cut some corners in rushing to get there. They kinda still did it with Finn and Lexa peacing out during the Mt. Weather siege but the payoff they can usually deliver on, so I'm hoping they can do it again. But that doesn't mean I should forgive them or not really like them playing a bit fast and loose cause they need to rush through the plot.

Yeah, it's not like the show has ever taken time with much of anything. It likes to chew through plot and while it can be a weakness at times, the speed at which the story moves is one of its biggest strengths as well.

Whether they rushed to get the pieces into place or not, I'm feeling pretty confident the payoff will be good. So why complain?

I mean, as great as this show is and how much better it can be and has been, it's still a show on the CW. I expect it to falter from time to time. Even some of the very best shows have their missteps.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Jaha going to Arkadia to become a drug dealing techno preacher has gotten me to finally hitch my wagon to his wild ride.

And was it my own :catdrugs: or is Jaha's cyber eucharist also nanomachines? Maybe Raven was just tripping.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kwyndig posted:

It's pretty much got to be tiny robots of some kind, groups of people don't have imaginary conversations with the exact same person when they trip out, especially not one they've never seen before. It's not unreasonable that an artificial intelligence smart enough to destroy civilization would also be capable of designing a colony of nanomachines that could read a person's brain and communicate with it, especially if it's secretly been experimenting on people (although we don't know if it's done that)

I meant because it looked like she was beginning to walk normally (as normally as she could the brace still on) before Uta Refson appeared.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

WarLocke posted:

I'm sure someone out there is shipping Cloctavia.

We should all ship Lexarketavia imo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

enraged_camel posted:

One thing I wish the show did a better job of is ground itself more in North American geography. I mean, the nuclear war was only a hundred years ago. Surely the survivors should still refer to places by name, based on old maps, and come across ruined cities?

The only thing that bothers me about this show when I think about it is how far removed everything is from the way the world would have been before the bombs dropped. Like people who were alive when it happened wouldn't have died very long ago in the grand scheme of things.

Like the opposite of the Bethesda Fallout games, where everything is still ruins and nothing has been rebuilt yet even though it's been hella long and they still have all that pre war knowledge that had either been passed down or can still be told to you by any ghoul who hasn't gone crazy yet.

However, with them putting more emphasis on Alie and the infinity symbol and that whole connection, I wonder how much of grounder culture is how poo poo naturally progressed when the bombs dropped, and how much could potentially be just all some big experiment by Alie to weed the weak from the strong before populating her city of light.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

I assume they're actual medical nanobots or something, because it wasn't just pain, she couldn't fully use the leg. She was moving her knee around after taking it though.

Yeah this is what I've been assuming. Her spine and hip were too hosed for it just to be blocking pain. Like either she was just trippin' a bit when she saw Alie and was in pseudo-VR, or it's nanomachines, son.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

preview for this week's ep

I think they're trying to kill me

Draw me like one of your Ark girls.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Snak posted:

It could be the Black Oil from X-Files.

tbh I would be happy with this as my rear end is still chapped over it being retconned

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

So my money is on night blood dreams being ALIE 2.0 in some way, and if the 13th colony itself didn't become one of the grounder clans I feel like Beca was still somehow the first commander.

Like it looked like that may have just been a tiny dropship. I feel like Beca may have been the only person to survive the 13th colony. Either that or it was only her and a small handful. However it happened this poo poo is interesting as gently caress and I continue to be surprised in the direction they've taken ALIE/City of Light. When Erica Cerra showed up last year as sexy Skynet I was super concerned her story would be dumb as gently caress.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I didn't watch BSG until it was over (same with LOST, actually, both shows work really well when you're not waiting and theorizing between weeks and seasons) and the weakest bit for me was New Caprica. I actually stopped watching for like a year and had to restart when I wanted to finish it. Once they were off the ground I got way into the show again.

I mean it's not some masterpiece and the ending is weak, but really other than the Starbuck poo poo being silly as gently caress I was pretty happy with how it all went. The Cylons and their 'plan' never panned out into anything as big or interesting as the show wanted to build up, but none of the religious themes/etc surprised me or felt out of place. The show had weird religious stuff going on from the beginning.

Good show imho.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Good episode. Pretty much went exactly where I expected it to with the revelation of the sacred symbol/etc beforehand. I felt the flashbacks were pretty tight and led into the conclusion well without giving away that Lexa straight up has a chip in her neck until the ritual itself. Like it was clear Beca had put ALIE 2.0 in herself and that she was injecting herself with a shitton of Rad-X/nanomachines which would later be passed on to some children, not all, and make them compatible with ALIE and potential commanders.

I can dig it. I like this explanation for what happened, though it raises questions about why society has degraded so fast so quickly. My next prediction will be ALIE helped push poo poo in that direction so poo poo would stay primitive enough that nobody needs to know about the AI, and Beca can get her goal of saving humanity with it. Or something. Idk.

As for Lexa dying I'm sure my opinion is worthless (lesbian tho) but anybody getting seriously bothered by it as some form of offense to women or gay people seems ridiculous to me. Just in general, not this thread specifically but a thought about the internet as a whole. Like, be pissed a character you like is dead but don't try and make it about anything more than that. I mean she was a recurring character on the show, the actress had been cast on another show between seasons and it was known ahead of time she wouldn't be around all season. Her dying was pretty much inevitable. You don't write a character like Lexa off without killing her. It would be too silly to explain away sending her off or her just never being around.

Contrived as her accidental death was in the moment and as dope as her going out honourably in battle would have been instead, I sort of really like the idea of her dying when she was most likely at her most peaceful and happy.

Also they filmed stuff for the finale in Vancouver proper in January and Alycia was there doing shoots in the city. Maybe ALIE 1.0 gets some of 2.0s data to troll Clarke or maybe it's some kind of uploaded consciousness like the former commanders seem to be a weaker version of(because they live on in the chip itself and not a nuke powered VR world).

esperterra fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Mar 4, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah her scene with Titus was great, also really great to see her bust out that huge smile in bed with Clarke. Alycia def went out on her strongest episode.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

If it's important to normalize lgbt characters, and I think the 100 is definitely on the forefront of that, then you can't give them special plot armor because some people used such characters poorly in the past.

This tbh. I mean The 100 is not only one of the first shows to have an openly gay/bi lady in the lead, esp in its demo, it is also handles it in the most wonderfully casual way and never treated it like some big twist or reveal.

Lexa died because she had to, not because she was gay. I really doubt they made up the ALIE plot in light of Alycia leaving, so even if she hadn't gotten cast on another show I am certain she would have died anyway. Maybe later, but it would have happened.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boogaleeboo posted:

There's like a 500% chance that chip ends up in Clarke at some point.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As a lesbian I can confirm most lesbians are crazy people when it comes to television.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As much as I did have a little giggle at Lexa being caught by a stray bullet and it making me think of Buffy for a hot second, at least she was actually in its way. Clarke was going for the door and Lexa opened it.

Tara was standing on the second floor of a building kind of by a window and happened to get shot by the most random of bullets that never looked like it was even fired at an angle to hit her.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

If writers went out of their way to avoid every 'trope', nothing would ever get written.

As a lesbian I 100% have empathy for how much it sucks when your fave gay character dies but not so much for the people who go batshit over it every time like they want all gay characters to be immortal or something, or like every time a gay character dies it's an affront to LGBT people everywhere.

There's a really great book and movie about people like that, one of my favourites. Misery. It's a cautionary tale, really.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

can you comprehend that there are more ways to write off a character than a really dumb shock death?

There really is no other way to write Lexa off without it making little sense or just being sort of dumb imo. Sending her away indefinitely is silly, and even sillier would behaving her still be leader of the grounders/Clarke's lover but never in any episodes. If Lexa leaves we need a new commander, and to get a new one she has to die. Her dying also eventually had to happen to reveal the chip in her neck to the other characters. They could have gotten away with revealing it to only us via the scar, but only for so long before it needed to come out.

e: like really, writing her off in any other contrived way would be a much bigger disservice to her character imho than killing her ever could be. let alone killing her in a way that services moving the plot forward and impacts several characters in a profound way

esperterra fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 7, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Monicro posted:

i probably shouldn't but ngl im really enjoying the way this episode threw this thread into total anarchy

Me too Monibro, me too. Just as I knew it would.

Been waiting since she was cast in FTWD for Lexa to die and bring me comedy gold.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

The Commander had to die for the season arc, obviously.

Therefore the mistake was making her gay.

Truly. We need less gay people in shows so we don't offend anybody when their storylines finish or their actors leave the show imo.

I like our logic tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

only if that gay person had taken her place. it's kinda like the walking dead black highlander rules

This, and also only if the killer was also a lesbian. Gay men and bisexuals are only allowed to kill other gay men and bisexuals imho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boogaleeboo posted:

Lexa dies in a gladiator match with the season's real foe: The patriarchy.

I love you

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

that would have been good, would have let them bring her back whenever alycia had time. they could have still done the whole cutting the chip out of her neck thing because they would need a commander that was conscious. would have also been interesting for her to wake up and not be the commander anymore and have conflict based around that.

It could be interesting to have nochip Lexa, but again it just doesn't make sense to me in the context of the show and the grounder beliefs. That chip would only ever come out if she died, and for them to concoct a reason for it to happen wouldn't fit the show's established story or imho Lexa's character at all. I imagine she would much prefer to die to pass it on than to remove it and then probably be exiled or something.

Like even in a world where she didn't have another show I just don't see her living very long fitting.

e: nvm just saw the coma bit I am at work and exhausted disregard etc etc

esperterra fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 7, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's a religious thing, she literally refers to the picking a new Commander as "reincarnation". They wouldn't do the process without her being definitively donezo, and you can't have her hang around in limbo with a massive conflict on the horizon.

A good point so I will say undisregard what I said before.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

enraged_camel posted:

wow, how dare you stereotype gays

Yeah I mean what if they're corporate pantsuit lesbians.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hollylolly posted:

That actress doesn't play a lesbian on Fear the Walking Dead, though. She plays a very annoying teenager with a dead boyfriend. :shrug: so following her there would be abandoning the other, alive LGBQT characters on The 100 for a show with zero of those kinds of characters. :confused:

TWD does have a couple gay and lesbian couples who are doing well, though. For now.

You're expecting the kind of lesbians who get angry about this sort of thing to think logically.

The key is that the reason they were angry in the first place was not thinking logically.

they were thinking with their lady dicks

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

that's kind of a lovely thing to say

people are jumping onto fear the walking dead because they're fans of alycia and want to see her in more stuff. don't know what that has to do with "lady dicks".

It's because the boner clouds the judgment and makes lesbians angry when lesbians die on tv, even when it's a justified case.

So the lesbians follow the girl to the new show where they can theorycraft subtext into shipping and live anew, b/c we are masters of finding subtext in literally anything.

e: people who are such big fans of alycia would already be watching ftwd imho. I know I did when it aired. Never finished it because it was awful tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

that makes more sense. I don't necessarily agree, but I do agree that we are the masters of the art of subtext, which explains why shows like once upon a time have such absurdly large lesbian fanbases for shows with no explicitly gay characters.

I mean, really, if you want to get up in arms about bad LGBT representation on television then Lesbian Kingdom Hearts is a perfect place to start. The way they've treated their lesbian character(s) on that show is hilariously bad to the point where the start of the big LGBT plot line they teased about in the off season was just an episode full of Mulan and Red just speaking in vague dumb innuendos.

Like don't get me wrong, I could talk for days about how much sense it would make for Emma and Regina to have all of the sex immediately but that doesn't mean I don't think people are literally loving crazy for getting so upset over Lexa dying. If anything I think people should be happy she had such a send off. They gave her seven episodes to die instead of writing her off immediately, or just having her never show up again after ditching at Mt Weather and writing her off between seasons.

e: like imho this is a really good thing. having a well written gay character die in a way that feels like it was needed within the story is and should be seen as refreshing. to be a character whose death holds enough importance to drive forward the plot is an honour, really.

esperterra fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 7, 2016

• Locked thread