Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Can we just agree to disagree? I understand that tumblr is exploding over this, and that it sucks, etc. I don't think we're going to be going over any new ground if we just keep arguing about it.

The Commander is dead, long live the Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Monicro posted:

i probably shouldn't but ngl im really enjoying the way this episode threw this thread into total anarchy

Me too Monibro, me too. Just as I knew it would.

Been waiting since she was cast in FTWD for Lexa to die and bring me comedy gold.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

hollylolly posted:

Can we just agree to disagree? I understand that tumblr is exploding over this, and that it sucks, etc. I don't think we're going to be going over any new ground if we just keep arguing about it.

The Commander is dead, long live the Commander.

i just hate it when people bring tumblr drama here

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

zoux posted:

I don't think you can.

No, the problem is my post said "y'all are missing the forest for the trees" and you followed it up with "POINT AT A BIRCH TREE"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monicro posted:

No, the problem is my post said "y'all are missing the forest for the trees" and you followed it up with "POINT AT A BIRCH TREE"

C'mon this should be easy, name just one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Monicro posted:

i probably shouldn't but ngl im really enjoying the way this episode threw this thread into total anarchy

I wouldn't say it's anarchy since most people are being pretty reasonable about it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Commander had to die for the season arc, obviously.

Therefore the mistake was making her gay.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

zoux posted:

C'mon this should be easy, name just one.

I'm not very inclined to considering how blatantly you're arguing in bad faith so I'll just quote these posts again and then take hollylolly's advice and bow out of this

The Iron Rose posted:

Also you guys seemed to have missed the memo that it doesn't matter if tropes are individually justified in a work or not, the problem is they happen on such a wide scale

The Iron Rose posted:

Lexa's death isn't problematic if you're only considering the context of the show and nothing else(though the fact it happened 1 scene after sex is kinda gross). It becomes problematic in the context of lesbians getting killed off all the time.

Like, as far as deaths go, this one was foreshadowed and justified and wasn't fridging at all. It becomes a problem once you take a wider look at lesbian characters being buried all over the drat place across in other shows and movies.

There's nothing the 100 could have done better outside of not killing Lexa off 1 scene after sex. It is, however, undeniably disappointing considering the fact that the vast majority of major lesbian characters will end up being killed off one way or another, justified or not.

Monicro fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 7, 2016

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Aphrodite posted:

Truly. We need less gay people in shows so we don't offend anybody when their storylines finish or their actors leave the show imo.

I like our logic tbh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monicro posted:

I'm not very inclined to considering how blatantly you're arguing in bad faith so I'll just quote this post again and then take hollylolly's advice and bow out of this

Nah I think you would if you could, because that would straight up win you the argument.

What it shows instead is that lgbt characters must in fact be immortal and above the rules of storytelling in order to satisfy you, and in my opinion that's an unreasonable standard, and actually counterproductive to the goal of increasing lgbt representation on TV. Because if you have to treat gay characters with kid gloves then it's not worth it to make a character gay in the first place, since it ties your hands against all behinds the scenes realites, audience demands, new narrative ideas or changes.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

I can just imagine two show runner executive types sitting around thinking about how they can up the ratings. If I had a cold, cynical heart I'd totally make sure a few characters were gay just so I on-screen kill them during sweeps week. Controversy sells, the ratings go up and the fallout is a couple of tumblr shut-ins stammering their complaints into a mic at some bullshit convention where people are dressed as anime characters.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Okay, so new rule: any non-het character can never have anything bad happen to them because killing off lesbians is a trope!

gently caress guys, she was cast on another show. Should they have put Lexa on a bus to ice nation and never mentioned her again? Would that have been more acceptable?

If the writers had killed her off just for shits and giggles, sure, get mad. This is them dealing with the fact that the actress literally would not be available anymore, not some anti-gay bullshit.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

WarLocke posted:

Okay, so new rule: any non-het character can never have anything bad happen to them because killing off lesbians is a trope!

gently caress guys, she was cast on another show. Should they have put Lexa on a bus to ice nation and never mentioned her again? Would that have been more acceptable?

If the writers had killed her off just for shits and giggles, sure, get mad. This is them dealing with the fact that the actress literally would not be available anymore, not some anti-gay bullshit.

no no, it just can't be a "shock death", as in her death should be very predictable and mundane. it would definitely make a more compelling storytelling!

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
This isn't the kind of show where you can write a character out without killing them. Lexa can't exactly go and move in with her sister on the opposite coast. She is the commander of the grounder alliance - she can't be uninvolved with the story.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

This isn't the kind of show where you can write a character out without killing them. Lexa can't exactly go and move in with her sister on the opposite coast. She is the commander of the grounder alliance - she can't be uninvolved with the story.

send her off to coast city obviously

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

enraged_camel posted:

"Clarke I know you're the Flash"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In any case, it's not really an argument for this thread, no?

The show was pretty justified from both production and storytelling standpoints. If people want to argue the larger issue, it's not going to get anywhere here because most of the posters here just want to talk about this show.

Now ignoring all that stuff, god drat. It took them a little longer than previous seasons to get there but just when it felt like a season 3 curse was coming on the crazy poo poo hits a whole bunch of fans.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 7, 2016

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

enraged_camel posted:

She could go hang out with Barry's Jay's dad.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

zoux posted:

Nah I think you would if you could, because that would straight up win you the argument.

What it shows instead is that lgbt characters must in fact be immortal and above the rules of storytelling in order to satisfy you, and in my opinion that's an unreasonable standard, and actually counterproductive to the goal of increasing lgbt representation on TV. Because if you have to treat gay characters with kid gloves then it's not worth it to make a character gay in the first place, since it ties your hands against all behinds the scenes realites, audience demands, new narrative ideas or changes.
Well maybe not, I seem to get the impression most people are fine with how Lexa's death was handled in the grand scheme of things and I don't think anyone is arguing for queer plot armour, but I do think the specific imagery and setup of the specific shot probably hits a sore spot in some people - a thing I was not aware of until I was shown re: that scene in Buffy. So I can see why it's a bit of a sticking point. That and the fact that you'll still be hard pressed even with 400 scripted prime time shows on US television to find another with a fairly central or even secondary f/f relationship pairing.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Lol this thread. Man the internet is mad.

I guarantee you that the writers are at this very moment frantically rewriting later episodes to get Lexa back into the story, probably in the City of Light. Or at least trying to figure out a way to get her into season 4.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Lexa gets cancer/sick and dies slowly for the rest of the season?

Lexa being killed in battle by Skaikru would deepen the divide between Skaikru and the Grounders. Lexa being assassinated does the same thing. Lexa just disappearing doesn't make any sense at all for her character or the story.

Lexa was killed by accident by her trusted spiritual advisor who now will be more open to her Blood Must Not Have Blood view as carried on in the next Commander. :shrug: Titus is a really interesting character and is probably the only person with enough authority with the Grounders to enforce what Lexa's wishes would be regarding Clarke and Skaikru until the next commander ascends, and will be advising that commander when they come into power (which is probably next episode).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

hollylolly posted:

Lexa being killed in battle by Skaikru would deepen the divide between Skaikru and the Grounders. Lexa being assassinated does the same thing. Lexa just disappearing doesn't make any sense at all for her character or the story.

Lexa was killed by accident by her trusted spiritual advisor who now will be more open to her Blood Must Not Have Blood view as carried on in the next Commander. :shrug: Titus is a really interesting character and is probably the only person with enough authority with the Grounders to enforce what Lexa's wishes would be regarding Clarke and Skaikru until the next commander ascends, and will be advising that commander when they come into power (which is probably next episode).

Lexa should've lead the coalition army into battle with Arkadia then died. Bonus if Abby killed her :twisted:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If a gay person had killed Lexa would that have been ok?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If a gay person had killed Lexa would that have been ok?

only if that gay person had taken her place. it's kinda like the walking dead black highlander rules

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Troposphere posted:

only if that gay person had taken her place. it's kinda like the walking dead black highlander rules

Michonne isn't gay though.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

This, and also only if the killer was also a lesbian. Gay men and bisexuals are only allowed to kill other gay men and bisexuals imho

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Rhyno posted:

Michonne isn't gay though.

I-- what

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shhhh, you'll ruin it.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

hollylolly posted:

Like I said before I think the only death people would have accepted is if Lexa jumped in front of the bullet intentionally.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Lexa dies in a gladiator match with the season's real foe: The patriarchy.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boogaleeboo posted:

Lexa dies in a gladiator match with the season's real foe: The patriarchy.

I love you

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If she had been shot, but had gone into a coma instead of flat out dying, would that have been better in terms of representation?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Source Idiom posted:

If she had been shot, but had gone into a coma instead of flat out dying, would that have been better in terms of representation?

Maybe they could have stuck her into some manner of cryogenic storage at Arkadia...

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Open Source Idiom posted:

that would have been good, would have let them bring her back whenever alycia had time. they could have still done the whole cutting the chip out of her neck thing because they would need a commander that was conscious. would have also been interesting for her to wake up and not be the commander anymore and have conflict based around that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

that would have been good, would have let them bring her back whenever alycia had time. they could have still done the whole cutting the chip out of her neck thing because they would need a commander that was conscious. would have also been interesting for her to wake up and not be the commander anymore and have conflict based around that.

It could be interesting to have nochip Lexa, but again it just doesn't make sense to me in the context of the show and the grounder beliefs. That chip would only ever come out if she died, and for them to concoct a reason for it to happen wouldn't fit the show's established story or imho Lexa's character at all. I imagine she would much prefer to die to pass it on than to remove it and then probably be exiled or something.

Like even in a world where she didn't have another show I just don't see her living very long fitting.

e: nvm just saw the coma bit I am at work and exhausted disregard etc etc

esperterra fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Mar 7, 2016

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's a religious thing, she literally refers to the picking a new Commander as "reincarnation". They wouldn't do the process without her being definitively donezo, and you can't have her hang around in limbo with a massive conflict on the horizon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's a religious thing, she literally refers to the picking a new Commander as "reincarnation". They wouldn't do the process without her being definitively donezo, and you can't have her hang around in limbo with a massive conflict on the horizon.

A good point so I will say undisregard what I said before.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Troposphere posted:

True, then maybe she could just move in with Clarke, get a nice apartment in a developing neighborhood and open a sustainable artisan beet tea shop together. :rolleyes:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Astroman posted:

True, then maybe she could just move in with Clarke, get a nice apartment in a developing neighborhood and open a sustainable artisan beet tea shop together. :rolleyes:

sounds good to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Astroman posted:

wow, how dare you stereotype gays

• Locked thread