Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
As much fun as Genghis Clarke is and hoping she commits more mass murder every season I hope they don't go balls out for it if/when they do. Then again Mt. Weather was done well so I have faith it won't literally be crazy ol' Clarke having to stop a war through literal M.A.D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Bellamy's girlfriend is supposedly the girl they helped rescue from the cliff at the start of season 2. Also, I read that producers have confirmed that Wix, Raven's boyfriend from last season, will not be showing up. So that bit with Abbie was definitely writing him out completely.
Huh, interesting detail about Bellamy's girlfriend.

Also Miller being gay I totally glossed over and was perfectly fine with anyway how it was addressed anyway, as well as seeing some other familiar faces like Harper and that red-headed chick that took an arrow in the leg but followed the main crew around for like half of S1 back to Camp Jaha. I wish I knew her name.

Sometimes I wish they could get like an extra episode and just have the background characters sometimes.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What happened?
Pretty sure it was like flat out racist or sexist stuff so no one on the crew probably wanted anything to do with him after that.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

LOL if that's the case then Clarke is a genocidal Helen of Troy.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why are they trying to get the missiles working again?
Probably as a deterrent in case the assassination attempt in Polis by Ice Nation was legit and Arkadia needed to respond in kind to losing Abby, Kane, Clarke, etc. Though the issue is why didn't Mt. Weather just shoot Polis off the map if they had the range on them.

Troposphere posted:

of course bellamys gf existed only to die
Also that was pretty crappy in an otherwise good episode, felt like the show intentionally wanted to do a take on a particular Red Wedding stabbing given how it was choreographed.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I think the Ark attack against Treekru will be interesting in terms of how Polis will react, maybe we'll see more of Indra and Lexa and Clarke but Pike is a bit one-note even if it is understandable and Bellamy's motivation is a bit rushed and cloudy even if that is the point. I get that Bellamy is fuming and hates himself but man he just needs like 5 seconds to clearheadedness to remember they're going to be shooting at Lincoln and Nico and Indra's people, not Ice Nation's.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I feel like there was a missing episode. Like that or spend an extra episode about the Arkadia election to build up tension on who might win or if Pike might sweep it. At the same time, Pike and Farm Station desperately need(ed?) an episode for them like the tailies in Lost got and maybe even like 15 minutes more of the Ice Queen.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

WarLocke posted:

I feel like if you are about to hold an election in which a grounder-hater might win, you might take the precaution of sending a runner out to the grounder army outside and say "Yeah, look, we've got some internal leadership poo poo going down, you guys might want to clear out to stay clear of it" especially if the guy who might become chancellor was just caught trying to sneak out and murder them.

But who am I kidding, the next episode is going to open with all those grounders dead because DRAMA
Yeah I hope the stupid didn't get passed around because they had at least a good 12 hours before they released Pike. I'm gonna be sorely disappointed if they murder off those grounders. Would honestly be dumber than Finn committing war crimes, at least that you can wrap your head around.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I think regardless it's still disappointing to me that they cut some corners in rushing to get there. They kinda still did it with Finn and Lexa peacing out during the Mt. Weather siege but the payoff they can usually deliver on, so I'm hoping they can do it again. But that doesn't mean I should forgive them or not really like them playing a bit fast and loose cause they need to rush through the plot.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

esperterra posted:

Yeah, it's not like the show has ever taken time with much of anything. It likes to chew through plot and while it can be a weakness at times, the speed at which the story moves is one of its biggest strengths as well.

Whether they rushed to get the pieces into place or not, I'm feeling pretty confident the payoff will be good. So why complain?
I think it's a little disappointing that they keep making this mistake despite being aware of it. And I mean like when Rothenberg was confronted with that fact specifically about the issue (for the lack of a better term) we've been discussing, he even possibly admits to rushing through it despite the fact a slower breather episode in between was considered but decided against it anyway.

It's weird because last season I felt like they had a few of those in their larger order (e.g. the episode following the missile strike I think I'd a good example)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

TyrantWD posted:

3 months of peace after being back stabbed and left to die, and after Treekru engaged in biological warfare against a group of kids. Let's not forget that during these 3 months of peace, the grounders killed 2/3rds of the Farm Station and put out a bounty on the person who destroyed their biggest enemy.

The grounders have been making GBS threads on the Ark people ever since they hit the ground. Cage at least had a reason to kill them - grounders have been doing it just because they can. Treekru have killed more of the 100 than anyone else, and they were ready to let the Mountain Men kill the rest of them but people still want to give them a free pass.
I guess they were saving up explaining Bellamy's motivations during the reunion with Clarke. And they're pretty reasonable, like yeah it makes sense in that way, though I wish they built up to it a little more. I did like the fake out like Clarke was trying to win Bellamy over and he just did not want to have any of it this time around.

Basically I don't see this ending without Pike's head on a (pun not intended) pike at the end of this. Well, I guess it really sounds like it's going to devolve into Lexa trying what Clarke suggests, the coalition revolts because of this, and now that Lexa maybe only has Treekru left Pike comes back in and massacres them all because he doesn't want to make peace with grounders anyway. Again, unless someone straight up assassinates Pike (Abby or Kane basically). Maybe throw in a few hilarious wrenches in the mix as Jaha loving :catdrugs: people into the City of Light.

Kegslayer posted:

Trailer spoilers

There's suppose to be a couple of infinity symbols in the background from Lexa's tattoo to on the wall of Titus' cave here.

I think the twelve tribes were ALIE's attempt to restart humanity/build a viable stock in preparation for the City of Light.
Also from the previous episode apparently Lexa has an infinity sign tattooed on the back of her neck.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

In that case, poor Monty, when his mom is offered up to the grounders :lol:

At least Miller is on the right team.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm shipping Miller/Lincoln

Mincoln?
Miller already has a boyfriend dammit!

Also I like how Octavia has pretty much buried the hatched re: the TonDC missile attack, meanwhile Bellamy is like "YOU TRIED TO KILL OCTAVIA" to Clarke even now. Meanwhile, Octavia doesn't agonize over any of that poo poo cause there's more important poo poo going down.

Clarke and Octavia are awesome together, I just wanted to point that out. Not as potential scissor sisters or anything mind you, just two awesome kickass ladies doing what needs to get done.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Might as well melt down most of what's left of the Ark, gonna need a lot of bullets.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Has Jaha always talked with some kind of lisp (or was my audio quality just poo poo)?

Also I'm trying to remember, Jaha was able to see Allie before he took the blue pill right, on the count of him finding her in the house which presumably has some kind of hologram projection and such?
Yeah, first time Jaha meets ALIE, she is a hologram projection inside the mansion foyer.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Ah yes, the only two really reasonable people on the show are teaming up :getin:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

LOL all of a sudden Pike needs proof to arrest/assassinate Kane?

C'mon Pike.

Also RIP Monroe, how did she get roped into this stupid Pike poo poo when she and Harper and Lincoln basically stood up to Pike's first shooting spree squad 2 episodes ago?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Time to batten down the hatches for the next few weeks. I sincerely hope discussion about the episode is possible without accusations of FRIDGING and KILLING OFF THE GAYS.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Man, the writer for tonight's episode (and co-EP of the show, Javier Grillo-Marxuach) is getting dog-piled on twitter but is kinda taking it in stride, even retweeting people telling him to basically go gently caress himself.

Monicro posted:

It's honestly a very fair complaint, but in it's context I think their hand was kinda forced and it was done well imo.
To expand on my points (because I should, not because I fear being shouted down), I don't think Lexa was fridged at all, nor was it really intentionally killing off a lgtbq+ character for shock value. I mean if anything Lexa is one of the more nuanced characters I've seen put to screen, and she just happens to be a lesbian (for simplicity's sake). And she has a ton of agency in the show. Maybe it's just me but I go with the old-fashioned definition of fridging a (female) character and it's basically someone incidental to simply motivate a male character into action. And we've literally seen it this season (Bellamy's 5 minute girlfriend, Gina) so 1) I get why this fear isn't unfounded but 2) that one I feel is a much clearer, obvious example of it happening.

As for killing off lgbtq+ characters, fair warning I am a cis/hetero male (my only concession is I'm not white), but again, her homosexuality was not the defining trait of that character. And I don't think lgbtq+ characters should somehow be 'safe' from being killed off because that's essentially asking for gay plot armour and not productive at all.

Although obviously I will concede the point that lgbtq+ representation isn't as stellar as it should be (or other non-white representation) so I completely get why a f/f ship (or whatever you want to be invested in) is something those particular fans will cling onto dear life for and take it personally if or when something like this happens that causes that to no longer exist. This isn't the first time and not the last and I am not immune from this either, but at the end of the day the circumstances involved are complicated, at least the writing surrounding it is for the most part well done and communicates nuance at that moment and promises to moving forward, and the feelings of the fandom for one and many other reasons are also complicated and obviously matter as well.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ufarn posted:

I'm a little worried that Clarke will stop being interesting at this point; like a lot of other character, she's been drifting around a bit, and Lexa was great for the character.
Clarke is basically a courtier at Polis right now during a change of commander. Sure maybe it might take focus from her to show the process but I imagine her and Titus will have to work together to make sure Aden (the one Nightblood kid Lexa was grooming for next in line) becomes the next commander probably. I mean imagine how many of the other clans will take this opportunity to get their candidate to be the next Commander, many of who (well really all of them) really want to wipe Arkadia off the map.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Lexa's death isn't problematic if you're only considering the context of the show and nothing else(though the fact it happened 1 scene after sex is kinda gross). It becomes problematic in the context of lesbians getting killed off all the time.

Like, as far as deaths go, this one was foreshadowed and justified and wasn't fridging at all. It becomes a problem once you take a wider look at lesbian characters being buried all over the drat place across in other shows and movies.

There's nothing the 100 could have done better outside of not killing Lexa off 1 scene after sex. It is, however, undeniably disappointing considering the fact that the vast majority of major lesbian characters will end up being killed off one way or another, justified or not.
:agreed:

Although I do have to wonder if and when LGTBQ+ characters simply being killed off is normalized. Like as in, "oh, they killed off [this character], so-and-so was [nuanced portrayal, well-realized character], death was foreshadowed when you think about it, etc. and being a LGBTQ+ character is merely just a footnote. I get the impression the trend exists moreso in genre fiction because it's just simply easier to manufacture literal conflict as a means to put characters in danger, is that true?

I know I'm certainly not qualified to make that demarcation. And I do fear it will be a while before LGBTQ+ characters are normalized in fiction. Like, I'm literally wondering when it stops being about the idea that writers are maliciously making those characters suffer for not being straight and those characters are suffering by the simple virtue that "bad things happen on good tv".

I do wish I had the historical context some of you are speaking to. It's not that I don't go out of my way to look for it but I think it still is just rare even then. I watched like 70 shows to completion that aired in the last tv season, I think there was only like one or two f/f couples that were subject to the whims of drama but never ever placed in immediate danger and weren't just background lesbians.

Troposphere posted:

It was a lame shock death then and it's a lame shock death now. It's just bad writing.

I saw Lexa's death coming from a mile away but really? that was the best send off they could think of? I don't think for a second that if she would have had a cool, worthy death that people would be as pissed. It's the smug GOTCHA!! they pulled right after having her bang the main character. JRoth tweeted BOOM WHO SAW THAT COMING when it happened and it's like literally everyone, dude.
Thanks for that. I can see why because of the near exactness of those scenes.

Although I still don't understand the context for that scene in Buffy. Is that just some rando firing into the windows or something else? Cause that would make even less sense than here so I can see why watching that would be infuriating.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ufarn posted:

The Comic Con panel is going to be something else innit?

Oh Lord I forgot this was gonna be a thing.

I'm both frightened and anxious to see exactly what happens. Or will it be far enough away that people will have cooled down?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I'd also like to point out about half their writers' room is also female. and I also have to assume everyone was in the room when they broke this (if not every) episode and revise revised it, etc. So this definitely did not just slip through.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Monicro posted:

It's more of an LGBTQ+ issue than a women's issue, but for obvious reasons one has to figure there's probably a few peeps under that umbrella in the writing staff so

Of course, but I figured even if they were all straight women, they would smell it coming or be more aware. Or honestly even JGM who probably has the most experience in the room.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

zoux posted:

Nah I think you would if you could, because that would straight up win you the argument.

What it shows instead is that lgbt characters must in fact be immortal and above the rules of storytelling in order to satisfy you, and in my opinion that's an unreasonable standard, and actually counterproductive to the goal of increasing lgbt representation on TV. Because if you have to treat gay characters with kid gloves then it's not worth it to make a character gay in the first place, since it ties your hands against all behinds the scenes realites, audience demands, new narrative ideas or changes.
Well maybe not, I seem to get the impression most people are fine with how Lexa's death was handled in the grand scheme of things and I don't think anyone is arguing for queer plot armour, but I do think the specific imagery and setup of the specific shot probably hits a sore spot in some people - a thing I was not aware of until I was shown re: that scene in Buffy. So I can see why it's a bit of a sticking point. That and the fact that you'll still be hard pressed even with 400 scripted prime time shows on US television to find another with a fairly central or even secondary f/f relationship pairing.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

qbert posted:

The Lexa thing aside I am really not digging this entire season as a whole. It seems like there are no characters to root for anymore. Maybe that's how the show always was, but it really feels like a ton of artificial drama/in-fighting for no reason and the only character motivations that make sense is the freaking AI that wants to conquer humanity.
The 100 is known to cut corners when it comes to setup, because they feel justified they can bring the big shocking moments to bear to compensate. And sometimes or usually, it does, but it skips out on some of the necessary character work, which sometimes leaves our heads scratching.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

Where the hell is Abby right now???
Yeah I found that to be particularly odd. Like she didn't have to really be into the whole resist/spy on Pike thing at all but it was weird that for a episode basically about Kane vs. Pike there was no Abby. But at least we got more of Miller and his boyfriend, Harper gets more than one line, Monty and his mom actually matter other than just having two Asian people stand on screen at the same time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

They really rushed Finn IMO but I'm okay that they sorta earned it back in the same episode they killed him.

And of course people aren't gonna want to hand them over because you're literally sacrificing a person. It makes so much sense in hindsight (well, until, keep watching) but no one operates that pragmatically.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Well who do you replace him with? Honest question? Cause Javier is supposed to be working on the Xena reboot. I don't know the rest of the writing staff that well (by whatever pedigrees they may or may not have, it's not notable enough for me to know at first glance) either so it's hard to say who if which can lead the room next if he gets forced out or steps down anyway. I get it's an adaptation of a book but the show has gone far and away enough it's more of Rothenberg's actual thing than anything. So excising the creator (effectively) from making his own creation is a really dicey proposition.

But it sounds like a lovely position for the cast and crew so it'll probably happen sooner or later if that's actually the case.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

Yeah, it really could have stood to benefit from a flashback episode where we actually got to see Pike and farm station's hard choices, kind of like Lost's "The Other 48 Days." As of this point it's hard to have any kind of empathy for Pike's crew, which is kind of a huge failure in storytelling considering the crux of the Arkadia plot hinges on this. It's even hard to care about the destruction of Mt. Weather because we didn't get to know any of the people in there. They're just numbers in an increasingly large amount of deaths that the 100 likes to use to up the stakes.
Yeah I also wondered and posted about this during the same time those episodes aired. Really the time in the cave while waiting out the Ice Nation army was not enough to justify "we did what we had to do". Farm Station almost plays beat-for-beat like the tailies in Lost, so it makes so little sense that you have to just take it by faith that the audience will care about off-screen stuff.

I know that they also didn't want to do an election episode but why not just split the difference and do that (election by means of maybe more exposition and actually feeling the mood in Arkadia) and flashback to Farm Station landing on Earth?

Or literally, the last episode would've justified it too. Especially contrasting what Kane is doing while all the while reinforcing and showing us exactly what Farm Station went through and why they think they're justified not only in bringing a war to the grounders but also to root out traitors within.

Maybe they didn't want to do it on the heels of the Polis episode which also featured flashbacks and make it look like a crutch? But anyways, it would've been an awesome companion episode alongside that. Like, I literally care about as much or even more about the three people who were on Polaris station as much as I do now for Pike and friends, and guess who has had like half a season to try to explain to me why they should be the protagonist in this story?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

hollylolly posted:

I would not characterize the Arkers as "so willing" when it came to handing Finn over. They dragged their feet and agonized over that decision for far too long, imo.
Exactly. The general populace was like "this is an easy decision" but anyone who had a real say in it - Abby, Clarke, Kane, Finn himself (maybe him less so) - were pretty much trying to weasel their way out of it somehow or make it easier on the kid.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

The problem with the arkadia plot this season is that it's made plenty of conceptual sense, but all the critical emotional beats have either been classic "told and not shown" blunders (farm station's background, the election, the massacre of the peaceful grounders), or handled extremely ham-handedly (the mount weather bombing). There's no basis for audience buy-in, it's like being given the cliff notes of a plot and maybe one chapter in the middle.
Yeah, basically this season I feel like the show is still rushing through to get to where it wants to be but thinks the things inbetween like setup and emotional stakes are the unfun vegetable parts of the microwave dinner. But they aren't. And this time I feel like the creators bought into their own hype to think they can do no wrong even though there was plenty to criticise about the whole Finn thing in S2.

I wouldn't be surprised if they unironically thought Clarke mass murdering another group of people at the end of the season was actually a great, legitimate idea and not just a joke. I guess she passed the ball to Farm Station, but maybe it'll come back to her before all is said and done.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Most writers and showrunners I follow generally know their boundaries. It sounds like Rotherberg might not if that's the case.

Most other writers just tweet like regular people. Just on top of "hey make sure to tune in tonight for a new episode" or whatever, especially if they wrote it they might livetweet it or sometimes retweet some behind the scenes stuff. I've had writers say (in general) "if you tweet me any episode pitches I must block you for everyone's sake". They sure don't go baiting super hard for retweets or fanart or anything. Maybe just like positive reactions at best.

Literally the most annoying my twitter feed ever got was Shawn Ryan retweeting positive tweets for Mad Dogs, mostly cause I didn't particularly like it but it was relatively harmless stuff too.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

That must be why Harper, Miller, and Miller's boyfriend had to wait outside all episode. They'll be accepted into the club once they put a few more black marks on their souls.
Pretty sure Harper and Miller were part of the original 100. I know what you mean but it's sorta nice to have a bunch of background-ish characters still with us through it all.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

raditts posted:

I'm pretty certain we'll find in time that all the "flamekeeper" stuff is a big pile of superstitious mumbo-jumbo bullshit that has built up over the years.

In the one flashback Becca said something to the effect of that she was designing 2.0 to learn from people and how they think, so it wouldn't make cold logic decisions like "the problem is too many people, so let's wipe them out" like 1.0 did. (Considering that Jaha was involved in his share of cullings as leader of the Ark, it makes sense that he'd find a kindred spirit there.) You can see the difference between them in the way that Clarke was able to sway its philosophy from "eye for an eye" to "be the better person" as opposed to Alie 1.0 who seems to be more of the mind of "what can I do to ensure maximum control."

As for why there's only one 2.0 chip, Alie 2.0 seems to be entirely contained in the chip rather than 1.0 which has a mainframe that uses humans as its dumb terminals.
In other words it is kinda similar to POI. Basically if you don't treat it like a child and teach it morals and rear it properly it just goes straight for the path of least resistance or tries to emulate whoever is directing it. If you need a prime example go find that Microsoft Twitter bot that basically because a 4chan dwelling Neo-Nazi Trump supporter within a matter of hours.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Dalael posted:

To be fair tho, Monty's mom was irredeemable I think. She was 100% with Pike on everything, she was part of the group who massacred the grounder army and she even turned Monty in. Her fate was sealed. :colbert:
I think it was getting slightly interesting after Monty turned, because it let them both wonder who they should truly take sides with and all that. Even their last 'real' scene together was kind of heartbreaking back in Arkadia. Too bad it didn't get carried further, but I guess the AI plot getting in the way and the confrontation at the dropship was still pretty cool.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

I find it hilarious that after all these scores of people she'd murked or killed by force of will, she can't loving fight. Like at all.
To be fair we are talking about a teenage girl/young adult woman being attacked by a grown man with police/military training. If he wasn't full of rage and anger over her killing Mt Weather, he probably would've killed her no trouble.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I don't thik many shows lose like 40% of their audience between episode one and half-season. Successful seasons actually gain viewers season-on-season, and retain them more or less throughout their run.
You probably haven't been watching the ratings for network shows in the past couple of years. This is the trend, not an anomaly. You want an anomaly, try something like Empire instead. Maybe maybe occasionally The Flash in really short per-week-bursts. As in when cross-over events happen, probably only then.

Most shows premiere high and slowly lose viewers as the season goes on. This is no longer a surprise.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oroborus posted:

Isn't a 1.1 rating still good for CW standards?
That's total viewer count. The CW doesn't really go above fractional ratings except with The Flash.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Huh, it's not that I didn't think the show had to balls to basically tease Luna taking then chip and then not doing it (either by dying or refusing it so well as to avoid taking it). It's just that now I'm curious exactly where the show is gonna go with that point now, aren't there only like 2 episodes left, because it hasn't really put itself in any real direction coming out of it.

Luna was a BAMF though, she just tore through everyone like it was no one's business. Clarke, Bellamy and Octavia did not need saving to save her, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Spergatory posted:

Though I suppose that's just what I hope happens, because having Jasper just give up and take the chip would run extremely counter to his character and undercut his entire arc. It would also make him irredeemable in the eyes of the audience, since he'd be the only "good guy" who took the chip knowing full well what it did, without doing it to save anyone. Plus, hasn't Monty lost enough? :smith:
What, are you implying that The 100 is a show that might even think of undercutting or undermining character development for the sake of plot?

Well I never.

• Locked thread