Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I finally caught up with this show after being convinced by Couch Chat to come back to it after the shittastic 6-7 episodes at the beginning of season 1. It's crazy how this is like a completely different show now. I still have some issues with some of the plotting and how characters have borderline-schizophrenic personality changes and how Clarke has sustained so many knockout head injuries at this point that she should be a drooling vegetable, but this show is pulpy enough and doesn't take itself so seriously that you can't just go along with it.

I hope season 3 is the season of Miller, the best character and the 100's very own Roy. It's always the right time for Miller Time.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Allowing the missile to hit Ton DC were the only morally questionable killings that Clarke did, and it was more Lexa's doing than hers. The 300 fried grounders were trying to kill them all and Mt Weather loving had it coming.

What I'm trying to say is Clarke did nothing wrong.

Yeah but she's mostly too much of a coward to look her victims in the eyes when she kills them. 99% of her kills are from either pushing a button or doing nothing when someone else pushed a button, and then she goes off looking all distant and blubbering about ~*~her burden to bear~*~. The true badasses are Octavia and Jasper.

The Iron Rose posted:

On a related note, I also just realized literally last week that Tondc was literally Washington D.C.

I am not an observant woman.

Just wait until you figure out why Lexa, Costia, and Lincoln are named as they are!

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

Really, that's the thing you get nitpicky over? Ever heard of, you know, football?

That's kind of an odd example because not only does football not involve being repeatedly beaten unconscious with clubs and rifle butts, but has been under scrutiny in recent years specifically because of brain injuries. There was a movie all about it with Will Smith that came out just a couple of weeks ago. It's a moot point though, because...

raditts posted:

...this show is pulpy enough and doesn't take itself so seriously that you can't just go along with it.

If I had to choose a nitpick, it would be that what was left of civilization decayed so much and became so overgrown in 97 years as to be almost unrecognizable. But it might actually be plausible and I don't honestly care that much.

The Iron Rose posted:

Lexa (Hamilton) and (Abraham) Lincoln I get. Costia I don't though!

I wasn't even thinking Hamilton, I was thinking Alexandria, as in the DC suburb. I guess it could be either one.
Rocksicles already posted the one for Costia, and I figured Lincoln was named after the memorial since we get a shot of what's left of it in one episode.
My assumption is that the grounders are all named by what remains of street signs and buildings. I have no idea what Indra could come from though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 19, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

But jokes are supposed to be funny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jasper is more like the new Finn.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

So Clarke is now a panther-fightin' redhead.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Spergatory posted:

Let's be real, Clarke deserves a good lay after all the poo poo last season put her through.

Wipe out the enemy, get some oral. Checks out. It's the least they could do for her.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Astroman posted:

I liked that they explained the reason they were staying in Camp Not Jaha and looting Mt Wx instead of living there was because if they did it would start a war with the Grounders who'd figure "here we go again!" Makes sense.

It doesn't make that much sense, since they have no reason to pose a threat to the grounders like the Mountain People did.
On the other hand, their betrayal makes a good case for turning on that fog and wiping them the gently caress out.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hollylolly posted:

Clarke still kissing girls and slaying pussypanthers, it's a good thing Bellamy has moved on with, uh, whatshername the bartender.

I feel bad for Jasper. And Monty - he just wants to help his bro. :( Lincoln can't catch a break with Octavia: now that he's ingratiated himself with the Skykru(sp?) in Arkadia she's mad that he isn't Grounder enough anymore. Sheesh! Maybe be glad he doesn't seem to be suffering from Reaper side effects anymore, huh?

Yeah, she's trying way too hard, especially considering the grounders want nothing to do with her.

KTS posted:

I liked the casual mention of Miller being gay in the episode, just drop that in there after 2 seasons.

So they did say "Miller's boyfriend." I thought I had misheard that, it was glossed over so effortlessly.

Antifreeze Head posted:

To say nothing of the gigantic space stations that have crashed to the earth.

I think I should really rewatch seasons one and two because I do not at all remember who Bellamy's girlfriend is nor the girl on the boat.

Girl on the boat is the girl that robbed them in the desert and told them where to go to find ~*~City of Light~*~.

Bellamy's girlfriend I'm pretty sure is just another character that was "always there" and suddenly started appearing, like Miller was last season.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 22, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

WarLocke posted:

So good to have this show back. I wonder if Jaha is just being Jaha or if the pills he gave Murphy (and presumably took himself) are some kind of nanotech that let the AI gently caress with his mind directly.

Considering he could see ai girl outside of the mansion, almost certainly. Was it a pill though? It looked like some kind of prosthetic or an implant or something.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Yea but if he killed the trader girl, he would inherit her trading power :v:

I would enjoy this show a lot more if grounder society was based on bits and pieces of old world pop culture, and they cribbed that particular bit from Highlander.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 24, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I'm kind of disappointed that they don't call the ice nation "SnoKru."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Off to new adventures, Murphy!
I hope I'm not the only one that laughed out loud at that scene.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

Turns out you still need blood though.

I would've thought that head trauma is still a thing in the city of light, but apparently that's not a thing in the 100 universe.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Not-Aragorn is kind of a dick.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Troposphere posted:

who even cares about that boring poo poo

besides the crazy people sending Lexa's actress death threats on Twitter that is

the show runner has said multiple times he isn't going with Bellamy/Clarke and that people should just read the books if they want that

Are the books any good / spoil anything from the show?

Antifreeze Head posted:

Lexa says the Ice People are marching on "Polis". In keeping with the way things are named in this show, maybe that is Minneapolis? I guess that could mean the Ice People are Canadians? If we really run with that, we have a lumber store called Rona, which doesn't take a lot to re-arrange to Roan.

They are in the DC area, so unless world geography was immensely distorted in the 100 years since the bombs fell, they're probably more likely talking about Annapolis.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

I'd say the Ice Nation stuff can't be too far. Mount Weather and Tondc are like 50 miles apart and the Ark stuff is kind of in the middle of that.

Are they? This show has a pretty lousy sense of scale, seems like everything is an afternoon's horseback ride from each other.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

sbaldrick posted:

The Blue Ridge Mountains do exist near Mt. Weather they just aren't really Vancouver Mountains big.

The giant tower in the middle of no where is kind of weird.

It's gotta correspond to something since nothing in the show so far has suggested the grounders are capable of that level of architecture. I sure can't think of what it would be though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

hollylolly posted:

Linctavia is my OTP :swoon:

What was Captain Vane's name on this show? Prince A....? I missed it.

Aragorn. He's basically Post-Apocalyptic Aragorn so you might as well call him that.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Looks like the Arkadia plot thread is going to come to an end soon thanks to Pike.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Aww, Bellamy thinks they went too far, after arming Pike and leading a coup to put him into power.

Awwwwwww. He feels bad.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I swear, if you made a The 100 drinking game where you drink every time someone says "I DID WHAT I HAD TO DO / HAD TO BE DONE" and drink twice when they add on "FOR MY PEOPLE" you would be guaranteed to be loving dead within a few episodes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

Kill 'em all and let Jaha sort them out. send them to the City of Light

Fixed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's how he interprets it. He found God when he was dying of hypoxia, and now everything is a sign from the AI-mighty.

That said, it's not exactly clear to me that ALLIE's even capable of resurrecting people's consciousnesses -- seems like she's just copying them. Which would mean that the original host would still die.

When did they say anything about resurrection? Seems to me like she's just gathering them into Computer Heaven to form some kind of tech singularity.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snak posted:

Even Bellamy didn't realize the plan was to execute all of them.

I don't know how he couldn't realize that unless he was being willfully ignorant, Pike couldn't have made his plans any more clear.

Astroman posted:

Some of this can be blamed on the Grounders. Had they allowed the Arkers to move back into Mt Wx and not destroyed it and killed a bunch of Arkers, then the Arkers wouldn't have reason to be dicks. The Grounders feared the Arkers would become just like the Mountain Men; they made it happen anyway. Not saying Pike is justified, but it's a spiraling tragedy that could have been stopped at a lot of points.

In the episode before they blew up Mount Weather, that's exactly what would have happened if you go by the way Pike was talking.

jfood posted:

Pike has the right of it. Kill three hundred with ten, then gently caress up the next army as well with thousands of bullets. Then a truce, maybe.

Without fear there is no respect on this new Earth.

Great idea, until you realize that bullets are not a renewable resource.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 20, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Snak posted:

There is a difference between decisive victory and executing all of the wounded survivors.

What about Pike makes you think that he would give a single solitary gently caress about wounded survivors? His entire vocabulary consists of "get them before they get us" rhetoric, and that is not a philosophy that allows for survivors.

Hobo posted:

Making bullets (or rounds more importantly) involves a lot more than just melting down scrap metal.

And in a show where deciding to use their propellant for a bomb was a major plot point.

CeeJee posted:

It's probably 3D printers making stuff.

Better not think too much, for instance where all these people who were born on the Ark learned to shoot so well. Was there a Firing Range Station ?

The 100 is a science fiction show that is extremely light on the science, it's not really worth arguing about on the grounds of realism.

enraged_camel posted:

One thing I wish the show did a better job of is ground itself more in North American geography. I mean, the nuclear war was only a hundred years ago. Surely the survivors should still refer to places by name, based on old maps, and come across ruined cities?

They kinda do, just that for some reason none of the names of the cities have been remembered in their intact form.
The only thing that really bothers me is that the bombs apparently turned the DC area into the forests of Vancouver with a couple haphazardly placed remains of landmarks. I get that 100 years of overgrowth would change things a lot, but clearly there have been people living there the whole time.

I'd also think that with that many people surviving the bombings you'd have a significant number of people familiar with technology and architecture and things wouldn't revert to stone age tribal society, but once again there's that tenuous relationship between The 100 and realism.

raditts fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 21, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope the show addresses the ridiculously short lifespan of the commanders. Titus said he served 4 commanders before(including?) Lexa and he doesn't look that old. The AI chip probably has a ton of stupid teens in it.

They live in a tribal warrior society with no technology or advanced medicine where you kill your way to the top, and up until 3-4 months ago they were up against a rival society that did have technology and advanced medicine and targeted them specifically as lab rats.

What makes you think the leader in this situation is going to ever live a long, fruitful life?

Robutt posted:

Looking back on it, what made season 2 so compelling was the character work that went into Dante, Cage and Mount Weather in general. Personally I ultimately did find them less sympathetic but all that character work made everything mean more and the whole situation much more tragic.

Are you kidding, the bad guys in season 2 were way more cartoony and schizophrenic than anyone so far this season.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Apr 2, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dalael posted:

I wish tv audience wouldn't be populated by a bunch of :qq: who invest themselves so much in one or 2 characters to the point that these need ridiculous plot armor to insure a show's survival.

I loved Lincoln. He was great. Its sad that he's dead but it doesn't kill the show for me. I like that a few producers are willing to kill major characters in order to create show drama. I just wish it wouldn't create so much real drama.

Besides, didn't they kill him off because he got cast on another show? They'd been spinning their wheels with his character all season.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, Pike's an rear end in a top hat but he sincerely believes he's doing the right thing. He spent his entire life on the Ark learning a ruthless way of doing things, than he crashed to Earth and spent months being attacked by grounders and fighting for his life and the lives of his people. The idea of peaceful Grounders or another way is just completely foreign to him and way too much of an act of faith for him to take. His actions are wrong but he truly thinks he's doing evil for a good reason.

Which is the entire point of the show. Lexa thought she was doing the right thing when she sent the Grounders after The 100, or when she abandoned them at the Mountain. Clarke thought she was doing the right thing when she killed the Grounders or the Mountain Men (and Women and Children). Kane and Jaha thought they were doing the right thing when they sent the 100 to Earth or killed those 300 people on the Ark. Abby thought she was doing the right thing when she turned her husband in to Jaha. Bellamy thought he was doing the right thing when he shot Jaha to try and help his sister. This show is all about people doing evil things for what they think are good reasons at that time. And then they wrestle with the guilt of it, especially when things turn out to show it wasn't as necessary as they thought it was, but even when it probably was the necessary action like with Clarke and the Mountain Men.

Pike is doing evil poo poo but he definitely seems to know that and be carrying some guilt for it. His final words to Lincoln were part of that where on some basic level he clearly respected Lincoln but felt he had to execute him to maintain order. Pike also showed some reason when Kane talked him out of killing all the Grounders. Sure, from our perspective killing Kane, Lincoln, and Sinclair is decidedly awful but if Pike were a madman he would have just killed them all and wouldn't be using resources on the Grounder prisoners.

This should all be common knowledge by now since every main character says "I DID WHAT HAD TO BE DONE. FOR MY PEOPLE." like 26 times an episode.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

VagueRant posted:

So uh just to talk about the actual episode instead of posting about posters posting about posts for a second...

Lincoln's execution honestly just confused me. Why bother bringing them outside if you're just going to shoot them in the head in front of six guards? Why couldn't they do that in that hallway? I mean, there's cleanup either way. I did think that outside of the overall downturn of the show and social media controversies, Lincoln's final lines were pretty classy and I genuinely felt for Octavia, before he made his inevitable sacrifice and after.

Also: Titus's death was pretty fuckin' rad.

But I think the show is in a bit of a nosedive right now. Despite the deaths, it feels like there are too many people in the cast and they're way too disparate. This feels like the first time we've seen Abby in months, and I have no idea where Raven, Jaha and Jasper are at. Then you've got Bellamy's characterisation being ALL OVER THE PLACE.

My other issue is that it just feels like the show drags in a lot of parts. It's really hard to put this into words, or explain quite why, that's the nature of the intangible "watchability" of a show. But it's unengaging and not...easy to watch I guess? Maybe it's because I've been bingewatching the show Banshee which for all it's problems you can just fly through episode after episode - there's a great pace and scenes lead into scenes, and it keeps you on the couch.

Whereas in The 100, there's just something about the way when Murphy and Clarke trundle into the "hole that leads out of Polis" set only to have Charles Vane turn up and deliver his "next time i see you we won't be friends" line with all the conviction and passion of a man ordering takeout, and Murphy visibly sags with the inevitability of their plotline and spells out "we're not leaving, are we?" - I'm just very aware that I'm sitting (bored) through a TV show, not looking through a window into another world.

sorry that was complete rambling nonsense, please resume complaining about twitter or whatever

I think the part about Lincoln's execution is a bit of a weird nitpick, and saying the show is in "a bit of a nosedive" is an overreaction, but you're right about the other parts. I think the weirdness is due to the expansion of the show's scale, where suddenly there's this whole other nation of grounders that we never heard of before that are also at odds with the grounders that we already know, and there's this whole other, bigger grounder HQ that everyone's suddenly hanging out at now instead of the one that we'd seen for the first two seasons, and then of course there's the whole City of Light / dueling AIs thing, and it feels like they didn't really plan ahead well to juggle all these plot threads. That said, I still think this season is a lot more interesting and compelling than season 2 and I hope they tie all the threads together well by the end of the season.

Your posts are loving terrible and you turn into a gigantic baby when called out on them, please stop.

raditts fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 3, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

STAC Goat posted:

I'm curious, is there an established canon map for this show? Obviously Tondc is Washington DC. I was assuming Polis was Annapolis but that seems in question with the Polaris twist revealed. I read somewhere that Mount Weather was the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia.

Mount Weather is Mount Weather.

The "reviews" of the location are about what you would expect.

Distance and geography-wise, none of the named locations in this show seem to really reflect reality, so there's no real point in reading into it too deeply.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 5, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

TMMadman posted:

I am mad because I forgot that basketball is preempting The 100 tonight and it won't be shown in Chicago until Sunday. :mad:

You can watch it online tomorrow.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I really like Ontari :shrug:

That eye business was brutal.

Adding a voice to the countless others that Murphy shrugging his shoulders and bullshitting his way through everything was amazing.

I want to hate Murphy, but his refusal to die in the face of increasingly dangerous circumstances is just so endearing.

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

From the episode previous, but Lincoln's death kind of sucked. It didn't really advance too much, I thought that his death might be a turning point for Bellamy but Bellamy apparently turned before his death anyway? Then I thought maybe it would be to juxtapose Pike's refusal to turn himself in to spare his people with Lincoln's response to the same situation but nothing really came of it. It doesn't even really seem that Octavia's character has gained anything from it aside from more hatred for Bellamy, who was already out of the game when Lincoln died. Just a little disappointing for a major character to die in a relatively inconsequential way. It's made a bit worse knowing about the dispute with the showrunner, seems a little petty. I know some fans tried to spin into a racial injustice, but that felt forced and kind of like an effort to piggyback off the Lexa thing in my opinion.

I wonder how the Alie Borg Collective would have affected things if not for the plot this episode that took Pike out of the picture. I imagine that he would have found himself with vanishingly little influence over the people of Arkadia, which would have been interesting to see.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 9, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeah idk, Allie Borgs everybody up and they all instantly do what she says except for Jaha, who she seems to take advice from. It's an important distinction because I don't think he's as brainfucked right now as anybody else and is actively choosing for this stuff to happen.

He's just a literal psychopath is all.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It sounded dubbed to me.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It's the same dynamic as the AIs in Person of Interest, where one AI is made to rule humanity and make decisions for them, and the other is made to co-exist and learn from them (only executed infinitely better than POI), so it makes sense that the human elements like emotional manipulation and forced compliance are foreign to Alie-1.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

One obvious difference between ALIE 1.0 and ALIE 2.0 is that the former's chip can be ingested, whereas the latter's chip has to "choose" the host.

I wonder if this is because there's only one 2.0 chip, and it wants to make sure it doesn't settle down inside a loser, or if there's another reason they haven't touched on yet.

I'm pretty certain we'll find in time that all the "flamekeeper" stuff is a big pile of superstitious mumbo-jumbo bullshit that has built up over the years.

In the one flashback Becca said something to the effect of that she was designing 2.0 to learn from people and how they think, so it wouldn't make cold logic decisions like "the problem is too many people, so let's wipe them out" like 1.0 did. (Considering that Jaha was involved in his share of cullings as leader of the Ark, it makes sense that he'd find a kindred spirit there.) You can see the difference between them in the way that Clarke was able to sway its philosophy from "eye for an eye" to "be the better person" as opposed to Alie 1.0 who seems to be more of the mind of "what can I do to ensure maximum control."

As for why there's only one 2.0 chip, Alie 2.0 seems to be entirely contained in the chip rather than 1.0 which has a mainframe that uses humans as its dumb terminals.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 16, 2016

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

VagueRant posted:

I liked what was being said, but I thought the reactions were terrible writing. The better, subtle way to play it would be to have the characters suffer it in silence, let the actors react on their faces. Instead we got "SHUT UP! YOUR SUPER OBVIOUS PLAN TO GET UNDER OUR SKIN IS TOTALLY WORKING!"

They could have avoided almost all of their problems in this episode by just gagging Raven and putting a loving blindfold over her eyes.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Spergatory posted:

I love that AlieRaven punched the poo poo out of Jasper every time she had a free hand. It felt very "And gently caress You, Specifically," which makes sense, given that Jasper was the thing that got Raven to start questioning the Kool-Aid, and he's the main reason Alie isn't already getting away with everything

I believe at one point he yelled "Why is it always me?!"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Crunk Abortion posted:

loving. Massive. They dress them down immensely for the show, which I actually kind of appreciate.

If this is you, click below:

Also, Lexa is rather generously endowed but you'd never know because of how they costumed her:

The sad thing is, boobs do little to nothing for me. :ohdear:

Praise Jesus.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

White, blonde, yep, a total match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I didn't care much for this episode. It seemed like a very roundabout way of writing Emerson off the show once and for all, and also we'll kill off Sinclair because why not.
That shot of Alie sitting in the big chair with Crazy Fake Commander as her servant was pretty boss though. How many episodes do we have left until the season finale, and with it, Clarke's next genocide?

• Locked thread