Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So Bellamy's girlfriend died here so she could be resurrected in the City of Light, right?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well I suddenly understand why Pyke is so militantly against the grounders in the season preview trailer. Literally all of Farm Station is now dead.

Except Monty's mother... probably. No way they'd kill her off offscreen when they could do it onscreen. Though where Monty was when he could / should have been helping out with the hacking...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

I'm imagining that this particular lead-in part of season lost some scenes to whatever the Jaha endgame is in editing.

Murphy's mentioned in the press release for episode 3 despite neither he nor Jaha appearing. I imagine there's quite a lot of other stuff in this early season that's been sitting on the floor of the editing bay, and might make some of the plotting feel less abrupt. I imagine we've also lost some Monty / mother material as well, which might have motivated "I'm going through some poo poo too!" outburst a little more specifically.

I know several posters have compared this season to the Vampire Diaries' third season, and though that could be very true -- I've not seen it -- what this season most reminds me of is Veronica Mars' ridiculously overplotted second season. While none of the choices that show did were entirely bad, the decision to do all those choices at once strained the gently caress out of every plot line and could make things feel strangely motivated. The show kept tugging you on forwards, because it had something it just had to show you Right Now, without really justifying a lot of what was going on.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

I don't get why he has to be all mystical about the City of Light though. Why can't he just say "there's an AI computer that survived the war and there's a VR world we can go to and live there."? It's not like the Arkers would be unfamiliar with high tech.

It's how he interprets it. He found God when he was dying of hypoxia, and now everything is a sign from the AI-mighty.

That said, it's not exactly clear to me that ALLIE's even capable of resurrecting people's consciousnesses -- seems like she's just copying them. Which would mean that the original host would still die.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Show needs to spend more time with Monty and his mother. Two and a bit seasons as a regular and he's still a barely developed character. I think his mom's been in more episodes this season than he has.

That said, I'm guessing the solution to that situation is going to involve someone slipping AI wafers to the lot of Pike's gang and deleting the motivation behind their aggression.

I also wonder if installing ALLIE into the Arkadian mainframe is going to have repercussions down the road, or if she can only access the computers when she's directly linked to them through her jackpack.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If she had been shot, but had gone into a coma instead of flat out dying, would that have been better in terms of representation?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

zoux posted:

Is there a new episode this week?

Yeah, but it's going on a break after that.

Apparently Clarke might not even be in this coming episode. All Arkadia and Bellamy.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Re: Survivalcon -- I get the sense that there's been some misinformation being thrown about. As far as I can tell, Ricky Whittle's the only one who's definitely been criticizing Jason Rothenburg -- and even then, it's not clear what he said. It's probably a good idea to wait for actual videos to surface, rather than taking what a bunch of aggravated twitter posters have been saying at face value. I mean, I'm not saying that they've been misrepresenting the truth, but it's not clear that they haven't, either. And I'm simply not ready to believe anyone at this point.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Mar 13, 2016

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Yeah but it's a zombie show with no comic armour.

So she be loving dead at some point

She's also part of the central family -- could be that they want to keep that Spielberg touch at the centre of the story, regardless of how badly that fits the gritty post-apocalypse tone. (See also: Falling Skies. Or, rather, don't).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Given Bellamy's existing characterization this season (which I find abrupt but not unbelievable given the Grounder's actions in last season's finale) his decision to shoot both those messengers at the start of Terms And Conditions makes complete sense. He wants immediate revenge for the death of that scouting party that the Grounders killed. It's only when Pike starts directly threatening other the Arkers with death that he flips on Pike. Hell, it's possible to see what he's going through as a kind of PTSD (though I certainly wouldn't argue that, it's a possible line of argument).

His needs are actually pretty simple, and he's just operating by the Blood Must Have Blood ethos that the Grounders, ironically, have been operating under.The Grounder army had to die in order to make up for all the Grounder caused deaths inside Mount Weather (this season and at the end of the last one). The Grounders this episode had to pay for the death of the scouts and the raiding party, and for killing his friends on multiple, multiple occasions. Remember when the Grounders attacked him with arrows when he was just trying to save someone from falling off a cliff? They're a pack of arseholes.

He's also not wrong about the fact that the Grounder council (and Lexa) still sees Arkadia as lesser than the other clans. Though she was the mastermind behind the destruction of Mount Weather, Lexa never sought reparations for that action in a way that would benefit her SkaiKru buddies. She used it as a political motivator to remove the Ice Queen. Her complete failure to address this issue directly lead to the Arkadians taking matters into their own hands, out of vengeance and a fear for their own safety.

And, of course, now that Lexa is gone, the only bullwark preventing Arkadia being overrun is gone too, and the essentially selfish and fickle nature of the Grounders is back once again. Which makes their decision to isolate themselves and violently eliminate the Grounder standing army make a lot of sense.

I'm not supporting his actions, obvs., but I totally believe them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Browsing the internet, it seems like a lot of the Jason Rothenburg is a racist stuff is being massively exaggerated.

Also, and I find tumblr's hypocrisy incredibly amusing -- Ricky Whittle doing a jokey cross-dressing dance at survivalcon is apparently perfectly fine, and not an appropriation of queer subcultures. And let's no-one remember that one time he smacked that photographer. He's a sainted matyr.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I imagine that the precedent created by FInn actually makes throwing Pike out to the Grounders the less attractive option.

They sacrificed one of their own to form a pact with the Grounders. Who then betrayed them and backed out of the deal not two weeks later. Then the Arkers found a large number of survivors, which would have been a massive cause for celebration. Except those guys have even worse horror stories to tell about their experiences with with Grounders, and then most of them get blown up anyway.

Now they Grounders are asking the Arkers to sacrifice their very popular leader to promote peace and harmony? gently caress off. They didn't even get handed the Ice Queen to murder last time there was a mass murder, and now they have to hand over _another_ dude?

I mean, it's pretty clear that Abby, Kane, Clarke, Lexa, et all didn't give half a drat about motivating or explaining things to the Arker contingents. So someone like Pike coming along and snatching power is the least that should have happened.

And, of course, Pike's completely incapable of seeing a second dangerous demagogue who's operating right under his nose. (Jaha)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

I think the contrast between the suicidal gnashing of teeth over the death of Lexa, Sexy Warrior Queen vs the lack thereof for Dumpy Lesbian Quasi-Doctor on TWD speaks volumes.

Granted, I'll give it that Rothenberg seemed to bring a lot of this on himself but I wonder where the call for TWD to go off the air is, and how come Kirkman, Nicotero, Hurd, etc aren't getting death threats.

I was actually more annoyed at The Walking Dead than The 100 -- mostly because Merrit Weaver is a) awesome and b) quite a good actor.

I never thought that Debnam-Carey was particularly bad, but she's nowhere near Weaver's class.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Monicro posted:

"lolololol tumblr"
"here is literal, physical evidence and/or multiple paragraphs directly refuting your stance"
"doesnt count also haha tumblr"

I think I'd be less frustrated with the situation if I'd seen some actual proof. Like, videos, basically. Most of what has been presented in this thread so far has been hearsay (specifically regarding the cast's reactions to Rothenburg).

Like, I'd love to believe that the situation was as clearly as one-sided as one or two posters present, but the entire thing seems to be filtered through with a lot of really unreliable stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Beyond that, the Eight Queer Women Dying In Primetime thing is fudging it a bit, certainly going by this list.

I'll keep it vague to preserve spoilers, but one character's pansexuality was obscured to the point where the reveal of her interests was limited to a blink-and-you'll-miss-it text-based easter egg on the corner of the screen. Her sexuality wasn't ever actually represented with any visibility, and so her death can't really be considered a form of queer punishment or queer erasure by any standard I understand.

The other character was a single episode guest star (and so by the rules of the list shouldn't really count). Beyond that, the show she was in used her death to make a positive argument about empowerment and euthanasia, and clearly seemed intended to contrast against an overly idealised heteronormative narrative (that the episode went on to prove was false).

They're also both characters who appeared on late night basic cable, so they're not exactly primetime either.

I mean, the frequency is still awful, but it doesn't really do much to sway me from the idea that Lexa is being held up to a different standard than any of the other characters who died this year were. Other queer women tend to be lumped in as statistics, whereas the discourse that surrounds Lexa, while incorporating those other arguments, tends to be much more personal. And it's that personal quality that I find suspect.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 25, 2016

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TMMadman posted:

But again, the problem is that there is no 'worse' alternative to Pike, so he is never going to be truly seen as someone making the best out of a bad situation.

Ice Nation?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If Luna is head of FloKru, I assume she lives on the oil derrick in the opening credits -- that would certainly explain its introduction to the credits this season. Probably the other boss that Murphy's actual girlfriend reports to as well.

WarLocke posted:

He'd also be placed well to blow the whistle on her when Clarke shows up with a chip-implanted Luna.

That succession crisis is going to be so hosed -- like, it seems like the thing with the Flame isn't publicly known, and depending on how secure Ontari's control over the 12 Clans is, it may not even matter that she isn't the rightful heir. She cut Lexa's line of succession off (at the head) and demonstrated herself to be the kind of ruthless leader that the Clans had been clamoring for. All she needs to do is crush Pike (which should take her next to no time) in order to cement her status as leader.

Just because Luna shows up claiming to be the true inheritor of Lexa's legacy, it doesn't mean that Ontari's followers are just going to abandon her. Hell, there's the argument to be made that Luna lost any rights to succession when she fled the challenge arena years ago.

And that's assuming that she'd even want to inherit the mantle in the first place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Which is hilarious, as long as no-one thinks very hard about the actual scene.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'd laugh and laugh if, in the last five minutes of the series finale, Raven's heart condition finally catches up with her and she keels over and dies, without warning.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Absolutely! Have we figured out if that's officially her doing the ALIE voice yet? It didn't sound dubbed this episode.

That's definitely her. She's just using a GA accent.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Prediction time: Jaha dies this season, but Pike survives into the next -- and takes Jaha's regular role in the cast. Not sure if they'll actually remove the ALLIE threat though -- she's also got that island base and the solar array, and the army of robotic drones, none of which it looks like they're going to have time to deal with this season.

In other thoughts, I'm actually not super happy with how this conversion arc is playing out -- if mostly because it's this huge unstoppable wave of damage that's (temporarily) taking out the entire supporting cast. For me, it's a case of the show prioritizing plot over characterization -- I'd rather see the supporting cast doing their thing, and being characters, than turned into a single homogeneous group of possessed people.

Then again, it's probably fertile ground for a fourth season, and it's not like it's not intense. It's just not my preferred season climax.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They're going to shoot ALIE down with that rocket, aren't they?

ALIE has been fabulous, btw. That shot of her in space was loving marvelous.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I expect the Luna thing is partially set-up for next season -- the previous three seasons started their set-up around now, after all.

Unless ALLIE is still going to be a thing next season, which seems unlikely.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wonder if the need for sea travel will be a way to bring Luna back into the show next season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

or that we'd have dialogues on the morality of literal vampirism to survive as a species, the AI apocalypse, etc

Something that doesn't get brought up enough, but I love that each season of the show is doing a riff on a different supernatural / horror monster, only through a technological lens. Reapers are zombies. The Mountain Men are vampires. Allie is demonic posession.

Makes me wonder where season 4 could go.

(censor barred for the new person)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How long are they even planning on living in those ships! And what's to stop them all turning into Mountain Men, mark II?

(Also, the writers must have some other plan in mind to resolving this crisis -- I can't see Season 5 being set after a 100 year time jump, or being set entirely inside the downed spaceships, no matter how much money they'd be able to save on exteriors.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

How do you think the other 12 tribes are going to react hearing that these troublesome space people blew up one of their enclaves? They've already got no reason to honor the deal save their king telling them to. Now they're definitely going to rebel. Now they've got no truce/time to fix things, and pretty soon some of the grounders near the reactors will die horrible deaths, and then they're going to see these cozy space people that in their minds has caused nothing but trouble, and maybe, just maybe, they're going to realize this is mountain men part 2.

I'm interested in the moment someone finds out that it was Bellamy who did it. He got off light from the Grounders after leading the massacre last season -- when they find out he orchestrated something like that again? Jesus.

quote:

I'm guessing the lead up to the mid season finale is going to be constant war drums and saber rattling, followed by a cliffhanger battle.

It's a thirteen episode season -- is there likely to be a midseason finale?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That said, if the show gets renewed for a fifth season, it's basically guaranteed a sixth season renewal so it can hit syndication targets. Which is pretty impressive for a short order show in today's market.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lycus posted:

They should just spend the last week voting people off the Ark one-by-one. *Jasper goes first unanimously*

To be fair, he'd definitely vote for himself.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Evernoob posted:

I find it funny how many of Continuum's main cast we've had as Cameo's so far.

Makes sense really, both shows filmed in Canada, and both shows cast surprisingly well given what must be somewhat modest budgets.

Terry Chen was around at the start, Luvia Peterson back in the second season, Roger Cross last year, and Richard Harmon, of course.

Is there anyone else major I'm forgetting, or just other minor actors that pop up in everything Canadian?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wonder if that basically guarantees a sixth season, given that 88 episodes are an extremely lucrative sell for streaming services.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I really like Season 3. It has the series best villain, for one thing.

I do think the first half of the season bites off more than it can chew, but I like a lot of the ideas that it's attempting to play with.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Good episode. Glad they seem to be clearing the decks of a lot of the conflicts this season. I'll be happy if this is the last season of the clan conflict arc, and they're definitely done with Arkadia and the arc sets. Any bets on whom -- Jasper or Harper -- will inevitably freak out at the last moment?

That brain tumour, now it's taken Becca's form, seems more and more like the second coming of ALLIE. "Nightblood for everyone!" Yeah right. She just wants a way to escape from Raven's body, and now she's trapped in a biological medium (as opposed to a technological one) she needs a new set of pathways to establish her network.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I hope they bring in that space colony they've name dropped a few times this season.

If Season 2 was vampires and zombies, and Season 4 is a biblical apocalypse, then I want Season 5 to be space aliens. You know, allegorically.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Astroman posted:

The 13 station was the one we saw destroyed by a missile strike in a Becca flashback.

There was an asteroid mining penal colony they've mentioned several times this season, which is what I'm talking about. Not the 13th Station.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Uh, there's a significant casting spoiler floating around on the 'net, in case anyone wishes to avoid it. It's pretty major, and has been reported in several places, so anyone who might be worried about being spoiled should probably avoid any 100 themed message boards / threads / websites for a while.

For those wondering, Isiah Washington (Jaha) is leaving the cast. Not clear how or when, just that he won't be returning as a regular for Season 5, which on this show is usually a fate that comes with a toe tag. There's no real behind the scenes drama that's leaked over this, but I suspect that there could have been some, given how he reportedly went to talk to the network back in Season 3. Alternately, he could just be dead come season finale, as some are speculating.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've finally gotten around to watching the most recent episode.

I think it's pretty clear that Raven was possessed, or at least heavily influenced, by ALIE -- and that Abby is too. ALIE's still living in Abby's brain and influencing her actions.

I mean, the Becca avatar started this episode talking about there'd be "no more pain, no more loss" if Raven followed her instructions. That's classic ALIE. The hallucinations are specifically a result of Raven's brain damage, and that's caused by the poor removal of the chip's neural network from her brain.

The only other person to have that done to them is Abby, something the show specifically establishes earlier this season. Abby has refused to have her brain scanned. Abby's late season actions have consistently put the flame and the nightblood programs in danger of destruction. In this episode, she deliberately opened the bunker to the outside world -- she claimed this was for Kane. But what if it was so that the bunker would be filled to max capacity, therefore allowing for the most humans to survive the purge? What if she's just continuing ALIE's program of survival?

Jaha's noticed her changed behaviour as well -- if she had to choose between Kane and Clarke, she'd choose Clarke every time. He says she's acting out of character, because she really, really is. It's only going to be so long before someone puts two and two together here.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 12, 2017

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Called it, Abby's definitely possessed. They're trying to fake us out with Abby's "I don't know what motivated me in the lab" conversation, but she's not talking about her regret for experimenting on humans, that's totally in character for her. She's always been a needs must type. She doesn't know why she destroyed the lab equipment.

(I mean, there aren't any definitive answers in this episode, but I think it's pretty clear now.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

I can't remember at all when they mentioned the space mining penal whatever colony, can someone drop what episode it is so I can find that little bit? My partner was literally just like, who the gently caress? This was never mentioned, and if it weren't for this thread I would've been in the exact same boat.

It's one of the early bunker experimentation episodes -- episode 5 or 6 this season, I think -- that gives the most exposition. It's a scene with Abby and Jackson.

The gist: Becca developed the nightblood serum to help keep people alive during cryosleep, specifically for transport to an asteroid mining penal colony.

I'm not sure if the show's explanation does anything but raise more questions, tbh.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

Right, surprise prison convicts out of nowhere. Took them six years and something, plus all the time spent on the ground before, to get to Earth? I thought adult prisoners got spaced, anyway? Why is there a huge transport coming?

They're a separate group from the Arkers. They're a pre-disaster colony, a separate entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Isn't Inhumans nearly finished though? I wouldn't get worried yet.

Inhumans is filming its finale right now. It's not going to be a problem, yeah.

• Locked thread