Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Oh hey, student Vet check-in: University of Pennsylvania, Biochemistry/Premed

Theres so many cute yoga butts, so little time to peep them

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
The word 'trigger' triggers me because it reminds me of all the things that have triggered me. Using it denies my personhood and devalues my experiences. Please refrain from using it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Molecular Biology & Genetics
Microbiology w/ Lab
Evolutionary Biology
Foundations of Clinical Ethics

Lotta cell bio/genetics stuff this semester. I'm hoping to get some overlap on the studying hours since I'm also working a part time gig as a research assistant at the hospital and doing a bunch of volunteering poo poo. Getting into medical school is a pain in the dick.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

12 credits (gently caress you if you're more than full time) studying Geology at University of Colorado:
General Chemistry II
+Lab
Last term, I had 14 credits, which I felt was the sweet spot for courseload, but I drat near failed Gen Chem I, and the only reason I walked out of Calc I with a B is because I diligently did all my homework and went to recitation every week.. Honestly, if I wasn't actually interested in rocks and mountains and whatnot, there is no loving way I would study a bunch of hard math and science poo poo and I would be getting blue squares speeches from vasudus like erry day

I am p. good at chem poo poo, if you need help PM me for personal contact info and I'll help you out. Chem II is a good bit more mathy through the thermo and kinetics sections.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Please post course material.

Can we at least see the syllabus lmao

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Most helpful classes I took were the following:

research writing
writing for PR & advertising
copywriting
excel/pivot table stuff
a math course

Go figure that being able to manipulate data, solve simple problems, and clearly write would be the most useful poo poo.

Being able to do basic poo poo in excel is indistinguishable in many workplaces from being a sorcerer. If you have a chance to use bennies to REALLY (and I mean REALLY) learn excel (or better yet SPSS/Stata) you will not regret it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I'm sorta surprised by all that drama at Columbia. At Penn the veterans group is like 5 people who send annoying emails but never actually meet up. I'm not sure how Columbia got such a relatively large Vet population - they're similar size/prestige schools, in large NE cities. Penn seems more pre-professional focused, but I would think would be appealing to the GI-bill set.

Like, here's a link to the Penn Veterans association that I found on the student services page:
http://upennveterans.org/

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 5, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

We have over 400 undergrad vets. It's a ridiculously big population. Columbia also has a strong pre-professional focus, and I think that it contributes to some of the douchebaggery that goes on. The vet group receives very little money from the school, yet rakes in tons of donor cash. I think our budget last year was in the neighborhood of $65,000, almost all of it from donors. As such, board members are interfacing with important donor companies (Goldman Sachs, Google, Oliver Wyman, etc) on a regular basis, and some of the real ladder-climbers really want that face time with those kinds of companies. That can lead to animosity, and the eventual dysfunctional douchebaggery that we saw here.

Bingo, say no more.

Zeris posted:

I don't know the numbers, but veteran status is a HUGE bonus for your application at Columbia on the undergrad and grad side. Columbia also, I believe, is generous with Yellow Ribbon funds. Lastly, we've had several waves of students getting in here, finding the experience positive, and encouraging their friends to follow along ("Dude, if you apply you're gonna get in, and etc. etc.")

A big reason the vet population lags at Ivies and other top schools is folks don't even apply, assuming they'd never get in. and they'd be right, if administrators weren't artificially favoring our backgrounds

I don't know if Penn let me in on the basis of being a Vet or not (I suspect I got some sort of preference), but I've only met two people in the pre-med program who are vets. One was whatever the chairforce version of rent-a-cop is, and she's doing well. The other was a MC Arti Officer who showed up last semester, claimed some sort of high-speed trigger-puller experiences in Afghanistan and proceeded to get wrecked by biochemistry and then get super butthurt about a prior enlisted guy (me) crushing it. I haven't seen him this semester. I imagine more vets would get in if they applied here, since it's not like I'm outrageously overqualified. I had a 3.5ish GPA from my pre-military undergrad studies and a comparably respectable GRE, and probably some good letters of rec. Nothing that screams "Ivy League."

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 5, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Meh.

At least they're outside getting exercise and fresh air sometimes. More than can be said for nursing students.

However, the courses I'm taking in the nursing building here have been associated with some of the finest yoga pant butt sightings of my butt peeping career.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

This is true. Even with regular spending habits you can save up a ton of money while you're here.

One thing I love about BAH in big cities is that the good schools tend to be in expensive neighborhoods, while you can live in the cheap ones. West Philadelphia vs University City, for example. I pay $500/m out of my 2k, combined with the marginal amount of money I make at a part-time research gig, I've been cash positive going to one of the most expensive schools in the nation.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

McNally posted:

I'm thinking about going back to school this fall and I'll be living with my parents and pulling that GI Bill money.

I mean, the BAH in this area is poo poo but it's better than nothing.

I get why people do this from a money perspective, but I don't get why people do it from a "don't be a loving scrub" perspective. Once you've lived adulthood, going back and living with your parents is the worst. Unless you live in a college town associated with a huge state school, just don't. Even then, probably don't. Apply to good schools at least an hour from home. It's kind of pathetic when college kids go home every weekend, it's just silly when adults live at home when they aren't forced to. GI Bill is enough to live wherever a school is.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Ok man, I'm sorry. I didn't know that. There's a big difference between "I'm moving back to be with family to help me through a crisis" and "I can totally save on rent by living with my parents while I pull BAH," and I assumed the latter, since that's usually what I heard while I was in. The former is a completely legitimate plan, and likely a good idea. I hope things turn the corner for you, really sorry to hear that.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Vasudus posted:

The overwhelming majority of my coursework in both undergrad and grad was a choose your own adventure, since the field is so broad. I went with research methods including classes involving actual research, both qualitative and quantitative, plus a healthy amount of statistics. I also jumped on any research assistant positions and got an outside short term independent contracting gig when I was a grad student doing program evaluation. Turns out that doing that makes you an excellent generalist for consulting/contracting with the big firms. I work mostly with clinical topics, but that's fine since I'm not rendering a professional opinion on them.

Unfortunately, since the field is so broad, you have loving morons doing things like gender related stuff or ~social justice~ and it gives people the general impression that it's a useless field with limited practical application.

I'm branching further out into project management now. My company basically gives you three options: you can stay where you are and they'll bleed you dry, you go into project management, or you do SME work. Project management is cool, so I'm getting my PMP and LSSGB this year, which is basically government contracting catnip.

Like every field that isn't explicitly STEM, the closer you are to the corner of your field that is STEM-related (such as research design & methodology and the more stats/quant side of sociology), the more employable you are. In every major there's some class that's really math heavy that 95% of the people in your major will say "gently caress that I'm not taking that poo poo, that's too hard/too much work." The other 5% of the people are the ones with jobs after graduation. Never not take the hard math class, that's what I've learned form 32 years of life, nearly 7 of which have been spent in college. Being able to do the thing that's too hard or complicated for other people to do it is sort of by definition the reason highly paid employees are highly paid.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
If I'm already going to suffer from existential angst, I might as well do it on a sunny beach with a little drink with an umbrella in it

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

you practically want to hang it on your fridge after you manage a C+ on your lab homework.

This is what biochemistry is like too, only your life is terrible and you never go outside. Should have done geoscience, but I really like medicine. :(

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Does anybody know of a year-long spanish intensive program in the continental US that I could do on the GI Bill? I have a gap year between applying to medical school and will need to be around for interviews and whatnot so I can't fly down to Belize or whatnot every time. It could be emersion or set up like the DLI but run by civilians or something? It's borderline required to be at least semi-fluent in Spanish for medical practice anywhere in the SW and I speak effectively no Spanish, and am almost certainly taking either Navy or UPHS money for medical school anyways so spending my last bit of GI bill on Spanish isn't a terrible idea.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
All the Spanish emersion programs I know of are actually in Spanish speaking places. I can see how that was unclear, I mean't "I have to be nearby for interviews, so I can't do L.Am. emersion programs, as getting back and forth for interviews would be prohibitively expensive."

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Mar 4, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I don't think I've seen a person asleep in class since I got to school, it seems like everybody here is on a permanent stimulant bender. poo poo has changed since my initial poo poo at school.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I spent hours coding and writing a system in excel that would pull from multiple sheets and displayed all the stuff in a nice color coded percentage way to track the thousands of items that needed to be fixed for insurv. Last I heard some people are still using a variant of it. The guy that did the manual data entry and had nothing to do with the work I made got an award for it.

Apparently if I had actually written myself up for one I would have got one too, but I just couldn't find it in me to write an award for myself.

At the Naval Hospital I was at before I got out they had a commander *printing* out data from CHCS (which looks like MSDOS but is programmed in an arcane proprietary language that prevents it from interacting with any modern computing in any way) and manually entering it back into excel. It took him like 4 hours a day. I figured out how to make Excel auto-input and format the data, but I trashed it and never told anybody about it until I got out because the command was trying to justify not hiring a data analyst and I figured my small contribution to improving one dude's life would significantly negatively impact too much poo poo down the road. Sorry, not sorry. LOL if you're still in.

Also the command put out that graphs submitted to the executive steering committee should have trend lines on them so they could see which direction things were headed, which lead to trend lines with r-squared values of like .2 being used to determine GOOD OR BAD. The guy who I worked for in the business office was a super smart dude with a dual MBA/MPH from an Ivy with a specialty in humanitarian aid logistics who was told he would be planning humanitarian aid missions and whatnot, then got stuck as a hospital admin divo in a podunk MTF in the middle of the desert. He was so jaded we would just sit there and laugh about how poorly the triad understood statistics.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Also don't feel bad, Gen Chem is really really loving hard. I've now done all the pre-med curriculum, plus immunobiology, biochemistry, microbiology, genetics and advanced cell bio/biochem and my gen chem class dunked on me the hardest out of any of that list of pain. poo poo's hard, yo. After my gen chem II final I seriously considered dropping off the pre-med track and going to nursing school.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 9, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Lol I hope you guys aren't planning on taking Orgo or Biochem because it gets so much very worse than that

EDIT: Copper and Aluminum can be separated by differential reaction to Carbonate BTW. Your extraction protocol looks good up to the last step but I can't remember if it's all correct (I don't think we even did nickel, so I don't remember if step 2 works). I think hydroxide will precipitate with both iron and aluminum. The chart on Wikipedia says sulfate has differential solubility so you'd have to use K? It's been like a year and some change now

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 6, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

UW MEDEX BCHS PA Program Prereqs: 2 Human A&P, 1 general Bio, 1 Microbio, 1 Chem, 1 Stats, and 2 English courses with Biochem/Genetics/Social Sciences listed as "recommended".

If I don't make the 1 Jan 2020 cutoff for the last undergrad-level PA cohorts, I'll probably end up doing some flavor of Kinesiology before hitting up Masters programs.

That's not the worst, you can def make it by 2020. You lucked out not having to take organic chemistry or organic lab. My school makes you take labs for Micro as well, which sucks. Take Micro and Genetics at the same time for the overlap in material.

Sem 1: Bio/Chem/English/Stats
Sem 2: Micro/Genetics/English/Psych
Sem 3: Biochem/A&P1/Sociology
Sem 4: A&P2/Whatever

Unless you can do a summer A&P I/II session then kill that poo poo all at once. Honestly I'm not sure how you can do Biochem without Orgo but your course might be a lot different than mine.

I did:

Summer 1: Chem I/II+Labs
Fall/Spring 1: Bio/Orgo/Physics I/II+Labs
Fall 2: Biochemistry, Immunobiology, Vertebrate Phys, Stats
Spring 2 (currently): Microbiology, Evolutionary Biology, Molecular Genetics, Healthcare Ethics

Last year was the worst year of my life, including my first year in the military. On the other hand in two years I went from understanding literally nothing about science to the crazy rear end poo poo I'm doing now.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 6, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Rat posted:

It's true. One of my first remedial math classes had a guy with one of those leather biker vests, along with a big 82nd patch on the back, actual pin-on CIB and jump wings on the front, etc, etc. It was pretty disgusting.

Dude was dumb as a box of rocks, too.

I volunteer tutor for a remedial math/science program for vets, and I can confirm that white biker vets are the worst students. They're always prior senior enlisted and think that means they have some special insight as to how fractions work. They invariably do not.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

The Rat posted:

I wasn't even that way when I first got out and tried going back to school. Where do guys get this mentality from?

People who are not interesting or useful enough to pay attention to on the basis of their personality/abilities still like attention too.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I just got a provisional offer from Drexel College of Medicine for their linkage from the Penn Post-bac. I need a 75th percentile MCAT score to finalize the linkage. Everything on one exam, no pressure or anything.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Ended up drinking with a bunch of chicks that had just received their acceptance letters for JHU, the amount of :smugdog: PA vs MD bullshit was awesome because it made the free blood money bomb-drop so much more satisfying. Seriously, holy loving poo poo the amount of money for that program made me almost do a spit take.

I love the blood-money bomb. The TA that runs my micro lab asked me some joke-question last week in front of everybody that relied on "we're all in debt up to our eyeballs" for the punchline, and I was like "oh I don't know how much this program costs, the VA pays for it and gives me $2000/m for living expenses and buys my books." The hatred emanating from the entire room was palpable.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I already loathe the VA.......idk why I thought I'd try this

Because getting shitloads of free money to go to school owns really really hard. Just jump through the hoops and collect the cash. Think of this time you spend as a temp job. Take the time they make you spend and divide it by the numbers of dollars a year of tuition/fees/supplies costs. Think about how much you're making per hour for sitting around in bullshit meeting. It isn't that much of an imposition, given how much money they're about to unload on you to do a basic check of whether or not you're wasting it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
gently caress, my MCAT is Saturday. I don't think I've ever been this nervous for an exam. I've gone hard for two years without a break and my practice exams have all come back in the high 80s to low 90s percentile-wise, so I should be ok, but still. It's 7 hours long, and covers Biology, Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physics, Psychology/Sociology & Critical Reading. To think, I used to think the bibliography for my advancement exams had a crazy amount of stuff in it. The Kaplan condensed review is broken into 5 books totaling over 1100 pages.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 21, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
So I'm a pubes breadth from getting into Drexel College of Medicine for the fall (all I need is a reasonable MCAT score, and the MCAT felt like it went pretty well). I have enough GI bill for one year, and DUCOM is unlimited yellow ribbon, so first year is paid. Now, for the second through fourth, they estimate ~85k/year of costs, so we're talking about $255k. I think that is likely enough to bring me back into the military. How bad could being an officer be compared to six years enlisted? I know O3E@6 makes a shitload more than an average resident.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Soulex posted:

If you enlist then gently caress you. You're going to have it the worst being a fancy pants college kid.

Enlisted: clean toilets, clean parking lot, clean office, ask SGM
If he wants his trash taken out or vacuumed.

Officer: do power point. Do PowerPoint. Do power point. Show up at COs house for fun times that are mandatory, then go do PowerPoint.

I think you guys misread my post. I'm not enlisting. I WAS enlisted for six years, and now am considering commissioning in exchange for somewhere north of $250k (probably close to 300 once you count in the current sign-on bonus of 20k) in tuition and ancillaries for medical school. I'd be a medical officer not a normal one, anyway.

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 29, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Med Corps is like the most watered-down version of the Army you could possibly get. Only downside is they've got you on the hook for like 12? years or so, including residency.

That's if you do USUHS, HPSP is 1 year for 1 year of the longest step. So if I do 3 years of medical school, plus three years of residency, I'd owe 3 more. I'll prob pick Navy over Army because half their residencies are in San Diego, and most (but not all) of their bases are in spots I wouldn't mind living (especially if you stay West, p much the only poo poo spot is 29 Palms).

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks for the advice, I imagine I should be a pretty competitive applicant. I'm getting in on a weird linkage program from a post-bac (basically you get a one-off chance to apply to an affiliated school way outside of the application window), so the only reason I'm not applying to USUHS is because I'd like to start in the fall. I'll probably go UPHS > Navy > Actually paying for school. I would kind of like to go back overseas though, I really really loved being on Guam, and I don't imagine there's a lot of PHS billets out there (but maybe, worth looking into).

EDIT: The GMO tour is kind of optional, you don't HAVE to do it (unless you don't match to a residency), but some people do it in order to build seniority for the military residency match so they can get spots they wouldn't otherwise be competitive for (used to be a thing for radiology, is become a thing for ER apparently, same with Derm/Ortho).

TheQuietWilds fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 1, 2016

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

manchego posted:

gently caress going back in

I am really sympathetic to this argument tbh

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

I passed Gen Chem II. I'm taking a "maymester" summer course, but from here it looks like I actually made it through my first year of actual full-time veteran science studenting at a real university. This is a big deal for me - the last time I took a science class was 15 years ago in high school, and I failed that poo poo.

Cracking a beer and rolling a tremendous bone.

Congrats man, it's an awesome feeing. As always, a PM away if you need any help.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
I never took calc so I prob can't help you with those, I figured you'd take more bio classes and orgo/biochem. I'm not a math dude.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Naked Bear posted:

That's so loving weird.

Starwipe is The Onion's version of celeb gossip clickbait.

http://www.starwipe.com/article/anthony-kiedis-scabadabahospitalized-due-complifon-2841

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Guys u just got until medical scoops

Sorry for drink posting in the student thread but I feel fuckfing awesome my life owns so hard

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

elite_garbage_man posted:

Who's taking what come fall?

My medical school started last week:

Biochemistry, Genetics, Histology/Micro-anatomy, Gross Anatomy, Physiology

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Oh poo poo, that's p awesome. Very exciting field to be in at the moment, I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Weirdly in grad school it's not a lump sum though. Due to the way credits work when completely off the semester/quarter system, I get my book payment in monthly installments of $95, which is fine with me.

• Locked thread