Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
The cc I went to before transferring had a pretty bitchin' vet center, and I ended up tutoring there for a bit. No dumb rear end drama either. The school I go to now just built a new one but I haven't been to it yet. Before it was just an office to turn in your intent form. Not a cool hangout to check out each other's day packs. Basically it used to suck 10 shades of dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Workin on a bs in computer science with a minor in math. Thinkin about getting my master's eventually.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Intro to Woodshop
Intro to Woodshop
Intro to Woodshop
Intro to Woodshop
Advanced yoga pants peeping

but really
Operating System Principles (NERD ALERT)
Intro to AI (NERD ALERT)
German 2
Interpersonal Skills for Engineers (this class is retarded as gently caress, yet required...god damnit)

also playing club hockey for the school whooo

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
the syllabus doesn't do it justice. The first class we watched a clip of braveheart but not any of the cool bloody stuff. just Mels speech before his army got buttfucked.

Then she asked people to describe their ideal leader. People ignored what traits make a good leader in the workplace and instead described their ideal best friend as follows:
THEY SHOULD BE A GOOD LISTENER
COMPASSIONATE
UNDERSTANDING
etc...

Basically the traits for the type of boss you know you could get away with calling in sick every friday and sitting on the crapper for hours at a time the rest of the week.

Nothing to do with decision making.

Most classes involve watching poo poo on youtube for half the class then group activities the next.

Quizzes are cake. Every chapter has some sort of list of levels for some touchy feely crap like "levels of listening" or "levels of communication" Basically I don't read and just copy the list and a sentence about each level for the quiz and I get an A. There's usually a part where you describe a personal experience and how it relates to that chapter, so I usually write about retards I've had to work with in the past, and how they end up getting poo poo canned, then twist whatever it is I'm supposed to be learning in that chapter to make them look even more retarded.

Last week asked to write about how communication played a role in a past experience and if it was good or bad. I I wrote about how I communicated my disgust for another employee's work ethic by calling him a lazy rear end, and how it was negative for him because I called him names, but positive for the work crew since none of us had to put up with his poo poo anymore as he was fired the next day.

Today in "lab" we took the meyers briggs test, because you know that's super important. Towards the end we split the class into introverts and extroverts when the TA mentioned the introverts were talking more, and I said that they were just compensating. If you still don't think this poo poo is retarded, we split the class for an activity where we were told to come up with 3 questions for the other group. Like seriously, who gives a gently caress? My contribution was to ask the introverts how many fingers I was holding up because everyone was asking lame poo poo. "WHY ARE YOU INTRO/EXTROVERTED?" "WHY DO YOU CONSIDER YOURSELF INTRO/EXTROVERTED?" This chick in my group asked if they "liked solitary activities like playing solitaire". It was by far the worst pun I've ever heard in my life, and to hear it delivered by some chick who speaks in a constant tempo monotone voice was even worse.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 5, 2016

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

Oh. I was hoping the class involved practical exams like shaking hands or saying good morning to a woman without staring at her chest.

Dude, I wouldn't be surprised if we actually had to do that at some point.

There's a dude in my german class who could use some pointers. When I got paired with him, the mother fucker chomped off all his finger nails in record time. Pretty sure he was njibbling on stubs by the end of class.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 5, 2016

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

go3 posted:

gotta hit those LGBTV numbers

They should put the vet counselor in the LGBT office

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Most schools have software, or pay for a 3rd party service, that scans all electronically submitted work and compares it to your current class' work, previous submissions and even crawls the web, and research databases. If you do a direct copy and paste, chances are pretty good you'll get caught because there are characters, symbols, and code snippets that don't render, but still get copied into your documents. That how people get busted in pretty much every CSE department, and it happens for other classes too.

If you type out something verbatim, it's less likely you'll get caught. However, there's still a chance for someone who's been teaching the class for years to recognize the work. I hated English too, but I did the work myself, and actually managed to get good grades in those classes. Now I forgot everything and my grasp on grammar is back to caveman levels.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
while wearing a pastel colored sideways baseball cap, and some bedazzled jorts because Asians have ~impeccable style~

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I know a couple dudes that do film stuff now, but they got degrees in journalism and mass media. They're doing pretty well for themselves these days, but there was about a year or two after college where they didn't have much going on pay check wise. However, I do know of a few other people with film degrees, or some degree with the intention of getting into film, that do nothing closely related to it years after graduating.

The experience you have definitely will be an advantage so good luck. Also, you should hop on that Australian thing because that place is fun as gently caress, also to help build up your professional reel.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 19, 2016

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Please regale us with your story, brother

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
That kind of language is not tolerated in Pottery 101

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

"Kiss my rear end" in response to a froathingly apoplectic instructor who was losing it because nobody (other than me) had done any of the assigned work.

So yeah, she can kiss my rear end. I'm standing by it- their hug box can go gently caress itself if some alpha oval office is allowed to get Full Metal Jacket PG style on me I'm gonna tell that fellow grown rear end adult to kiss my rear end.

She's (more accurately I am) lucky I didn't give her the old "suck my dick from the back" but then I'd probably be arrested and on a registry by now all things considered.

gently caress people who think they can just get in my face and yell at me. I mean what the gently caress.

I'm not cut out for this brand of college poo poo and it's so painfully obvious.

I was good at two things. Being enlisted and doing Intel sperg poo poo. I'm very bad at being a undergrad, or a student for that matter.

I can't quit college to go enlist because I already loving retired.

Just gonna finish this out hating it the whole way. Kinda like an enlistment.

Dude I'd do the same poo poo. I know I've cursed at a teacher or two since getting out for being disrespectful assholes, and plenty of students on campus for being assholes too. It's more of a problem in the lower level and/or remedial classes than the others.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

The Rat posted:

You guys are giving too many fucks. Who cares what some pearl-clutching undergrads or profs think, as long as you can get your homework done?

I'm pretty sure me calling a teacher a dumb loving bitch to her face is a good example of not giving any fucks

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
never date in the midwest unless you want 5 kids before you hit 25

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Congrats on getting into gwu brother

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I wish Newton's ghost would haunt the bitch that kept asking "why are we learning this? How is it even useful in real life?" in my calc 1 class

Hit up patrickjmt, math dr bob, and integral calc on youtube if you need any help. Seriously a ton of examples and go to study sessions. Calc takes a lot of practice and memorization of rules.

Also if you think calc is hard, never ever take a theoretical math course. Unless you want your brain to end up in gently caress town.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
took my first spring break dump today

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

App13 posted:

It's cool though I found a nice group to go day drinking with. College is great, it's just the traveling part that feels like babysitting.

One girl was crying and yelling at us because we left the hotel and went to the conference without her. She got lost for 2 hours.

The hotel is down the street from the center.

She is 29.

lol

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Had to declare a minor for my degree, so I chose art.

now I can finally wear a beret.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I'm looking forward to the change of scenery.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Dude, those first classes can suck since you're basically in a class filled with a younger version of yourself hahaha. It gets better after a year or two, so don't let some annoying kid take the wind out of your sails.

The classes will get more difficult, but you'll be surrounded by people that are a little more motivated to seek help during office hours and not waste everyone's time bitching about not getting something during class.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
then do it in your schools designated "safe space"

hint: it may be the vet's lounge

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
if you drop out that means less yoga pants

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
gently caress I hate having to retake classes because the 4 year decided the jc version wasn't worthy. This is my second class I've had to do this for, and I've taken high level classes that list this particular one as a prereq, and yet I still murdered them. What the gently caress, dude?

So I'll be taking calc 2...again. The good news is that I'll be able to take advantage of voc rehab and it should be paying out starting this summer session.

ps congrats to all you fellow vets in your recent scholarly accomplishments. Also, high fives for fighting the good fight by not wearing a day pack to class.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
it looks good with a huge fuckin chip on your shoulder too

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Deathy McDeath posted:

If I can't fix it, I'll sure as gently caress profit from it

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Zeris posted:

God drat Tillman scholarship blew me off a second time. What do they want!?

wait, I thought you were one of the people that won the scholarship

what happened?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
my mistake

I applied once and didn't get it

oh well

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

what a loving waste god drat it now I might just no show

yeah yeah i'm going. its convertible weather, so at the very least i'll get some sun and tan up some more

They're usually pretty helpful so long as you have a good idea of what job field you want to get into. the people that tend to get denied are people with no loving clue about what they want to be doing for a living, so they decide not to waste money on them. All of my friends who have applied got it, and most even get extensions to go onto grad school or whatever certification even though their 48 months are up. Hell, I even got the regular vocrehab and I have the bare minimum rating to qualify.

oh and don't be an rear end in a top hat to your rep.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
it''s always great when you find out you can half rear end a final and get an A/B

just found this out for my AI class. Sitting at ~71% not counting the final, and it's worth 25% hahahahahaha

good luck with your finals, you animals

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
grats nerds

earned my first uni a+ this week in artificial intelligence. It was the hardest fuckin' class I've ever taken, and I'm glad it's over with. I thought I was going to get a fuckin' C the entire semester until pre final grades were posted, and I managed to ace the final. poo poo we started with 60 students and only about 20 showed for the final. It's like god drat computer science selection.

1 class left...

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 5, 2016

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Today was the first time I had to do whiteboard technical questions, which I was completely unprepared for hahaha. Apparently I'm the first person to voluntarily use the whiteboard as opposed to a sheet of paper. That's just sad, yo.

I got invited back on the spot for a second round interview to meet the team at a small embedded system company for an internship position, so i didn't do to terrible I guess.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 6, 2016

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Zeris posted:

No they probably tell people that when it's obvious they need a confidence boost

:(

they're going to roast me next week aren't they?

But seriously, I'm not even close to being the smartest dude when it comes to comp sci stuff, and the proof is that I definitely didn't nail all the questions today, but at least i have a back bone. jesus christ nerds, get your poo poo together.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
holy gently caress this intro to anthropology class has more reading than any cs or math class I've ever taken.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Girls I started seeing a couple weeks ago has some great titties. Soon I'll found out how loving crazy she is I guess.

I'm only 2 percent away from an A in my algorithms class. Here's to hoping he scales the final grades by that much. ahaha

Who's taking what come fall?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm looking at grad school because I hate myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7stpw4UfAs&t=0m13s

e: real talk, I'm thinking about going for my masters

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 11, 2016

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Is it worth devoting the time and energy to do varsity sports? I'm 25 which is pretty ancient compared to some of the kids coming out of high school school but I put in 2-3 hours of gym time a day training for Invictus. Would competing September-May be worth being schooled by 19 year old future-Olympians?

Do it since it's a lot of fun even if you're old as poo poo. Just work your rear end off. It's probably the last chance you'll ever get to p[lay a competitive sport.

I'm 31 and play D3 hockey.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

school is emailing me like a mofo for payment, which isn't do for a week. I hope VA gets my stuff done :ohdear:

edit: checked my mail yay it came

How does the book stipend even work y'all?

if you're using the gi bill, you'll get a direct deposit and you can spend the money where ever you want, however you want.

If you're on voc rehab, your counselor will setup an account for you and you'll mention you using voc rehab when you pick up your books at the school bookstore. There may be a special line/window for people that use voc rehab or other financial aid to pay for books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
just slay anything >= 18

• Locked thread