Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Advertising major graduating in March and feeling pretty good about future employment.

If you're gonna do non STEM, be in a hub for your industry, network, and do internships. A little luck wouldn't hurt either. Those internships should pay. At least for advertising, unpaid internships mean you ain't doing a lick of real work. You'll be somebody's secretary, so enjoy the class credit.

I'm on my third internship, second with an agency. Get comfortable with data, math, and analysis. Even in the spooky world of advertising employers have expectations that new hires can parse through mountains of data to sell ketchup.

bloops fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Zeris posted:

WELCOME TO THE STUDENT VETERANS LOUNGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYuvBWhqC6w

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Trades are cool. It's gotta be vastly more rewarding to create or repair something then spend all day bouncing meeting to meeting or holding telephone conferences.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I did that thing where I figured out what the lowest grades are needed to graduate with a 3.5+.

I am completely over school right now and there's 7 weeks to go.

I will miss the butts, though.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Gotta learn how to say no to stuff. Being an office hero by taking on too much poo poo is dumb. All your work will suffer or some will be great and the rest mediocre.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Worst grade I've gotten in school was a C+ for American Sign Language 103. It was a mercy grade. That teacher had every right to fail me, but chose not to. She knew I had to get through her class for degree requirements.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
"Poor" and "trash" are shockingly similar signs.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
ASL is cool because it's only 50% of a language. Written component is English.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

The same people who intentionally breed with other deafs to produce more deafs.

Look you stupid bastards you are not some enlightened master race of deaf people you're models that came off the factory floor with defects. Get the implant or hop in the oven with the rest of the invalids.
Skip to 1:44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFM2xZ7dytk

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Advertising Campaigns
The History Of Film Editing
Urban Ethnicity and Culture

They're all soft ball courses, so more annoying than anything. And film editing is there just to ensure I max out my post 9/11 bennies.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Remote sensing is cool as hell. I can't track down my :filez: copy of ArcGIS. :saddowns:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is that last one for real? I mean do you really have to educate engineers in basic social interaction?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Please post course material.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh. I was hoping the class involved practical exams like shaking hands or saying good morning to a woman without staring at her chest.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
English classes are definitely a case of "too little, too late" for a large majority of college students.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Most helpful classes I took were the following:

research writing
writing for PR & advertising
copywriting
excel/pivot table stuff
a math course

Go figure that being able to manipulate data, solve simple problems, and clearly write would be the most useful poo poo.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

go3 posted:

A basic finance class so they can come to the realization of what a giant waste of money it likely was

someone's waste of money. not mine

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

TheQuietWilds posted:

Being able to do basic poo poo in excel is indistinguishable in many workplaces from being a sorcerer. If you have a chance to use bennies to REALLY (and I mean REALLY) learn excel (or better yet SPSS/Stata) you will not regret it.

Excel's camera function blows my loving mind.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

The Rat posted:

Excel has a camera function?! :aaaaa:

Yes! Enable it through options. Google for the exact method.

I use it for data tables and high/low comparison pulls. All that poo poo gets camera'd to the client-facing excel tab, so whenever I'm providing analysis, I'll just hit refresh on the workbook and everything is all nice and updated.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My college has you beat by about a hundred or so. There is no drama because the vet population doesn't care enough to actively support a student veterans group.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh man my highly esteemed private university totally let me in because I was a vet. I am well aware of that.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Velociraptor you cis gently caress

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I keep it at home. Once I get a full-time position, it'll be going up.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
It'll be a fun game to see how I can explain what it is without someone taking me to HR.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Advertising students tend to be people who are too frightened to pursue film, creative writing, or straight up business degrees.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Mike-o posted:

I've been seriously considering going for a geology degree. Either that or computer sciences or some poo poo.

Do something with remote sensing. A. The work is cool and B. You'll make cool maps

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
If I had a do over, I'd go geography or enviro science.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Self-published dinosaur gay smut fiction

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Shim, have you considered dropping all of that tech gooey for a high-powered rhetoric degree?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm debating on spending the next week finishing out every assignment and paper due for the remainder of the quarter. If I do that, I can spend the next month on paid vacation.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Three weeks before I graduate, which means applications are going out loving fast starting tonight.

zeris, do you wanna start an ad agency? you can write copy and all the scripts

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Zeris posted:

Yeah, okay, and yeah, I am down. What are you gonna pay me

how does the occasional free potbelly's lunch sound?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

don't worry holly i know some good bridges you can live under

hey man thanks

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I wanna see her writings

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Skipped class to send out resumes and play Forza

:feelsgood:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

Anybody used one of the paper writing services before? Actual decent classes I give a poo poo about I'd write them myself, but this English 101 bullshit (rhetorical analysis, WOO!) is going to make me lose my loving mind with how terrible and pedantic it is.

Just do it yourself. Not worth getting busted for plagiarism.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
And if the guy has been reading your work, or will be, he might know that the paper isn't in your voice.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Helps explain the large Chinese student population at my college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I would like to suffer silently and alone in existential despair while on vacation to Aspen.

• Locked thread