Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What the gently caress? Why the poo poo do you want be on campus for a 3 day weekend?

I got way ahead on papers and reading for the semester :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Manual machining in general isn't that lucrative* but it's fun as hell.

*Exceptions include:
  • ones that require living on-site at a remote industrial operation
  • ones that require living on a ship
  • union jobs whose perks are rapidly evaporating along with the jobs themselves
  • some unicorn-rare prototyping or university machine shop jobs where some scientist needs a special aluminum flange or whatever made once in a while
  • gunsmithing, sometimes

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

NTT posted:

Yoga is actually pretty hard, and i ripped my pants

It's extremely hard for me, a guy who can't get his legs to spread to a 90° angle and, bending from the waist, can barely reach to mid-shin, and one of whose shoulders has the annoying habit of subluxing.

Wait no, it's easy, because there are so many poses that I can't even attempt that I'm limited to routines and classes "recommended for those with arthritis" and can stand out by literally standing without assistance.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
19 credit hours here.

At least two, maybe three of my classes are complete jokes (freshman core requirements that I'm taking late because I transferred), so I figured I wouldn't get a better opportunity to tack on an extra one.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm taking admiralty law, copyright, a prison reform seminar (have to write a 30 page paper for this), tax procedure, and sports law.

Ask your teachers when it is appropriate or advisable, as a sovereign citizen, to enter joinder with a law enforcement official of the United States.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Is that last one for real? I mean do you really have to educate engineers in basic social interaction?

The question is not "do you really have to" but "is it possible to"

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

holocaust bloopers posted:

or saying good morning to a woman without staring at her chest.

They save the most difficult stuff for advanced coursework.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I can't believe "don't cheat in school, it's a bad idea" is something that still needs to be said to someone who can form complete sentences.

e: I mean, especially for an easy class where all you need to do to get a good grade is (A) properly format your paper with the teacher's name and date and page numbers and poo poo and (B) don't loving plagiarize. You loving idiot.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 17, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

App13 posted:

I mean, my class was taught and aided in cheating for every exam in A-school and C-school, so you kind of get used to it. Not saying I've ever cheated in non-military school, but I could empathize.

I'm obviously not saying it's fine to cheat on tests, but papers are a whole different thing. Stuff you write in college sticks around for decades and gets dug up and reread for a variety of reasons. I'm leaving aside the whole ethical issue since clearly that isn't a problem for this idiot.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

the professor probably doesnt even read it; just makes sure you didnt type a single 5 page long sentence and gives you a random number between 70 and 100.

This may be true, but why are you even in school if you're not gonna do the work? If you enlisted, you won't convince anyone you're somehow "above" English 101 writing assignments.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Wants easy A yet wants to have someone else do the work.

Not the same guy.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Yeah, for some reason Word doesn't do MLA citations correctly. It gets you most of the way there, but then you have to disable updates and fix your bibliography , after which you can't use the citation feature because you'd have to re-enable updates and scrap all your manual corrections.

e: and since you should be updating your bibliography all the way through the writing process, this defeats the whole purpose of the software feature

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zeris posted:

Hi,

I come from the Land of Learning the Hard Way to tell you all that dating undergrads is always a bad idea, no matter how hot she is and no matter how unique the situation seems. Learn the hard way if you like, but don't say you weren't told.

I went on my first date with an undergrad last week. Will keep u posted

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Casimir Radon posted:

One of the girls on my team was telling us that her sister is on a study abroad down in South America, and keeps petting stray dogs, and not washing her hands afterwards, and stuff like that. So she's sick all the time and now needs to be debugged because she's got a bunch of fleas living on her.

lol

I mean, I pet strays too, that's what they're there for, but drat. My personal hygiene has never been bad enough that I picked up fleas even when I worked in an animal shelter. Getting sick is what people from first world countries do in South America, though, so I can't really begrudge her that.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Lol loving bottled water from the mini bar?

Water tastes better at a dollar an ounce.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

psydude posted:

Good luck getting a decent-paying engineering job after college without a co-op or internship.

Not many engineers graduate without at least one of those, though. Internships are integral to any professional program (engineering, business [lol], medicine, law) worth a drat.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Don't set out to be a "CNC machinist" if you want to make any money at all. "CNC machinists" more often than not are actually "operators," which involves a lot of watching tools stir coolant and not much analytical thought. By the nature of their job, CNC operators will dwindle as the robots they are assigned to monitor get better at monitoring themselves. CAD/CAM guys are usually called something different, and those jobs too are getting assigned more to engineers as the machines get vastly more capable and complicated. In my opinion, and I am aware that some people more qualified than me would disagree, the only sustainable machining career after 2020 is in small-lot and custom work, which relies on a broad knowledge base and rewards flexibility. Even for small-lot or one-off work CNC programming and setup is an essential skill*, but that alone won't get you very far.

*There are always exceptions. Most auto shops don't use CNC anything.

e: My opinion may be faintly colored by an aesthetic bias against CNC machining, but I think I gave the question a fair shake here.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 29, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Vasudus posted:

Pretty sure that's what my family friend does - he works in a small shop that does one-offs and prototypes for bigger firms. In his free time he does custom car parts. I don't know enough about the industry but it seems like he's making pretty nice cash, as are the apprentices he trains.

Yeah, it's nice work if you can get it. I'm actually going back to work as a machinist at a small local shop over my summer break. I was tempted last year to sell my old tools to fund a substantial car repair, and now I'm awfully glad I sold the car instead.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I try to keep my social life a complete mystery. All dates are off-campus and with people outside of my regular circle of friends. It's already a little awkward being 3-4 years older than everybody else—the last thing I need is some loving relationship drama at a small, fairly conservative college.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zeris posted:

A decent-paying summer internship at a startup wants a yes/no from me but I'm still interviewing at several other places and expecting a few offers. I wouldn't start at that internship until mid-May, so over a month out. Should I be selfish and just accept the offer now, and back out later if I get a better one? I already told the startup offer that I had some other stuff going on, but they still want a decision from me before I know all of my options.

So I can ask for more time to decide, and risk the offer being withdrawn. Or I can accept, and feel slightly bad about backing out if/when I get a better offer elsewhere; >2 weeks before my start date would be "fair" right?

There's nothing wrong with this particular offer or company, but I am more interested in some other places I have interviews with. I'm not sure what the appropriate level of honesty is here.

I have no idea how to civilian

Say yes, back out if somewhere else makes it worth your while. Hail capitalism.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mike-o posted:

the kids in my pre-algebra class are a bunch of morons

I'm shocked, shocked

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

ReverendCode posted:

You also will get a list of supplies that you can pick up for each term. I have so many $45 pencils you guys.

Something about this seems unethical.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Don't hold yourself to a higher standard than Haliburton IMO

It has to stop somewhere. The same shitbag who crows about scamming the government now because "Halliburton does it" will still be doing it in twenty years when he's working for Halliburton.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Since when is selling a textbook after you used it unethical? The text book industry is a huge scam anyhow. I don't think this guy was buying them, then turning around and selling them on the VA dime just to profit? That would be hosed up, but it's not even close to the impression that I'm getting from his post.

That's not the bit I quoted. I have no problem with selling your textbooks after you're done with them.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

referring more to spider-baby's post. I don't even know what a $45 pencil is.

Similar in principle to a $435 hammer, I imagine.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Meh, it depends really. Ethical is largely subjective to a certain point.

lol silly me I guess

Do people really believe this? Like, I can see line between ethical/unethical being "arguable" but at least most people agree that the line (A) exists, and (B) falls somewhere short of bragging about how you got away with bilking VR&E in exactly the same way that corrupt contractors do. Don't mean to get all judgmental or nothin'. I can't get worked up about petty fraud committed by pissants (I don't care one bit about drug tests for welfare recipients, for example). What really gets me is going to the Internet for validation.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Apr 10, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

There isn't a well defined ethical code for vet attending school on VOC Rehab that I'm aware of. If the program is designed in such a way that you are able to purchase 45$ pencils without an upper limit then outside of purchasing items strictly for resale it would seem you're OK. There is a pretty distinct difference between purchasing an expensive item to be used for your schooling and overcharging the government for an item that you purchased or manufactured for significantly less than you charged.

What do you think actually happens when a contractor overcharges the government? It's not just one guy applying a x10 multiplier to a spreadsheet column. In at least one place in the supply chain, there is a gigantic markup, but there's nothing to say that that markup occurs at the very end, at the point where the contractor bills the government. All the way along, there are unscrupulous or apathetic underlings who contribute to loving over everybody else who relies on the system. They either (A) have a huge budget, so they don't care about saving money or (B) know that the end of the supply chain has a huge budget, so they gouge prices.

All it takes is some nosy congressman grubbing for every cent he can redirect to the F-35 program in his home district to point out "hey, look at these $45 pencils! Here's a place where we can save the taxpayer money!" This happens time and time again. Frankly, I don't get it. You arent' selling the (theoretical) overpriced pencil, so you aren't getting rich off VR&E. All you get is a $4 pencil that somebody else overpaid for by 1000%. But you buy it anyway, transferring money from a great program for veterans to whom? Why?

(This is all assuming that the pencils are actually priced at $45, and he isn't pocketing any money, although that would make way more sense.)

You aren't less liable for perpetrating waste and abuse just because you don't personally benefit from it.

e:

Kawasaki Nun posted:

What is it that you think is the appropriate course of action in this scenario?

You can get a kickass drafting pencil for $5.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 10, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Those are fair points. Doesn't Voc Rehab involve meeting with a councilor fairly regularly about what you're doing and what you need to meet your employment goals? I would think they would also monitor your purchases that are funded through the program, and would be empowered to limit any sort of extravagant spending that's without purpose. This is conjecture on my part from what I understand of the program but in my opinion anything they approve for your spending is fair game. :shrug:

That's just offloading integrity onto the guy who's supposed to be in charge, which is just so goddamn typical of the military. I hope everybody enjoyed their SHARP briefings, this is how we got them.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kawasaki Nun posted:

My point however was that there are various levels of budgetary monitoring and approval specifically to prevent the kind of scenario you dreamed up from occurring.

Ah yes, the Todd Akin Theory.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

Hypothetical question.

So, you all are aware of my plans to go to San Diego, attend college, and get a BA in video edit or some poo poo right?

I've just been told that I have an inside hook up at a government forestry position but it's in Atlanta. I'm not sure how much it pays, but how much would it have to be to tempt you to forgo going somewhere and doing something you want to do? I think it's gonna be about 1k a week in this real scenario and what it will actually pay.

do what ur heart tells u~

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
hahaha look at these freaking idiots "almost" getting straight As

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Was on an "academic retreat" to the beach this weekend with a Marine reservist and ten single 20-year-old women. Intelligent, earnest, built like a brick wall—and holy poo poo he would not shut up about the Marines. I understand pushing every advantage you've got, but for the only other person on the trip with any idea what the difference between the services were, hearing him explain that how the "expeditionary mission" of the Marines makes them basically special forces got pretty annoying by the third time. He also made me feel like a weenie when he took his shirt off.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

sup blue squares

I think if I were blue squares they'd all somehow be topless and horny

e: and I wouldn't be rendered impotent by the sight of Fridge Largemeat's mountainous traps

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 13, 2016

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Soulex posted:

You take one good loving look at a pudgy Chris Pratt wearing American Flag bathing suit that's just a little too small and tell me that you would not gently caress him.

if the guy who takes his shirt off in sweaty long-takes to get snatch in the seats for a sci-fi Marvel movie is the standard for "dad bod" then I am without hope

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Zeris posted:

loving lol

I guess that's an answer to the thread title

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
You know you're in a good writing course when the professor writes "ethically positive" instead of "ethical."

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

psydude posted:

You're already seeking advice from people on this forum, aren't you? Modern distance learning is just as good, if not better, than standard classroom learning because you can adapt it to your schedule.

trying to find the University of Phoenix brochure this is from

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Vasudus posted:

Think of them as junior professional organizations. You pay them their dues that they squander, you get some minor networking opportunities. It's probably crap! But what if it's not.

Are you serious with this poo poo? No, it's not worth it. It's never worth it. We're not talking Phi Beta Kappa here, these are just stupid little money holes that no one cares about, not even the people who paid their dues. Just Google some of these organizations and most of the results will be "is X a scam?" No one asks that about real honors societies. There are real, widely recognizaed professional organizations for undergrads like ASME.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
luckily I could think critically and knew what an adverb was already so I felt pretty confident testing out of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

elite_garbage_man posted:

holy gently caress this intro to anthropology class has more reading than any cs or math class I've ever taken.

lol

• Locked thread