Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I have three semesters left at this place. Still debating whether to continue on with grad school or not.
On a side note, the vets are getting antsy and have been posting non-stop facebook drama. First, some dude decided that our treasurer was a war criminal or something and posted some youtube videos he had made like 8 years ago. So the treasurer resigned. Then the board of the group went to a Hillary rally, and people got really pissed off because it seems partisan or something. Now, we're set to have some elections at the end of the month. Dudes are complaining about all sorts of petty poo poo on Facebook and everyone else is collectively facepalming.

This is what happens when you give enlisted people freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Well, the bomb throwers in the Columbia veterans group won; last night the president and vice president resigned because they said mean things about people in a private chat. Now we have a safe space. For vets.

Also, we have an insanely expensive ball coming up next month and, from my vantage point, nobody directing it. Good job Teahadists.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Currently taking 18 credits because I'm stupid as gently caress

-Physics
-Global econ.
-Iran (Zeris is in this too)
-Middle East history
-Calc I
-loving THEATER

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Tell them your theories about the gold fringe on the flag

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Oh hey, here's a summary of our hilarious vet group

http://columbiaspectator.com/news/2...paign=8e4918fd8

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

DownByTheWooter posted:

milvets ball

ew ew ew ew

It's actually really fun

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

TheQuietWilds posted:

I'm sorta surprised by all that drama at Columbia. At Penn the veterans group is like 5 people who send annoying emails but never actually meet up. I'm not sure how Columbia got such a relatively large Vet population - they're similar size/prestige schools, in large NE cities. Penn seems more pre-professional focused, but I would think would be appealing to the GI-bill set.

Like, here's a link to the Penn Veterans association that I found on the student services page:
http://upennveterans.org/

We have over 400 undergrad vets. It's a ridiculously big population. Columbia also has a strong pre-professional focus, and I think that it contributes to some of the douchebaggery that goes on. The vet group receives very little money from the school, yet rakes in tons of donor cash. I think our budget last year was in the neighborhood of $65,000, almost all of it from donors. As such, board members are interfacing with important donor companies (Goldman Sachs, Google, Oliver Wyman, etc) on a regular basis, and some of the real ladder-climbers really want that face time with those kinds of companies. That can lead to animosity, and the eventual dysfunctional douchebaggery that we saw here.

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 5, 2016

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

Most vets I know here have 100% GI bill and seem to not know what to do with their extra money.

This is true. Even with regular spending habits you can save up a ton of money while you're here.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
You probably heard about that big science discovery today. The one about gravitational waves or whatever

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/us/gravitational-waves-feat/index.html

I'm taking a physics class with one of the researchers, Marka Szabolcs. He's pretty cool.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
The Boren is legit. When I was in Tajikistan studying language, there were a handful of Boren selectees among us. They were some very smart cookies and several already had job placements for their payback tour.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

SnarkyHipster posted:

Anyone have any advice for a 28 year old enlisted Marine vet begining the MBA application process? I'm looking at applying to a top 20 or so program and I'm trying to see how I should frame my veteran (enlisted) status in the application, and which schools might throw me a bone. All of the veteran info/network for MBAs out there seems to be directed almost entirely towards the All-American WASPY Academy fighter pilot/ranger guys, and not so much the tattooed, inbred GED waiver door knob licker types. For example, I dropped by a veteran networking event at Harvard/MIT and the retired General hosting the event did the whole "all my academy guys raise their hands, all my ROTC guys raise their hands, etc. etc." and out of the 20+ people there, I was literally the only one who had to sit there with my hands in my lap; Everyone then looked at me like I was an alien when I had to explain I was enlisted.

I enlisted after high school, then went to undergrad, and have been doing software consulting for the last two years. My relatively young age and recent civilain experience almost seems to make me more of traditional MBA candidate compared to the officers and senior enlisted that seem to make up the majority of veterans in these programs, and only have Uncle Sam on their resume. Anyone been through the process or have some suggestions?

Sign up for Service2School and get connected with one of their MBA ambassadors. http://service2school.org/groups/mba-ambassadors/
Most of the guys are former officers, but there are a handful of enlisted guys who could help you out.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I just applied to switch over to voc rehab from post 9/11. The best part? If you're at an expensive school, they cover the entire cost of tuition.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
USD is a legitimate school. It's probably #2 in the area (behind UCSD), though it definitely excels in some fields. Also, the campus is absolutely beautiful and has a great view of the city.

Edit: Where are you seeing that USD is for-profit? Everything I'm reading says that it's private, not-for profit.

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 5, 2016

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ptolemaeus posted:

Just got my early drop for university packet approved, acceptance letter from George Washington U, and just finished ACAP/TAPS, freedom is so close. Can't wait to be billy Madison after this 6 and some change year "adventure."

Solid. GWU is a good school.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Well guys, I've got an interview tomorrow with AEI for an internship in their Iran Studies department. For a former neocon thinktank, their scholars produce some decent scholarship on Iran and the greater region.
I'm just glad that someone is considering entrusting me with some actual academic work. You know, more than just crayons, fingerpaint, and safety scissors. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Thanks guys. I just got off the hook with the interviewer, and I think it went quite well. She was very interested in hearing about my work with EFPs and finance networks during my 06-07 deployment, as well as my current language skills. She was even interested in my involvement in the little Iranian students association here at Columbia. AEI is actually working on some really cool projects, including summary analysis of the Iranian defense acquisition process using primary materials (in Farsi). If you're not a turbo-nerd like me, this probably doesn't sound very exciting, but as someone who takes this subject very seriously, the prospect of doing this kind of stuff is thrilling.

Still, I'll probably lose out to some prep school kid with connections to Cheney, but it's nice to know that they are at least interested in my unique skills and experiences.

EDIT: I should add that it was a very free-form interview. Didn't get asked any retarded questions about my weaknesses or times I faced adversity or anything like that. It was refreshingly honest.

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 6, 2016

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

Deathy, are going to fix the Middle East?

If I can't fix it, I'll sure as gently caress profit from it

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
I got an email from DoS: they passed my internship application over to the US embassy in Kazakhstan, and they thought it would be a good fit. After exchanging a few emails with the section head, we agreed to Skype this morning and talk about the position. The overall impression I got was that while I might not be doing the most exciting work, it's real-world and (hopefully) meaningful. The guy made sure to impress upon me the fact that they treat their interns pretty much like an FSO, so their housing is great, their responsibilities are reasonably big, and expectations are fairly high. Honestly, that's pretty appealing.

Anyway, I told the guy I was interested, and he said that he would run it by the boss and probably have a conditional offer by the end of the week. An hour after we finished talking, I got an email back saying, "Immediate yes from the section head. Consider this an offer for the fall."

So that's cool :)

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 13, 2016

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It's just State homie. It's like the polar opposite of being a super spy who later becomes the president.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

isnt khazakstan the place with the weird cult of personality dictatorship?

You're thinking of Turkmenistan.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Awwww, I want a job in Central Asia.

Deathy was it you who posted the picture from Tajikistan a while back? That would make sense anyway.

This one?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

I think it was another one, don't remember exactly. What were you doing there?

I was doing language study. Do you remember what the subject matter was?

Wait, I know the one. Hold on.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

Ok. Do you just learn Persian and then go try to learn the differences in Tajiki? Or are there actually learning materials?

We were there to learn Persian. There aren't many places in the world that you can go for Persian immersion since, you know, Iran isn't too fond of us. But it was a good experience.

You were thinking about that picture of the dude filling up the car's gas tank with the dude smoking next to him? That's pure Central Asia.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Nice.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

at the date posted:

hahaha look at these freaking idiots "almost" getting straight As

I miss those days :(
Nowadays, I have to hustle hard just to get an A-. If I get an actual A, it's through sheer luck.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
One of my boots asked if he could attend Ranger school because he loved the gently caress out of those videos. He never went.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Finally got approved for voc rehab :gary:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV9AuJEgvOs

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
That's not me, though I wish it was :sigh:

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Mike-o posted:

i still love you :glomp:

Thanks bae

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Gotten almost all my grades back. One A, three A-, one P (in a class that I legitimately thought I failed) and one class left to grade.

Feels good bros :)

Time Crisis Actor fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 20, 2016

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

holocaust bloopers posted:

Did any of you war criminals walk during radiation? My school fedex'ed my degree so that's all I need.

Planning on it. I even have my graduation beer picked out - http://blog.samueladams.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-2013-release-of-utopias/

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Because Utopias is the greatest beer that has ever been brewed. It's also like $200 a bottle.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
F-F-Fist Fakku-san.... :(

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Not a Step posted:

Ive been thinking about getting a masters in public policy/policy administration. I finished a BA in econ from a decent college last year, but I had fun times with depression throughout and only managed a 2.8 GPA. I took the GREs last year though and did well. Ive been holding down a crap data analyst job for the past year to bring in money and have something to do while my wife climbs her career ladder, but Im getting restless and would like to do more. Given that I has six years of Navy, great GREs, and a year of post BA employment, how screwed am I with the GPA?

These guys can give you a better answer than any of us illiterate fuckos http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/11-government-affairs/

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Cross-posted from SAL:

I'm entering my last year of undergrad, and I've been doing pretty well. I've fulfilled all of my core requirements and nearly all of my major requirements, so I figured that it would be a good time to start tailoring my coursework towards graduate schools - specifically MPA/MPP programs. I'm a Middle East Studies major, which gives me a language and some polisci focus, and I've spent quite a bit of time abroad because I was enlisted swine. Although I have almost no math background, I have a few other quantitative classes on my transcript; Intro stats, macroeconomics, and global economics. Math scares me, so I really want to avoid taking math if I can help it. Stats doesn't scare me as much, so I was considering taking a next-level stats class like "Applied statistical methods" or linear regression. Unfortunately, I have no idea how difficult those would be for a math dummy like me. Does anyone have any insight? Can you do linear regression without, say, calculus? Or, would it be better to avoid that entirely and take, say, intermediate macro and/or micro?

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Vasudus posted:

I took five semesters of statistics. I am a loving moron at algebra and I was able to pass them easily.

If you do any sort of statistical analysis ever, linear regression is the hammer in your toolbox of methods.

Pick one statistical program: SAS, SPSS or Stata. Get good at it, and use the other ones once or twice so you're at least halfway familiar with it.

Got it. I looked around some more and found that the school offers classes in the poli sci department that are essentially data analysis and statistics for idiots, complete with programming in STATA. They seem like a good fit + not too hard.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
You could be like Nate Boyer and make the NFL
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/enterprise-boyer160615/why-former-texas-longhorn-seattle-seahawk-green-beret-stop-searching

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
It looks like I might be able to graduate a semester early :yaycloud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Pesticide20 posted:

I had my dick art criticised today and was told that I need to make the second panel look more like a dick. This has to be the best art class. Also, I showed off the dick art book and it got a lot of positive feedback. My teacher thinks it's something that I should pursue more lol

:perfect:

• Locked thread