Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Starting school next Tuesday in the Western side of MA. Starting off with two classes since I'm still working full time and I haven't been in a (non military) classroom in 13 years.

Already felt like Billy Madison when I went to register for classes.

Looking forward to intro to programming and Latin American cultural studies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Naked Bear posted:

Most everyone at this school is super duper helpful to work with, with the exception of the administrators. Eat all the dicks, administrators, and learn to loving read.

That's the weirdest part for me. After dealing with the military for so long it's absolutely amazing to have people who are actually willing to help.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Day three of into to programming, and the teacher asks us if everyone downloaded calico and Python. This 18 year old kid raises his hand, and said he tried googling it, but was only getting pictures of snakes. I loving wish he was joking, but he wasn't.

He then proceeded to ask his lab partner if he wanted to listen to his video game music on his phone.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I'm only doing one class on campus this semester, and it's coding. Butt peepage levels are critically low.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Update:

Calico-Python kid won't stop talking about anime during lab. Having said that, he's definitely got some rain man poo poo going on with moments of pure brilliance.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

So if half+7 isn't a whole year, can you round down? This is important.

Yeah man, hit slit never quit.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

This is pretty much my thoughts on the matter, I was just joking cause I've turned 29 now so 21 is no longer technically half+7.

Nothing wrong with that. If I was single I don't think I'd dip below 21 though.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Meh.

At least they're outside getting exercise and fresh air sometimes. More than can be said for nursing students.

You should see some of the guys going for CS/IT degrees.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Why wouldn't you just CLEP Eng 101? I know the first try is free for active / reserves, but don't vets still get at least a discount? You only need like a 50 to pass and get credit too on most of them.

That's my plan this summer. Knocking out as many CLEPs as I can between the spring and fall semesters so I don't have to wade through bullshit classes and waste benefit months, since I'm working full time and only able to take a few classes at once.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Just take a line from Idiocracy and call everyone 'particular individuals'. That movie hit too many nails on the drat head and it scares the poo poo out of me.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
I got around 26 accepted by my university. Mostly managerial stuff and the PT stuff, along with first year seminar freshman bullshit classes they require you to take. This is from an AF SNCO perspective though so ymmv.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

App13 posted:

The kid who sleeps all the time in calc just woke up and started asking "deep and complex" questions that were all answered during the first week of class.

"But WHY is d/dx [c] always 0? What is the importance of 0? I'm sorry if that's too deep a question."

Well because it's a horizontal line and that's what the slope is. Which is why the professor drew a graph with a horizontal line on it.

The kid that is either talking about anime or sleeping in my class fell asleep at the end of it. Everyone filed out while a few of us just sat there laughing and waiting for him to wake up.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
This thread finally got me to jump the gun on picking up vet plates. Well that, plus the fact that I just picked up a WRX, which seems to be the most common car for speeding tickets in the US (not even remotely surprised).

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Soulex posted:

Mou' feels

FTFY

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Mike-o posted:

Yeah you guys were right, holy gently caress there's some dumb loving people in college. This one dude keeps on making dumb remarks about how he doesn't get it and it's stupid in my Pre-Algebra class because i'm a dumb dumb and need remedial classes. But he's even dumber than me, like god drat i haven't done this poo poo for 12 years and I'm picking it up quick as gently caress.

This. I have a hard time believing how retarded some of these people are. And as for stressing, I hear ya. When I first started back up I took an online class about Latin American culture, and we have to do a weekly essay 2-3 pages as well as reply to a discussion post every week. I stressed hard about that first essay and put a ton of effort into it, getting an A in the end. I slowly over the course of the class put less and less effort in seeing what the teachers threshold was for dipping below an A- and I still haven't found it yet.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Grem posted:

Your girl gets Mike-O off on the regular, don't worry.

:boom: Fuckin' A.

sidenote: just registered for the fall. 11 credits and working full time is going to be a mother fucker, but I'm going to have to suck it up if I want to finish school on Uncle Sam's dime.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Lol if you're not graduating next month.

It's even worse than that. I'm still in (the reserves).

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Kawasaki Nun posted:

mmm April snowstorm, time to say gently caress school!!!

You scared me, I think MA is finally past the hump with the weather finally being a consistent 60+.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Why not just CLEP that poo poo if you don't think you need a refresher? It's free for us anyways. Also, khan academy is the awesome for brushing up on math skills.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Anyone remember when book money gets sent?

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Justin Tyme posted:

anyone ever feel like you're a criminal when all your grants and stipends and allowances come in? :smugdog:

all my friends are always crying about loan burden and being strapped for cash and constantly being stressed, feels good man

Nope. Just got my book money today too.

Thanks G Dubbs.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

TheQuietWilds posted:

My life is going to be poo poo otherwise, but hey.

I hear ya. I'm closing on a house a week from today and starting classes 5 days a week the Monday afterwards. Only 11 credits between 3 classes, but also working full time. My life is about to become insanely busy.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Genocide Tendency posted:

I use to work with a guy who was a retired AF officer that said something to the effect that enlisted didn't earn their benefits.

Sounds like a nonner.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Last semester I had anime kid falling asleep whenever he wasn't talking about goku or whatever the gently caress. This time around I watched a kid spit into his hand and start rubbing it into his finger that he was playing with the entire class. Day one of fall semester. It's going to be interesting to say the least.

Edit:
And I'm not talking hand to mouth spit into it, like 8-9 inches below dropped a wad of spit into his hand and I was the only one in a position to view it happening.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Spent 50 minutes watching a kid in the front row of class pick his nose and eat it. Front row right in front of a lecturing teacher.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Justin Tyme posted:

How do I go about using the GI Bill to get a new computer? I recall someone mentioning something about it once. My laptop is a piece of poo poo that takes a good ten minutes to turn on and I'd like a new one.

I'm pretty sure it's Voc Rehab that does that, not the GI Bill.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
We've been doing powerpoint presentations in my predominantly freshman intro to computing class this week. The army ROTC kid's was titled Military Technology: Aircraft. Wasn't bad until it got to the slide that had the dates for milestones in aircraft tech. Apparently the first military cargo plane came into existence in 2007, and no aircraft had rockets until 2003.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
Speaking of coding, my data structures final is Thursday. This class has been brutal while working full time, and the cumulative final has me trying to memorize run times for so god drat many things. I will be extremely happy when this 'weed out' class is over with in two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug
79 on my cumulative data structures final and I'm happy with it. It's really weird not having anything to do all morning until January.

• Locked thread