Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I have another two semesters at CSU before I'm done. I actively avoid the student veterans lounge other than to rapidly use their microwave for my lunch. It's full of all the standard issue student veteran stereotypes, and they all mean mug anyone who walks in. I cannot be loving arsed. If I were the type to get along with the standard veteran, I'd still be in the Army. All the stories about how they got drunk and tried to burn down a bar across the border in Mexico, etc, I'm loving over it.

But then again I'm massively misanthropic and hate everyone, so this shouldn't really be a surprise.

The highest compliment a classmate ever gave me was that she never thought I was a veteran before I told her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh hey here's something for the thread. Back in 2008, my school vets lounge had a meet and greet thing, and as a means of getting us to talk to each other, they handed out these "social bingo" papers.

Humanity continues to fill me with inarticulate disgust.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It'd be nice if there were still plentiful jobs for BETSS-C/GBOSS stuff.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I had a bunch of fun FOB-hopping and fixing them!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

12 credits.
Business Info Systems
Marketing
Advanced Accounting
Auditing

And I have an internship starting today. It's a good thing my computer is too old for XCOM2, because I'd have no time for it anyways. :suicide:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

Excel's camera function blows my loving mind.

Excel has a camera function?! :aaaaa:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

elite_garbage_man posted:

Dude I'd do the same poo poo. I know I've cursed at a teacher or two since getting out for being disrespectful assholes, and plenty of students on campus for being assholes too. It's more of a problem in the lower level and/or remedial classes than the others.

You guys are giving too many fucks. Who cares what some pearl-clutching undergrads or profs think, as long as you can get your homework done?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I'm an accounting student currently. Done at the end of this year. I just like hiking/shooting a lot and I have almost 0 social life, so I do it a lot.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

3 years of contracting, yeah. My first attempt at college didn't take since even though I had good grades, I didn't know what the hell I wanted to major in. Went contracting rather than spin my wheels and burn my GI bill.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

It's giving a gently caress in a different kind of way. By giving no fucks, I mean expending no mental/emotional energy towards it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That sounds like the vag equivalent of a soul patch.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Mike-o posted:

So far we're just going over visual characteristics of different minerals, with a test in two weeks. Density, hardness, cleavage (lol), metallic/non-metallic, etc. We're using a little box of minerals with some glass and porcelain to test with and figure out those characteristics to help us figure out which one is which. So far I can already easily tell things like pyrite, magnetite, gypsum, graphite, galena. So essentially I'm learning basics for now.

I took Geology class because I was one science credit short, and the advisor said it was the easiest. It ended up being really cool and I enjoyed it quite a bit. All of my road trips to national parks since then have basically been geology field trips. Except, y'know, with an AK.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I agree.

You can delay for time and let other companies know about the offer in hopes of hurrying them, but don't accept then back out.

Agree, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Veterans are the worst FYI

It's true. One of my first remedial math classes had a guy with one of those leather biker vests, along with a big 82nd patch on the back, actual pin-on CIB and jump wings on the front, etc, etc. It was pretty disgusting.

Dude was dumb as a box of rocks, too.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

App13 posted:

I will not step foot into the vet center/lounge unless I need to for paperwork reasons. The crowd that hangs out there is hilariously terrible.

Same. I have a routine. I go in, throw my food in the microwave, set for 2 minutes and walk out to go take a piss. By the time I'm done, I walk back in and the microwave is within 5 seconds of beeping.

At my school it's a combined veterans and adult learners lounge, so you have both vets and oddball older people who are hanging out. Anyone walking in gets mean mugged by the vets immediately. The conversation I overhear is either some spergy poo poo, or some THIS ONE TIME IN FALLUJAH nonsense.

I wasn't even that way when I first got out and tried going back to school. Where do guys get this mentality from?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

That VA program.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Here's a dumb GI bill issue for Vasudus, etc.

This coming fall is my last semester of college. My Post 9/11 GI bill should be exhausted by the end of it, as far as I'm tracking. However, I only need 9 credits to finish. Down side is they're all hard courses (capstone, govt accounting, tax accounting), and staying at only 9 credits would mean I wouldn't get full GI Bill benefits. I'll also still be working an internship at the time.

My current options are:

A) Do the necessary school paperwork to make the internship count as 3 credits rather than getting paid, thus bumping me up to full time status. (The internship currently pays $12/hr and I'm getting about $250 every two weeks for the amount of work that I can fit around my class schedule)
B) Take some easy elective to round out 12 credits.
C) Just take the 9 credits and take the part time hit on the GI Bill.

If I only take part time GI Bill next semester, will that exhaust it completely, or will there still be some funds left in case I later want to take more classes?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Oh huh, didn't realize that about the burn rate and such. Thanks! :tipshat:

Gotta start looking for easy classes now.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Maybe you weren't, how shall we say, friendly enough for them?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

App13 posted:

I have July and August off with no classes and no job lined up. I have plenty of money, but what the gently caress should I do to pass the time?

Road trip and see awesome national parks all over the place. That's what I did last summer.

E: if you sleep in your car or use a tent on campgrounds, you can do it for super loving cheap. I was only paying for gas and food.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 9, 2016

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Hahahahahaha what the gently caress. 3 A's and an A- in auditing. Thought for sure that was going to be a B. :catdrugs:

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

DownByTheWooter posted:

nobody at my school has ever once questioned the classes I chose before certifying them

take a burner and get full time, dude

Yeah that's what I'm doing this fall. Only need 3 classes to graduate, so I'm taking a burner History 100 class to bump it to 12 credits.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Booblord Zagats posted:

Utah is better. Like all around except semi-lovely liquor laws

I don't drink, so that would be a nonissue to me. It's just the people in Utah being so weird that keeps me from hopping the border over. But I think I've mentioned that before in here.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

I do mine in the breaks between classes so that I don't have as much when I get home. gently caress I can't wait for this semester to be over so that I can be done with this college poo poo.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Pure poetry.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

TBeats posted:

Accounting is hard

Another month and I'm done. gently caress going for the CPA though, I have a local job lined up already and I'd rather not be miserable working for a firm during tax season. (Or as one of my profs called it, "opportunity season." I was laughing madly at that, but somehow I was the only one in the class to do so.)

I'm legit leaning towards buying a M82A1 CQ as a graduation present to myself. 90% due to The Accountant.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah intermediate is where poo poo starts getting real.

What worked for me was doing the practice problems over and over until I really had the mechanics down. This also entailed acquiring solutions manuals, not to cheat with, but to check my work. That way, if my answer was off, I could generally backtrack my way through the problem and figure out where I went wrong. Probably 80% of the time, it's because I skimmed the question and missed something crucial.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

My govt accounting prof is one of the laziest I've ever had, but luckily this translated into him deciding to not give us the final. Whew!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Grades posted for HIST 100, to include the final exam. 100.4%. :toot:

Now just one more final on Weds and I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

2 A's, A-, A+. Final semester. Puts my overall GPA in the bracket for "cum laude" designation. Not sure if that's worth anything more than a bad joke or two.

• Locked thread