Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
about? Like subterranean oil fish or something? I mean, it's both an energy source and a liquid medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt

Can you imagine the dead oil fish littering used wells? Entire ecosystems being destroyed so we can drive to McDonald and get fat.

----------------

drilldo squirt

I guess that will be their revenge on us. We will kill ourselves with the things we gained from killing them.

----------------

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
there are ghosts that live in that oil, thats what oil is

SIDS Vicious

the ghost sof dinosaurs ooooOOOOOooooooOOOOOooooo ROAR

wow that was an old sig lol
chec k out my drawings the sidsons :)

drilldo squirt

If oil comes from dinosaurs we should clone some bury them and then check on it in a couple years to make oil a renewable resource.

----------------

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Oil actually comes from decaying plant matter from the carboniferous period of geologic history, long before dinosaurs, during the age of reptiles when large, swampy forests covered the earth. All of the plants were related to ferns, and they spored instead of producing seeds. Predominant animal life included giant insects and four legged reptiles.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
they were really dirty nasty greasy creatures, just shambled around glistening with grease, left trails of grease behind them. I'm not sure if we want to bring back such a disgusting creature.

mags

Covering for sec drone is kinda fun.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
scientists think dinosaurs had really bad acne

mags

Correction, amphibians were the dominant land animal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboniferous

drilldo squirt

I don't know what kind of thing we need to bury in the ground so that our lord God can turn it into oil but let's find out and do it!

----------------

mags

...but we already know...

drilldo squirt

What is it? I have a hole dug and bad credit card debt.

----------------

drilldo squirt

Question, do I have to kill them first or can I just throw them in the ditch and let nature take it's course? Which makes more expensive oil?

----------------

mags

I just told you. Dead ferns from over 285 million years ago.

alnilam

woah what if like.,. the oil itself is still alive?? the algae and ferns found a new level of consciousness and ascended into the gooey black

ty manifisto

drilldo squirt

That would be super hosed up dude, can you imagine what it would be like to loose a little part of yourself every day? I'm getting uncomfortable just thinking about it.

----------------

Manifisto

*gazes wistfully at hairs in comb*

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

"Childhood's End" but about algae, and the sequel is them getting burned and loving up the planet

joke_explainer

A really good question and really considerate. It's the kind of perspective change that you don't hear about a lot. There are few things as extensively studied with mad commercial dollars as crude oil up out of the ground, and we don't really see any sign of a complex ecosystem. Your basic subterranean crude reservoir is the result of layers of sediment cracking, where the sediment has sandwiched dead biomatter and cooked it under pressure and heat for ages. The layers crack and a 'trap' is formed, where there's a high-pressure pooling of the crude oil. As far as we can tell, it's not conducive to life, at least not any kind of multicellular life, and no single-celled organisms seem able to break it down at the temperatures and pressures you find in a natural reservoir. For non-bacteria life, there's basically two paths to energy: The bacteria specialization that gave rise to plants and the bacteria specialization that gave rise to animals. Bacteria are nowhere near as limited and have hundreds of different ways of metabolising stuff. So if there was any kind of ecosystem in an petroleum reservoir it'd be bacteria, but I don't think we have any evidence of any thriving colonies down there (It'd be pretty obvious if there was something as big as fish or something was coming up the wells, it'd violently explode because of the sudden and catastrophic drop in pressure!)

drilldo squirt

Yeah but if their was evidence of that would the oil companies tell people?

----------------

joke_explainer

drilldo squirt posted:

Yeah but if their was evidence of that would the oil companies tell people?

I don't know. But there's plenty of well-documented oil drilling and analysis, and you've no doubt seen open wells that just spewed their contents around after tapping like you see in old videos of the oil rush, and scientific, non-corporate sponsored oil drilling even. Plus the damage they could do to their competitors if they were to reveal it. Given the probably-billions of oil reservoirs around the planet it would be a very difficult secret to keep.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

mister magpie posted:

Covering for sec drone is kinda fun.

mister magpie posted:

Correction, amphibians were the dominant land animal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carboniferous

i stand by my greasy dinaosaurs

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

joke_explainer posted:

A really good question and really considerate. It's the kind of perspective change that you don't hear about a lot. There are few things as extensively studied with mad commercial dollars as crude oil up out of the ground, and we don't really see any sign of a complex ecosystem. Your basic subterranean crude reservoir is the result of layers of sediment cracking, where the sediment has sandwiched dead biomatter and cooked it under pressure and heat for ages. The layers crack and a 'trap' is formed, where there's a high-pressure pooling of the crude oil. As far as we can tell, it's not conducive to life, at least not any kind of multicellular life, and no single-celled organisms seem able to break it down at the temperatures and pressures you find in a natural reservoir. For non-bacteria life, there's basically two paths to energy: The bacteria specialization that gave rise to plants and the bacteria specialization that gave rise to animals. Bacteria are nowhere near as limited and have hundreds of different ways of metabolising stuff. So if there was any kind of ecosystem in an petroleum reservoir it'd be bacteria, but I don't think we have any evidence of any thriving colonies down there (It'd be pretty obvious if there was something as big as fish or something was coming up the wells, it'd violently explode because of the sudden and catastrophic drop in pressure!)

in the idea that everything has a soul, spirit or connection with the universal unconscious is it not reasonable to assume that there are ghosts in oil or that oil is ghosts, as everything that has passed is ghosts or an echo of the life that once lived there?

drilldo squirt

If that's true then everything would be haunted and I don't notice a lot of ghosts.

----------------

i am he

thats because my cars eats them up and spits them out to make me go fast

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

drilldo squirt posted:

If that's true then everything would be haunted and I don't notice a lot of ghosts.

everything is haunted :shrug:

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

i am he posted:

thats because my cars eats them up and spits them out to make me go fast

your car eats the ghosts by exploding them

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

joke_explainer posted:

if there was something as big as fish or something was coming up the wells, it'd violently explode because of the sudden and catastrophic drop in pressure!

story of my life

drilldo squirt

Ghost world.

----------------

SIDS Vicious

love that comic the movie was okay, steve buscemi was brilliant

wow that was an old sig lol
chec k out my drawings the sidsons :)

drilldo squirt

Ghost oil fish swimming around in the blackness of a dried out well are real.

----------------

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is, also, why I use my thighs to make a bicycle go.

also, food tastes better than gasoline and I like to eat.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

drilldo squirt

osirisisdead posted:

this is, also, why I use my thighs to make a bicycle go.

also, food tastes better than gasoline and I like to eat.

Yeah, but can you bike across town for a job every day? Plus I would rather deal with vengeful ghost oil fish than vengeful ghost burgers.

----------------

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
My job right now is about a mile away because I make comprimises in the rest of my life to go with my desire to cycle commute rather than to get in a loving car to join your stupid rat race every day.

I hate cars and wish we would ban them in cities so that fat faggots would have to not sit in their fatmobiles behind their tinded windows and instead be visible to the universe wherever they shall go. gently caress your fatmobiles.

----------------

drilldo squirt

osirisisdead posted:

My job right now is about a mile away because I make comprimises in the rest of my life to go with my desire to cycle commute rather than to get in a loving car to join your stupid rat race every day.

I hate cars and wish we would ban them in cities so that fat faggots would have to not sit in their fatmobiles behind their tinded windows and instead be visible to the universe wherever they shall go. gently caress your fatmobiles.

I hate them also.

----------------

i am he

if i make the ghosts comfy they make cool engine revving nioses when there are cuties walking by

drilldo squirt

Driving sucks.

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like to ride my bicycle. It allows me to eat ghost burgers and pizza without worrying that my heart will forget how to pump blood.

----------------

• Locked thread