Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Holy poo poo, this Hodgepodge encounter is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
One-breath-rant Griffin is the best, but God bless truly exasperated Justin.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Griffin, you're my brother and I love you, but if I can't use my History skill to answer a question in the game that involves history, then what the gently caress are we even doing here!? This is Calvinball!

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Well, now I'm just sad.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Not my all time favorite ep, but God
drat - mushroom movies and Travis's SJW moment had me laughing with tears in my eyes.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
"3 slizzies and a scoopa"

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Are we actually gift horsing that the creator of the biggest show on Broadway is shouting out three brothers from West Virginia for shits and giggles?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/728754388781535232

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
A very small thing, but Travis's little "m-hms" when his brothers are talking just tickle me. It's like a little Bryan Fellowes moment before he launches into his contribution.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
There are few things more frightening in the moment, and more exhilarating after the fact, than feeling like you'll pass out if you don't stop laughing.

drat you, Monster Factory. Thank you, Monster Factory.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If by rough, you mean fantastic. Audience questions only exist to give fodder, and that one about the best friend of the ex-boyfriend of the whatever the gently caress was the best fodder one could hope for.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I think Dwight's gaining the weight that Justin's losing. :(

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

dijon du jour posted:

I tried listening to all the MBMBAM episodes in reverse order and I gave up a little after episode 100.
It may be just me but as you go back I noticed a gradual decrease in jokes and an increase in extremely boring, serious reader questions that the brothers try to answer seriously for god knows what reason.
Over time I think Travis got better at picking questions that they could goof on, because thankfully after a certain point up to today the episodes are funny all the way through.

Different strokes, I guess. The first episode has the question about the guy whose friend moved across the country and was relying on him for social interaction. First time I had trouble breathing listening to the show, right out the gate

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Travis plays well with others. The improv classes have really paid off.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Justin's sincere sadness at Ren's reaction to him trying to banish her :smith:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Listening to Travis on Jordan Jesse Go. Holy poo poo, guys. Let the motherfucker talk--he's the guest on your show.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Silentman0 posted:

In the last Cool Games Inc. they were joking about Sega still owning the rights to the Crazy Taxi soundtrack and uhm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLu3ZGkCOKU

ALL JUSTICE!

Also, Justin's the best brother. Griffin's funniest across all media. Travis is the quickest. Justin's goofball sincerity just makes me happy.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I'm anxious about what happens if someone retweets a piece of fan art that doesn't support someone else's headcanon/ship/etc. People can get fixated on fantasy stories that present a "progressive" worldview, and can get irrationally upset when they're not progressive in the precise way they want.

Edit: The plots don't support the worst of it, I suppose, but still and all... people can be terrible.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Friend of the show Elizabeth Gilbert just came out, I guess? It sounds like her closest friend was diagnosed with cancer, and the shock of the diagnosis made Gilbert realize how much the friend really meant to her.

It sounds less like she's gay, and more like she loves this person who happens to be a woman, which feels like something the McElroy's would endorse (not that they wouldn't endorse the more traditional model). They've promoted her podcast a few times in the month or so since it premiered, but this is probably too personal to get a mention.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

PBS Newshour posted:

Because of his self deprecation I sometimes forget that Griffin is like amazing good at stuff. Like TAZ is a good showcase for the reasons stated above, but then like his polygon videos have like an amazing amount of detail put into I'm impressed with. Dude is just legitimately talented, I mean all three are beyond just being funny but it's really easy to forget with how they present themselves.

Griffin put the most effort into making his "die in your sleep" jokes scan last week. He's legit.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
If that were a regular SA post it would be emptyquoted over the next page to make sure that the author couldn't edit it out.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
That Fantasy Costco episode, by the way, is why Griffin is a great DM. It doesn't sound like Justin actually beat the check, but it was just too good a story to not let him pull it off.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

greatn posted:

Do subscription based podcasts make any money? There's just so much good to amazing free content I can't ever imagine paying someone for a podcast. I donate to maxfun but that seems different.

Never Not Funny has done pretty well with it, I believe. They used to be almost entirely behind a pay wall, but now they just do a weekly bonus episode plus additional specials/live shows during the season. I don't subscribe, but I think they've built enough of a relationship with their fans that the fans don't mind throwing them $20+ a year for some extra material.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

flashy_mcflash posted:

THANK YOU (and everyone) for this!! Holy poo poo Sawbones is owning my life right now.

e: I will try harder to get into Adventure Zone, friends.

:v::"I'm married to a doctor, so it's almost like I AM a doc--"
:crossarms::"Well..."

I've never listened to Shmanners, but I listen to Sawbones and Rose Buddies, and it feels like the brothers are really well matched by their wives. Almost like they found their Chippettes.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Alaois posted:

okay then I'll just say it

Justin is the only funny McElroy.

Justin is the best storyteller of the three (red lobster, the inflatable snowman)

Griffin has the best goof ideas, and his rants are untouchable (bug gym, tybee island)

Travis is incredibly quick. He doesn't always hit, but when he does it can break the whole room. As middlest brother, he can keep bits going by being the punching bag.

It's a precious ecosystem, and each brother plays their part. Note how, despite their success, it's been months (years?) since they've had a special guest.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Beekeeping and You posted:

I think of all the brothers Travis, to me, is "one i'd most like to actually hang out with." He's just a nice dude.

Definitely. Travis is just a just a mensch, which is incredibly important.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://twitter.com/travismcelroy/status/801788144848961536

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/801821208828375040

Travis is truly the middlest brother. :smith:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Inzombiac posted:

I have this weird thing where I reflexively associate colors and objects to sounds. Voices are no different. Considering the huge amount of time I spend on the phone for work, it comes in handy.

Even though no one asked:
Justin is a plum.
Travis is hay.
Griffin is a pear jelly bean.

Oh poo poo those are all food, in a sense.

Sounds like synesthesia. Lucky you.

Also, I'm really sorry guys. Didn't mean to angry up the blood on Thanksgiving. The brothers are all great, and collectively make my week better in many different ways.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Hmm. Sincerely thought that Justin was the deep voice at the top of TAZ. Learned something new.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The TAZ diversity thing wasn't the most recent thing. He wrote something like, "sometimes you have to push the door open. Sometimes you have to kick the door in. But sometimes you just have to use the doorknob." Which people read as some bullshit respectability politics thing.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

purple death ray posted:

I read that as "You may have to try several different tactics, but you should always just talk to people first." I really don't understand how that's offensive at all

Many of the people/peoples he's reaching have been talking for years and decades. A straight white man saying "Well, have you tried just asking nicely?" is never going to go over well, even given Travis every benefit of the doubt for his sincerity.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I sincerely don't think the firestorm was about TAZ whiteness. People got sad about that, but Travis and Justin are quickly said they were right. The "I need to get off the moment" seems to have been travis's later statement. I don't see that Justin got wrapped up in any further drama after speaking out in support of the fan canons.

Travis has taken on a lot more social justice in his account (e.g., the "I am holding your hand" project). I think, as was said before, it comes down to a well-meaning white guy who learned that not every topic is one he should delve into.

Also, I talked about the risk of fan canon drama a month ago, and people basically accused me of spinning paranoid fantasies. Just saying.

Edit: Also also, this is how Angus looks now in my head:

https://twitter.com/rah_ciach/status/802982717075890176

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Dec 5, 2016

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Glad to see that cultural representation questions get as much bullshit here as anywhere else. Glad we're consistent, at least.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Mae posted:

Well, he's certainly lame.

:eyepop:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And sometimes slime is skin and thing die in the first four minutes.

Actually, sometimes you take a hardline stance that slime isn't skin and your player suddenly remembers he can cast level six spells.

I don't know D&D. Assuming they play it straight as the story reiterates, is Taako out of spell options? It sounded like using the spell was a big deal (besides the damage it caused).

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Carboys got a "What's making me happy this week" on last week's NPR Pop Culture Happy Hour. Bizarre clashing of low and (mid?) culture.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Why does the sound of the brothers listening to Justin play Tim Curry have me crying at my desk?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
I think it's just because exasperated straight men are funny.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Ariong posted:

I like how Magnus tried to say "gently caress it", changes his mind because the Red Robe told him not to, then Takko did it anyway because he's Taako. I also like how Griffin makes every lost body part have an upside and a downside, and I hope that at the end of this campaign Merle is 60% gone, but still fine.

I also also liked how each of their first answers in the dating game were depressing, but in different ways.

Taako did it because he'd given Magnus true sight and wanted to see what was drawing off the black cloud. It was actually a pretty great idea, and major credit to Griffin for working it in so seamlessly.

Edit: For people who play in real life, how do you handle secret information like the messages Magnus received? Do you keep it to the one person, or do you let the story benefit by announcing it to everyone? Do you rely on the players to keep each other informed in character?

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
:55 - a blink and you'll miss it shot of their mom. :smith: