Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I don't get why people call Amazon Prime and Netflix and things like that "Television". They're online video platforms. It'd be like calling Youtube a TV station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Whizbang posted:

Isn't it past your bedtime peepums?

I'm 21. Anyways it's just a nitpick I have.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I posted this in the weird fanart thread and I'm posting it here.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Alaois posted:

no sir he clearly said "every other MaxFun show" so that means every other MaxFun show dammit

I always thought John Hodgman had a certain homosexual cadence to his voice.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

We're once again at the point where we complain about the ads for the other Max Fun podcasts and I just want to say I would listen to Throwing Shade again if they skipped the part where they talked about their boring, white, middle class lives and got straight to making fun of homophobes and misogynists.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Speaking of which, does anyone have that Coldplay poem? It was beautiful.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Lol fuckin Jesse, he's got good taste and a bad face and I like him and I also want to push him into some mud.

I like the guy, but it annoys me to no end that he genuinely believes noted transphobe Ru Paul is one of the nicest people in the world.

Then again, a lot of people don't know about that.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

That annoys me too, but not quite as much

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Someone uploaded both segments of the Coldplay LJ post.

http://tesladyneindustries.tumblr.com/post/146417217363/the-coldplay-saga-a-story-of-one-persons

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

To be honest, I'm siding with the rude barista. They need that pocket change way more than some middle-class dumbass.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

But hey, Mac n Cheetos came out, so it's not all bad!

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

So many boys!

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

"Did I get Punk'd 2?"

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I love the bottom images.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Boy do I love Ball Chess.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I was at the live show last night and overall it was pretty good. My favorite questions were the guy who's mom was obsessed with Sting and the guy who's friend genuinely believed mermaids were real.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Ariong posted:

Does anyone have a link to the remastered version of Griffin's Maximum Fun Drive jingle?

This one, right?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

SpacePig posted:

Yeah, 3 is a lot more fun to gently caress around in. What was wrong with 2 on PC, though? I don't remember any problems at all, much less it being "almost unplayable".

Without GOTR, 2 on PC is rife with glitches on account of a bad port job.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

At first I was annoyed by Griffin calling Saint's Row 3 juvenile, but then I remembered the writing in 3 isn't that great.

I hope if decides to do 2 he uses Gentlemen of The Row to make a horrible monstrosity. I know he's not above using mods. (See Daytrader Vader and Arby's Witch Cursed Dark Souls)

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Travis343 posted:

I don't think there's rocket launchers in either of those games

There's a potato gun in Bully that functions like a rocket launcher.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

People keep shamelessly ripping off the Dark Souls episode of Monster Factory and it's ticking me off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a90MEIBI2iA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s7GXnX0lSM

To be fair I'm pretty sure this sort of thing has been in Dark Souls fandom long before that video.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

The MBMBaM Facebook group is a roller coaster I'm not always prepared to ride.

TBH I find the mbmbam facebook very inane and uninteresting, like most of facebook. Occasionally you'll get fanart or Lin-Manuel Miranda getting celebrities to tell the McElroys they did a great job, but mostly it's "hey, it's a picture of horse, isn't that WACKY???"

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Aug 1, 2016

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

This week on Car Boys: some lovely tasty vehicles get chewed up and spit out, but have these boys bitten off more than they can crush? Find out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YDGk3unnbs

That was loving beautiful.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Man, gently caress Nate.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don't know what I'm gonna do once the McElroy boys have McElroy babies soon and the stream of content slows down a bit.

Go through the backlog!

Also, posted this in weird/awesome fanart and posting it again here. https://twitter.com/pmendicant/status/767556162866864128

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

He's going back to Cincinnati.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

(Source)

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Makes sense. The Adventure Zone has been gaining quite a bit of traction among the art community, thanks to it's fun writing and variety of unique characters who don't have much in the way of canon physical descriptions.

Also, if I had the needed skills, I'd make an Adventure Zone game in RPG maker, but I don't, and I feel like trying to collaborate with the role of "idea guy" doesn't seem fair.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

That part was genuinely terrifying.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Hello Meow posted:

Shrimpin' ain't easy! :buddy: I'm a huge queef.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/773289435995643904

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

IRT to mystery food: sometimes some anonymous person leaves out stuff like boxes of macaroni and cheese and cereal in the hallway of my apartment floor. Being that I am desperately poor I take it, because hey, free food.

Helps that it's prepacked stuff, tho.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The video was okay. Would like to see more analysis on the McElroys sense of humor.

One guy I know on tumblr did a bit on why their usage of "boy" as a descriptor was funny.

E: Found the post.

spacetwinks posted:

1. delivery. this is one of those ethereals of comedy that’s hard to really center around, but like, you know it when you see it, hear it, right? their delivery is solid, confident, they do not hesitate to say ‘boy’, they are confident with the word ‘boy’, they are proud (and that may be the true sticking point here) when they say the word ‘boy’. the way they say boy matters. if ‘boy’ was said aggressive, derisively, it changes the entire context.

2. speaking of: context! the mcelroys create their own context here. saying “boy” itself may not be funny, but mcelroys create a context around it that creates a mental sort of short path of “mcelroys say boy”. when the mcelroys say the word boy, after enough watching or listening, you’re not thinking of the word “boy” all on its own, but you’re thinking of all those other times the mcelroys have said “boy”.

think of the Rule Of 3. obviously, the mcelroys go WAY past 3, but the idea behind it - with the rule of 3, you are creating a history, a context, as you approach that 3rd performance of the same joke. you are drawing on the audience’s memory of you saying the thing, not just the thing itself, and so create that shared context when you say it again. without that context, the joke is different performed singularly. or, like… take a joke performed in threes in something, then remove the first two occurrences. how weird is the third performance of that joke now? the context is cut out. it might still be FUNNY, but it’s not the same, right?

perhaps you can think of it as a catchphrase, but thankfully, the mcelroys don’t use it so much as that as just an anchoring word to attach other ideas and feelings around. they don’t just say ‘boy’, they add a ton of descriptors around the word ‘boy’, creating a vivid sort of image in your mind, even as you’re watching that image before you play out. add in that they tend to say it in an adoring instead of a derisive fashion, and this goofy earnestness creates a kind of laughter in us.

by saying the word ‘boy’ so much, the mcelroys give you, the audience, expectations and understandings of the word boy said by these three specific people, quite different than how it would be taken by others, or in other situations. can you think of a context in which someone saying the word ‘boy’ would actually piss you off? sure you could.

but thanks to the constant repetition, the mcelroys progressively build in this learned context to when they say boy, then modify it with all those descriptions, and then their delivery clinches it.

that is, if you find the joke funny at all, which you might not! but either way, there’s a lot of tools of comedy going on almost invisibly when the mcelroys deploy the word ‘boy’ into their podcasts, videos, etc.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 15, 2016

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

ALFbrot posted:

The only thing better than comedy is amateur deconstruction of it

If that were a regular SA post, would you say the same thing?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The Modern Leper posted:

If that were a regular SA post it would be emptyquoted over the next page to make sure that the author couldn't edit it out.

Why? What is wrong with comedy analysis?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/ehetja/status/778003979921920000

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/deliciousbees/status/779016565190561792

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/shmegolas/status/782425810842050560

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

IIRC Griffin said in TTAZZ that they would love to have guests but that it would be a logistical mess.

They also straight-up admitted to fudging rolls to keep the narrative from falling apart.