Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I enjoy HELCK

I'm not totally clear based upon the recent chapters why his other buddies are still around and now 100% loyal to the king. Is it because some exceptional people are able to resist all of the physical transformation stuff, yet are still influenced to obey the king?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe the translator

is Helck himself...?! :stare:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maybe Helck's entire story is all lies and he actually is going to destroy the demons

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Herbotron posted:

I dunno about the one's who retained their sense of self, so far the worst we've seen of them that can't be traced to orders from the king is that they're mad with power, maybe they can be reasoned with, especially if they can actually be threatened with death. Stopping them from rampaging around doesn't necessarily mean killing them.

I doubt they can be reasoned with. We already saw what kind of people they were before the awakening, so if they weren't able to be persuaded by seeing Helck again then I doubt anything would persuade them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm assuming that online-only magazines are generally considered "lower tier" than actual printed ones, right? If that's true, it's kind of depressing that a comic as good as Helck could only get printed in one.

The various people in comments sections and what have you "shipping" Helck and Vamirio are crazy. I don't think there's been a single hint in the entire comic so far of there being any romantic tension between the two of them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its weakened, and if the full, yet a bit degraded from time, Hero Killer couldnt kill Helck then I doubt the broken one can kill Helck, Cless or possibly the high compatibility Humans.
Might be more than enough for the standard troops though.

But Helck was only scratched with the sword, IIRC, and that put him out of commission. If he were actually deeply stabbed with it, the effect would probably be much greater.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think they'd make a cute couple, but mercenary captain is a much better match for Helck, assuming they manage to fix humanity.

I think a relationship between Vamirio and Helck is also almost physically impossible, so Alicia, who is the size of a normal human, is probably a better fit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh yeah looks like you're right. In the bottom panel it looks sorta like a more grazing blow, but the top definitely makes it clear he was stabbed straight through.

It still has the power to at least put him out of commission though, even if it doesn't kill him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I find it really interesting how there's all this other stuff going on aside from the main story, and how even awakened, reviving human armies are still a lower threat than whatever is to the North (and the humans only become a greater threat due to the potential for limitless growth in the power of their troops), though I have a feeling that whatever the Northern threat is might somehow be related to this awakening business (they might be some other awakened race, like that one Helck and Vamirio fought earlier).

Even though there's a threat, you don't really get the same "underdog" feeling as you get from most stories of this nature; the Empire is still extremely powerful and looks like it'll be able to easily fend off the humans for a while even with just a fraction of its forces. The threat is more of a long term thing. That being said, I'm kind of worried one of the "phases" discussed in recent chapters might be something like a plan to awaken demons, which would be kind of lame and raise the stakes too fast, in my opinion. I hope that the Empire remains a really formidable opponent for the antagonists to overcome.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Don't forget low-effort smile! |‿|

I wish Helck had a less dumb name. I know they're going for the Hercules joke with him and his brother but I still don't like it.

Helck's name could not be more perfect. It somehow fits him perfectly, plus for some reason it looks hilarious when written like HELCK

I mean, early on we're supposed to view him (at least superficially) like this big goofy muscly dude, and Helck seems to fit that pretty accurately. It helps contrast with what we later find out about his background and personality.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding the naming stuff, there is no "right answer" (aside from the author specifically saying he wants a particular romanization). Both "Helck" and "Cless" would use the exact same katakana used in the comic. It depends upon which syllable has emphasis. if it's the "re" in "kuresu" (and it probably is, since that's how those things usually tend to work), then it is very likely that Cless/Kless is the most "accurate" way to write it. If it were the "ku", then it could be something like "Kuress" or "Kuless" or whatever that other poster said, but that's unlikely. As for Helck/Heruku, it is also very likely that the "ruku" part just represents an "lk/lck" when romanized. Because the Japanese characters used can't be single consonants (other than "n"), all romanized names that end in consonants like that will end with a "consonant-vowel" syllable in the Japanese. I think the original post about the naming stuff is a good example of little/incomplete knowledge leading to some wrong ideas.

I find it odd that the human angel folks can psychologically deal with the pain of being killed so frequently. I guess it's just part of the spell used that forces them to be able to deal with it, because normally you would have trouble killing yourself even if you knew you would be resurrected afterwards.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

its a 7 imo. it had the novelty of being something nobody had read with a bunch of chapters

Eh, while it's certainly not the most amazing thing ever, I have a hard time thinking of many action/fantasy genre manga that are better than Helck. I feel like there are a couple I can't remember off the top of my head, but it's definitely one of the best current mangas of its genre.

Basically, Helck is very well done (in terms of characters, pacing, art, etc) and clearly knows where it is going plot-wise, which is more than you can say for the vast majority of other manga. While it probably won't be referenced as some classic in 50 years, it's still extremely good at what it does.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think that Asuta is fuuuuuucked. :unsmith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not sure how this little battle will end. While on one hand I'm certainly not really expecting Helck and Vamirio to be victorious, on the other hand I can't imagine any way for them to lose that doesn't end with at least Vamirio dying. As beard-dude mentioned, killing Vamirio is an easy ticket to making Helck go berserk, so he would definitely continue to focus all effort on her if Helck is incapacitated (either through injury or losing his mind) and this isn't a fight she can win or escape from alone.

Nalin posted:

I believe in Helck getting shanked.

As far as I know, he only has two major weaknesses: Alicia and his brother. If he can take out Alicia, he will be unstoppable, and I find it hard to believe it will happen at this point in the story.

Don't forget Vamirio. As beard-dude mentioned, I doubt Helck could mentally handle her dying at this point (even though she seems to believe otherwise).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

Reported for doubting Helck.

I believe in Helck. I just believe in beard-dude and his armies of evil more, since they clearly planned out this battle in advance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm guessing the katakana it's written with is pi + u + small i? I could see why someone might translate that as Piuy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UltraRed posted:

Anne x Azudora

Eww, no, Azudora is way older than Anne and literally raised her as a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't know if he raised her or anything, but Azudora was definitely something like Anne's mentor when she was a child.

Yeah, at the very least it would be like an adult knowing someone closely when they were a young child and then dating them when they became older, which is pretty skeevy. While I guess you could argue that such a moral might not hold for demons who live hundreds of years, I would rather not enter that territory.

• Locked thread