Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PinkoBastard
poltergeist is kick rear end. well directed and it has great performances. it's also loving SCARY for a PG film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard

Glass Bottom Boat posted:

They were going to rate it R originally, but Spielberg threw a fit and they didn't have PG-13 at the time, so they ended up rating it PG. The number of small children traumatized by that decision prompted the MPAA to create the PG-13 category for movies that weren't nasty enough for an R rating, but too nasty for kids.

I think Jaws is also a PG. pretty interesting stuff. I really like the guy who sold Craig T Nelson the house, he's a character actor named James Karen who was also in Return of the Living Dead. Also seconding the great practical effects work throughout. did you like it op?

PinkoBastard
any Argento fans itt? love Deep Red and Suspiria. insanely good soundtracks and they just look incredible.

PinkoBastard

Celluloid Sam posted:

suspiria is one of the most gorgeous films ive ever seen

I don't know wtf was going on in Italy in the 70s, but there sure we're some amazing fever-dream horror flicks coming out then.

for those interested in horror soundtracks, I'll second It Follows and also recommend that you check out City of the Living Dead by Fabio Frizzi and the work of Giuliano Sorgini, too, especially his soundtracks to The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue and the TV movie Zoo Folle. Goblin is required listening, too, particularly the aforementioned Argento films and their Dawn of the Dead soundtrack.

PinkoBastard

Robot Made of Meat posted:

Alien is utter crap.

that's insane, Alien isn't the absolute best movie I've ever seen, but it's very effective. at least you should be able to appreciate it in the context of the era when it was released. you guys prolly know this but it was also written by the guy that wrote/directed Return of the Living Dead.

PinkoBastard

alnilam posted:

house of the devil is a really good modern retro horror film, very slow burn

seconding this, I really enjoyed it too.

PinkoBastard
I agree with your basic premise, I guess, but I still think that alien's good.

PinkoBastard
Rosemary's Baby is a great film, for sure. I like Repulsion, too.

PinkoBastard

ChairmanMeow posted:

I'll watch anything where some one gets an exorcism

PinkoBastard
I just watched the 1969 Mexican exploitation/horror movie Night of the Bloody Apes. I originally saw it a few years ago after seeing the trailer on a Something Weird Video compilation. I'd post the trailer but it's not work safe.

The plot: mad Doctor attempts to save his dying son by replacing his heart with that of a gorilla. Naturally, this results in the son transforming in to an ape-man, physically, and becoming a bloodthirsty, rapey, murderous monster. There's also a plot about a female Mexican wrestler which is very loving uninteresting.

Night of the Bloody Apes is sleazy but not particularly shocking, stupid, slow and poorly written. It plays sort of like a lovely version of an old Universal horror film but with lots of blood and nudity. Low-rent and ludicrous, I wouldn't recommend it to most. On the other hand, if you're in to bad movies in general and maybe more specifically the bloodier Something Weird horror releases (Blood Feast, Basket Case, etc) you'll probably think it's a fun way to kill some time.

PinkoBastard fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PinkoBastard
original Wicker Man is really good!

• Locked thread