Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Made of Meat

Protip: Don't go into the light.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

Hick Magnet posted:

I'm appreciating Children of the Corn right now because it only took about two minutes for the murders to start and there was no romance plot leading up to it.

Children of the Corn starts out with a huge 1970s Thundebird, so I like it.

Robot Made of Meat

Ralp posted:

yeah prior to about 1982 film pacing had not yet been invented so a lot of older horror movies are imho nearly unwatchable. Two examples stick out to me though that use the ultra-slow burn pace to terrific effect:
ALIEN, the perfect movie of all time, enough said.
and Rosemary's Baby. This one is glacial but it's so much the better for it, the suspense building is intricate and constant. When Ravel composed Bolero he could never get conductors to play it slowly enough, that's what Rosemary's Baby reminds me of.

Alien is utter crap.

Dark, wet, and boring does NOT make for good cinema.

ETA: They had a literal cat scare! That's how lame Alien was, it had to rely on the most idiotic cliche in all of horrordom.

Robot Made of Meat

PinkoBastard posted:

that's insane, Alien isn't the absolute best movie I've ever seen, but it's very effective. at least you should be able to appreciate it in the context of the era when it was released. you guys prolly know this but it was also written by the guy that wrote/directed Return of the Living Dead.

Fap fap fap.

I repeat my basic premise. Dark and wet does NOT equal good cinema. This is true regardless of who wrote or directed it.

Robot Made of Meat

ChairmanMeow posted:

as to pacing, Rosemary's baby was a masterpiece.

I will agree with this very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

PinkoBastard posted:

I agree with your basic premise, I guess, but I still think that alien's good.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. We all deserve to enjoy things.

• Locked thread