Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Movie rules, I loved the duck curtain. My theater had the sound turned up stupidly loud, probably louder than anything I've seen in years and it worked great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I read all of the spoilers because I'm an idiot. Will I still enjoy the movie if I go see it knowing all the twists? Or is it really reliant on them.

It's a movie driven by great performances, solid dialog, and wonderful atmosphere. Knowing what happens at the end doesn't change any of that.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I knew the ending going in and thought it worked totally fine, while the three people I was with had no idea and thought it was a really stupid choice. I actually do think that knowing where this movie is going makes it work better, and it doesn't do anything to lessen the impact of the rest of the film.

I also loved every song in the movie, even when they were hilariously on the nose with their lyrics.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I like to believe that at some point, possibly in the ARG, Howard transformed Megan into one of the pigs. Is there a subreddit that can help me with this?

Similarly, with her new costume, Michelle becomes a duck. Honeypot.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I propose that Ten Cloverfield Lane is, actually, a sequel to The Big Lebowski, showing the deepening madness and eventual breakdown of Walter Sobchak.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's just one loud guy who's confused by it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

NESguerilla posted:

One thing that didn't bother me while watching it, but kind of does now that I was talking with a friend about it is just how incompetent the aliens are and how that's sort of an annoying thing in movies. like, they really sucked at their job.

They seemed more like hungry animals than deep schemers.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Zombie Boat posted:

Howard spoilers

I got a pedophile vibe from him. "She's a girl. A little girl. A princess" He has a picture hidden of him cuddling with a dead teenager and he shaves and cleans up so they can "finally be ourselves" I know the theme here is simply abuse but it came off as I don't want to be your dad, I want to pretend you're a little girl

It's an old picture of him and his daughter. It's not "a picture cuddling with a dead teenager, " what the hell?

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

They looked like different people to me, though we only get to see them quickly. But at the very least that's decidedly not a picture of a corpse.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

falz posted:

And I'm onboard with pedo, he even had a pedo voice somehow.

What??

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There's only one murder.

The girl in the polaroid photo is Howard's actual biological daughter, who implicitly left with her mother for another town because Howard was getting paranoid about boys. (Hence the extreme reaction to flirting: "I know what a traitor looks like!") He moved her belongings downstairs after she left.

There is an incestuous subtext in the film, but it's of the Forbidden Planet variety. The father is trying to maintain a symbiotic relationship with his daughter, and the aliens appear as 'monsters from the id'. He doesn't want to gently caress anyone, exactly. He wants a daughter-figure that he can keep safe and virginal indefinitely, like a living doll.

I can see this, I think that's a much fairer reading than "he has The Pedo Voice."

I'm actually glad it's not just me who saw the Polaroid as a different girl, I could have sworn that the two pictures looked like different people (and Howard looked decently younger) but it's hard to check that kind of thing on a movie still in theaters. Emmet's "that's not Megan" was said while holding the class picture, and then the other one was revealed.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

What if Michelle.......... was Megan all along??

When Howard says "now we can be ourselves," he's letting her know that it's OK to drop her disguise now that they've worked together to kill the Evil Man, Emmet, who definitely killed Britney. But it's too late, because the aliens brainwashed her when she heard the rumbling and now she doesn't remember anything now. So she kills her dad, her real dad.

Is not a honey pot... it's a homing beacon!

A True Jar Jar Fan fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 25, 2016

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Mierenneuker posted:

"The two Polaroids showed different girls!"
"No, that is his Howard posing with his actual daughter."

It was very amusing.
I admit I was wrong there but...

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For example, you have the plot twist where "that's not his daughter". The basic idea of 'there are two different people' should be extremely easy to visualize. Just show two different people. Trachtenberg instead, inexplicably, shows two pictures of one person, supplemented with pure expository dialogue. That's bad storytelling.
....this is the issue with it. It's weak visual storytelling. The second picture adds nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

CelticPredator posted:

It adds that he's done this before and that he probably is making poo poo up.

It only takes the first picture to establish that. At most, the second one only adds to how far he's gone with the tied hands, but it's extremely hard to even notice without pausing the movie.

• Locked thread