Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

like, they really sucked at their job.
It's almost like the film-makers intended to make a point about the protagonist's fears of the outside world being worse than the reality, and that she didn't need someone abusive to "protect" her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

synthetik posted:

If you didn't know what happens in the third act you wouldn't know that's the genre? It was a total surprise to me. Sorry I offended you by using spoiler tags.

Yr post makes it clear it's the same genre as Cloverfield so yr tag was kinda pointless! I aint bothered, I'm pleased

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NESguerilla posted:

One thing that didn't bother me while watching it, but kind of does now that I was talking with a friend about it is just how incompetent the aliens are and how that's sort of an annoying thing in movies. like, they really sucked at their job.

A thousand-dollar, decades-old missile can destroy a multi-million dollar attack helicopter. This is significant in how you evaluate the effectiveness of both those technologies, but at the same time, doesn't erase the utility of an attack helicopter.

Ersatz posted:

It's almost like the film-makers intended to make a point about the protagonist's fears of the outside world being worse than the reality, and that she didn't need someone abusive to "protect" her.

And more importantly, what he said.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
http://i.imgur.com/CtZtLc5.gifv

-Me, reading this thread

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I hadn't really been following this movie, but I'd seen there was a thread on it CD, and that it'd opened here recently. Went on a whim, fairly packed audience (some tweens got thrown out, fuckin lol) and was blown away by how high-quality this was. I love when a film has so much payoff - almost every scene had something relevant to a later moment, such as her seamstress skills, or using the canned coolant to freeze and break stuff. The script was drum-tight and it really shows.

There's a lot of discussion of the film's genre, and I'd honestly consider calling it an escape thriller - there's lots of planning, ups and downs etc. It's definitely interesting.

Character-wise, this is one of John Goodman's best roles, and that's saying a lot. He completely nails the balancing act that abusers keep - teetering from dangerous lunatic to friendly, relaxed guy at a moments notice. It's very authentic and pretty impressive. The moments of intensity are offset with moments of kindness and charm. Excellent stuff.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead is also believable, and her character is exactly the sort of woman we need to see on screens. At no point is she completely powerless or forlorn, even when captive and chainged to a railing. She never cries, weeps or pities herself - she simply goes about solving problems as best she can. This is a good role model - strong and quiet, without any panic or hysteria. There's actually a vague Sigourney Weaver resemblance and the conclusion did remind me of Alien, in a small way, which I'm sure is no accident.

Graphically, I'd call it average-to-good. There's no mindblowing effects, huge long-takes or any particular technical mastery. The set is very good, well designed and feels authentic. I believe that there could be cellars out there with that layout and function. Cinematography was definitely good-enough, which is actually fairly impressive for a film that spends most of it's time in a small space.

Overall, this is one of my favourite films from the last year. Just wall-to-wall quality, amazing performances, wonderful script and such a good premise.

I give it 10/10 vats of acid.

Surlaw posted:

They seemed more like hungry animals than deep schemers.

I'd assumed that the thing that was chasing her around the yard was more of a dog released to mop up human survivors and that there were other flavours of aliens in the ship. That thing didn't seem to have hands or any technology, so I assume it couldn't go to space.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bit of a weird film, not really my usual thing but I remember liking the original Cloverfield so thought I'd go see it. Well, this was nothing like that but I'm glad I saw it. You could probably just chop the aliens off the end and let him just be crazy. I suppose if it wasn't originally going to be a Cloverfield film as I'm just reading, that kind of makes sense. Although I dunno why they decided now was the time for a sequelly thing for a film that came out eight years ago (!). The monsters were interesting at least. Really, the film was good enough to stand up on its own I thought. Although saying that I probably never would have gone to see it without that, so maybe it was a good idea, even if it is really cynical.

Don't think it'd be worth a second watch to be honest, I'd guess the tension just goes away when you know what's going to happen, and that was basically the strong point for me. It was a pretty good first watch though. There were a few bits that made me really jump. The volume being very loud probably helped. The acting was pretty good all round too. There was definitely a good mix of people in the screen (and it was pretty full) who had absolutely no idea there might be anything sci-fi in it and others who were expecting a bit later on like I was.

Oh, Monsters come in many forms is a good tagline now I think about it. Maybe monster is a little harsh on Howard, seeing as he seems to believe he really is doing things for the best, but he's certainly dangerous and unpredictable. And then there's the more obvious monsters. I guess that's kind of really super obvious and what it was going for though.

But it's kind of strange that the large survivalist lets his air system only be accessible through a little vent or the outside. And Monopoly was just asking for trouble. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ersatz posted:

:rolleyes: That doesn't change the fact that they came off as incompetent. This doesn't even make any sense she spent most of the movie trying to escape. At most she stayed there briefly out of caution because of the melting lady, and she wanted nothing to do with John Goodman. She never felt the need for his protection she just put up with him because of the situation. This was not a hurdle she needed to overcome in the way your are implying it was

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

What did they do that made them incompetent?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I guess if you miss the extreme close-up on the bus ticket that represents unrealized potential, that gets passed on to her, and that finally inspires her to kill her captor.

If the Michelle character genuinely had no arc, she would have killed Howard shortly after being unchained. The entire film is about overcoming the various rationalizations that keep her from doing so: "he's not some rapist, he just misses his daughter, he wants to protect us...".

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
Although it's unnecessary tactical-realism, I think it checks out on that level. When I think about "things that could gently caress over an interstellar colonization attempt," I could very much see "accidentally used materials which are easily combustible in planetary atmosphere at time of arrival" happening.

A planet with an species with access to nuclear weapons is probably an automatic fail in most situations without FTL, though. Think how much worse environmental poo poo you would put up with to not have to deal with humans.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 20, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

tbh i'd be all for more movies where aliens aren't just unstoppable War of the Worlds super-colonists impregnably superior to everything, we've got a new Independence Day coming out and it's going to be dumber and louder and better than the first one and that's enough thank you

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
The aliens couldn't possibly have anticipated that their biological scout craft was an adventure game puzzle designed to be solved by the materials in Michelle's car

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Saw it last night and reeeeally liked everything until the very end.

It seemed like the entire movie got handed over to a new crew once she was out of the bunker. What the gently caress was that major league baseball molotov chucking all about? And the ridiculous zoom in/move the camera backward (i forget what this technique is called) onto the mailbox had the audience cringing. The final 15 minutes came off as cheesy to me. The crap about combat experience/literal crossroads was garbage.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why did this double post happen

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
anyone have a shot of the giant ship over Houston?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
John Goodman was loving incredible in this movie. There have been some seriously amazing representations of dangerous mental illness recently. Reminded me a lot of watching Jake Gylenhall in Nightcrawler or Oscar Isaac in Ex Machina.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

KingFisher posted:

anyone have a shot of the giant ship over Houston?

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
you catch more flies with hovering meatships full of mustard gas than you do with vinegar

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mods please change the thread tag to the honeypot.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

RCarr posted:

Mods please change the thread tag to the honeypot.

It would be really obnoxious to make the thread title a huge spoiler like that.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Good movie. My favorite bit was Howard being unable to come up with the world "woman." After all the "is he/isn't he" poo poo, that whole scene was a pretty chilling (and darkly funny) confirmation.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
You spend however many weeks underground being terrified of John Goodman and you manage to bring down a loving leviathan within five minutes of getting topside?

Other than the last ten minutes I loved this film. That ten minutes though felt like a dirty protest from the writers after they found out their film was getting turned into a Cloverfield reboot.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Fear is a powerful drug.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I doubt we'll ever see the original script, but I'd be really interested in seeing what would have happened with Michelle/Howard had their been no Cloverfield tie-in. Would she have escaped and gone back home, did the writers have an attack of some kind written in there already, etc.?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Senf posted:

I doubt we'll ever see the original script, but I'd be really interested in seeing what would have happened with Michelle/Howard had their been no Cloverfield tie-in. Would she have escaped and gone back home, did the writers have an attack of some kind written in there already, etc.?

It's been posted on Reddit already. It's identical until the last bit, where in the original script there were no aliens but rather a human military and she drives off into the sunset. At least, that's my understanding. Note that I didn't actually read it, just had the original ending recounted to me.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife

Funkmaster General posted:

It's been posted on Reddit already. It's identical until the last bit, where in the original script there were no aliens but rather a human military and she drives off into the sunset. At least, that's my understanding. Note that I didn't actually read it, just had the original ending recounted to me.

Nah, it's She escapes, and everything is fine (the birds, etc.) or so it seems. She drives to Chicago, where as her car crests the last hill, she finds the city leveled (not explained how or by what). Credits.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
If either of those are what we would've gotten before the film got Cloverfielded, I'm incredibly happy it did, because both of those are much weaker than the ending we did get.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Howard spoilers

I got a pedophile vibe from him. "She's a girl. A little girl. A princess" He has a picture hidden of him cuddling with a dead teenager and he shaves and cleans up so they can "finally be ourselves" I know the theme here is simply abuse but it came off as I don't want to be your dad, I want to pretend you're a little girl

Either way Goodman made this incredibly tense and I loved every second of it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Zombie Boat posted:

Howard spoilers

I got a pedophile vibe from him. "She's a girl. A little girl. A princess" He has a picture hidden of him cuddling with a dead teenager and he shaves and cleans up so they can "finally be ourselves" I know the theme here is simply abuse but it came off as I don't want to be your dad, I want to pretend you're a little girl

Either way Goodman made this incredibly tense and I loved every second of it.

I don't see him as a pedophile at all. I think that's the "easy" direction to take. I think he wants his family back, so to him she's his daughter. He sees her as a little girl, but not sexual in any way. Hence the rage at her flirting with Emmett and the inability to guess "woman" at the Catchphrase game

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I completely agree. I definitely didn't get any pedophile vibes whatsoever.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Yeah I think you're right. Mostly the shaving thing weirded me out but I guess he's just trying to clean up after...Everything

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Zombie Boat posted:

Howard spoilers

It's an old picture of him and his daughter. It's not "a picture cuddling with a dead teenager, " what the hell?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

We never get to see a picture of his daughter. Those were the kidnapped girl both times.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Allegedly.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

They looked like different people to me, though we only get to see them quickly. But at the very least that's decidedly not a picture of a corpse.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
It's been weeks, not spoling.

Pretty sure both pics were the same girl, not his daughter. And I'm onboard with pedo, he even had a pedo voice somehow.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

falz posted:

And I'm onboard with pedo, he even had a pedo voice somehow.

What??

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I'll chime in agreeing that he's just recreating his old life with his daughter. His overreaction to just touching her arm and the fight over flirting fit perfectly if you had a deluded sense that MEW was 11 years old and the local handyman grabbed her arm.

Not sexual in my book.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

They looked like different people to me, though we only get to see them quickly. But at the very least that's decidedly not a picture of a corpse.

I didn't mean a photo WITH a corpse. I meant a photo with a person who is no longer alive but was alive at the time the picture was taken. Emmet says "that's not Megan, that's Brittany. She went to my high school and she went missing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

I'll chime in agreeing that he's just recreating his old life with his daughter.

He had a bunker full of girls' clothes and furniture, at least two 'missing' 'daughters', a holding cell, handcuffs and a giant barrel of acid.

• Locked thread