Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There are things we love about our cars. Things that we think about every time we get in them. Things we tell proudly to anyone who will listen. This is not a thread for those things. This is a thread for the little things; the things we only think about once in a blue moon but we're very thankful for when we remember them.

I have a silver '09 Sonata and it comes standard with +3 Stealth against cops. I was running late for work and probably going 50 in a 35. I passed a speed trap and immediately saw the cop car pull out right after. I was making GBS threads my pants, trying to think of a good excuse. The light ahead was red, so I nonchalantly pulled to a stop and tried to look natural (I probably looked like a moron). The cop changed lanes and pulled next to me. :wtf:. I waited a second after the car ahead of me started moving to force him to be in front of me. He then proceeded to cut me off, swerving back into my lane and pulled over the car directly in front of me - a late 90's Jeep Grand Cheroke I was just seconds ago riding the rear end of.

My car may also have vorpal; I haven't yet tried running anyone down or using a scroll of identify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love how on wet roads, the back end of my truck ever so slowly steps out of line in a turn, and ever so slowly glides back in line. It's completely predictable and docile.

You can drift and slide around in regular traffic without anybody really giving a poo poo.

The BMW i love the little map lights. at night there's always a red glow inside that doesn't affect your night vision or anything, but allows you to see inside the car.

The lincoln i love the loud initial roar on a cold start-up.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Powershift posted:

The BMW i love the little map lights. at night there's always a red glow inside that doesn't affect your night vision or anything, but allows you to see inside the car.

My friend has a BMW, and it has a little red light on the bottom of the rear view mirror that projects a small spot on the shifter. It's a great touch.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My Focus: heated windscreen :worship:

My MX5: If you hop on and off the throttle in just the right way it gives the cutest little "gurglegurglegurgle....pop!" from the exhaust. :3:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The backseat base in the Golf comes out completely and allows the back to fold 99% flat. There's a wee bump in the middle but that's completely acceptable when I can fit a whole drum set and bass guitar in the back with room to spare.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Starting the Stingray first thing in the morning makes the most wonderful sound. It's the kind of small thing you'll never be able to convey in photograph or really notice in a video.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

It hasn't started burning oil, spun a bearing, or blown a headgasket since i bought it

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
'99 Forester: I like that its got 300k miles, has been telling knock knock jokes for almost 6 months, and still gets me to work and back every day.

'96 Volvo 855T: the passive rear-steer, not many people seem to know that 850s have that and it really is noticeable when you throw it around the twisties.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Terrible Robot posted:

'99 Forester: I like that its got 300k miles, has been telling knock knock jokes for almost 6 months, and still gets me to work and back every day.

'96 Volvo 855T: the passive rear-steer, not many people seem to know that 850s have that and it really is noticeable when you throw it around the twisties.

I've always been curious about those systems. How do they work?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

KillHour posted:

I've always been curious about those systems. How do they work?

On the Volvo 850 and FC RX-7 it's accomplished by having certain bushings in the rear suspension designed to compress under cornering loads, giving the rear wheels a couple degrees of toe out/in depending on the side they are on. It's never more than 2 degrees of deflection in either direction IIRC but it makes a difference.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
When I put my car in reverse the passenger mirror drops down so I can see the curb and rear wheel. This should be standard on cars with electric mirrors and a can bus, It's such a simple software implementation.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The fact that it redlines at 8300 rpm.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

No rust :smug:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It burns diesel and hauls rear end. Towing ~8000#, still got 14mpg.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

The Saab cupholder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4lbV5eGuJ8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Also that it has weather band radio.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

scuz posted:

The backseat base in the Golf comes out completely and allows the back to fold 99% flat. There's a wee bump in the middle but that's completely acceptable when I can fit a whole drum set and bass guitar in the back with room to spare.

Same thing in my old Mazda 323P. The bottom seat cushion in the back could be ripped out, along with the back headrests, making it surprisingly cavernous. I moved so many dumb things in or on that car (had a roof rack too.)

The Passat had a similar thing but the seat cushion was just front hinged and tilted forward. As it was a sedan I didn't use it much.

For the BMW, I'm 90% sure that it turns off the interior fan when putting it in reverse, as to not suck your own exhaust into the cabin.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

bolind posted:

Same thing in my old Mazda 323P. The bottom seat cushion in the back could be ripped out, along with the back headrests, making it surprisingly cavernous. I moved so many dumb things in or on that car (had a roof rack too.)

You can take the'90s Mazda seat thing one step further with a Festiva:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFvoStEvIxM
Take the headrests off and set the seat just right and you've got mostly-flat, mostly-unbroken cushion through the whole car. Almost comfortable.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
The fact that it's got a three-pedal and nobody expects it.

The fact that the other one still makes me smile when I look at it even though it hasn't moved in a couple years.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
The cabin lights up with all these hidden soft orange lights when it's dark and you open the door and it looks wicked.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I got another one.

The bright as gently caress cornering lights that come on with the signal light.

Handy as hell for parking in the dark, too.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Powershift posted:

I got another one.

The bright as gently caress cornering lights that come on with the signal light.

Handy as hell for parking in the dark, too.

More cars need that poo poo. Frustrating that it seems only US luxobarges have it.

On my cars? I dunno, I think I appreciate finally getting my tires set up so they don't leak air. I hate having to fill all the time, but it seems I can never escape it. I'm finally there currently.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
  • the headlights turn off when you turn off the ignition, something that none of the non-Volvo cars I drive have figured out how to do
  • a silver station wagon is the second least noticeable car on the road, behind a silver CR-V
  • it fast
edit:
  • if I fold everything down I can lie down diagonally with the rear hatch closed

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 16, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its a truely unpopular truck, so no matter what I do to it, nobody cares. Also, those storage compartments in the side of the bed loving own for hiding stuff you don't want people messing with. And the rear seats are hinged due to that whole midgate thing, meaning cleaning under the rear seats is an absolute breeze. I love my crapalanche, even if it is terrible and has me stuck in the worst kind of abusive relationship with it. :kimchi:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It's coming up on 11 years old (going by build date), and 130k miles. Still doesn't have any visible leaks, and only loses about a quart of oil between entirely too long oil changes (usually 9k or so - I go by the oil life monitor, and it always gets synthetic). And it still starts on the first try.

The only things that have ever been touched under the hood, outside of oil changes, has been a replacement serpentine belt, spark plugs, an air filter, and a throttle body gasket (after I pinched the original when reinstalling the TB after cleaning it, so entirely my fault).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Terrible Robot posted:

On the Volvo 850 and FC RX-7 it's accomplished by having certain bushings in the rear suspension designed to compress under cornering loads, giving the rear wheels a couple degrees of toe out/in depending on the side they are on. It's never more than 2 degrees of deflection in either direction IIRC but it makes a difference.

The first thing you do with an FC is throw those bushes as far as you can and get something that locks the geometry in place. Diabolical crap.

'99 Forester - Just is the best thing to tool around in.

'10 Commodore - swallows a ridiculous amount of crap and cruise long trips.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
'04 Caldina
The ability to swap the ac/radio back light from green to red because night vision. And back agaim because red looks like hell during the day.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The first thing you do with an FC is throw those bushes as far as you can and get something that locks the geometry in place.

Yea, because Mazda refuses to make new bushings and all of the FCs still on the road have totally shagged bushings.

The Volvo system owns and you can still get the bushings :smug:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

• the headlights turn off when you turn off the ignition, something that none

Mine does this too, and I love it. I can't tell you how many rental cars I've drained the battery of. :(

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

Mine does this too, and I love it. I can't tell you how many rental cars I've drained the battery of. :(

Subaru leaves the lights off when you turn the car off, and they even have a confusing, mislabelled switch that's not obvious to leave them on instead.

Then they gave up and got rid of the switch in their pursuit of becoming Brightly Coloured Toyota so who knows what they do now.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For Subaru the lights now turn off with the ignition, but you cab turn them on by toggling the light switch off then on again with the keys out and it'll turn on your lights

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

I love the huge smile the Viper puts on people's faces when I give someone a ride. The little easter eggs in the car, embedded maps of the Nordschleife and Laguna Seca are great too. It's cool to have that reminder that your car was designed & built by car nuts.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
My MR2 is the first interesting car I've owned that hasn't taken a huge dump within a couple months of owning it. Also it's adorable and I smile every time I see it :3:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

'99 Forester - Just is the best thing to tool around in.

Yea same. I love the way it looks. I dont have to work on it much and that I can use it as a small pickup truck or a place to sleep with the seats down. The gearing and the low end torque make it fun to drive too.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

jammyozzy posted:

My Focus: heated windscreen :worship:

Fords heated windscreens are the greatest 'small feature' a car can have.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Tiltable headrests is a pro feature in any car (such as mine). The entire interior is just so well put together for an 80s econo-lux car.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

There is a button on the dash which remotely drops down the rear headrests for better visibility. They are spring loaded and if you have someone in the back seat they will smack them in the back of the head.

I also just love how comfortable the seats are. I've never experienced more comfortable car seats.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
The suspension system means that there is never any body roll when cornering or braking. The suspension is so soft that you cannot feel the road surface at any time until you hit that pothole that you were trying to dodge. Car can also turn within 2x it's length. And makes V8 noises.

There are littler things as well, such as the sonic mirrors that shake away rain water and break up ice, but these are the biggest little things.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Crank-operated vent windows.
A little light that illuminates the ignition keyslot.
The high-beam indicator is the silhouette of Pontiac.
the ignition key can be removed while the engine is running and the car can be locked up that way (no, it's not broken)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PainterofCrap posted:

The high-beam indicator is the silhouette of Pontiac.

On the same note, I love my floor-mounted dimmer switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Fords heated windscreens are the greatest 'small feature' a car can have.

It's seriously nice, although the z-lines can be a distraction at times.

Fun story: there was a trick/scam when they first came out where, if you had full glass coverage, you'd get a heated windshield ($1000+) as long as you just claimed that what was broke, even if your car came with a regular one. Pretty sure they closed that hole though.

PainterofCrap posted:

A little light that illuminates the ignition keyslot.

Just remembered! My Mazda had that as well. A dim, green light around the ignition keyslot.

• Locked thread