Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Just discovered this perfectly round hole in my wife's car as she was leaving for work this morning. Didn't have time to measure the hole because she had to leave, but when she gets home I'm going to see if a 9mm will fit snugly inside. What in the hell could this be? The hole is almost perfectly vertical, so it's not like someone took a shot at our car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuelslt1
Jun 23, 2007
Maybe if I sell enough undercoating, I'll eventually stop being a gigantic prick.
My internet powers say yes.

or someone took a hole saw/spear/meteorite to it.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

In every other picture I've seen of bullet holes in steel the area around the hole warps inward slightly. That looks more like a puncture. Unless of course that fender is aluminum, which is more brittle and wouldn't warp the same way.

e: The more I look at it the more it looks drilled.

Gorson fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 16, 2016

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Gorson posted:

In every other picture I've seen of bullet holes in steel the area around the hole warps inward slightly. That looks more like a puncture. Unless of course that fender is aluminum, which is more brittle and wouldn't warp the same way.

e: The more I look at it the more it looks drilled.

It's a plastic body panel.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
That definitely looks drilled. Every bullet hole I've made in something has always been way more ragged.

Except for wadcutters or semi-wadcutters, and even then, the only place they look remotely round is in paper.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Why the hell would someone drill a hole in her car? Random vandalism? Someone was just walking around with a cordless drill?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a factory security system in the car? Where's the ECU? Is there anything under that fender that they'd want to get at to disable?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, my bet would be factory security wiring or hood release run through that fender and someone drilled it to try a low key break in.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Looks like it's been drilled rather than shot at.

If they were drilling to access wiring, you think they'd go big, i.e. holesaw, especially into plastic. They would be replacing the panel either way.

Put a power antenna or wing mirror in there.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
I've seen shots at fiberglass, sheet steel, and aluminum, and that is not a bullet hole. Bullet holes in fiberglass tend toward the ragged, in sheet metal they leave a definite pucker or dimpling around the hole. There is definite single direction burring in that hole which is indicative of a drill.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Put a CB radio antenna in there, one of those comedy huge VHF whips from the 80s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Lincoln posted:

It's a plastic body panel.

Is it really?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
nth'ing drilled hole. At any rate, next time you get your hands on the car, take a look behind/underneath and post more.

What model car?

Edit: any minute circular, concentric scratches around the hole? Sometimes the chips will collect on the drill and rotate with it, slightly scratching the surface of the "workpiece".

bolind fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jan 18, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Look for the dust from the drill still under or look for the object that made the hole. A meteor might be worth the price of your deductible. I doubt there is anything run up there it would be a dumb place to run wires and cables now that accountants have told the engineers to make everything as short as possible.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have shot many cars with bang sticks and this is not a bullet hole.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Makes me wonder if there was a rumor email going around about how you can steal it by drilling a hole but all I got was results about drilling the door below the lock.

Looks like regular old cordless drill vandalism to me, maybe walk the block and see if anyone else got the same thing?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
It's a speed hole - it makes the car go faster.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

It's easy to see who's been to the track and who hasn't.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
It's slightly worrying that more of you have posted 'I know what bullet holes look like' than 'I know what drill holes look like'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

bolind posted:

nth'ing drilled hole. At any rate, next time you get your hands on the car, take a look behind/underneath and post more.

What model car?

Edit: any minute circular, concentric scratches around the hole? Sometimes the chips will collect on the drill and rotate with it, slightly scratching the surface of the "workpiece".

1) I'll have time to poke around later this week, but there's no easy way to se the damage from underneath.
2) 2012 BMW X5
3) nope, nothing like that, but there are shavings coming off the exit-side of the hole, so yeah it was drilled.

Adjuster will look at it early next week. $99 deductible, so no big whoop, but I'm still puzzled that it even happened. I'm just chalking it up to random vandalism. But I've never heard of this. Antenna snapped off, sure. But walking around a parking lot with a cordless drill.

• Locked thread