Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pushy Cat posted:

ooh poo poo

Bad move. If more health officials knew that they should be using the dispatcher to shuttle the researcher around to trade for five city cards of the same color, this outbreak would have been cured already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I guess there's more mob games than I expected. There's also Okhlos, with ancient Greek philosophers leading an uprising against the gods.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I get inverted control stick (not really but) but....... Inverted.... Mouse.....?

Inverted feels natural. You pull your head back to look up after all.

(I played like that in the Quake days but ended up conforming shortly afterwards).

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
When I first tried out mouselook in Quake, I ended up using A Z Ctrl Alt.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Genuine question: I figure the first two Doom titles and the first two Quake titles are ubiquitous on the same level as 2009 The Orange Box.

Is this a case of just extending ownership to another platform or people actually not owning the games? They're regularly on sale for a fiver so I'm moderately surprised to see enthusiastic response to the free Quake titles on Bethesda's service.

I have the original disks buried in the closet somewhere, but it's a lot easier to download it than it is to try to install them from the disks and then mess around with the patches and/or 3rd party ports to get them working correctly. My newest computer doesn't even have a dvd drive in it.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Skwirl posted:

The free demo is the best episode in Doom 1.

The dirty secret of old school shareware. They put the most effort into the part designed to convince you to give them money.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

JazzFlight posted:

I think Torchlight doesn't allow for respecs (I think people modded this in?), which super turned me off. Diablo 3 had an incredible respec-at-any-time-for-free system which allowed for experimentation. I hate permanently going down one path and then learning it sucks after hours of play.

Torchlight 2 has respecs, but it's 1 point at a time and has increasing costs.

It's a decent game, although nothing really makes it stand out from other stuff in the genre. Its best feature is that you have a pet that you can send to town to sell things and buy potions for you.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
It's weird seeing a relic of 90's "satire" and edginess existing in 2022. They don't really deserve much beyond a dismissive eyeroll at this point.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

tight aspirations posted:

N6WXN-AZQV4-NB5D3

Thanks for Scratches: Director's Cut.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I loved Supraland. It's primarily a puzzler, but with a Metroidvania world and some combat thrown in. It all felt really well designed to me; there was only one spot where I had to look up what to do. It also has a ton of secrets, even in areas you wouldn't expect to find anything in.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

ZombieApostate posted:

I want to play Sekiro because I love From Software, but haven't yet, and my impression was that it was much more on the action side.

Sekiro is barely a genre change, and if you love the Souls games you'll love it too. It still has the feel of one, with very familiar level design, encounters, healing system, etc. They removed stamina, the character stats, and equipping melee weapons and armor. They added a parry and poise system for deflecting attacks and getting a deathblow on the enemies. They added a much more sophisticated stealth system. Movement is also improved to appropriate levels of ninja.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

There's also a significant amount of content from those expansions that has been removed from the game and cannot be played anymore

All 3 of these expansions are fully playable. The stuff they sunset was older content.

The Witch Queen is their best expansion, so being able to play that for free is a good deal to newish or returning players at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The janky but fun looking naval combat game Blackwake changed from a paid game to free to play: https://store.steampowered.com/app/420290/Blackwake/