Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Ubisoft 30th Anniversary free games on uPlay thing is gonna be Rayman Origins this month, it'll be free from the 17th August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A new early access FPS roguelike named Polygod is free on Steam if you have any of the Eternal achievements from The Binding of Isaac. Message the Steam account 'AtomicDomb' from an account which has one of those and they'll send you a key.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't have any launchers start when I start the computer, unless you count Discord.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Epic Store reminder, Thimbleweed Park is free for 2 more days, then the excellent farming game Slime Rancher goes free on Thursday.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah I bought Slime Rancher in early access but it's a hell of a good game so I'm happy people are going to get to play it for free.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Tencent have their fingers in literally every digital distribution platform and a stake in roughly half the games industry at this point, but "Tencent is going to steal your credit card info for the Chinese government" is a solid new escalation on that scare tactic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Breetai posted:

Slime rancher is free on epic tomorrow, is it any good?

It's really good, one of those "I should do this one more thing oh no why is it dark outside I should've eaten 3 hours ago" games.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Grid 2 and the Bathurst and Spa DLC tracks are free through the Humble newsletter right now. It's my least favourite of the Grid games but still a solid racer.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/grid2-spa-bathurst

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They've responded to that since it came up saying it's a bug in their implementation of Steam friend list importing which they rushed to implement when Fortnite first started blowing up and it's getting fixed. It's apparently only meant to access the localconfig file if someone decided to link their Steam friend list, but it wasn't making that check.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Morrowind is free today (March 25th) for the Elder Scrolls 25th Anniversary if you have/create a Bethesda account. Redeems through the Bethesda launcher.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

FYI according to Twitter no one has been able to redeem there Morrowind code all day. If I were a more cynical man I might say this was just a gambit to get people to sign up for their launcher to pad their numbers.

Bethesda. Bethesda never changes.

I got mine done, but once the Americans woke up it does look like the website got absolutely loving battered. Also this is totally to get people to sign up for their launcher, that's what giveaways like this are for.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Aerdan posted:

Age of Wonders III free to own for the next 48 hours.

Humble Newsletter, well that's my weekend sorted.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The original Witcher is free if you download Gwent on GOG.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Steep is free through UPlay until the 21st.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/videogamedeals/status/1131713626761510912

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I believe for Playstation Plus games the devs get paid based on how many people add the game to their library, so it's possible the Epic store works the same way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah its a legal loophole/part of Microsoft's rule where if something is backwards compatible on the Xbox One they want it digitally downloadable on the store. Too Human is backwards compatible, so it needs to be on the store, but they cant charge money for it so it goes up free. Which is the only fair price for Too Human.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This game owns in case anyone was wondering.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Given the game's going free to play and they're giving everyone super powerful gear to start, are you actually losing anything from not linking other than stats and cosmetic gear?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Its main purpose I believe is to bring a console save across to PC if you want to move platform. But not merge save, if you have a PC and console save you'll have to choose which one to bring over and the other will just get deleted. They're not doing merging of gear or anything because I heard on the most recent Giant Bombcast that they lost a bunch of premium currency doing the cross save thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

This game is fuckin hard and I can't rally for poo poo.

It only hurts you because it wants you to be better.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

MZ posted:

Christ, how long are Epic going to keep this up?

In this case it's because there's a Batman event coming up in Fortnite, so as long as they have something relevant to promote.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

QUBE 2 is a really cool puzzle game that's been free with Twitch Prime about 500 times by now.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Rayman Legends is now free on Epic, it's legit one of my favourite games of the last 5 years.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah they've probably been grabbed by scraper bots who grab Steam keys, it's why people always leave a character out when posting them on Twitter. Aegis Defenders is also gone.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Honestly with a lot of big indie games at this point I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people aren't buying them at launch knowing they're going to be freebies within a year.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I believe in those free at launch deals its a fat sack of cash to cover expected lost sales. Worked out alright for Rocket League which I think was the first big example of that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

FFT posted:

I'd love a proper Unreal/Unreal Tournament remaster. There's apparently Unreal Redux that's an indie project in the works, but not even an inkling of a release date.

Facing Worlds/Hall of Giants, :sigh:

Epic were making a new UT themselves with proper mod support before Fortnite took off, it got abandoned pretty soon after.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

DiggityDoink posted:

Isn't there an entire EGS thread you all can post your bad takes in?

I'm just here for the free games.

They poo poo up that thread as well, I wouldn't be surprised if they got booted from there.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

They know Mac users have money.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I have Steep through Uplay and I don't even think it's worth bothering with.

Also today is Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, so the actually good one supposedly.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Barry Convex posted:

wow did not think they’d give away Impossible Lair. Either it bombed or Epic is paying a lot for some of these freebies

I'd put money on it bombed given how burned a lot of people were by Yooka Laylee.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

A good poster posted:

Does the developer get money based on how many people download it, or just a lump sum up front? If it's the latter, than it doesn't matter whether you grab it or not.

Depends on the service I believe, I'm pretty sure Playstation Plus works on how many people add the game to their library but I remember Epic saying they paid upfront based on expected lost sales.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

There was a theory when they launched the thing that their main userbase would be kids who play Fortnite and weren't already invested in Steam. Don't know how well that works if you're not getting them used to buying games because there's something free every week though.

But also I have no stake in Epic doing financially well so I don't care either way.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Bridge is free on Epic now but who gives a poo poo because next week is Farming Simulator 19!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's up now (4pm GMT). Next ones are a bunch of board games, Carcassone, Ticket to Ride and Pandemic.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Faeria are free on Epic this week.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, it's also I think the last one under the old AC style. It was pretty well received if memory serves, though that might've only been because it was following Unity.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It's also the first game I've seen on EGS to need a second login, as you still need to login to a Uplay account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Zesty posted:

You’re surprised they tried to milk initial sales and then microtransactions? That’s the go-to business plan for MMOs for a while now.

-Initial cost
-Free month to month with premium subscription
-Microtransactions
-Remove initial cost a couple years down the line to pick up everyone else they can who might make microtransactions.

That's the business plan for all major games now, not just MMOs.