Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, because no one's posted about it yet, the new and upcoming free games on the Epic Game Store:

Free July 8-15:
-Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead (I have negative interest in The Walking Dead, but a free Bridge Constructor game is a free Bridge Constructor game.)
-Ironcast (Play a gem-matching game to represent Victorian mech combat. It seems fine.)

Free July 15-22
-Obduction (An adventure game from the creators of Myst. You're transported across the universe to an alien world with other bits from Earth scattered around, so you explore and do Myst things.)
-Offworld Trading Company (A real-time economic strategy game where you play a corporation trying to make as much money as possible from Mars. Has been free on EGS before.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Tunicate posted:

And at the start of the game, you haven't actually unlocked villages, swamps, OR xp, so the manor doesn't give any benefits at all

Well, vampires drop better stuff, so it's better than just better than just running in circles while you beat up slimes and get gear that's not as good as what you already have.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

El Generico posted:

I don't know about that, but unless I'm missing some basic strategic ideas, it feels like progress of each run is a tiny, tiny amount. I'd like this to be less grindy.

To be honest, my main complaint about Loop Hero is that it takes slightly too many runs to get the resources for any given village upgrade, which adds up to way too many runs across the whole game. It's an established issue with the game.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Anyway, Kingmaker's a pretty good isometric RPG that's afaik still kind of buggy in a bad way and is generally surpassed so much by Wrath of the Righteous that I don't know why you'd buy it when you could be buying that instead. So, getting it for free is a good deal.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 24, 2021

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

The Kins posted:

Crypto Against All Odds

Oh. Someone made a tower defense game about being an early crypto admin, fighting to protect the blockchain from conspiracies...

At least some of the other games look good?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

ZombieApostate posted:

In Sound Mind is up on Epic, next week is DEMON'S TILT, apparently.

For context, In Sound Mind is a first person shooter/haunted house from the creators of one of the more notable Source mod haunted houses, Nightmare House. I haven't seen a ton of it, but it seems to be good at what it is. (ie, Source Engine haunted house/horror).

Demon's Tilt is exactly what it looks like. An occult-themed pinball game. It's cool, make sure you grab it next week.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Yeah. CDPR's chud-ness is half how much crunch they force their team into while acting like it's good and half continued gently caress-ups where it feels like there's some game designers who care about sex positivity/inclusivity/etc but everyone who actually makes decisions has the emotional depth of a frat bro stereotype for that kind of thing.

(And Cyberpunk didn't technically bomb, but it did permanently scar CDPR's reputation. That counts for something.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Those freebies being Irastus: Lord of the Dead (reverse Darkest Dungeon), Hood: Outlaw and Legends (4v4 stealth action game where you compete to rob the Sheriff of Nottingham the best, isn't as good as you'd hope) and Geneforge 1 - Mutagen (a fun isometric RPG where you do genetics magic).

Next week's freebies are Killing Floor 2 (shoot waves of zombies for money) and Ancient Enemy (a card-based RPG I have never heard of before now).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Ultimately, the problem is that modern social media killed the existing forum hosting systems as something most people will interact with. Discord was only really designed with the community aspects of forums/IRC in mind, so it was kind of hosed when people started using it for the information-retention uses of forums too. Hopefully forum channels get released to the public soon.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Xander77 posted:

Knockout City (whatever that is)

Dodgeball-themed third person casual arena shooter, went free to play recently.

quote:

Submerged Hidden Depths (wti part 2)

Exploration game, climb around flooded ruins and do some plot stuff with curses.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Trolling Thunder posted:

Are they giving it away because it has tons of dlc you need?

Not really. There's two expansions, but they're just adaptations of the board game's expansions. Gloomhaven is just a very meaty game.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

The Kins posted:

Facility 47 is a Legacy Games key, whatever that is

They're a casual game publisher. You know, all those hidden object and match 3 games that mostly get sold to moms and all that. Facility 47's a hidden object-based adventure game, so it makes sense.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Commander Keene posted:

Is this literally just Carcassonne?

No. It's a tile-laying game about building countryside, but it doesn't have the worker system and uses a completely different ruleset for how you score points.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 3, 2022

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Also, this week's freebies on Epic are up. Which means you can get Dark Deity (a Fire Emblem-alike that is pretty mediocre according to LP), Evil Dead: The Game (an asymmetric 4v1 of four versions of Ash Williams doing rituals to fight a Deadite ghost that mostly flies around like a L4D director when it's not possessing things), and some cosmetics for Rumbleverse.

Next week, Epic has Star Wars: Squadrons and, judging by previous weeks, probably another free thing they aren't announcing yet. Or maybe it's just Squadrons, who knows?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

dogstile posted:

Its Horizon Chase Turbo.

Eh

*adds to library anyway*

Honestly, Horizon Chase Turbo's pretty good. I only have it because Epic gave it out years ago, but life's too short to not enjoy a simple racing game every now and then.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

And next week's free Epic games are:

City of Gangsters, a tycoon game about your gang taking over a Prohibition-era city. Other people can say if it's actually good, but the concept's pretty clear.

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, the standalone DLC for Dishonored 2 about the assassin from the first game's DLC and his old apprentice killing the weird rear end in a top hat god-being that keeps giving people the ability to teleport.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Those types of devices have proved fairly unpopular though, right? I’m sure they’ve sold millions, but iirc both Facebook and Amazon consider their listening device initiatives failures.

As I understand it, the 'problem' is that they were going to use devices like this to make people buy more, but in practice everyone only uses these speakers for things that are fundamentally impossible to monetize. They wanted people to buy things through Alexa, and instead they have a million people who bought speakers at-cost who keep asking about the weather. They're getting a lot of information from their daily lives, but they didn't invest all that money in them just for information when they already have so much information on everyone thanks to the modern social media panopticon.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Recipe For Disaster, a restaurant management sim, is currently free on Epic.

Next week's free game is Warpips, one of those games about sending waves of units in a straight line at the enemy base that's sending waves of units at you (but with voxel graphics).

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

aniviron posted:

For what it's worth, the better part of a decade ago I was watching Warren Spector shoot the poo poo with some of the other Deus Ex dev team veterans and he mentioned that he thinks Fallout 3/NV are immersive sims or at least adjacent to the genre. While Spector is absolutely full of hot air, his opinion on this matter does carry some weight.

And to be fair, the things that Bethesda-era Fallout games are best are the parts it shares with immersive sims. Bethesda is honestly really good at making interesting environments and letting you learn about the lives of minor characters while crawling through their vents. The parts of the games that fail are the RPG mechanics and the writing.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

To be clear, New Vegas is trans culture the way wearing a Zelda shirt and cargo shorts is trans culture. It isn't, really, every disaffected nerd boy at the time experienced it. It's just that a decent percentage of them are now disaffected nerd women and are making memes for each other.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Farquar posted:

What is IK?

I assume idiot king, the term for when someone on SA is given mod privileges for a specific thread.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Murder By Numbers, and the worst thing I can say about it is that it took them until the third of four cases to write a shallow but entertaining mystery where everyone involved wasn't weirdly annoying.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

The whole thing seems either not thought through or designed to punish free to play games. Why can't they just do a portion of revenue since they already need you to report revenue anyways? It's not like they have any variable costs per install to recoup.

Unreal charges 5% on revenue past 1 million lifetime. No weird pricing incentives, no donut holes, just "the more money you make, the more money we make."

In any case, I doubt this game will hit the $200k/year threshold for 2024, unless epic paid them that much for the deal.

The more that's come out about this and the general state of Unity, the more it sounds like this was a blatant attempt to force everyone onto their personal ad service and the only point of the fees is to be a big, scary cudgel. So yes, the people making decisions didn't think about all the games that would be affected that don't have ad-based hooks for them to slot into, but I doubt that they wanted to make money specifically from revenue fees with this.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

Thanks, picked up the free base game just now. Haven’t played any AC since getting 1&2 on CD-ROMs at Walmart. Is Syndicate any good?

It's the last of the old-style Assassin's Creeds, and if I remember correctly it's generally considered a return to form after Unity was a hot mess. It was still an extremely tired form and it has a bunch of Ubisoft map things vying for your attention so it wasn't exactly on many Best of 2015 lists, but there's worse ways to spend your time.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Infinifactory is this week's free Epic game. Do you want a Zachtronics game about building factories? Well, you're getting one either way, so embrace the optimization puzzle.

EDIT: Oh, and next week's free game is Doors: Paradox, a cute little puzzle game I wouldn't go out of my way to buy but seems like a fun little game to play if you get it for free. (Yes, "you can't play games you get for free", we all know about not playing free games.)

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 25, 2024

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Gun Jam posted:

The beast inside is free on GOG for the next 67 hours!
(anyone ever heard of this game?)

The demo made some waves in the "people yelling at horror games" community on Youtube, but as far as I can tell it didn't exactly stick the landing once you got past the initial haunted house segments and into parts with more gameplay. So, it could be worse but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Drowning Rabbit posted:

OK I'm going a little insane. In the tutorial, I got it by brute forcing, but what the hell are you supposed to do to see which of the girls match up to their photos!?

I'm obviously past it now, but I feel like I cheated to get here.

It's been a while since I played that part, but if I remember correctly it's simple: if you search for one of their names directly, you find a fanpage. That fanpage says stuff like "I love wearing plaid, Blah's signature look" and "I want to pierce my ears like Bleh", and you combine that with a few of the other facts you should be able to pick up by searching names to attach names to appearance and birth order and sort everything out.