Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

BJPaskoff posted:

Aren't they gearing up to release Starcraft Brood Wars Remastered or something? Giving away a game that no one is going to play as soon as the new version of it coming out is pro marketing. Feed that nostalgia!

The remastered version is on the same engine and multiplayer games can be played between the original version that's now free and the redrawn one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's also free on Steam right now.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh hell yeah Back to Bed is great and you should snag it. The game starts out with the sentence "Bob has narcolepsy" spoken by what sounds like a dangerously intoxicated man and that's pretty much the premise.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Outlast is free via humble with some DLC right now.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Civilization 3 is free via Humble on Steam right now: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/sid-meiers-civilization-iii-complete

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Starcraft 1's writing wasn't exactly Tolstoy but it was pretty solid for a video game, and the character motivations were pretty decent.

Which leads me to being baffled at just how awful and unlikeable they made all the characters in Starcraft 2, they're like caricatures or children's cartoons, with nonsensical motives and uncalled-for theatrics at every turn.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Most of the WoL missions are far faster to complete by not using the units that the game suggests. I remember in particular that just spamming marines works really well on a lot of them, and ghosts with nukes are good for most of the rest.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Some other games can get away with that by making a strong protagonist, either by letting you be so righteous that the bad things you do can be justified or so evil that being bad is part of the fun. The lead in watch_dogs is just so bland and poorly-written that you don't get away with that. It's a shame, the game was reasonably fun, but as others have said, torpedoed by poor writing and severely average gameplay design.

On the plus side, yeah the pretty E3 graphics are fairly easy to unlock and not even that demanding to run. The downside is that they clearly weren't meant to be used to actually play the game, they're just there to show off- it makes some areas too dark to see, blurs and blooms too much sometimes, etc.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't think it's free to keep, if you stop the install it disappears from your library.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-red-solstice

Free from Humble for about two more days.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The Amnesia Collection (as in Dark Descent and Machine for Pigs) is free for 44 more hours: https://www.humblebundle.com/store/amnesia-collection

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cortex Command is free to keep if you grab it now. http://store.steampowered.com/app/209670/Cortex_Command/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I played DS1 for the first time recently; I highly recommend going to the pc gaming wiki/wsgf articles and doing some of the recommended tweaks, field of view especially. I know that having it narrow was an aesthetic and gameplay choice but drat it's unplayable on a monitor, was clearly a game designed to be played on a large screen across the room. There's also some really fucky stuff going on with mouse movement, but there is something you can install to fix that too. Was pretty decent overall.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The fucky mouse movement is usually related to having vsync on, turning it off will fix it for most but not all people.

There's more to it than that. I'll just link the file that fixes it, but effectively the sensitivity is framerate dependent, differs between the X and Y axes on the screen, has a dead zone regardless of input method, and acceleration. Turning vsync off won't fix all of that.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

bbcisdabomb posted:

DS3 is a surprisingly good game, but the horror is almost always killed by the fact you have another person around*. It has some legitimately creepy parts during the optional co-op only areas and is honestly worth a play if you have a buddy to play with.

* Also by the upgradable guns. It's really hard to scare me when I'm packing a rocket launcher that I can detonate at my feet with no self-damage.

Haven't played DS2 but that was very true in DS1 for sure. It seemed very easy to get into an out-of-control power loop where I sold extra health because I didn't need it, so my guns were better than expected. This meant I took even less damage and used less ammo than normal so I could sell more of both to upgrade even more, etc etc. As my roommate commented, "I think the scary music is playing for the monsters, not for you. They're running away from you, this is a horror game for them, not for you."

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Game isn't without problems, but it does a lot of stuff right. There are a lot of places that let you avoid the white phosphorous debacle when you seem forced into it all over again, but the game doesn't tell you, you need to think of it for yourself. You can shoot down the guys being hanged, you can fire above the crowd of civilians to scare them away, etc. Most of the time you're not forced into a bad choice, but you aren't being told PRESS A TO NOT EXECUTE CIVILIANS PRESS B TO GUN THEM DOWN. Requires a bit more problem solving.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

For the moment, Totally Accurate Battlegrounds is free to keep if you get it now, not sure how long this has left on the promo. Game itself is sort of what you'd expect, a half-parody half-clone of pubg style games, except everything is physics based.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

You can unsub immediately though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Xander77 posted:

It doesn't appear to be in "settings". Where?

Settings, contact preferences. Uncheck everything.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Running the world. A new age!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

More Epic store giveaways.

https://twitter.com/EpicGames/status/1098613434105630720

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Hat Thoughts posted:

what makes u think that their cut is unsustainable? U imagine Steam is making a minimal profit on their store-front? Even when Epic has less hooks designed 2 trap u in their ecosystem (workshop, marketplace, forums, badges, etc.)? How does something like Itch.IO exist when they're significantly more dev-friendly in their percentages? Obviously they're a smaller store-front but what...u imagine if they got bigger they'd instantly collapse? Or they're secretly bleeding tons & are cynically scheming?
I mean, yes, if a company has a monopoly then there's lots of incentive for them to exploit everyone for the bottom line. But Steam has that monopoly rn & are doing that exact thing with their revenue cut...the solution isn't "well let's all switch to EGS" and 'capitalist competition' doesn't actually work but, if a developer sees that a company gives them a bigger cut, they don't owe fealty or loyalty to Steam or whatever

& the worst-case scenario ur portraying is that if u buy something frorm Epic & the dev gets a bigger cut than Steam, eventually they might return to the same revenue cut for Devs that Steam already has (because then they'll be a monopoly...like Steam already is) ,so, for now, who cares? It's a roundabout way 2 get ur tax money back from Epic/Disney & China

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1091025939109199879?s=20

Tim Sweeney, head of Epic, says that 12% is such a slim margin that even doing something as fundamental as not charging the customer more for payment processing would make selling games unprofitable. When people trot out the long, long list of features that Steam has which the EGS lacks, that is why. Developing and maintaining those features is expensive. That is what the extra cut Valve takes is for. When EGS says they will stop having exclusives once Steam charges 12%, that's some bullshit because Epic knows that 12% simply will not cover the costs of running Steam.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fuzz posted:

Stop crying about EGS exclusives. You literally NEED to have competition for Steam otherwise as time goes on and their monopoly continues to just do the bare minimum while carving out a chunk and then gouging prices in sales, publishers WILL stop bothering with PC gaming. Competition drives improvement, which overall will lead to more aggressive marketing and lower commission fees over time. It's not the ONLY reason EGS exists, but it's a reason why having one store that does everything is actually bad for the pastime, in the long run.

The image is misleading, I will absolutely cop to that, but it gets the point across. Steam has the clout that, if they wanted to, they could force companies to sign exclusives with them. They don't do this, and most games can be bought from steam, gog, itch, and the developer's website. People keep using Steam because it has a lot of useful features and has proven that it's likely to be around for quite a while longer.

Yeah, Steam could be a lot better. But I would much rather Steam be dominant than have their position with EGS reversed. I happily use GOG and other platforms, but am not really interested in switching to a service that is demonstrably worse than Steam in every way which also uses lovely tactics to try and generate sales.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

And to bring it back around, it's based closely on the free flash game Pandemic from a decade and a half ago.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

drat, must be a fuckton of new free games, look at all these posts!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

~Coxy posted:

Sure if you sort the list of titles Alphabetically for some reason.
But if you're looking for Civ VI then you can punch 'civ' into the search box and it will come straight up.

Changing the sort did nothing for me, setting it to recent still kept everything alphabetical, which was fun. But the search does work, so half credit.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Xander77 posted:

Shame. It brought back some memories from my teenage years - an arcade beat-em-up where you also control a large crowd, but it's actually a diverse crowd of fantasy archetypes, rather than a bunch of sprite clones.

Wonder what that was? Google isn't being very helpful.

Maybe the thread about helping goons remember old games would be more helpful?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I know someone who swears by QETC as an alternative to WASD, which was apparently one of the control schemes in Deus Ex. I guess I can see it if you have really large hands or something, but it always felt weird to me.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

For the next 48 hours or so Teleglitch: Die More Edition is free on GoG.

https://www.gog.com/game/teleglitch_die_more_edition

Teleglitch is really really loving hard, but it's also a fun and cool game. I never got to the end but it's got a great moody style and fun lore and tight gameplay. Definitely recommend this.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

dogstile posted:

Give me big rigs or give me death

Is Big Rigs even for sale anywhere anymore?

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't want to engage with this too heavily because it's personal, but the Brigador poo poo has been blown drastically out of proportion. Gauss, the dev in question and a goon, said some lovely things- I don't think this comes as much of a surprise. People in this thread calling him a literal nazi are just looking for someone to smear, though. The Brigador server that he helped found and run has always been a place of kindness, inclusiveness, and tolerance. This is not how a nazi manages a community, and I think that should speak for itself.

Anyway, Brigador is a good game. I don't blame anyone for passing up a game for moral reasons, feel free to miss it if you don't feel comfortable with it, there are a lot of good games out there. I know gauss well enough that it's painful to watch him get smeared by people who don't care for any of the nuance of the situation and just like to bring drama around. Not gonna talk about it more from here, I always hate it when people poo poo up the free games thread, but I don't want to let this slide.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh, and: there's a free game on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/729660/Blackout_Z_Slaughterhouse_Edition/

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

repiv posted:

Night in the Woods is free on EGS today

GREGG RULZ OK

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fried Watermelon posted:

Goons first got me to buy a bidet and now they are trying to make me get a password manager. What's next? Flossing?

:eng101: Actually, flossing is just as important as brushing your teeth, if not more. Brushing only does so much to prevent gingivitis; don't google that if you're easily grossed out.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mention of the Bethesda Launcher next to the gamepass made me suddenly realize that this is weird; Microsoft now owns multiple storefronts that are competing with one another.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Coolguye posted:

at least it's not that loving war cow from UT99 where its 'head' was somewhere in the middle of its gun

I introduced a friend to UT99 for the first time two weeks ago and he immediately gravitated to the cow; I had to explain why it might not make him popular on the servers.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Don't play Surviving Mars. There is currently a bug where your colonists get stuck on storage bins trying to get food (even if there are other sources). They spin in place until they starve and die. They also can get stuck on farms... Then you have to destroy the building to free them, but in the meantime your colony takes a hit for someone dying. Oh and once one dies from starvation, the others that are stuck will start to commit suicide. It's a downward spiral that I found after playing 8 hours of it.

If they fix the bug though it seems pretty fun! You know, the parts without the mass mars suicide.

My favourite thing about this is that I played SM on launch a couple years ago, and the game was suffering the same bugs back then. Not the exact same bugs but every single one of my colonies ended because the colonists would find a new and exciting way to kill themselves, sending the colony into a death spiral. Agggh, I hate waiting five minutes for this train! I know, I should take a two-day walk to the next dome instead of waiting for the train! Oh nooo I only had six hours of oxygen agh agh I am dying help how could you fail me like this, administrator.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I really liked Tharsis. It's a game with dice but it's not any more brutally random than something like FTL. The game gives you lovely rolls, and you decide what to do with them; you have enough options for how you build your team and what you want to specialize in that you can make meaningful choices. It's not an easy game to win, but that feels kind of in keeping with both the desperate tone of the game and the roguelike gameplay loop.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

El Fideo posted:

Lotteries for the opportunity to buy computer hardware? Very cyberpunk.

Most of the time it sucks, anyway: you won the lottery! Now you have the opportunity to buy this GPU at MSRP... and it comes bundled with a 400 dollar add-on that nobody wants which Newegg is having trouble moving stock of! Now it's like you're paying scalper prices anyway, but you get some garbage with your card!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Oh wow, 70 new posts in the free games thread! Guess there are a lot of holiday giveaways happen- :stare:

Prey is dope as poo poo though, it's a fantastic game and even if you just collect games and don't play them you should play this one, I won't tell anyone. It's System Shock 3 but better than SS3 would have ever been.

Runs pretty well too, my ten year old windows 7 brick ran it.