Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

~Coxy posted:

You can also get Bravelands and The Ship from visiting the site at least 5 times in 7 days.

Where is this listed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

doctorfrog posted:

I think I can one up this guy. I use an old launcher designed for flash drives to organize my video games, give them little custom icons and launch them, as well as any helper programs, manuals, or wikis. I mostly have GOG titles but it’ll launch Steam games too. It’s probably a manifestation of a significant mental illness but it makes me a jolly gamer.

Pssh, real pros launch into command line and run the batch file they created that goes to the directory with cd\ commands and then runs the exe.

Sometimes this may include a boot disc to give yourself more EMS ram.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Axiom Verge is some dude's really specific and loving weird self-insert fantasy that reads like a completely stupid fanfiction.

I mean, it had some novel traversal mechanics and guns, but a lot of it feels like, "hey, this is cool, let's just shove it in there!" Without much other thought or actual design. I mean, the glitch area mechanic alone is such dogshit that I don't even know how people could bother. "Hey, there are glitch areas scattered completely at random around the world and you may have to do one of 3 different things against a completely nondescript section of wall/ceiling/floor and you can get an item to find these areas but it only clues you in by adding really faint scanlines to your health bar, like only that part of the screen is an old CRT. Also you have no idea how many of these areas happened to be in this iteration of the world. YEAH!"

Then there's the often really lovely area design, plus the guns which ranged from "holy poo poo this is brokenly good" to "Why the gently caress would I ever use this for any reason."

I mean, it's a mediocre Metroidvania at best. For free? Yeah, can't hurt and it has some cool bosses. But it's not actually a good game.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Feb 9, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Hollow Knight was patched into a bad game with 2 ridiculous loving bosses now, too. :smith:

The aesthetic and gameplay are great in it, but holy poo poo it falls apart in long not fights where there's no window to use the really slow heal, especially with the boss that does two health pips with every hit.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I've spent a lot of time reading reviews and descriptions of Metroidvanias in an attempt to find the "good" ones. Too much time. What I have learned is that nobody can agree on this. I was going to say maybe Hollow Knight is an exception, but the post above me saw to that. To this day, I still don't know what the good ones are.

edit: I actually thought this was the Steam thread, so I dunno why I even posted this here

The recent Strider remake is loving fantastic. Shadow Complex was also really good.

Very different vibe but amazing art - Aquaria is technically a Metroidvania and utterly beautiful and great.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Feb 9, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yeah I couldn't get the claim to work. Oh well.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

They're only free with Nitro on my end.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Now you too can play through the creepily possessive and unhealthily obsessive tale of a guy creeping on a girl!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

You're thinking of Braid but Limbo's kind of crap anyway

goferchan posted:

Again, that's Braid, but doesn't the whole ending kind of villify him for it anyway? I don't think the story's very well-done but I remember the takeaway being "she's not into you, get over it"

Yeah, good call, dunno why I mixed those up.

Ugh, Braid. The core gameplay was clever, but fuuuuuck that story.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Yoku's is amazing, everyone should play it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Some hot takes on Origins in here. It's not that bad a game overall and honestly I enjoyed its story far more than Knight. It channels several classic Batman storylines and coalesces it into a good early take. Doesn't break much new ground other than the tether gun, gameplay wise, but overall it's well done and the villains who are there are utilized well, for the most part. Better final boss than Asylum, too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

aba posted:

I think that Origins has the best take on the Batman as the world's greatest detective. In all the others he's just another protagonist punching his way through.

Agreed.

RBA Starblade posted:

Arkham Origins was one of the most broken games I'd ever played at launch and that's saying a lot

RBA Starblade posted:

Which is the one about Batman starting out and fighting Bane, that one

Levels just stopped loading after a while so I got to fight Firefly on a grey texture

I played it maybe 3 or 4 months after launch and never had any technical issues other than sometimes the Executioner gloves would continue to electrocute guys after you knocked them out so their bodies would just flail around on the ground repeatedly.

As far as I'm concerned, that actually made the game better.

Also the Deathstroke fight was great.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

dogstile posted:

I still maintain the next batman needs to rip off the nemesis system

This but with Mad Max. It would be perfect, have them start modding their vehicles specifically in response to how you kicked their rear end, as well as the scars and phobias and whatnot.

Just endless wasteland nemesis vehicle combat with lots of explosions and dudes in weird bondage poo poo. It would be glorious. :black101:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

The only puzzles worth doing are the photo riddles.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

If you like FS2, definitely check out Blue Planet and War in Heaven.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Freespace hands down it's the best space flight game series made thus far. It's really sad that 20 years later nothing has even come close, but then again it's a mostly dead genre, unfortunately.

But hey, STAR CITIZEN will correct all that and also be the second coming of christ, right?!?! :shepspends:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

njsykora posted:

Yeah they've probably been grabbed by scraper bots who grab Steam keys, it's why people always leave a character out when posting them on Twitter. Aegis Defenders is also gone.

Yep.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Griefor posted:

I have activated 80-90% of the free EGS games, and have yet to install the game launcher. I'm not sure if I ever will.

But I guess they've succeeded in getting my eyeballs on their storefront with this.

Same, although I stupidly missed Jotun last week and am annoyed at myself over it since that is one of the games that actually interested me.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

flatluigi posted:

If you started the qubic switch games giveaway chain the other day, today's the first day of getting the rest: https://qubicgames.com/15years/

Didn't know about this, too late now since I would have qualified.

Whelp. That sucks.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

And it's an awesome game.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Stop crying about EGS exclusives. You literally NEED to have competition for Steam otherwise as time goes on and their monopoly continues to just do the bare minimum while carving out a chunk and then gouging prices in sales, publishers WILL stop bothering with PC gaming. Competition drives improvement, which overall will lead to more aggressive marketing and lower commission fees over time. It's not the ONLY reason EGS exists, but it's a reason why having one store that does everything is actually bad for the pastime, in the long run.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

It 100% is lighting a fire under Valve's rear end and requiring them to put in more effort, especially as this trend continues and more and more impatient gamers get their fix for new releases on EGS instead of Steam. EGS has barely been out for a year, it'd take at least 3-4 years to start denting the monopoly.

I'm not a gung ho capitalist by any stretch, but allowing monopolies with unfettered capitalism is terrible and bad for its own reasons... It's one of the only cases where the free market can actually solve the problem.

That said, gently caress China and gently caress the identity surveillance stuff, that really is sketchy.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

The main comment everyone throws out is that it's motion sickness-inducing but not why...Also that they abandoned updating it and that it's missing features the 2d version has at this point. Still on the fence about playing the port over the normal version.

The only thing that gets me sick in VR is smooth turning for some reason. Being able to free spin in place ruins me, whereas I can spin around just as fast with no ill effect with snap turn..no clue why it's not the reverse like I'd expect.

You get loading hitches regardless of your rig because the engine is so lovely. They're small, but over time the framerate fluctuations when you have no other point of references to focus on can cause severe vertigo in a lot of people.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

had them both on Steam for a while, but Darksiders I and II for free is a pretty great giveaway.

I prefer the original (it doesn't aspire to be anything more than Zelda with God of War combat, and mostly does a good job of that). the sequel is unnecessarily bloated both in terms of length and extraneous RPG elements, but it's still worth playing if you liked the original

Darksiders 3 goes back to a style closer to 1, but with methodical Dark Souls style combat where you can only dodge, not block, and you die really quickly if you get hit.

It's actually quite good and has some cool bits in it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

Spoiler-tagged since I just remembered this is actually the Free Games thread.

EPISODE IX

THE RISE OF SKYWALKER

The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.

GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.

Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power.

https://imgur.com/gallery/mbRrjK0

Only click if you're okay with spoilers.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

You should be playing it in VR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEd1TaGd-xA

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Oh gross, Offworld Trading Company is published by Brad Wardell, noted creep. Please consider not clicking the buy button, as it might reduce the take he's gonna rake in from the promo ;)

What's the story here?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

We have a freeware game thread now already, it's done, holy poo poo stop telling about why we need one and pay about free game deals.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Geemer posted:

Welp, after an hour SE finally finished processing my key and now Steam says 'product already owned' so I'm SOL for the DLC. Oh well. :shrug:

I'll take the key, since I didn't claim it on steam yet anyway.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dunno what the fuss is, I just added both games just fine without 2FA on.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I love how everyone is butthurt about 2FA on EGS but 90% of you assholes use SteamGuard and have no issue with it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Liberty and Vice City Stories were free at some point too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

My money is on either of the first two Tomb Raider games or some other ubi thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Handsome collection refers to all games featuring Handsome Jack. To be fair, nothing of value is lost by skipping to Borderlands 2. The only thing that you'll miss is that the playable characters from the first game come back as NPCs in the second game. Those characters have literally no personalities in the first game so the only thing you need to know is that they exist.

Um, gently caress you, you'll also miss Tanis' logs which are basically the only funny thing in any of the main Borderlands games.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

People complaining about Absolution clearly never played Silent Assassin, which was exactly the same way. It was a weird choice to try to go back to the roots of the series when the roots were kinda not great and not nearly as good as what the series had already evolved into.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

I'll not continue the derail beyond saying that Absolution is Much Much Worse than anything that came before it in the series.

I mean, no one was arguing that?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I too bought it three years ago but I've kept myself purer than yourself by not even installing it since I bought it! pleasesendhelp

I got you both beat, it came for free with my video card, I redeemed it via email, and have subsequently never touched it. TAKE THAT, UBISOFT. :smugbert:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

El_Elegante posted:

Wishing for kart racer Warhammer 40K rites of way

Would unironically totally grab this day one, regardless of the gameplay.

Also a version like Rocket League.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Social Animal posted:

I remember seeing the option for mouse back then and thinking “someone out there plays these games with only a mouse??”

I had a friend that played Duke 3D with a mouse and I thought he was a lunatic. Jedi Knight was the first game to make me see the light, and consequently since it had invert mouse on by default, I'm now permanently an invert mouse person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I always forget about track balls. Buddy of mine in middle school's dad was a track ball user and was insane at CS. No idea how but it worked for him.

Clearly he was just really skilled at handling balls.

Couldn't resist, dammit!