Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who loving sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ugh, why do you place garbage like "Midnight" next to brilliance like "Forest of the Dead"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bicyclops posted:

-every person who has spent too much time watching Doctor Who, with maybe the titles reversed if they aren't on board with these two particular (right) examples

i thought you were a bad person, who thought midnight, was good

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Acne Rain posted:

But midnight WAS good.

please do not troll the Doctor Is Who thread in the Television IV, forums poster acne rain!!!!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i refuse to seriouspost about doctors, who or otherwise, in this thread but nice try bicyclops

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

don't see how that guy is relevant to DW, burkion

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Burkion posted:

Hungry Earth

what?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Seriously did you write something, burkion? because this is what showed up on my screen

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Burkion posted:

The one with Mengelelizard, who the Doctor praises and buddies up with.

Vivisects people.

You know.

No...no that isn't ringing a bell, sorry

i think you must be mistaken, burkion. oh, wait, you're thinking of that Three story, right? yeah, i heard about that one

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i ended up watching the eleventh hour again today, for like the tenth time now

that episode is so goddamn perfect, man gently caress

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm writing a Thing and I need classic who experts to weigh in and confirm or deny

basically i have no idea what classic who is like, but from what i understand it was heavily serialized (as in, containing serials), with each season consisting of several stories consisting of multiple episodes each

six or more was not uncommon, four was roughly the norm

narratively speaking episodes didn't really function at all individually because they were explicitly parts of a greater whole

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 20, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

okay

followup

is the series nine episode "Under the Lake" like classic who

and i mean, outside of the MUST SEE CLASSICS or whatever. if you were to take an average episode of classic who would it, more or less, be like under the lake, and if not why not

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

oh good, chibnall's taking over, what with his reputation for stellar writing like most of broadchurch season one and

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gorn Myson posted:

If we're talking about a list of talented British show-runners/producers, its probably not a long list.

yeah there's really no other options

any option that would be available is busy in other projects or wouldn't want to

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

are all the people smugly crowing about how great chibnall is for unseating the Great Evil Moffat just like

not watch any of Chibnall's episodes, or only dinosaurs on a spaceship

i'm genuinely curious here, because oofdah doofah is chibnall's track record easily one of the worst on DW, only to be rivalled by what

peter harness? helen raynor?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ah gently caress i'm seriousposting about who

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :qq:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Sentinel Red posted:

Okay, fess up, which one of you fucks owns a monkey's paw?

https://twitter.com/SAOccupation/status/690687614345588736

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Counterpoint: Aliens of London is great

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

but enough about doctor who

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

A non doctor who fan knows what Torchwood is?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rochallor posted:

Say that again in about four episodes' time. Ah, never mind, you'll probably hate them.

nice

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm probably gonna end up buying Oxxipation or Toxxidation for maximum hilarity

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

aw gently caress oxx we done got roasted

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

hmm, what does the guy who wrote the shakespeare code think about other people

https://twitter.com/OldRoberts953/status/707586686176370688

k cool opinion guy who wrote planet of the dead

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Cerv posted:

what on earth is this referring to?

#thetriggering is a current hashtag making the rounds on twitter for people to "Talk real" to "SJWs"

what it really is is a way for racists, sexists, transphobic people to say their horrible opinions and hide behind the paper-thin defense of "shutting down the essjaydubs"

like, here's common examples of the great opinions of #thetriggering

https://twitter.com/jwoulfsholokhov/status/707701979816919040

https://twitter.com/TrumpHat/status/707692708249387010

https://twitter.com/tassostsl/status/707690979088863232

anyways, the guy who wrote the unicorn and the wasp is basically saying a meme about how people who call themselves gay, trans, etc aren't "identifying" as anything, they're utilizing labelization in substitution of a personality

basically he's decidin to dunk on the marginalized but in the most passive-aggressive and pissant way possible

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i gotta say, dudes, series nine of DW is just one long exhausting bummer

im kinda glad of the break tbh because this has been one intensely draining season

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i mean tbf the specific way i watch it exacerbates the issues but i really don't like really not liking watching doctor who

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

i dunno, i wanted to keep it out of the other thread for obvious reasons but in this year and a half or so I can honestly say i never felt this beaten down by watchin who

even series one, which is like...garbage i was viewing with the expectation that it was horrible,

nine is just like, every possible misstep that could be made is made over and over and it's SUPER depressing

it's frustrating because i came into this season all boned up for it i was SUPER excited and every subsequent week I just got more and more like "oh, this is...this is just not good, huh"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dabir posted:

If you're getting sad about season nine, you could always go back and watch Nine's season. It holds up a lot better when you have... this... to compare it to.

Uh huh uh huh *slowly backs away* Good idea, dabir, i'll go do that *opens the door behind me and slowly closes it, continues talking through the wall* Sounds like an interesting juxtaposition, maybe I was just too harsh on Series One the first time *starts pouring gasoline on the outside of the door* I'll get cracking on re-reviews, buddy *lights door on fire*

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"enjoyment" and "Series One" are antonyms, though...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

No yes yes no eh yes

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Burkion posted:

Hell Bound is just such a disappointment to follow up Heaven Sent.

Mmm, nah.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Wait, who are the spic and the geography teacher supposed to be?

pretty sure that's supposed to be "spaz"

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

wait spiv's an actual word

also oh right spaz has the whole thing in the uk thing

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Now that the Chibnall Era has some distance from its announcement, the time has come to make catchphrases. Davies had the Gay Agenda, Moffat has the Scottish Agenda - what will Chibnall have? I expect his tenure to feature a Pop Culture Agenda, if his previous Doctor Who episodes are any precedent.

Pedophile Agenda

Me confirmed for next new Companion

:getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin::getin:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Burkion posted:

Can we not

Please

The Brits have a *BAD* history of having very famous people who were also pedophiles.

Don't bring this evil here.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh, ok. It can't be offensive, it's old slang. Did they also have to change the title of "friend of the family in the woodpile"?

reminder that you're arguing with a guy defendin the black eyed fuckin peas

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

so guys i finished series nine and the xmas special

woof. woof.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

gently caress "The Zygon Inversion", just...oh my loving god I genuinely unironically sincerely hate that piece of hackneyed regressive garbage and it's literally the only episode of DW I will genuinely seriouspost about in this thread.

That episode is such the loving worst, it encapsulates everything wrong and misguided with Peter Harness as a scriptwriter, his regressive and downright dangerous viewpoints that infects the entire thing with a hardline conservative miasma of privilege and racial essentialism. It's the worst. It's the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Enourmo posted:

if you watch just one episode, it's absolutely Heaven Sent.

weird way to spell Listen

• Locked thread